Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #1351
jtkboston
hooked on cruising

Alaska Salmon Bake, Glacier and Hatchery

The excursion was to Mendenhall Glacier, a salmon hatchery, and a salmon bake. We took the morning departure for this.

We started with a bus ride to the glacier. We saw lots of bald eagles in the river beds, on light posts, etc. Almost so many to make you stop noticing them as special?

We had 90 minutes at the glacier--just the right length of time for our girls. There are some easy walking trails near the water level of the lake, and a visitor center atop a hill. An elevator is available if needed, or you can walk up a serpentine ramp. We got some nice photos of our family near the glacier, and some excellent photos of blooming flowers along the Steep Creek trail.

The hatchery had plenty of returning fish: chum salmon were just starting their run. We could see fish swimming up the fish ladder from the harbor, and lots of fish crowding the harbor working toward the stream's outlet. In the hatchery, there were fish trying to jump out of their pen. We learned about the hatchery's operations.

The salmon bake for lunch was at Gold Creek Salmon Bake. The food was tasty, but the salmont was not so much to our girls' liking (some tiny bones in the salmon pieces, to which they are unaccustomed). However, there was marshmallow roasting, a big hit among the children. There is an easy forested walk to a waterfall and nice places for photographs there.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #1352
lindaso
We are just like the Incredibles...well, without the super powers!!

I will add ours...we had 3 amazing excursions. My kids are 16, 14 and 12 and they loved this cruise to Alaska. I wasn't sure if they would be bored but they weren't. They even loved the sightseeing. We got them binoculars for Christmas and they used them a lot.

Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion with Chilkoot Charters...this is the trip to Emerald Lake without the dog sledding. It was amazing. We sat in the caboose of the train and we got so many amazing pictures and videos from the outside back of the train. The train was full but most people were polite about coming and going from the outside of the train. There were about 20-25 people on our little bus and we had James as a tour guide. He told us a lot of great stories about the locals and about his life. We saw 3 different sets of bears and stayed on the side of the road for a long time just snapping picture after picture. Lunch was decent and just the right amount of time. The puppies were a little disappointing as they were napping and we weren't allowed to touch them. Oh well, it wasn't that big of a deal. Emerald Lake was stunning and I highly recommend taking the extra drive to see it.

Whale watching with Harv and Marv...I can't say enough about this excursion. It was better than I could have ever imagined. We were 13 people and had the boat to ourselves. We had a driver and a naturalist (college student who gave narratives and answered all of our questions). We saw so many whales, we learned what bubble netting was, we have so many awesome pictures and videos. I really can't say enough about this trip. Highly recommend!!!

Bear Creek Ziplining...only 3 of us did this one as the less adventurous did the Lumberjack show and had a good time. The zip lining was soooo much fun. They made sure we were all geared up correctly and made sure we knew how to stop and they have a little practice line so you can test it out. We had a blast! We had 2 guys helping us and there were 7 people in the group. The views were beautiful and the zip lines were challenging but not overwhelming. There was a slide at the end which was surprisingly scary but fun.

DCL Alaska was an amazing vacation. While it was expensive and a pain to get our family to Vancouver, it was completely worth it.

TRIPS TO PLAN
ALASKA on the Wonder July 2014

TRIPS TO REMEMBER
June 2013 -- Disney Dream;

June 2012 -- Disney Dream Double Dip; Feb. 2012 -- YC; Feb. 2011 -- Disney Dream Inaugural Voyages; Feb. 2010 -- YC; Jan. 2009 -- Disney Magic; April 2008 -- Poly ; Nov./Dec. 2007 -- YC ; Nov. 2006 -- Disney Magic, Our 1st cruise; Oct. 2005 -- AKL, no kids, 10th Anniversary ; Apr. 2005 -- Poly; Oct. 2003 -- Poly; Nov. 2001 -- CBR; May 2000 -- ASMu; May 1999 -- ASSp; Jan 1990 -- Offsite; Apr. 1984 -- Disneyland; Nov. 1978 -- Contemporary
lindaso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #1353
blossomz
Proud DVC owner since 2002!

We did the adult only whale watch, salmon bake and Mendenhall Glacier. Same as the hatchery trip, but the whale watch instead. We were on a small boat of about 16. IT WAS AMAZING!

We also did the Ocean Raft adventure. It was SO much fun!! Saw lots of wildlife and got to ride the raft which is powered by 2 engines.

We did the flight plane to Misty Fiords. That was also amazing. The beauty and landing right in the fiord where there was only a waterfall and silent beauty.

Loved all of our excursions! Wish we would have had more time to have done more!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #1354
jofo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaso View Post
The puppies were a little disappointing as they were napping and we weren't allowed to touch them.
Were you not allowed to touch them because they were napping or because they were too little? Or do they never let you touch the puppies there?
jofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #1355
islandsnoopy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the reply. We were on the 30 June sailing. There was a light rain that day in Juneau and while I had running trail shoes, a pair of waterproof hiking shoes would've been better. The rocks were a bit slippery in areas. The whole family had a great time!
islandsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #1356
lindaso
We are just like the Incredibles...well, without the super powers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofo View Post
Were you not allowed to touch them because they were napping or because they were too little? Or do they never let you touch the puppies there?
They weren't too little, I think it was just their nap time. We got there a little late bc we stayed on the side of the road watching a bear for a good 20 minutes. It was also really hot that day so I think the puppies were just on a break. It certainly didn't ruin the day, there were plenty of older dogs there to pet and play with.

TRIPS TO PLAN
ALASKA on the Wonder July 2014

TRIPS TO REMEMBER
June 2013 -- Disney Dream;

June 2012 -- Disney Dream Double Dip; Feb. 2012 -- YC; Feb. 2011 -- Disney Dream Inaugural Voyages; Feb. 2010 -- YC; Jan. 2009 -- Disney Magic; April 2008 -- Poly ; Nov./Dec. 2007 -- YC ; Nov. 2006 -- Disney Magic, Our 1st cruise; Oct. 2005 -- AKL, no kids, 10th Anniversary ; Apr. 2005 -- Poly; Oct. 2003 -- Poly; Nov. 2001 -- CBR; May 2000 -- ASMu; May 1999 -- ASSp; Jan 1990 -- Offsite; Apr. 1984 -- Disneyland; Nov. 1978 -- Contemporary
lindaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #1357
islandsnoopy
Mouseketeer

Ketchikan: Bering Sea Carb Tour & Dinner

Ketchikan: Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour and Dinner, 1:15 - 6:45pm

Short walk from the ship to the Aleutian Ballad (boat from 2nd season of Deadliest Catch). I had only watched Deadliest Catch once or twice so I was not familiar with the boat.

The crew talked about the ship and equipment used in deep sea fishing as they made stops to haul in lines and bait new lines. They hauled in the huge king crab pots which had snow crab, king crab and an octopus. They also hauled in crab and prawns. We got to hold the crabs, prawns with plenty of photo opportunities.

We learned much about deep sea fishing, but the highlight of the trip was seeing the bald eagles. They threw out halibut and the eagles swarmed the ship. Absolutely beautiful to see so many eagles at one time.

We stayed on the boat for the tour of the ship and afterwards we were served dinner which was delicious. It included: King crab and Dungeness crab, garlic bread, coleslaw, dessert, and beverages. I would definitely recommend this tour!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #1358
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsnoopy View Post
Ketchikan: Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour and Dinner, 1:15 - 6:45pm

Short walk from the ship to the Aleutian Ballad (boat from 2nd season of Deadliest Catch). I had only watched Deadliest Catch once or twice so I was not familiar with the boat.

The crew talked about the ship and equipment used in deep sea fishing as they made stops to haul in lines and bait new lines. They hauled in the huge king crab pots which had snow crab, king crab and an octopus. They also hauled in crab and prawns. We got to hold the crabs, prawns with plenty of photo opportunities.

We learned much about deep sea fishing, but the highlight of the trip was seeing the bald eagles. They threw out halibut and the eagles swarmed the ship. Absolutely beautiful to see so many eagles at one time.

We stayed on the boat for the tour of the ship and afterwards we were served dinner which was delicious. It included: King crab and Dungeness crab, garlic bread, coleslaw, dessert, and beverages. I would definitely recommend this tour!
Sounds good! What did you wear on the boat? Was it cold? Did you get wet?
Old 08-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #1359
islandsnoopy
Mouseketeer

We went on the tour the first week in July so it wasn't too cold. We all wore long-sleeve shirts with rain jackets. If you needed a rain jacket, they were available on the boat.

The seating areas are covered, so you won't get wet on this tour other than the rain. ;-) There was a light rain that day but nothing to hamper the tour.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #1360
islandsnoopy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
We went on the tour the first week in July so it wasn't too cold. We all wore long-sleeve shirts with rain jackets. If you needed a rain jacket, they were available on the boat.

The seating areas are covered, so you won't get wet on this tour other than the rain. ;-) There was a light rain that day but nothing to hamper the tour.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #1361
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
We did this the first week of July in 2013, and it was in the low 50's. But, once we got out into the open water, I was FREEZING. They do have heavy coats and heaters, so that helps, but if you are cold-natured, you may want to take some heavy layers.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #1362
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

We were on the July 28th Alaska trip. In Skagway we started by going on the White Pass Railway. It was beautiful! Don't forget your passport, you will cross the border. We did the one where you took a bus back down. Our driver was great. He stopped in a couple of places to show us the sights. We then stopped at Liarsville. I thought this was super-hokey, but my daughter loved panning for gold. After that we went on the Grizzly Falls Ziplining excursion. We booked this on our own because Disney will not let you book an 8 year old, but the company did. My daughter was soooo excited and loved every minute. Our guide, Jennie, was super. Everyone that I spoke to in Skagway who had done both said this was by far the best one. In Juneau we splurged and did the dog sledding excursion through Coastal Helicopters. We did the extended tour that landed on another glacier and let you explore around. I was wary because it was costly but SO WORTH EVERY PENNY! Our pilot was great and our guide was wonderful. We got to mush the dogs. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. Afterwards we took the bus to Mendenhall Glacier. After having been almost by ourselves on a glacier seeing one from a distance wasn't that interesting. We did see a bear, but in hindsight I wouldn't do it again. It was $10/person each way - $60 for the 3 of us. I wasn't in love with any of the excursions in Skagway and we ended up just taking the Duck tour. It too was pretty cheesy, but gave us a tour of the town and harbor. Ketchican was a great town to just walk around. We went to see some totem poles, saw some old brothels, saw the salmon ladder, and picked up some souvenirs.
Munkamamacallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #1363
Keyser
Mouseketeer

I wrote all this out once previously and lost it before posting, so I hope this time is better:

Vancouver: We did two things here. First, we went to Grouse Mountain. We got there mid-afternoon, and stayed until around 8. It was fun, and a nice way to spend the day. Saw the grizzly bears, the lumberjack show, and the bird show. All of these were good. We took the chair lift to the peak, which was also fun (though my wife was stressed out worried about our youngest daughter. Overall, we would give it a positive review. The other thing we did was Fly Over Canada. This was fun – it’s basically just Soarin’, but with Canadian scenery instead of California (there’s another short show before it, also). In fact, the pre-ride video was obviously made to copy the one at Disney – the whole thing was the same, but with Canadian stuff rather than Disney stuff. It was kind of expensive for what you get, but was fun. If you have ridden Soarin’, you will know exactly what you’re getting.

Skagway: We did the Chilkoot Charters’ Yukon Rail/Bus/Dogcart ride. We were lucky enough to be the only ones on this itinerary, and had the van/driver to ourselves! This day was probably the highlight of all our excursions. The bus tour part was great – we stopped many times, and got lots of great stories, as well as learned a lot about Alaska – both the gold rush times, and the current day. We eventually stopped at Caribou Crossing, which is a little “town” set up where you get lunch (BBQ chicken), can pet/feed goats and ponies, can visit the sled dog puppies, can tour a (really very good) taxidermy display, and get to go on the sled dog pull. The pull is over a dirt track on a wheeled sled, but was still lots of fun. Interestingly, I learned that the dogs are no longer Huskies, but have been crossbred with greyhounds! There’s a stop in Carcross, both at the desert (surprising!), and the small town. We then drove back to the train and took it the rest of the way – that ride was also incredible, and gives you a different view of things than you get on the bus tour part. We were the last ones on our train car, though, so all the seats on the right hand side were taken. We still had a good trip. Overall, I’d recommend this tour with no hesitation at all.

Juneau: We did the Alaska Galore tour: Whole Lotta Whale. Again, we were the only ones on our tour, and had a boat to ourselves. We did indeed see a whole lot of whales. It was pretty standard stuff – swimming, seeing their tails and such. We weren’t lucky enough to see some of the more rare behaviors (bubble netting, or breaching) and didn’t see any Orcas, but that’s not the captain’s fault. We saw sea lions, both in the water and at the buoy where they can always be found. I noticed that lots of other boats were also in the area, and the captains tend to cooperate in finding the whales. In fact, our boat seemed to be from Harv and Marv’s, so I get the impression that there is a lot more overlap between the different whale watching tours than it might seem. We enjoyed our trip, and I’d do it again, but wouldn’t worry about necessarily going with Alaska Galore (nothing against them, just that there didn’t seem to be a big differentiation. After the boat ride, we took the option (for $5 per person), to be dropped off at the Mendenhall glacier. We ended up spending a couple of hours there, which is more than a lot of tours give you. We went to the visitor center and saw the movie and displays, did the hike to the waterfall (I would recommend this!), and saw the salmon running in the bear viewing area (no bears, though). At the end, we found a taxi in the parking area that we took back to port ($37). Note: our ship was not at the “main” dock, and if we had been dropped off in the city (e.g. the shuttle bus), it would have been a real hike to get back to the ship. I was very glad to have the cab drop us off right at the Wonder. We briefly saw a bear from the cab as we were leaving. Note: there is no food here, and they don’t let you eat except in one small area of the visitor center near the bathrooms, so watch your timing. We had some energy bars that we brought and ate there, but if you arrive (like us) near lunchtime, you are going to be waiting a while to eat… Overall, this was a good combo trip and we were very happy with the day.

Ketchikan: We were there on what a local said was expected to be the rainiest day of the summer! There was a ton of rain, and our reservation with Island Wings to see Misty Fjords was cancelled. This was disappointing, since this was the thing that my family was most looking forward to on the whole trip, but I certainly understood why it was cancelled. We ended up bundling up (Disney provided some good ponchos for everyone for free) and walking out to the visitor’s center to see what there might be to do. We ended up getting sold a Northern Tours tour that I think they called their “Saxman Deluxe Combo Tour.” Yet again, we were the only ones on the tour. It was supposed to be 2 hours, but ran close to 3, which we appreciated (the extra time was mainly spent at the bear viewing area, and thanks to the wait, we eventually saw a brief view of the bears). Our driver was… interesting. Probably not the best choice for our family tour (his discussions of marijuana use in Alaska, how brothels operated and continue to operate in town, and the legal battles with his ex-wife over his daughter were interesting, but maybe not appropriate for our 6 and 12 year old daughters…). We stopped at the totem pole village (not quite sure what to think about this, but glad we saw it), drove through the city and saw the salmon ladder (the heavy rain meant the creek was so violent that we couldn’t actually see fish in most places). We drove by some bald eagle nests but so fast that we couldn’t even get a good look at them. There’s a place he said they normally see sea lions, but they weren’t out that day – it was OK since we saw several the day before. We eventually stopped at the bear viewing area and though it took a while, eventually we saw a couple of bears, briefly, in the distance. In looking at their tripadvisor review, it seems that our so-so experience is not uncommon. When going to Ketchikan, I’d recommend having some backup plan in place (rather than wandering to the tourist center like us) in case weather cancels your original plans.

General comment: We gave tips to the driver on each of our tours, but I honestly don’t know if we tipped too little or too much on each one. I would have loved to have known some guidelines for tipping, going in.
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #1364
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

We were on the August 4th sailing and had an amazing time.

In Skagway, we did the Musher's Camp and Sled Dog tour, booked through Disney. We loved it! It was my mom and I and my 2 kids, DS7 and DD10. The bus ride up unto the mountains was a little long, but our guide was very informative and talked almost the whole time, so we learned a lot. We did get to see a brown bear on the way up.

When we reached the camp, we were then transferred to Unimogs, some kind of army vehicle that took us farther up to where the sled dogs were waiting for us. My kids got to sit in the cab with the driver and they loved it. It was a bumpy ride, but a lot of fun. The weather was really nice that day so even though it was an open air vehicle, we didn't really get cold.

We were then assigned a musher and his team of 16 dogs. We were lucky to get Wade, who finished 16th in the 2014 Iditarod. We rode with the dogs for about a mile and it was so much fun! They are fast, especially around curves. Our team caught up to the team in front of us and kept trying to pass. It was so funny seeing the dogs antsy and anxious to move faster.

After the ride, we got to meet the dogs, which was a highlight for my kids. The dogs were friendly and affectionate, very we'll trained. Wade was great about answering our questions and you could tell he really loves his dogs. We then climbed back into the Unimogs and went back down to the camp, which is where we got to cuddle with the puppies. They were 24 days old, but were so cute and soft. We also heard a short presentation about sled dog training and we got to watch a group of 4 month old puppies playing around in their training area.

I've read reviews of this excursion where people complained about the noise, the smell and feeling rushed. Yes, it was loud around the dogs with all their barking, but they are DOGS! Dogs bark. And it did smell, but again, you're around wet dogs who do smell when they get wet! And we never felt rushed. We spent about 10 minutes with the teams, which was enough for us. My kids were starting to lose interest, so we were ready when it was time to go. DD probably held the little puppy for about 20 minutes, but most other kids gave the puppies back after just a few. The pacing of the experience was very relaxed.

This excursion is definitely one I would recommend to people who are comfortable around dogs. Those who are skittish around dogs may not enjoy it as much. Also, the ride in the Unimogs was very bumpy, so those with back issues might want to reconsider. It was an amazing experience and one I definitely recommend!

In Juneau we used Harv and Marv for whale watching. We had a private boat for just the 6 of us and it was perfect. We saw quite a few whales. Our captain was Harv's or Marv's (I can't remember which one) 21 year old daughter. She was fun and energetic and really knew her stuff. I was impressed. She even took us to a small island filled with sea lions that are only there for 2 weeks every year as they move from the inlet waters to the coastline. After the whale watching our guide took us for a quick stop at Mendenhall Glacier. Our driver was wonderful. He knows so much about Juneau and we could tell that he really loves where he lives. He was funny and informative and very nice.

In Kechikan my mom and DD were supposed to go kayaking, but it was canceled due to the weather. It rained nonstop while we were there. DH and DS went salmon fishing and had a great time. We now have 18 lbs of salmon in our freezer!

My dad is in the early stages of Parkinson's, so he and I did the Ketchikan Duckboat Tour, which I did not like at all. I thought it would be a nice excursion for him with no walking and where he could sit and relax. I didn't realize we would have to climb a small ladder into the vehicle, which was a problem for my dad. The driver, though, was very helpful getting my dad up the ladder. The seats were too close together and we had very little leg room. I'm only 5'5" and I was having a hard time feeling crammed in. The tour itself was cheesy and drawn out. I did not enjoy it at all. I liked getting to see Ketchikan and learning of its history, but that took up only about 30 minutes of the 2 hour tour. Maybe I would feel differently if I hadn't felt like we were crammed in like sardines. It was pretty awful overall and not worth the money.

Tipping was accepted for each excursion, but we had no idea how much to give. The general attitude I got from the tours was any amount is welcome, give what you can.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #1365
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

How much you tip on your private whale tour? Was it just the boat captain or did they have a naturalist onboard as well?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: