Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #1276
tink,too
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunryzez View Post
Has anyone done the Disney excursion in Ketchikan Totems, Exclusive Lumberjack Show and Potlatch Park Featuring Exclusive Youth Activity???
My DD really wanted to do this but my DH wanted to go fishing, so we split up last year and us girls went on this tour.

The children (various ages) on the tour seemed to enjoy talking to the totem carver and then went off to do their craft activity. The adults were given a bit of history and a tour, then we were told some native stories. We had a bit of time to shop as well.

Short bus ride to the Lumberjack show, which I personally enjoyed. I know some reviews say the show is corny, but it also shows the skills of these guys and is fun and was something we couldn't see at home, so to us it was worth it.

As the show is near the dock, we took our time when leaving so DD could get her photo taken with the guys and then shopped and little in their store.

I'm not sure it's the kind of tour I want to repeat on a future visit, but I am really glad we did it as we both had a great time.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #1277
twindaddy
DIS Veteran
 
twindaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wine Country
Posts: 1,037

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post
Just got home yesterday from another fabulous DCL cruise to Alaska!! For our excursions this year:



Skagway - the Yukon Expedition through Disney. We enjoyed this excursion, although not as much as our previous cruise 2 years ago. The tour guide was very new and not as talkative as our previous guide and the mosquitos were VERY, VERY bad at Carcross. (part of our issues with this excursion were fellow guests - not anything to be done about that, I'm afraid)

We are doing the same tour, but through Chilkoot tours. Might be kind of different actually, but sorta similar. What was the issue with fellow guests?
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #1278
sunryzez
Mouseketeer
 
sunryzez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
My DD really wanted to do this but my DH wanted to go fishing, so we split up last year and us girls went on this tour.

The children (various ages) on the tour seemed to enjoy talking to the totem carver and then went off to do their craft activity. The adults were given a bit of history and a tour, then we were told some native stories. We had a bit of time to shop as well.

Short bus ride to the Lumberjack show, which I personally enjoyed. I know some reviews say the show is corny, but it also shows the skills of these guys and is fun and was something we couldn't see at home, so to us it was worth it.

As the show is near the dock, we took our time when leaving so DD could get her photo taken with the guys and then shopped and little in their store.

I'm not sure it's the kind of tour I want to repeat on a future visit, but I am really glad we did it as we both had a great time.
Thanks for the quick reply. I think it is something we would enjoy. I have two last questions about this excursion
1) When you say the kids went off to do their activity, does that mean in a seperate area away from the parents. My lil guy is very shy and I dont know how keen he would be if he needs to be seperated from me in a place he is not familiar in.

2) Did it show alot of history? My husband is really into history of cultures. And, I heard Potlatch Park has an antique car muesum. Was there time to view that?

Thanks again =)
__________________


sunryzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #1279
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner
 
ImprovGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post

Skagway - the Yukon Expedition through Disney. We enjoyed this excursion, although not as much as our previous cruise 2 years ago. The tour guide was very new and not as talkative as our previous guide and the mosquitos were VERY, VERY bad at Carcross. (part of our issues with this excursion were fellow guests - not anything to be done about that, I'm afraid)
There must have been more than one departure group for this tour, as my guide talked the entire bus ride up and was very informative. I agree that the mosquitoes were horrendous at Carcross. I still can't figure out how I escaped without a single bite when I didn't have any repellant on me.
__________________
ImprovGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #1280
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran
 
ShelsGoingToDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
Booked Coastal Helicopters in Juneau independently for the dog sled tour on the Herbert Glacier.

On our way out of the ship to get to the excursion, a couple was coming back in, having just found out that their dog sled tour had been canceled, so it got us worried.

Not to fear, Coastal was there to greet us, and the conditions were favorable for our tour. There were only two other people on our particular launch, and they were a lovely couple. The entire experience was truly top notch! I'm not sure what Menenhall Glacier is like, but on Herbert, it felt like we owned the glacier because it was only the four of us and the dog camp there. We mushed the sled the entire time, whereas I've read that others on similar excursions only get a few minutes of mushing due to having to switch off constantly. If we have one complaint, it's that we didn't have more time to play with the puppies, but it was minor in the overall scheme of things.

They have my 100% recommendation!
Were you on the 5/24-6/2 cruise? We had the helicopter/Mendenhall dog sled excursion booked and were really, really sad that it was canceled. From the sounds of it all the DCL scheduled helicopter/dog sled excursions were canceled in Juneau that day. We did switch over to the 5-Glacier Floatplane Exploration excursion. It was cool to see the glaciers from the air and to be on a floatplane but I don't think I would recommend this excursion. It was pricey for what you got. It was a very structured flight. The pilot did not talk, you listened to a pre-recorded narration. You followed a very structured flight plan that did not veer off course at all so you didn't see anything up close or any wildlife or anything. The flight was only about 30-35 minutes long.

In Sitka we did our own excursion with Paul Davis from Gallant Adventures. You can find him on trip advisor. He took us out in his boat, just our family, and we saw tons of eagles, sea otters, starfish, humpback whales, sea lions, seals, puffins, and the best was the gray whales. There was a pair of gray whales that just hung around our boat for awhile. At one point we could nearly reach out and touch them! Unbelievable! He also took us around the volcanic islands and took the boat into a sea cave that was really cool!

In Skagway we did the Klondike Gold Dredge and White Pass Railway The train ride was cool. The gold panning was fun, but a little cheesy and really quick (only about 5-10 minutes of panning). Wish we would have paired the White Pass with some type of dog sledding excursion instead since our helicopter/dog sled was canceled in Juneau. We are really disappointed to be home from Alaska without even seeing a Husky!

In Ketchikan we did the Disney Exclusive: Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour and Dinner with the Crew. We all really enjoyed this excursion and I would recommend it. There is a part where they throw out fish and eagles come in that is just amazing. We had at least 40-50 eagles swooping around the boat. It was really a once in a lifetime experience. The dinner was fine and the stories were interesting. Before the dinner and after the rest of the tour group leaves they take you on a long tour of the boat (from the Deadliest Catch show) and you can sit in the captain's chair etc.
__________________
Shel
Sean Joey Alayne Sam




Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #1281
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner
 
ImprovGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelsGoingToDisney View Post
In Ketchikan we did the Disney Exclusive: Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour and Dinner with the Crew. We all really enjoyed this excursion and I would recommend it. There is a part where they throw out fish and eagles come in that is just amazing. We had at least 40-50 eagles swooping around the boat. It was really a once in a lifetime experience. The dinner was fine and the stories were interesting. Before the dinner and after the rest of the tour group leaves they take you on a long tour of the boat (from the Deadliest Catch show) and you can sit in the captain's chair etc.
I was on that excursion with you and also really enjoyed it. The time with the eagles was amazing, albeit a bit Hitchcockian. The dinner itself was good, although I would have preferred to have been seated around a table rather than have the tray tables brought to the auditorium-style seating.
__________________
ImprovGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #1282
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!
 
disneyfaninaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 11,499

We too were on the 5/24 sailing.

In Sitka we booked a tour with Sitka Sound Tours with Jim Seeland. He was awesome. We shared our 6 pack with another 3 person family from the ship and saw lots of eagles, otters, humpbacks, seals, sea lions and the grey whales. We were having so much fun watching the grey whales that we didn't go out to the island to see the puffins. Highly recommend Jim.

In Skagway we booked the White Pass Train and Highway Combo Tour through Frontier Excursions and Adventures. This was the most amazing tour. Our group had a personal train car on the way up. My friend and I had the entire train balcony all to ourselves. Once we got to the Yukon, we had a private tour bus and the sun came out for a beautiful day. We saw both Dahl sheep and Mountain goats. The lakes were the most incredible color of blue. Except for Emerald Lake, which was a magnificent green. Our guide was the absolutely the best ever!

In Juneau, we booked a private whale watching tour for 11 people with Weather Permitting. This was an amazing experience. Captain Harry and Captain John were awesome. We were so lucky to have found a pod of orcas to follow. We could have watched them all day. My DH even saw a huge male jump, but of course, I was looking elsewhere.

In Ketchikan, DH took the Sea Bearing Fisherman's excursion and thought it was amazing. DD and I did the Bear Creek Ziplining and had a wonderful time flying amongst the trees. It was an absolutely beautiful sunny day.

Last edited by disneyfaninaz; 06-04-2014 at 12:25 PM.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #1283
nunami
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7

We are on the August 11 cruise and I have a question about bathrooms on the tours.

Skagway - Klondike Gold Dredge and White Pass Railway.
Are there bathrooms in the Gold Dredge area and the Coach Bus returning to the ship? (I know there are bathrooms on the train)
Juneau - Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter.
Are there bathrooms up on the Glacier?
Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour
Are there bathrooms on the boat?
Thanks! My mom has to use the bathroom quite often so I want to make sure she will have access to one for these port adventures.
nunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #1284
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!
 
RweTHEREyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: OKW, BCV, SSR, BLT, THV, VGC, VGF
Posts: 6,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunami View Post
We are on the August 11 cruise and I have a question about bathrooms on the tours.

Skagway - Klondike Gold Dredge and White Pass Railway.
Are there bathrooms in the Gold Dredge area and the Coach Bus returning to the ship? (I know there are bathrooms on the train)
Juneau - Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter.
Are there bathrooms up on the Glacier?
Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour
Are there bathrooms on the boat?
Thanks! My mom has to use the bathroom quite often so I want to make sure she will have access to one for these port adventures.
I am sure there are bathrooms on the Mendenhall glacier dog-sledding as there are people that live up there with the dogs thru the summer, but we never requested to use one and I can only imagine how cold it would be. Our excursion was not cancelled, but we booked directly with ERA, not thru DCL. We not only got to ride in the dog sled, but we got to take turns standing/driving the second sled that was attached. This was the most amazing excursion, and I highly recommend ERA.
__________________
RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #1285
mrp4352
DIS Veteran
 
mrp4352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 2,251

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
We are doing the same tour, but through Chilkoot tours. Might be kind of different actually, but sorta similar. What was the issue with fellow guests?
We had some rather outspoken, pushy people on our bus that made sure everyone knew when things weren't to their liking. Additionally, we didn't get to sit together on the train portion of the tour (although we were within a couple of rows of each other in the same car), but this was because a couple of families chose to spread out - and then spend most of the ride on the platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
There must have been more than one departure group for this tour, as my guide talked the entire bus ride up and was very informative. I agree that the mosquitoes were horrendous at Carcross. I still can't figure out how I escaped without a single bite when I didn't have any repellant on me.
There were two busses for this excursion.

We really did enjoy the excursion, but we had such a good time on this excursion previously, we may have held the measuring stick too high. We had a good time, there were just several small annoyances that all kind of added up, you know? Again - they were all external to the excursion itself!
__________________
Smiles! Michelle




Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #1286
nunami
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
I am sure there are bathrooms on the Mendenhall glacier dog-sledding as there are people that live up there with the dogs thru the summer, but we never requested to use one and I can only imagine how cold it would be. Our excursion was not cancelled, but we booked directly with ERA, not thru DCL. We not only got to ride in the dog sled, but we got to take turns standing/driving the second sled that was attached. This was the most amazing excursion, and I highly recommend ERA.
What was the weather like - my parents are in Texas so I am worried about it being too cold for them and want to make sure they pack properly. Thanks!!!!
nunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #1287
bellanapoli
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelsGoingToDisney View Post
We had the helicopter/Mendenhall dog sled excursion booked and were really, really sad that it was canceled. From the sounds of it all the DCL scheduled helicopter/dog sled excursions were canceled in Juneau that day.
What kind of notice did you get from DCL about the cancellation? We have this excursion booked through DCL for our August cruise and that's my concern.

We have the latest possible one booked in hopes that helps with the weather. I'm just curious how much notice they give as I imagine it will be a scramble to try to make alternative plans.

Thanks!
bellanapoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #1288
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!
 
RweTHEREyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: OKW, BCV, SSR, BLT, THV, VGC, VGF
Posts: 6,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunami View Post
What was the weather like - my parents are in Texas so I am worried about it being too cold for them and want to make sure they pack properly. Thanks!!!!
It was cold (as you would expect it to be standing on a glacier). I wore two layers of Cuddle Duds tops, a lightweight sweatshirt, a fleece lined hoodie and an all-weather jacket on top of that. I also had on some Smartwool socks, a pair of Cuddle Duds base layer pants, jeans and waterproof shoes. (They give you overboots for your shoes, which worked great). I also had on a wool headband and 180's earmuffs and gloves with hand warmers inside. I never got too warm and never got too terribly cold. My legs got a little chilly when I was riding in the dog sled - a blanket would have been nice.

I am from North Carolina, so I am not used to the severe cold either.

Back to add, it was not windy on the glacier, but it was very breezy where we boarded the helicopter at their base/hanger.
__________________
RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #1289
tink,too
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunryzez View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I think it is something we would enjoy. I have two last questions about this excursion
1) When you say the kids went off to do their activity, does that mean in a seperate area away from the parents. My lil guy is very shy and I dont know how keen he would be if he needs to be seperated from me in a place he is not familiar in.
Yes, the kids go to a special building with the counsellors and the wood carver. I didn't see anyone on our tour refuse to go or get antsy when they left their parents. We got to watch them enter and even peep in the window for a second, before setting off to tour with the guides. It's not a huge place, so you are never that far away from the children but are out of sight for a while (maybe 20 minutes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunryzez View Post
2) Did it show alot of history? My husband is really into history of cultures. And, I heard Potlatch Park has an antique car muesum. Was there time to view that?
There was some history and native stories which I found interesting. Although I'm sure there were some cars, I didn't pay much attention to them. We did spend a while in the shop and took some time to look around the antique gun museum and visit the restroom!
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #1290
TheChanClan
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 71

Love this thread, thanks for all the good information!

For those of you who have done the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchickan, would it be suitable for our 14month old? TIA!
__________________
making our way around the world with Disney
DLR - too many times to count
WDW - Aug03, Feb12
HKDL - Mar14
DCL - Dream to Caribbean Feb12, Wonder to Alaska Sep14
TheChanClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: