Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #1141
chickamu
Earning My Ears

In July of this year we did the Chilkoot charter tour with dog kart. My daughter we was 8 loved the dog kart ride but is wasn't very long. We were also signed up for the helicopter dog sled ride in Juneau. We got all the way dressed and in the helicopter. When we got close to the glacier the weather turned bad so we had to turn back. The company was really nice and they said it happened often. They gave us a full refund and we got a helicopter ride..
chickamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #1142
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

A few questions:

Can someone who is better at the search feature than me find the list of Alaska excursion times from last summer? I know I saw it somewhere, sometime...

Is the "Exclusive Disney" lumberjack show really anything exclusive or Disney, or is it pretty much the same as all the lumberjack shows?

Has anyone done the duck excursion in Ketchikan, that bus thing that drives on streets and in the water?

Thanks!!!
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #1143
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
A few questions:

Can someone who is better at the search feature than me find the list of Alaska excursion times from last summer? I know I saw it somewhere, sometime...

Is the "Exclusive Disney" lumberjack show really anything exclusive or Disney, or is it pretty much the same as all the lumberjack shows?

Has anyone done the duck excursion in Ketchikan, that bus thing that drives on streets and in the water?

Thanks!!!
Lumberjack shows are exclusive to DCL but very corny.

Duck tour was very good we booked direct in advance to get the time we want they are corny but very funny, what works well on the duck tour doesn't on the lumberjack show.

We did private tours in all ports selecting our own times, to try to avoid morning fog book flights planes and helicopters mid to late morning, see more in my trip report.

Before you accept any response or answer 'verify' information, -when did someone "actually do it"

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #1144
donaldjessie
Earning My Ears

I have some questions
If I go to Alaska on Jun 9,can I see the bear and whale?
If I want to take plane to watch the glaciers, Skagway or Juneau, which is better?
Thank you
Old 11-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #1145
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldjessie View Post
I have some questions
If I go to Alaska on Jun 9,can I see the bear and whale?
If I want to take plane to watch the glaciers, Skagway or Juneau, which is better?
Thank you
We took a plane to see Glaciers in Skagway and a helicopter in Juneau, both were wonderful, both were different, both very interesting we landed on one in Juneau so both are a good choice. We went Lester this you we saw whales and salmon not much bears unless in captivity.

Example Skagway

Holiday 2013 1668 by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr

Example Juneau.

Holiday 2013 1940 by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr

Tip:- book late morning as we had morning fog and it had to burn off flights were cancelled.

Before you accept any response or answer 'verify' information, -when did someone "actually do it"

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.

Last edited by DISNEY FANTASY; 11-07-2013 at 01:14 PM.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #1146
luvmy2kids
Mouseketeer

Dizneekrazee... We will be on the same sailing. June 2, 2014
Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #1147
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
A few questions: Can someone who is better at the search feature than me find the list of Alaska excursion times from last summer? I know I saw it somewhere, sometime... Is the "Exclusive Disney" lumberjack show really anything exclusive or Disney, or is it pretty much the same as all the lumberjack shows? Has anyone done the duck excursion in Ketchikan, that bus thing that drives on streets and in the water? Thanks!!!
Not sure if you are spending anytime in Vancouver, we did the lumberjack show there. It was included in the admission to Grouse mountain. So we skipped the Disney one. When we compared ours to people we met on the ship that went to the Disney one, there wasn't a lot of difference.
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #1148
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriemg View Post
Misseulalie,

Take it from someone who had 2 excursions cancelled due to weather, there are always other options. We had a morning helicopter tour cancelled in Juneau due to the weather. We went to Disney but they didn't have any free slots in the afternoon excursions so we just went into town and booked through another company. There are booths in Juneau where the shuttle bus drops you off.

We also had a float plane tour cancelled in Ketchikan due to rain, rain, and more rain. We went to the Ketchikan visitors building which is a short walk from where you get off the ship and there were all kinds of booths in there booking tours.

Our helicopter tour in Juneau was the absolute highlight of our trip and the best part is, they were much cheaper than Disney for the same excursion. So don't give up if the weather is bad. Just go book an excursion on your own. Enjoy your cruise!
This is good information for whether one is 'cancelled' or just hasn't booked anything. Thanks for that!

ºoº Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! ºoº

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #1149
SG101
Mouseketeer

So this is what we're planning:

Skagway - Hubby will do helicopter ride. Question - what's the difference between TEMSCO and M&M Tours? Was there a major price difference? Do people like one over the other? I think M&M is $299/pp.

Also, what is there to do in Skagway with a 10 & 7 year old while daddy is on his excursion? I didn't want to book anything because I want to be able to afford the seaplane in Juneau for all 4 of us.

Thanks so much for all of the reviews and helpful tips. Planning the excursions on this trip has been made a whole lot easier.
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #1150
misseulalie
DIS Veteran

Going through the excursions... if you did "Alaska Coastal Expedition" in Ketchikan, why is it considered "active"? It seems all one does is drive a boat. It even says people in poor physical condition should not participate.

It looks pretty fun, but wondering what exactly it entails.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #1151
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG101 View Post
So this is what we're planning:

Skagway - Hubby will do helicopter ride. Question - what's the difference between TEMSCO and M&M Tours? Was there a major price difference? Do people like one over the other? I think M&M is $299/pp.

Also, what is there to do in Skagway with a 10 & 7 year old while daddy is on his excursion? I didn't want to book anything because I want to be able to afford the seaplane in Juneau for all 4 of us.

Thanks so much for all of the reviews and helpful tips. Planning the excursions on this trip has been made a whole lot easier.
TEMSCO is the company that operates the helicopters. You will be with TEMSCO whether you book directly with them, through M&M, or through Disney. I would just go with the best price. We used M&M for the $299 rate last summer. They met us at the bottom of the gangway and walked us to the TEMSCO office. This was kind of funny since the ship was parked right next to the office, so we really didn't need help finding it.

Skagway is VERY small. You can walk around in the town with your kids for a little while and shop for souvenirs--it is very quaint. If you don't plan to book an excursion with them in Skagway, you can enjoy the ship--it will be empty! The pools are heated, so as crazy as it sounds, my kids swam and enjoyed it. I have pictures of them in their bathing suits with a glacier in the background. I wouldn't have done it, but they loved it!

Hope you have a great trip!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #1152
piglet33
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done the Dog Sled Summer Camp or Sled Dog Discovery & Musher's Camp in Juneau? There isn't much of a price difference but I was wondering which one is better to do? Any opinions?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #1153
cbmeadors
Mouseketeer

We did a number of excursion but I think our favorite thing was a hike in the woods we did on our own while in Skagway. We stopped by the rangers office to get a map and then head to the woods before heading back and going to the Skagway brewery for some Spruce Tip Ale and the best Scotch Ale I have ever tasted.
cbmeadors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #1154
luvmy2kids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post
TEMSCO is the company that operates the helicopters. You will be with TEMSCO whether you book directly with them, through M&M, or through Disney. I would just go with the best price. We used M&M for the $299 rate last summer. They met us at the bottom of the gangway and walked us to the TEMSCO office. This was kind of funny since the ship was parked right next to the office, so we really didn't need help finding it.

Skagway is VERY small. You can walk around in the town with your kids for a little while and shop for souvenirs--it is very quaint. If you don't plan to book an excursion with them in Skagway, you can enjoy the ship--it will be empty! The pools are heated, so as crazy as it sounds, my kids swam and enjoyed it. I have pictures of them in their bathing suits with a glacier in the background. I wouldn't have done it, but they loved it!

Hope you have a great trip!

MickeyMomTo2...Do you mind if I ask you a question? We are considering using M&M tours and I spoke with them yesterday on the phone. Would you have any reservations about giving them your credit card information for tours that are several months away? He said they charge once you are there just wondered if you would trust them as a reputable company. Thank you for your help regarding this. One can't be too trusting these days
Old 01-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #1155
Bethann1959
Earning My Ears

Harv and Marv's

This was an EXCELLENTwhale watching adventure in Juneau!!! They are 2 friends, not their real names. We (family of 5) we're the only ones on board. I think 6 or 8 are max. I cannot say enough good things. They have option of someone to take photographs for you so you can enjoy without being behind a lens!

WDW-too many times to count-Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter, Coronado Springs, All Star Movies, Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney Wonder Western Caribbean Cruise Jan 2013
Bethann1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: