Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

Pet Drinking Fountains - ceramic, stainless steel, or custom made?

I'm getting ready to buy a new pet drinking fountain. I currently have the Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain. It's becoming a real pain to clean, and seems to develop a slimy residue constantly. It's made of plastic. I've been looking around online and ceramic or stainless steel seem to be the way to go to solve the problem. Plus, I now realize how bad plastic can be for cats after researching the other types of fountains. I've found several different models of stainless steel and ceramic fountains on amazon. I also found this interesting model (not on amazon)...
http://www.glacierpointforcats.com/p...t_fountain.php
The fountain looks ugly and at over $200 is expensive for a water bowl, but I'm leaning towards getting it. After reading through all the info on his website, he kind of has me a little neurotic about getting anything else. Does anyone else have one of these, or have you heard anything, good or bad, about these pet fountains?
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Lisa_M
DIS Veteran

That site was interesting. We had a drinkwell fountain for our cats and the complaints that he discusses were definitely our issues as well. When we tried to clean the small parts and sterilize them using super hot water, they melted. That was the end of our fountain. I don't know about your cat, but the only thing that my cats would not like about this one that you linked is that there is no falling water. They LOVED to drink from the falling stream. I keep trying to talk DH into buying another fountain because it really did entice them to drink more water, but cleaning that drinkwell was a PITA.

looking back, I'd stay away from the plastic models.

ETA, the other thing interesting about that guys fountain was that if you end up upgrading to the immune support model, he'll put what you've paid for the other one towards it. It's still a ton of money for a waterdish though.
Me DH DD DD #2 my little babeski
Lisa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
schmitty
Quack, quack, quack, Donald Duck He's my little pal

If you are getting scared about what type of water bowl to buy your cat. You are a victim of fear mongoring. Out ice cubes in an old dish. Problem saved and more than 99% cheaper than a loud contraption the cat wont like to be near.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Disneylover79
I'm a cheap date!
Thinks Dr. House is sexy!

We just bought the stainless steel Pioneer Pet Big Max water fountain for our 3 cats....we had the ceramic version and it leaked water...we have only had the stainless steel one for 2 days but so far it is great the cats love it!!

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=1680&bih=946#
Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Lisa_M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover79 View Post
We just bought the stainless steel Pioneer Pet Big Max water fountain for our 3 cats....we had the ceramic version and it leaked water...we have only had the stainless steel one for 2 days but so far it is great the cats love it!!

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=1680&bih=946#
Did the ceramic one leak because the cats knocked the top part over? Is the top ceramic as well?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_M View Post
I don't know about your cat, but the only thing that my cats would not like about this one that you linked is that there is no falling water. They LOVED to drink from the falling stream.
Interesting info on this thread. My cat LOVES drinking out of the bathroom faucet. She actually loves licking the side of the faucet more than getting water out of it. I think it's the suckling action really loves. I think instinctively it reminds her of feeding from her mother when she was a kitten. I'd love to get her a fountain, but only if it has water falling and some type of protruding nozzle she can lick.

She's also not into cold water necessarily. I catch her drinking warm water, too.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Wall-E1
Dis DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_M View Post
That site was interesting. We had a drinkwell fountain for our cats and the complaints that he discusses were definitely our issues as well. When we tried to clean the small parts and sterilize them using super hot water, they melted. That was the end of our fountain. I don't know about your cat, but the only thing that my cats would not like about this one that you linked is that there is no falling water. They LOVED to drink from the falling stream. I keep trying to talk DH into buying another fountain because it really did entice them to drink more water, but cleaning that drinkwell was a PITA.

looking back, I'd stay away from the plastic models.

ETA, the other thing interesting about that guys fountain was that if you end up upgrading to the immune support model, he'll put what you've paid for the other one towards it. It's still a ton of money for a waterdish though.
There is falling water. The video shows it. There is an adjustable spout so you can adjust the flow from a dribble to a more waterfall effect. My cat also likes falling water, so that is important for us also. Also, our cat does like cold water, so I think that will increase her water consumption.

I also liked the fact that I could upgrade and just pay the difference if needed.

I sent the inventor an email asking a few questions yesterday. I think I'm probably going to pull the trigger and order the thing. After googling for more info about ceramic and stainless steel fountains, it seems even they can contain harmful chemicals. I really like that every part of his fountains are certified safe by NSF and USFDA.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Lisa_M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-E1 View Post
There is falling water. The video shows it. There is an adjustable spout so you can adjust the flow from a dribble to a more waterfall effect. My cat also likes falling water, so that is important for us also. Also, our cat does like cold water, so I think that will increase her water consumption.

I also liked the fact that I could upgrade and just pay the difference if needed.

I sent the inventor an email asking a few questions yesterday. I think I'm probably going to pull the trigger and order the thing. After googling for more info about ceramic and stainless steel fountains, it seems even they can contain harmful chemicals. I really like that every part of his fountains are certified safe by NSF and USFDA.
Now that I watched the video, I'm even more intrigued. If you order it, please come back and update how the kitty likes it
Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Alphacat
Earning My Ears

Ugly cat fountain

I am the guy who makes and markets the ugly Glacier Point Cat Fountain. I know its not good looking but so am I. I just wanted to offer some thoughts especially concerning the price and who loves the fountain and why.
I discourage people from buying the electronically chilled model, aka the Perfect Fountain as $220 is a lot of money for most folks. I strongly suggest trying The Basic Fountian at $90 because there is a 60 day money back guarantee and most folks are happy with the Basic and the ability to easily and quickly clean the thing and with the exclusive glass bottle refill system it is easy to keep the water at 60 degrees. The reviews on the website are the best place to find out if my fountains are really the best.
Barrry, aka, alphacat
Alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Wall-E1
Dis DAD

Update - Okay, I've been using the new Glacier Point fountain for a little over a week now. I ended up getting the basic version. It kind of looks like a high school science project, but it has grown on me. It seems to have solved all the issues I was having with our past fountains. There's no slimy residue build up, no clogging, water is clean and filtered (2 filters are used on this fountain). The pump is more powerful than our past fountains and gives a nice "waterfall effect" that our cat enjoys. I feel better knowing that the materials used are all safe and approved. Plus, my cat has definitely been drinking more since the new fountain arrived. I did call the guy who makes the fountains to ask a few questions, and found him to be very helpful and informative. I would recommend this fountain for anyone who has been having issues with other fountains.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
escape
Mouseketeer
I don't buy it. I'm much more weird than that!

Thanks for posting this. I'm in the market for a new fountain; I've been leaning toward the stainless steel.

How easy is it to clean your new fountain? It is ugly; however, if it does the job and does it well, then it will be worth it.

Disney Races Completed: 2007 - WDW Half, Tower of Terror 13K; 2008 - WDW Marathon , Minnie 15K, Disneyland Half; 2009 - Race for the Taste; 2010 - GOOFY Challenge; Disneyland Half; WDW Wine & Dine Half; 2012 - WDW Half, WDW Relay
;2013 - Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare
escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Wall-E1
Dis DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Thanks for posting this. I'm in the market for a new fountain; I've been leaning toward the stainless steel.

How easy is it to clean your new fountain? It is ugly; however, if it does the job and does it well, then it will be worth it.
It's very easy to clean. The whole fountain is dishwasher safe, except for the pump. There are also much fewer parts on this fountain. There is only the water dish, glass bottles, pump, and disposable filters. My Drinkwell fountain had many more parts and had to taken apart and cleaned by hand. It was a real pain, and I never could get it perfectly clean.

Be careful with the stainless steel fountains. Like it says on his website, if it is a product from another country like China, it may not be entirely safe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: