Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #1366
piglet33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler5678 View Post
How much you tip on your private whale tour? Was it just the boat captain or did they have a naturalist onboard as well?
We're planning on tipping 20% of the total cost of the excursion.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #1367
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaso View Post

Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion with Chilkoot Charters...this is the trip to Emerald Lake without the dog sledding. It was amazing. We sat in the caboose of the train and we got so many amazing pictures and videos from the outside back of the train. The train was full but most people were polite about coming and going from the outside of the train. There were about 20-25 people on our little bus and we had James as a tour guide. He told us a lot of great stories about the locals and about his life. We saw 3 different sets of bears and stayed on the side of the road for a long time just snapping picture after picture. Lunch was decent and just the right amount of time. The puppies were a little disappointing as they were napping and we weren't allowed to touch them. Oh well, it wasn't that big of a deal. Emerald Lake was stunning and I highly recommend taking the extra drive to see it.

Whale watching with Harv and Marv...I can't say enough about this excursion. It was better than I could have ever imagined. We were 13 people and had the boat to ourselves. We had a driver and a naturalist (college student who gave narratives and answered all of our questions). We saw so many whales, we learned what bubble netting was, we have so many awesome pictures and videos. I really can't say enough about this trip. Highly recommend!!!
I was just coming to post my experiences but I can just C&P these ones

We did the same excursion in Skagway with Chilkoot Charters (even had James as our guide) but my kids did do the dogcart ride, which they loved. They were also a little disappointed by the sleeping puppies because it was very warm out and most were sleeping under a box in the shade. But they did get to pet a couple. We were also at the back of the train and I had a hard time keeping my DS inside while other people were taking pictures from the back platform. As soon as he saw an open space, he wanted to be back out there

We thought we would be doing whale watching with another group but we ended up with a private Harv and Marv whale watch instead. It was just the three of us with the guide. What an amazing experience. We started out just following two whales for a while but then heard about some other activity and found ourselves in the middle of about 15 whales. They were all around the boat and some even came right up next to us. Just awesome! After the whale watching, they dropped us off at Mendenhall Glacier (we got our own transportation back). That gave us plenty of time to walk the Nugget Falls trail. Unfortunately, right as we arrived at the falls, the rain came pouring down so it was a soggy trip back to the visitor center. Definitely be prepared with good rain shells and waterproof shoes. That saved the excursions for us (both whale watching with light rain and the glacier viewing).

In Ketchikan, we booked with Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours and found this to be a great way to see Ketchikan. We were blessed with a sunny and beautiful day so picture taking was great. Dave (co-owner) took us all over Ketchikan. We tried to see bears but it was too warm for them (but we were still amazed by the number of salmon jumping upstream). We found multiple eagle's nests and got some amazing pictures. Plus we arrived at the totem pole museum/Potlach park before the cruise excursions so we had the place to ourselves. Dave got us back to the ship with plenty of time to go back on board for a snack before heading back out for shopping.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #1368
jtba
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
We thought we would be doing whale watching with another group but we ended up with a private Harv and Marv whale watch instead. It was just the three of us with the guide. What an amazing experience. We started out just following two whales for a while but then heard about some other activity and found ourselves in the middle of about 15 whales. They were all around the boat and some even came right up next to us. Just awesome! After the whale watching, they dropped us off at Mendenhall Glacier (we got our own transportation back). That gave us plenty of time to walk the Nugget Falls trail. Unfortunately, right as we arrived at the falls, the rain came pouring down so it was a soggy trip back to the visitor center. Definitely be prepared with good rain shells and waterproof shoes. That saved the excursions for us (both whale watching with light rain and the glacier viewing).
jetskigrl, this is such perfect timing because we're considering a private tour with Harv & Marv as well! Thank you for the write-up.
jtba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #1369
ohil
Earning My Ears

Just got back from the 8/25 Alaska cruise and it was amazing! We did the helipcopter dogsled in Skagway, which was one of the coolest things we've ever done! I used my gopro to film it, you can go to YouTube and search "Gopro Hero 3- Helicopter Ride and Dog Sledding in Skagway Alaska" to see our trip to the glacier to dogsled. Highly recommend that when you go. Have fun!
ohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #1370
ohil
Earning My Ears

Heres a link to my gopro dogsled helipcopter video, easier to just click! Some decent aerial shots of the Wonder in there too. Let me know what you think! http://youtu.be/Kuh5sZC9A1w
Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #1371
AngelDisney
Dream a Disney Dream 0[;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohil View Post
Just got back from the 8/25 Alaska cruise and it was amazing! We did the helipcopter dogsled in Skagway, which was one of the coolest things we've ever done! I used my gopro to film it, you can go to YouTube and search "Gopro Hero 3- Helicopter Ride and Dog Sledding in Skagway Alaska" to see our trip to the glacier to dogsled. Highly recommend that when you go. Have fun!
Thanks for sharing your dogsledding experience in Alaska. Did you go with Disney or arrange your own? I am interested in the dogsledding excursion but not sure whether I should go with Disney or Non-Disney. We are two adults only. Any advise is appreciated!

AngelDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #1372
ohil
Earning My Ears

We did it in Skagway, and we went directly through Temsco they have a pretty informative website. Experiences are exactly the same, you pay about $100 less a head going through them. The place you take off from is literally 100 feet off the boat too, so no need for a bus from Disney or anything. It was absolutely amazing, one of the coolest things we've ever done. Well worth it.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #1373
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohil View Post
We did it in Skagway, and we went directly through Temsco they have a pretty informative website. Experiences are exactly the same, you pay about $100 less a head going through them. The place you take off from is literally 100 feet off the boat too, so no need for a bus from Disney or anything. It was absolutely amazing, one of the coolest things we've ever done. Well worth it.
Thanks for the info and the GREAT goPro video!! That is exactly what we were looking for on our trip August, 2015!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #1374
linetbo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
Ditto to the above! Except we took our 5-year old with us to see the bears and he loved it! He really enjoyed feeding the reindeer after we saw the bears. In addition to the above excursions, we did Best of Juneau too. All of our excursions were awesome! We didn't have second thoughts about any of them! Best vacation ever (and I say that from a hotel room in Hawaii!!)
Wich excursion was that with the bears, I want to see bears, we are going july 20,2015

linetbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #1375
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linetbo View Post
Wich excursion was that with the bears, I want to see bears, we are going july 20,2015
I would also like to know which excursion this is. We are going July 13, 2015 and wonder if this excursion is offered then and if so how many bears you saw.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #1376
linetbo
Mouseketeer

Yukon Expedition with Disney, its on the train all the time or just one way.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #1377
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linetbo View Post

It was Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition. We saw lots of bears and it was a great day! You're going to love Alaska!
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #1378
linetbo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It was Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition. We saw lots of bears and it was a great day! You're going to love Alaska!
Thanks, I want to do it. We are going in July 20.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #1379
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! Has anyone done this excursion in mid July and if so what was your review? Did you see a lot of bears? I ask because the dcl site says this excursion doesn't start until mid July which I'm guessing if at all would be my cruise which is 7/13/15. I think it is seasonal because the bears don't become active until the salmon running begins. I love the idea of seeing bears on this trip but I don't think I could stomach spending $200 each and not seeing any. Would love to hear from more people who did this in mid July to hear what your experience was like early in the season.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #1380
gretchenk
Earning My Ears

Has anyone gone on the horseback riding excursion?
gretchenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: