Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #631
Crecia27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverVal View Post
I am wondering if anyone has done the kayaking in Juneau?
We did, many moons ago and it's still one of my favorite memories!!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #632
pamama
Earning My Ears

Helicopter Trips

Has anyone taken younger children (6 yrs) on any of the helicopter trips? Or can you even do that?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #633
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamama View Post
Has anyone taken younger children (6 yrs) on any of the helicopter trips? Or can you even do that?
I believe there are some trips open to younger kids, but we didn't take ours as we didn't think she would get as much out of it for the price.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #634
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

How about the river rafting in Juneau?
Near the glacier?
Has anyone taken it that can give a review?

I understand that it is quite mild( that's ok for us) but I am having trouble finding reviews...even on cruise critic.

It is offered by Disney, but it is cheaper to do privately.
Would love to hear what it was like....

DISNEY CRUISES:
Wonder2008/ Magic Eastern2009
Magic Western2010/Wonder Mexican Riviera2011
Magic Eastern2012/ Wonder Alaska2013
son3disfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #635
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by son3disfan View Post
Near the glacier?

I understand that it is quite mild( that's ok for us) but I am having trouble finding reviews...even on cruise critic.

I believe that I found some reviews on TripAdvisor for this one when I was researching Juneau last year. You might want to check on there. From what I remember, I was interested until I read the reviews. Then we booked a kayak trip in front of Mendenhall instead (through a private co.) and that was absolutely amazing.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #636
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by son3disfan View Post
Near the glacier?

I was looking into this, but I read some pretty negative reviews on this thread and on trip advisor. They said you do not see much, you go through what looked like a residential area- not scenic? Not sure. Seemed like there were a lot of better options in Juneau
Old 05-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #637
stitch_mama
When I grow up I wanna be an Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamama View Post
We are taking our DS5 and DD8 on the Glacier Adventure by Helicopter next week in Juneau. They are super excited! I booked it directly through Era Helicopters, and there was no mention that it wouldn't be okay for the little guy. I guess I can let you know in 2 weeks how it went!
stitch_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #638
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post
I was looking into this, but I read some pretty negative reviews on this thread and on trip advisor. They said you do not see much, you go through what looked like a residential area- not scenic? Not sure. Seemed like there were a lot of better options in Juneau
Thanks for the responses...I could not find any reviews on here.. I did do a search. Would love to read them...
I will keep searching. We are trying to decide between the float trip or canoe.

ETA: I originally googled "rafting trip, this time was "float trip." and I did find one review.
Only 2 replies. One not so good, one ok .
For anyone else interested:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...au_Alaska.html

DISNEY CRUISES:
Wonder2008/ Magic Eastern2009
Magic Western2010/Wonder Mexican Riviera2011
Magic Eastern2012/ Wonder Alaska2013

Last edited by son3disfan; 05-14-2012 at 08:08 PM.
son3disfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #639
Disjanny
Earning My Ears

This is my first Alaska cruise and I'm confused about a shore excursion. I hoping someone can help.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Classic Misty Fjords float plane excursion and the Magnificent Misty Fjords float plane excursion? Other than a $1.00 difference in cost of course!
Disjanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #640
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disjanny View Post
This is my first Alaska cruise and I'm confused about a shore excursion. I hoping someone can help.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Classic Misty Fjords float plane excursion and the Magnificent Misty Fjords float plane excursion? Other than a $1.00 difference in cost of course!
It appears it's the same tour just offered by two different companies, one is Taquan and I'm not sure of the other.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #641
Disjanny
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarr29 View Post
It appears it's the same tour just offered by two different companies, one is Taquan and I'm not sure of the other.
Thanks!

Has anyone ever done this excursion? Any recommendations on which one to book? This is my last excursion decision and I just can't seem to tell the difference between them to pick one over the other.
Disjanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #642
Skylarr29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disjanny View Post
Thanks!

Has anyone ever done this excursion? Any recommendations on which one to book? This is my last excursion decision and I just can't seem to tell the difference between them to pick one over the other.
I've done this tour and its very good. Last time I booked independently with island wings air and I am booked with them again for our upcoming trip in August. In Alaska you can feel very safe booking outside excursions if you want. We are only paying $239 a person. I'm sure both are great it's just that the demand is probably too high for one company to handle it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #643
twinstars
Mouseketeer

There will be four kids in our group, 3 yr old, 4 yr old, 6 yr old and 8 yr old. We are thinking of doing the Yukon Suspension Bridge, City and White Pass Rail in Skaway. For Juneau, my husband is thinking of doing the whale watching. Will the water be rough? He says it won't, but all I can remember is whale watching many years ago in Boston and I was sick as a dog.....I am usually fine on cruise ships, but nervous about going on a smaller boat.....
Any other suggestions on excursions? We will probably skip excursions in Ketchikan and Victoria given the very short port times.
Thanks!
Twinstars
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #644
Skylarr29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars View Post
There will be four kids in our group, 3 yr old, 4 yr old, 6 yr old and 8 yr old. We are thinking of doing the Yukon Suspension Bridge, City and White Pass Rail in Skaway. For Juneau, my husband is thinking of doing the whale watching. Will the water be rough? He says it won't, but all I can remember is whale watching many years ago in Boston and I was sick as a dog.....I am usually fine on cruise ships, but nervous about going on a smaller boat.....
Any other suggestions on excursions? We will probably skip excursions in Ketchikan and Victoria given the very short port times.
Thanks!
Twinstars
In Juneau whale watching is in Auke Bay so you're not out in the open ocean. I don't recall it being rough at all. Would it be possible for your group to split up? It'd be a shame to be sick and not enjoy your day. You could also research and book your whale watching tours on your own so you know exactly which boat/size group/etc. that you are getting. Last time I went out with Captain Larry at Orca Enterprises and this time we are booked for Harv and Marv's which has a smaller boat that only holds 6 people so you get a very personalized experience. Have you been over to cruisecritic.com? There Alaska board is a wealth of knowledge.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #645
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars View Post
Thanks!
Twinstars
We did the rail and suspension bridge with 5 year old last summer and she LOVED the bridge but fell asleep on the train. The bridge was a bit disappointing to us as we thought there would be more than one, but the scenery was beautiful.

The only excursion we booked outside of DCL was whale watching in Juneau. The water was pretty flat except when racing to get us back to shore since we stayed out a bit longer than we should because we found a pod of orcas. I highly recommend Captain Chris and Rumm Runner Charters (you can read my review and see pix on Trip Advisor). Booking a smaller boat than the larger excursions offered through DCL allowed us to get closer to the whales and we didn't have to camp out for rail space to get good pix.

In Ketchikan, we did the raft/hike tour of the forest and DD LOVED this. She still talks about teaching the DCL crew members how to roast marshmallows (she couldn't believe they had never done it before even though they were from another country). We saw seals and lots of bald eagles along the way.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: