Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #1171
tbower54
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98slowbra View Post
I know we did the Bering Sea crab fishermens tour in Ketchikan and Pilots Choice in Juneau and love them both, best sites we have every seen. Here are some pics from both. Best I have been on as of yet, I would give these 2 excursions A+++ just for the pics I got.
Bering Sea pics
These pics are amazing! What kind of camera did you use for these?
tbower54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #1172
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseulalie View Post
Tell me what you think about these excursions. We are down to these at each port:
Juneau-Mendenhall Float trip and Mendenhall Glacier an Whale Quest.

Ketchikan-This gets confusing... Hubby and older daughter will do Bear Creek Zipline and younger daughter and I will do Annette Island Cultural Celebration. Then we will all do the lumberjack show.

Skagway- Glacier Lake Kayak and White Pass Rail.
Check out TripAdvisor- I was initially considering the Mendenhall Float Trip, and if I recall correctly, the reviews weren't that good. But this was a year ago, so things may have changed.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #1173
momtomattclare
Mouseketeer

Wonderful thread!! Thanks for all the great info!!

momtomattclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #1174
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

I did a search and couldn't find anything but has anyone done the Alaskan Fish Camp and Wilderness Dinner in Ketchican? thanks

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #1175
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

We did one called wilderness explorer and crab feast, is that the same one? This was solid, not amazing but not bad. The crabs they pulled up were in a small pot, not deadliest catch like we expected. But we all got to hold a crab which was cool. The scenery was gorgeous and the crab dinner was yummy!

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #1176
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

No this is one that you go out fishing for a few hours then go to a camp for the meal.

Sent from Stephie's iPhone using DISBoards

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #1177
dismiss
Mouseketeer

Bumping!!!
dismiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #1178
DisneySisters
Earning My Ears

We did the sled dog camp. I was just talking about it this morning, saying it was the highlight of our trip, especially the puppies!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #1179
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

On two trips we've done:

Juneau - Orca Enterprises twice (http://www.orcaenterprises.com/), Pilot's Choice - 2 Glacier Landings (http://www.temscoair.com/juneau_tours.php), Mt. Roberts Tramway(on our own)

Skagway - Dog Sledding (http://www.temscoair.com/skagway.php), rented a car from Avis and drove to Emerald Lake using Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway (http://www.murraysguide.com/)

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords Flightseeing and Anan Creek Bear Viewing (both with http://www.islandwings.com/)

Sitka - all on our own - Alaska Rator Center (http://www.alaskaraptor.org/SITE/index.html), Totem Poles National Park (http://www.alaskaraptor.org/SITE/index.html), St. Michael Russian Church (http://oca.org/parishes/oca-ak-sitsmk), and amazing crab lunch (just can't remember where!)

LOVED everything we did!
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #1180
EllinK
Mouseketeer

excursions in Alaska

This was an amazing trip! With my husband and 7 year old.

Skagway - booked the helicopter/glacier/dog sled excursion on our own. I wanted to do it early in the trip since this is the most often cancelled excursion (due to weather) but the one that would be most meaningful to us all. The place we had to go was literally next to the ship. Walked over -- took 2 minutes. Got all the gear and within minutes was in a helicopter. Aside from my wedding, this was the best experience of my life! We had an amazing time. Not the least of which was that except for the people training the dogs, it's just you and the 3 other people who were on your helicopter. You are virtually alone on a glacier in the middle of nowhere. Awesome! The dogs were amazing. Each group goes on a sled -- just your family. My son led the team the entire time. In addition to it being a singularly amazing experience, we have fab pictures of us with the puppies!

Juneau - we didn't plan anything (in case we needed to reschedule the helicopter/dog sled) and took the tram. Great views. But when I have spent days with thousands of people, when we dock I want to get off and be far from crowds.

Ketchikan - thru Disney, we did a canoeing trip. My only complaint about DCL excursions are that there are more people than I'd like, but this was a fabulous excursion. We were in the middle of nowhere, in a state or national park, canoeing through the pristine water. Really, really beautiful. Another favorite experience.

Have fun!
EllinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #1181
mirladisney
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for your help

Thanks so much for all your ideas.. I will be going in 2015 and wanted to know more about port adventures....
Please please keep posting !!!
thanks
mirladisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #1182
mirladisney
Earning My Ears

Helicopter and dog sled

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllinK View Post
This was an amazing trip! With my husband and 7 year old.

Skagway - booked the helicopter/glacier/dog sled excursion on our own. I wanted to do it early in the trip since this is the most often cancelled excursion (due to weather) but the one that would be most meaningful to us all. The place we had to go was literally next to the ship. Walked over -- took 2 minutes. Got all the gear and within minutes was in a helicopter. Aside from my wedding, this was the best experience of my life! We had an amazing time. Not the least of which was that except for the people training the dogs, it's just you and the 3 other people who were on your helicopter. You are virtually alone on a glacier in the middle of nowhere. Awesome! The dogs were amazing. Each group goes on a sled -- just your family. My son led the team the entire time. In addition to it being a singularly amazing experience, we have fab pictures of us with the puppies!

Juneau - we didn't plan anything (in case we needed to reschedule the helicopter/dog sled) and took the tram. Great views. But when I have spent days with thousands of people, when we dock I want to get off and be far from crowds.

Ketchikan - thru Disney, we did a canoeing trip. My only complaint about DCL excursions are that there are more people than I'd like, but this was a fabulous excursion. We were in the middle of nowhere, in a state or national park, canoeing through the pristine water. Really, really beautiful. Another favorite experience.

Have fun!
Hi,
Can i ask you if you remember the company name for the helicopter and dog sled?
Do I have to make a reservation or is walking?
Also how long time do you have to go around Skagway?
Do you know if DCL offers this type of adventures?
Thanks so much for your help
mirladisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 PM   #1183
EllinK
Mouseketeer

Alaska Excursions

yes, Disney definitely did offer it and I think it was the same price. Name of company was Temsco. I was concerned that it would fill up before we got a chance to book so I looked to do it independently. Now, I book independently because I realize the experience is different because there are so many more people when you do an excursion thru Disney.
EllinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #1184
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

I've read every page, and and am now subscribing- we're planning to catch the last AK cruise this year!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #1185
calypso726
DIS Veteran

Subbing and looking forward to reviews. We are going 8/4/14.

calypso726 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: