Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #1111
bridgetmck
Mouseketeer
 
bridgetmck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 114

Would you all say that in Juneau there is enough to do with the Glacier, Nugget Falls and the Mt. Robert Tramway for a good part of the day? Is an excursion necessary? Keep in mind, we will have a 6.5YO and a 4YO in tow. I know that both boys will want to explore the glacier and falls.
thanks!
__________________

2014: February aboard the Dream
2013: October at the Beach Club Resort
2011: May at the Polynesian
bridgetmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #1112
Jrsy Boy
DIS Veteran
You can tell I'm married, because a lady tells me to do something and I just do it unquestioningly
 
Jrsy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Englewood, CO
Posts: 3,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetmck View Post
Would you all say that in Juneau there is enough to do with the Glacier, Nugget Falls and the Mt. Robert Tramway for a good part of the day? Is an excursion necessary? Keep in mind, we will have a 6.5YO and a 4YO in tow. I know that both boys will want to explore the glacier and falls.
thanks!
My 2 cents: there are a lot of trails at Mendenhall Glacier as well as a visitors' center, so you could spend a lot of time there. The "hike" to Nugget Falls is more of a leisurely stroll, so should be just fine for your kids. Mt. Roberts Tramway was running when we were there but the top of Mt Roberts was engulfed in clouds, so we didn't bother heading up. We just figured there wouldn't be much of a view. That all being said, we went to Mendenhall, then walked around downtown and, by the time we did all that, we were ready to head back to the ship and relax for a bit.
__________________
POFQ/DCL June 2005 POFQ/DCL February 2007DCL Alaska July 2013POFQ/Cabana Bay June 2014
DLR December 2008 DLR October 2009 DLR November 2010 DLR October 2013
"...the Internet was specifically invented so that living beings everywhere could be anonymously rude to one another." - Rat from 'Pearls Before Swine'
Jrsy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #1113
misseulalie
DIS Veteran
 
misseulalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 30 minutes from WDW, 30 minutes from DCL!
Posts: 2,425

If we book a DCL dog sled excursion and it gets cancelled (as I hear it is the most cancelled activity) What are our options? I do not want to "waste" a day on the ship. Are there typically spots on other excursions? Does DCL help you book other activities? I would be ok with a whale watching activity.
__________________
Magic 5/12/07-6/6/07 Taking the Magic to the Med and staying for 11 days!!!!
misseulalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #1114
doriemg
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 142

Misseulalie,

Take it from someone who had 2 excursions cancelled due to weather, there are always other options. We had a morning helicopter tour cancelled in Juneau due to the weather. We went to Disney but they didn't have any free slots in the afternoon excursions so we just went into town and booked through another company. There are booths in Juneau where the shuttle bus drops you off.

We also had a float plane tour cancelled in Ketchikan due to rain, rain, and more rain. We went to the Ketchikan visitors building which is a short walk from where you get off the ship and there were all kinds of booths in there booking tours.

Our helicopter tour in Juneau was the absolute highlight of our trip and the best part is, they were much cheaper than Disney for the same excursion. So don't give up if the weather is bad. Just go book an excursion on your own. Enjoy your cruise!
doriemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #1115
misseulalie
DIS Veteran
 
misseulalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 30 minutes from WDW, 30 minutes from DCL!
Posts: 2,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriemg View Post
Misseulalie,

Take it from someone who had 2 excursions cancelled due to weather, there are always other options. We had a morning helicopter tour cancelled in Juneau due to the weather. We went to Disney but they didn't have any free slots in the afternoon excursions so we just went into town and booked through another company. There are booths in Juneau where the shuttle bus drops you off.

We also had a float plane tour cancelled in Ketchikan due to rain, rain, and more rain. We went to the Ketchikan visitors building which is a short walk from where you get off the ship and there were all kinds of booths in there booking tours.

Our helicopter tour in Juneau was the absolute highlight of our trip and the best part is, they were much cheaper than Disney for the same excursion. So don't give up if the weather is bad. Just go book an excursion on your own. Enjoy your cruise!
Thanks, It would worry me that we would go from excursion of a life-time to a sad walk around the city if it was cancelled.

Last question- how many helicopters are there per excursion? My husband is a bit worried about leaving the baby on board and the both of us on a helicopter. He would feel better if we split our group and go on separate helicopters.
__________________
Magic 5/12/07-6/6/07 Taking the Magic to the Med and staying for 11 days!!!!
misseulalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #1116
misseulalie
DIS Veteran
 
misseulalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 30 minutes from WDW, 30 minutes from DCL!
Posts: 2,425

Another question: When will we find out the timings of the excursions? I am thinking of doing the Bear Line Zip line and lumberjack show on the same day in Ketchikan.

If two of us are zip lining, what can the other people in our party do doing that time?
__________________
Magic 5/12/07-6/6/07 Taking the Magic to the Med and staying for 11 days!!!!
misseulalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #1117
Ellester
DIS Veteran
 
Ellester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 1,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetmck View Post
Would you all say that in Juneau there is enough to do with the Glacier, Nugget Falls and the Mt. Robert Tramway for a good part of the day? Is an excursion necessary? Keep in mind, we will have a 6.5YO and a 4YO in tow. I know that both boys will want to explore the glacier and falls. thanks!
With young kids, all that could easily fill up your day. We only spent about an hour at Mendenhall due to having to catch a scheduled bus back but we easily could have spent much longer. There were things to do and see in the visitors' center that we just kind of breezed by and we didn't have time to hike all the way to the falls. It was an easy walk, but we just didn't have the time. I think you would be fine without an excursion. The tramway is right there in the middle of town where the shuttle dropped us off. If it is really foggy, you could just skip it until later in the day or altogether.
Ellester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #1118
TwingleMomFl
Mouseketeer
 
TwingleMomFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseulalie View Post
If we book a DCL dog sled excursion and it gets cancelled (as I hear it is the most cancelled activity) What are our options? I do not want to "waste" a day on the ship. Are there typically spots on other excursions? Does DCL help you book other activities? I would be ok with a whale watching activity.
I am still so bummed that our dog sledding your was cancelled. Especially since we had prearranged for a private tour with another family.

When I looked outside the window that morning go in Juneau , and saw the fog/clouds down to the water I knew it wasn't good. They tried to postpone it to later but all the people on town said, if you can not see the top of the tram, chances are the helicopters will not be taking off.
We booked a whale/watching tour with mendenhal glacier in town. We could have used more time there but were really trying to get on the helicopter if possible. Because of that we didn't leave Juneau for the whale watching until almost noon. . If was very nice , but of course we were all crushed about not going in the helicopter. I have a great picture of my daughter pouting on the bus to the boat. And to add to our pain the whale watching boat went by the mountain and we could see part of the glacier we were supposed to go on.

I'm still so sad we missed out on it, but I guess we will have to go back again one day and try again.
__________________
TwingleMomFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #1119
doriemg
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseulalie View Post
Thanks, It would worry me that we would go from excursion of a life-time to a sad walk around the city if it was cancelled.

Last question- how many helicopters are there per excursion? My husband is a bit worried about leaving the baby on board and the both of us on a helicopter. He would feel better if we split our group and go on separate helicopters.
We went with ERA and they had a lot of helicopters at base but I think they were all going to different locations. We landed on the Taku glacier but we were the only helicopter there. Not sure if you and your husband would be able to split up between 2 helicopters and still land in the same location. Have you considered taking the baby with you? If your baby is under 2 years I think they're free. The only thing I can tell you is I felt very safe in our helicopter and was never worried that something might happen.
doriemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #1120
bridgetmck
Mouseketeer
 
bridgetmck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellester View Post
With young kids, all that could easily fill up your day. We only spent about an hour at Mendenhall due to having to catch a scheduled bus back but we easily could have spent much longer. There were things to do and see in the visitors' center that we just kind of breezed by and we didn't have time to hike all the way to the falls. It was an easy walk, but we just didn't have the time. I think you would be fine without an excursion. The tramway is right there in the middle of town where the shuttle dropped us off. If it is really foggy, you could just skip it until later in the day or altogether.
Thank you for the advice! :D
__________________

2014: February aboard the Dream
2013: October at the Beach Club Resort
2011: May at the Polynesian
bridgetmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #1121
misseulalie
DIS Veteran
 
misseulalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 30 minutes from WDW, 30 minutes from DCL!
Posts: 2,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriemg View Post
We went with ERA and they had a lot of helicopters at base but I think they were all going to different locations. We landed on the Taku glacier but we were the only helicopter there. Not sure if you and your husband would be able to split up between 2 helicopters and still land in the same location. Have you considered taking the baby with you? If your baby is under 2 years I think they're free. The only thing I can tell you is I felt very safe in our helicopter and was never worried that something might happen.
Take my 2 year old devil-child on a 5 hour, $700 a person dog sled excursion??:rot fl:
__________________
Magic 5/12/07-6/6/07 Taking the Magic to the Med and staying for 11 days!!!!
misseulalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #1122
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!
 
disneyfaninaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 11,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseulalie View Post
Another question: When will we find out the timings of the excursions? I am thinking of doing the Bear Line Zip line and lumberjack show on the same day in Ketchikan.

If two of us are zip lining, what can the other people in our party do doing that time?
If you book DCL excursions, you will see the times available when you are able to book online for your cruise.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #1123
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney
 
Mackie Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetmck View Post
Would you all say that in Juneau there is enough to do with the Glacier, Nugget Falls and the Mt. Robert Tramway for a good part of the day? Is an excursion necessary? Keep in mind, we will have a 6.5YO and a 4YO in tow. I know that both boys will want to explore the glacier and falls.
thanks!
Here was our (pretty sweet) day in Juneau. We had nothing booked when we walked off the boat. Adjust as necessary, since we don't have kids:
-Take the Blue Bus shuttle ($8 each way) to Mendenhall around 8:30 AM.
-Spent a few hours wandering around the Mendenhall glacier's trails and the visitor center
-Got back to Juneau a little before noon, in time to beat the lunch rush at Tracy's King Crab Shack (you MUST eat there!)
-Strolled around downtown Juneau a bit, browsed in a few shops, and poked around the Alaska State Museum for an hour, which had some cool exhibits and native art
-Took an afternoon tour/tasting at the Alaskan Brewing company - their shuttle from downtown costs a few bucks, but the tour/tasting is free...and you can carry beer back on board the ship! (Maybe not ideal with the kids, but man, we had fun.)
__________________
2009 WDW/DCL Honeymoon....2011 WDW/DCL Anniversary....2013 DLR 1st Visit....2013 DCL Birthday in Alaska....
.........
Mackie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #1124
misseulalie
DIS Veteran
 
misseulalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 30 minutes from WDW, 30 minutes from DCL!
Posts: 2,425

To those who already sailed- do you recommend main or late dining? We typically chose main. But for the Med we were glad we chose late dining because of not rushing to get back for dinner.

Also, can someone remind me what time is late dining? It's been so long, I forgot!
__________________
Magic 5/12/07-6/6/07 Taking the Magic to the Med and staying for 11 days!!!!
misseulalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #1125
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows
 
MickeyMomTo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,598

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseulalie View Post
To those who already sailed- do you recommend main or late dining? We typically chose main. But for the Med we were glad we chose late dining because of not rushing to get back for dinner. Also, can someone remind me what time is late dining? It's been so long, I forgot!
I would consider how the time change affects you. We had late dining at first because we booked last minute. My kids fell asleep during dinner the first night because they don't adjust to time changes well. We were able to switch to early, so that really helped. I think Skagway and Ketchikan are the only two days that you would have to be sure to be back on board in time, and we didn't feel we were shortchanged in those ports because of dinner. Oh, late dinner is 8:15. This is pacific time for part of the trip, but you fall back another hour mid-cruise.
__________________
MickeyMomTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: