Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #841
AquaDame
Are we there yet?
 
AquaDame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,443

Can someone recommend dog sledding that you can book on your own? When we booked this cruise we were in a different financial place but now with all the money spent buying our first house and all the extas of setting it up we will be on a tighter budget (but dont want to cancel in case Disney doesn't come back!) Any info on good companies for an early June run would be appreciated ^^
__________________
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #842
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran
 
AZMermaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb80129 View Post
Anyone do the Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast in Ketchikan?
I tried to use the search function to search this thread for the answer to this- but it didn't work! Anyone do this? How do you think a 17 month old and almost 3 year old would like this?
__________________


AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #843
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvhtu View Post
This thread has been very helpful. It seems that most people are taking the train in Skagway. Has anyone tried doing the bus only tour in Skagway? I am looking into either Discover The Yukon Adventure by Chilkoot Charters & Tours OR Yukon Discovery by Frontier Excursions & Adventures. Has anyone tried either one of these two excursions? Reviews will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
We did the short 3 hour tour with Frontier Excursions and really liked it. I know people that went on the train and thought it was boring since the scenery is the same going up and down and the train was not climate controlled so it was super hot.

Frontier was affordable, but we didnt do the Yukon one you're looking at.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #844
chiburple
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 347

This is a great thread! I haven't read every page so my appologies if these questions have already been answered. I saw that there are now two Disney excursions for the Yukon Train thing. One goes up and turns around and comes back down (which I've read that the way down is a bit boring) and the other lets passengers off in Fraiser to take the bus down. For those that have taken the train, how much of the view will we miss if we get off in Fraiser? Is it more of the same or is there more to see by staying on the train all the way to the summit?

Also a question about tipping: Should we tip on all excursions and how much? Do we tip someone on the train for example and, if so, who and when?

What about Harv and Marv's whale watching?
(After reading this thread I went ahead and booked that for Juneau so Thank you so much to those that made that recommendation!)
__________________
chiburple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #845
dvhtu
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108

We did the short 3 hour tour with Frontier Excursions and really liked it. I know people that went on the train and thought it was boring since the scenery is the same going up and down and the train was not climate controlled so it was super hot.

Frontier was affordable, but we didnt do the Yukon one you're looking at.

Thank you for your reply.
dvhtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #846
ucancallmetink
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 82

Just thought I'd take a minute to share our Alaska cruise excursions for the benefit of this season's cruisers.

In Skagway, we did the 4x4 Takshanuk Mountain Trail through Disney. It was worth every penny. I detailed the experience with plenty of photos in my Disney Cruise Line Skagway Review

In Juneau, we booked on our own with ERA for a helicopter/dog sledding adventure. Also worth every penny. Read more on my Disney Cruise Line Juneau review.

I'm happy to answer any questions as well!
__________________
Darcie M. from Az.
Visit my blog!
ucancallmetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #847
cleophus12
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,122

We booked the Yukon and white pass thru chilkioot on our own. Train up and bus back. We got some great pics on the bus ride down. Just gives you a different perspective to shoot from. Driver was very nice. Stopped a couple of times for photos. So easy to do too. Train is right at the dock and chilkoot sends a rep to greet you.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #848
cleophus12
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,122

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus12
We booked the Yukon and white pass thru chilkioot on our own. Train up and bus back. We got some great pics on the bus ride down. Just gives you a different perspective to shoot from. Driver was very nice. Stopped a couple of times for photos. So easy to do too. Train is right at the dock and chilkoot sends a rep to greet you.
Oh and we had plenty of time to explore Skagway afterwards.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #849
Scoobydoo76
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 158

Dog sledding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Can someone recommend dog sledding that you can book on your own? When we booked this cruise we were in a different financial place but now with all the money spent buying our first house and all the extas of setting it up we will be on a tighter budget (but dont want to cancel in case Disney doesn't come back!) Any info on good companies for an early June run would be appreciated ^^
In Juneau for Medenhall Glacier 2011 we used Alaska Icefield Expeditions. Their web site is http://www.akdogtour.com/reservations/. They did an excellent job and I highly recommend them. The excursion is still expensive but a little less than the Disney price.

You can pm me is you have any questions.
Scoobydoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #850
mickeyhereicome
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 218

Will I have enough time for this in Juneau?

I have never been on a cruise and do not really know how smoothly excursions go. My family would like to do the Helicopter and dog sled tour and a whale tour. On Disney's website it says 2.5-3 hours for helicopter tour and 4-4.5 hours for whale tour. How accurate are the times? Online says ashore at 6:15, but my family would be closer to 8 and on board at 4:30. Is the onboard time when the boat is leaving or we could get there at 4:15 and walk on? Will we have enough time or no?
mickeyhereicome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #851
MCO mama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orlando burbs
Posts: 94

We went to Alaska on another cruiseline, and I don't know if DCL offers this or not...but one of the greatest memories I have was of an excursion where we canoed up to a glacier. Well, not a 2 person canoe, but like a 6 or 8 person canoe-type boat (not sure what it is called, can you tell?). You could feel it getting colder and colder the closer you got...really amazing.
MCO mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #852
Tikifamily
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: an island off Texas
Posts: 27

Skagway non- excursion

Lots of people have written about the train trip and how great it is. But, I have not read many posts about what we did - no excursion. I know, crazy right!

We got off the ship and walked into town with our 9 year old. We went to the park board office and participated in the junior ranger patch program. It is a free program put out by the national parks. We ran through fields of wildflowers, found a playground, listened to a local talk about her childhood at a local book store and climbed the mountain to the right of town. We played games in the office and around town. Best of all, at the end when you turn in your paperwork, your child takes the oath to protect nature and preserve history and earns a patch or pin.

The junior ranger program is available in all national parks. In some places you can download the paperwork before you go. I highly recommend this "excursion"



I heard if you go on the eagle tour in Haines, you drive by Parker's house from the Gold Rush show .
__________________
Tiki Family

WDW 4th of July 1988 - family of the day
WDW Thanksgiving 2010- DD first time
Wonder Alaska 4th of July 2012- First Disney Cruise
Universal Orlando in the planning stages
Tikifamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #853
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh
 
Silly Little Pixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 2,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO mama View Post
We went to Alaska on another cruiseline, and I don't know if DCL offers this or not...but one of the greatest memories I have was of an excursion where we canoed up to a glacier. Well, not a 2 person canoe, but like a 6 or 8 person canoe-type boat (not sure what it is called, can you tell?). You could feel it getting colder and colder the closer you got...really amazing.
My kids really really want to do that one! DH is less than enthusiastic, though...
__________________
Previous Trips to my Happy Places :
Disneyland yearly since 1978, APer 18 years and counting!
WDW 74, 77, 82, 83, 87, 89, 98, 03, yearly since '08
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12



Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #854
topsy
Mouseketeer
 
topsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 359

We are booked on the September 2nd cruise and are booking the following tours (none are with DCL):

Skagway
Chilkoot Charters: Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion With Lunch / Husky Puppy Camp / Emerald Lake

Juneau
Harv & Marv's Whale Watching Tour
(We'll get dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier and return to town on the $8 shuttle bus)

Ketchikan
Misty Fjords floatplane flight - not sure who with yet. Any suggestions would be welcome!
__________________
Flying is simple - just throw yourself at the ground and miss!
topsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #855
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsy View Post
We are booked on the September 2nd cruise and are booking the following tours (none are with DCL):

Skagway
Chilkoot Charters: Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion With Lunch / Husky Puppy Camp / Emerald Lake

Juneau
Harv & Marv's Whale Watching Tour
(We'll get dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier and return to town on the $8 shuttle bus)

Ketchikan
Misty Fjords floatplane flight - not sure who with yet. Any suggestions would be welcome!


We didn't want to pay the ship's excursion rate, so when we got to Ketchikan we just looked around (you'll see advertisement signage) chose a local pilot. No advance reservation necessary. Absolutely loved the trip. Gorgeous scenery. The pilot showed us mountain sheep, and we landed on a glacier lake.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: