Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #661
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
Anyone has experiences on these excursions?

I've read some reviews that say the White pass railway is boring as well as the Bear Country and expedition is not worth the money which has me kinda concerned.

Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest
Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition
Yukon Suspension Bridge, City and White Pass Railway
Grouse Mountain & Capilano Suspension Bridge
We did the White Pass Railway and Suspension Bridge tour. The railway ride is very scenic and we enjoyed seeing parts of Alaska and Canada we wouldn't have seen any other way. The Yukon Suspension bridge was a bit disappointing as it was just one bridge over a big gorge, but it was beautiful! Our 5 year old loved the bridge but slept on the train ride. We were limited to excursions we could do with her.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #662
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We just booked our excursions last night (at midnight EST, thanks to DISboards advice!) After reading through this entire thread over many months, we booked the following for our family of five (three boys ages 5, 11 and 12):

Skagway: Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4
Juneau: Juneau City Tour and Mendenhall Glacier
Ketchikan: Rainforest Canoe Adventure and Nature Trail

I'd love to hear additional reviews and advice regarding any of these!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #663
tink1963
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
Anyone has experiences on these excursions?

I've read some reviews that say the White pass railway is boring as well as the Bear Country and expedition is not worth the money which has me kinda concerned.

Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest
Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition
Yukon Suspension Bridge, City and White Pass Railway
Grouse Mountain & Capilano Suspension Bridge
If this is the Wildlife Expedition in Ketchikan then to me it was anything but boring. My DH and I loved it so much we plan on going again in 2013 when we sail again.

Our group was very small, eight people including the guide. We had Matt and he was great. We saw 20++ bears, most of them mothers with cubs. The rainforest you go through is amazing. We went in August and had the last tour of the day, which I think helped with how many bears we saw. They were all feeding in the creek below the bridges and platforms we were on. I did hear that the tour before ours did run into a bear on the trail. I can give you a more detailed experience and some photos if you would like.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #664
maggie blossom
Mouseketeer

Anyone do Yukon Bus and Rail with Chilkoot?

The one that includes lunch and husky puppy camp?
Trying to decide if this is worth the extra time, and money.

Many thanks!
maggie blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #665
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie blossom View Post
The one that includes lunch and husky puppy camp?
Trying to decide if this is worth the extra time, and money.

Many thanks!
Post #71 of this thread has a review. I did a search on this thread and found that post along with others for the review.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #666
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1963 View Post
If this is the Wildlife Expedition in Ketchikan then to me it was anything but boring. My DH and I loved it so much we plan on going again in 2013 when we sail again.

Our group was very small, eight people including the guide. We had Matt and he was great. We saw 20++ bears, most of them mothers with cubs. The rainforest you go through is amazing. We went in August and had the last tour of the day, which I think helped with how many bears we saw. They were all feeding in the creek below the bridges and platforms we were on. I did hear that the tour before ours did run into a bear on the trail. I can give you a more detailed experience and some photos if you would like.
I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed that. After reading the previous posts, I looked it up on Trip Advisor and it's very poorly reviewed. I can book excursions next week and I'm still so torn as to what to book for Ketchican. We have a 5 year old with us, so we're not sure we want to spend the big bucks to do a bear excursion. Can you see bears just doing the preserve part, without the special guided hike? That excursion is half the price. Thanks much!
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #667
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed that. After reading the previous posts, I looked it up on Trip Advisor and it's very poorly reviewed. I can book excursions next week and I'm still so torn as to what to book for Ketchican. We have a 5 year old with us, so we're not sure we want to spend the big bucks to do a bear excursion. Can you see bears just doing the preserve part, without the special guided hike? That excursion is half the price. Thanks much!
We did the Rain Forest Island Adventure excursion with our 5 year old and she loved it! We were limited in options with her, but this was great for the whole family. We saw seals and tons of bald eagles. DD enjoyed the campfire at the end of the hike most as she liked roasting marshmallows.

The bear excursions were not offered during our cruise I assume because we were too late in the year so they were not an option for us.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #668
Disneygal19
I love ºoº

Quote:

I am doing this excursion in August and am so excited. It was nice to read a positive review on it!! We knew we wanted it the second I heard about it but after negative reviews we were thinking of canceling but you got me excited again thanks!!
Disneygal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #669
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
We just booked our excursions last night (at midnight EST, thanks to DISboards advice!) After reading through this entire thread over many months, we booked the following for our family of five (three boys ages 5, 11 and 12):

Skagway: Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4
Juneau: Juneau City Tour and Mendenhall Glacier
Ketchikan: Rainforest Canoe Adventure and Nature Trail

I'd love to hear additional reviews and advice regarding any of these!
Hi, We did the Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4 and really enjoyed it! Most children the age of your boys seemed to have a good time too.

First we took a ferry to Haines, Alaska

Haines:

Next we boarded a bus to our base camp

Onto our very nicely maintained 4x4s

Beautiful sites await you from the trail

Plenty of time that we stopped and had photo ops!

Coming back to Skagway. About a 40 min ferry ride. So many beautiful waterfals/eagles/scenery.

The food was yummy too. We had freshly baked cookies on our way up and lunch on the way down.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #670
tink1963
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygal19 View Post
I am doing this excursion in August and am so excited. It was nice to read a positive review on it!! We knew we wanted it the second I heard about it but after negative reviews we were thinking of canceling but you got me excited again thanks!!
http://www.alaskarainforest.com/Tour...xpedition.html

this is the website for the tour we did. we did book through the ship.

and wow I just went and read the review you have been mentioning. Maybe we got very lucky. Our guide was Great. year round resident and grew up in ketchikan. Here are a few photos from our excursion.

the Starting point. As you can see the group is very small.

And just to share my experience in Juneau. If you plan on visiting Mendenhall Glacier, go on your own. There is a Blue Bus that will take you up and back at your leisure. We saw a bear fishing in the creek and so many of the people that were watching with us had to leave to catch their bus back, and we got to say as long as we wanted. We did a DCL whale watching in the morning and then went to the Glacier on our own.

this is the bear we saw there.

and an eagle that was in a tree near by

And granted everyones experience is different, and I just wanted to share ours.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #671
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Quote:

I'm happy to hear it has a positive review. I'd love to see your photos.

EDIT: I see you posted them up above. Awesome photos!

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #672
mrp4352
DIS Veteran

We're back! We had a fantastic trip! We (my mom, 61, and me, 40) took two excursions on the cruise.

Skagway - We did the Yukon Expedition. The views were absolutely spectacular from the bus! We had a fantastic tour guide (Yea, Bethany of bus 1212!) who was funny, knowledgeable and very intererested in making sure we had a great time. We had some 'scenery' stops where we could get off the bus and take pictures for about 5 minutes. Long enough to stretch your legs.

Lunch was at a little tourist trap called Caribou Crossing. That said, we had a pleasant 90 minute stop and the food was fantastic - bbq chicken, coleslaw, amazing yeast rolls and cookies! Hot tea and coffee are included, but soft drinks, beer and wine were available for purchase ($4.25 for a beer). But when we got off the bus and there were fake mountain goats on the hillside... and a goat petting pen off to the right. Well, it just gave a tourist trap first impression.

This place is also a sled dog training camp. For an additional fee, you can ride the cart they use for summer training on a 1-mile trip. ($30/per person) It was fun to watch the dogs - they were calm and collected until the owners came to hitch them up, then they went absolutely crazy! Tails wagging, loud barking and jumping straight up in to the air! You could tell they were very happy and loved their job. There was also a section where you could pet the dogs and puppies, but they were really only interested in the people that had purchased the dog treats. When they sniffed my hand and realized I didn't have any treats, they would walk away from me...

After lunch, we boarded the bus and went to Carcross, a nearby town. We had a 30-minute stop, again, long enough to walk and wander and to visit the shops. We drove back into BC and at Frasier we boarded the White Pass railroad for the trip back into Skagway.

The train ride was about an hour long - and that was just about right. The scenary, to us, was not as pretty as what we saw on the bus - but it was very cool being on the train! All in all - this is a fun excursion. We thought that my neices would probably have been bored during most of the bus ride and maybe the last half of the train ride (they are 5,6 and 8).

Oh, I had hoped to do my Juneau excursion review, too, but I'm out of time right now. So be patient! I'll be back! Also, for those interested, once I get my pictures sorted and "purtied up", I'll do a trip report...

Thanks!!

Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #673
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

tksbaskets, THANK YOU for the report and the wonderful photos of the Takshanuk 4x4 port adventure!!! They are both beautiful and helpful - I really appreciate you taking the time to post them!!!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #674
Diana Lyn
A sucker for 90210
Shrek feet!
Dan likes a clean bus

Quote:
And just to share my experience in Juneau. If you plan on visiting Mendenhall Glacier, go on your own. There is a Blue Bus that will take you up and back at your leisure. We saw a bear fishing in the creek and so many of the people that were watching with us had to leave to catch their bus back, and we got to say as long as we wanted. We did a DCL whale watching in the morning and then went to the Glacier on our own.
Which whale watching did you do and do you feel it was worth it?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 AM   #675
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Lyn View Post
Which whale watching did you do and do you feel it was worth it?
When we whale watched in Juneau, we booked outside DCL (the only excursion we booked outside DCL) and were so glad we did! We had a much smaller boat which allowed us to get closer to the whales than the larger excursion boats. It was also nice to duck inside when it was misting instead of feeling like we had to stake a claim on rail space for good pix. We researched providers and went with Rum Runner Charters (see our review on Trip Advisor). Captain Chris will also either take you to Mendenhall Glacier afterward (after a morning whale watching) or pick you up there (for an afternoon excursion) so you only have to pay for the blue bus one way.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: