Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #691
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
Boring? I wouldn't say that and wouldn't choose my excursion based on those type of reviews. We were far from bored. We never stopped looking out the window or going out onto the platforms. We thought the time went by too fast.

The views are indescribable.
I whole-heartedly agree! Here are a couple pix from our anything but boring White Pass Railway excursion...

And at the suspension bridge...

Looking back at the Wonder before we departed...

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #692
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Tink1963 -- your pictures are fantastic. What month did you go in?

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
May 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #693
tink1963
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tink1963 -- your pictures are fantastic. What month did you go in?
Thank you. We went later part of August. Our sail date was the 23rd.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #694
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

We did 2 tours through Disney.

In Skagway the Yukon Suspension Bridge & White Pass Railway then in Juneau the Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier. We enjoyed both days, I only wish we'd had longer at the Glacier.

Some also asked about Grouse Mountain & Capilano Suspension Bridge we went to both of these and really enjoyed them as well.

Any questions ask away.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #695
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1963 View Post
Thank you. We went later part of August. Our sail date was the 23rd.
We sailed directly after you!

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #696
ag73
Earning My Ears

Stories and Legends Whale Watch???

Has someone has done Stories and Legends Whale Watch?
Any comments or reviews about it? Thanks
ag73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #697
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
We did 2 tours through Disney.

In Skagway the Yukon Suspension Bridge & White Pass Railway then in Juneau the Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier. We enjoyed both days, I only wish we'd had longer at the Glacier.

Some also asked about Grouse Mountain & Capilano Suspension Bridge we went to both of these and really enjoyed them as well.

Any questions ask away.
We are signed up for both of those excursions.

Did you need any special hiking shoes for the glacier?

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #698
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
We are signed up for both of those excursions.

Did you need any special hiking shoes for the glacier?
You don't need special shoes because they give you boots to put over your shoes, but I definitely recommend at least tennis shoes if not hiking boots. One lady on our tour wore open toe high heels which did not fit inside the pullover boots the provided very well. Someone in the shop loaned her a pair of tennis shoes.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #699
pixie08
DIS Veteran

We just got back! Just a warning for people booking Misty Fjord float planes in early June of next year. None of the early AM ones went out on our ship and people were left with no tours because our ship was full. We had AMZING weather all cruise but of course it was raining in Ketchikan (rainiest place in North America) so you can expect it will most likely rain. If you book that I would book a departure after 9am as those seem to go out after the fog cleared a little. Just my observation as I wasn't booked on one but they were making the cancellation announcements all morning and i talked to a few people who had to do the duck tour because that was that was available
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #700
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag73 View Post
Has someone has done Stories and Legends Whale Watch?
Any comments or reviews about it? Thanks
This company gets terrible reviews and from what I read on cruise critic MANY people were never picked up for their excursion/the excursion didn't run. I'm not sure if it's even legit from what I have read.

There are many other reputable vendors such as Orca Enterprises, Weather permitting, Harv and Marv's etc.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #701
kendzee94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post
We just got back! Just a warning for people booking Misty Fjord float planes in early June of next year. None of the early AM ones went out on our ship and people were left with no tours because our ship was full. We had AMZING weather all cruise but of course it was raining in Ketchikan (rainiest place in North America) so you can expect it will most likely rain. If you book that I would book a departure after 9am as those seem to go out after the fog cleared a little. Just my observation as I wasn't booked on one but they were making the cancellation announcements all morning and i talked to a few people who had to do the duck tour because that was that was available
We ran into the same issue on our August 23, 2011 cruise. We were able to get on a later flight, but our return time would have been too close to dinner (pirate night). It was super foggy all day, and even if we took that later flight, it appeared that the visibility still didn't clear up. I would recommend a non-flight tour that day, as our boat/flightseeing tour was also canceled due to the choppy waves/poor visibility.

kendzee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #702
Maleficent59
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
Ketchikan: Misty Fjords Floatplane (still debating on booking this directly through Disney or saving money by booking ourselves, likely with Island Wings...please weigh in!)

Would loooove to book a couple's villa treatment on our Tracy Arm Day.

Let us know if this sounds good or if there's anything we need to rethink!

Tracy Arm: if you plan to book Palo or a spa, book it in the morning. You will want to be outside on your verandah or on deck when the ship gets close to the glacier. It is incredible!

Ketchikan: either should be fine. We booked a private floatplane tour through Taquan Air. Our original flight time was 7:30 and they had us check back in with them 3 additional times to try to get us in the air - but eventually, our flight was canceled due to poor visibility. They did a superb job of trying to accomodate us. It wouldn't have been possible for DCL to reschedule so many tours so I think we had more flexibility than the folks who booked through Disney. I did not hear of any floatplane tours that actually took place Saturday. [I should add that the refund for the excursion was processed first thing Monday morning without any prompting from me and Taquan Air sent me an email confirmation before we left Seattle.]

Last edited by Maleficent59; 06-20-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Maleficent59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #703
Maleficent59
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Can't recommend Chilkoot tours enough in Skagway. We did the 8-hour excursion with the train and bus trip and it was so personal as there were only 20 people on our tour. And cheaper than the ship's excursion but we got all the same stuff.
Completely agree with the recommendation to use Chilkoot Charters! We only had 11 people on our excursion and our driver stopped whenever we asked, took photos with our cameras so all of us could have family photos (at almost every stop), optimized our stops at the most visited places (he would stop at scenic sights that would have been on the way down when we were going up if he saw that there were no tour groups there at that time) and he was highly entertaining!! We did the tour with the dogcart ride and had so much fun! Our musher completed the Iditarod race 3x and we had a very nice conversation with her on the too short, but fun ride. And the husky puppies were sooooo cute!!
Maleficent59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #704
Travel60
Earning My Ears

snorkeling adventure

We just got off Wonder yesterday and are staying a few days in Seattle. I will post fuller report when home but wanted to respond to snorkeling question. Dd talked me into it - I was concerned because cold bothers me more now than when I was younger. I loved it and definitely recommend it. It was rainy, windy and cold in Ketchikan but the snorkeling was fun. The wetsuits do not keep you "toasty warm" but after an initial chill, they do keep you at a neutral temp as long as you stay in the water. We saw lots of neat sea creatures, similar but different from more tropical locations. And undersea plants. The hardest part of the event is putting on the wetsuit - I was sweating when that was done! You do get wet so take a change of clothes and plan for wet hair. The guides are very knowledgeable and helpful. I give it a 5 out of 5.
Travel60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #705
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
You don't need special shoes because they give you boots to put over your shoes, but I definitely recommend at least tennis shoes if not hiking boots. One lady on our tour wore open toe high heels which did not fit inside the pullover boots the provided very well. Someone in the shop loaned her a pair of tennis shoes.
Why in the world would someone wear open toe high heels to walk on a GLACIER????

Anyway, thanks for the info. We have good sturdy running shoes, so I think we should be OK.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: