Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
auntyjenn
If you can't say it with a puppet, its not worth saying
I must laugh every time too, because I just did

does a child's passport expire when they turn 18?

It doesn't say it expires then, but I remember the lady saying something about it when we got the passports, like we would need a new one for her sooner? maybe it was just that the kids won't last as long as the adult. Just don't want any surprises...
Old 05-21-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
MissReeRee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntyjenn View Post
It doesn't say it expires then, but I remember the lady saying something about it when we got the passports, like we would need a new one for her sooner? maybe it was just that the kids won't last as long as the adult. Just don't want any surprises...
Kids passports are only good for 5 years. They start lasting 10 years after the age of 16 which is how long an adult passport lasts. So depending on the age of your daughter it will either last 5 or 10 years but won't expire when she is 18 (unless she got it at 13).

May 26, 2010 Disney Magic Med Cruise!
June 29, 2011 Disney Magic Med Cruise!
MissReeRee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
ljm23
DIS Veteran

Hi, so this interests me as well because my son's (13) passport expires this year and I just got the forms to renew. I thought it would only be good until he was 16 but am I wrong, will it last the whole 5 years until he's 18? That would be awesome.
Thanks in advance

ljm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

They last the full 5 years. The only reason there is any change in year between adults and kids is that adults don't change very much while kids change a lot. Mine just happens to expire when I turn 18 next year, if I were to have gotten it a year later I would expire when I was 19.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
some_body
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissReeRee View Post
Kids passports are only good for 5 years. They start lasting 10 years after the age of 16 which is how long an adult passport lasts. So depending on the age of your daughter it will either last 5 or 10 years but won't expire when she is 18 (unless she got it at 13).
I will add that passport contains the exact day/month/year of expiration on the page with the photo. So, don't worry about how long it lasts (5 or 10 years), just look at the expiration date.
some_body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Depending on where you plan to travel, some countries want 6 months left on the passport after you intend to leave the country. It's best to renew your passport if you are going to Europe and the passport has less than 6 months left until expiration.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Depending on where you plan to travel, some countries want 6 months left on the passport after you intend to leave the country. It's best to renew your passport if you are going to Europe and the passport has less than 6 months left until expiration.
Was going to say the same thing.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
ljm23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Well, unfortunately we're not doing Europe anytime soon but that seems like a dumb requirement. Good to know though, thanks.

ljm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljm23 View Post
Well, unfortunately we're not doing Europe anytime soon but that seems like a dumb requirement. Good to know though, thanks.
It isn't only European countries that require this. The point is to find out the requirements of the countries where you'll be traveling. If you have less than 6 months left on your passport and you plan to travel outside the US, consider renewing your passport before you depart on your trip.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_body View Post
I will add that passport contains the exact day/month/year of expiration on the page with the photo. So, don't worry about how long it lasts (5 or 10 years), just look at the expiration date.
Yep, the date of expiration on the passport is the real date of expiration no matter how old you are. I got my passport when I was 16 and it expired when I was 26.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
They last the full 5 years. The only reason there is any change in year between adults and kids is that adults don't change very much while kids change a lot. Mine just happens to expire when I turn 18 next year, if I were to have gotten it a year later I would expire when I was 19.
I hope you don't expire at 19.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
auntyjenn
If you can't say it with a puppet, its not worth saying
I must laugh every time too, because I just did

Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure, but I get nervous some times.

They ask for at least 6 months left on your passport in case you get stuck in the country. Don't want it to expire before you get out!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

Does anyone know after the 5 years is up and they are over 16 and moving into the 10 year range, do they start the whole process over [new photos, going to the post office, etc.] or is it a renewal?
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02, 1/15 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~~ Dolphin 12/13 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyworld View Post
Does anyone know after the 5 years is up and they are over 16 and moving into the 10 year range, do they start the whole process over [new photos, going to the post office, etc.] or is it a renewal?
Everyone needs a new passport photo - even for renewals. All of my kids had 5-year passports originally, but I don't recall if they got new passports or renewals after they were 16. (I think they started over with new passports.) A minor has to be accompanied by a parent to get a passport.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyworld View Post
Your first "adult" passport (16+) is treated like a new passport. You can use your old passport as a form of identification.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: