Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #571
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Is there anyway to see which are not offered EARLY in the season? We are currently booked for 6/3/2013 but I would definately move the date if it meant we could not do a bush pilot flight and dog sled excursions!
Only way is to call and ask or wait until online reservations open.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #572
sarahgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Is there anyway to see which are not offered EARLY in the season? We are currently booked for 6/3/2013 but I would definately move the date if it meant we could not do a bush pilot flight and dog sled excursions!
What excursion are you looking at? I am gold and going on the cruise right before yours. I can look it up and see if it is offerred on my cruise.
sarahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #573
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are on the 6/11 and I know all of the dog sled ones are being offered. It is just the bear excursions not available because it is seasonal so if that is important I would move the cruise to July. Also I guess the kids activities could be an issue that early? Not sure.

You can go to the DCL website under Port Adventures and check the excursion you are interested in. It will say wether or not it is seasonal and when it is offered.

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #574
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

We are booked on the May 28th cruise and this thread has been incredibly helpful so far!!!

I have a Skagway question for anyone who took a bus (or shuttle) back down the mountain from Fraser. I have this terrible fear (stupid, I know but can't help it) of taking cliff-like corners at fast speeds. Just thinking about it gives me an ulcer.
How bad is the drive down the mountain? Are there lots of times when you are driving next to a cliff or drop-off? Do the drivers tend to drive slowly?

Thanks for any help!!

Disney Magic ALASKA cruise - May 2012 : Sailing Without Flip Flops Trip Report
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2011
Disney Wonder 4 Day - October 2010
Disney Wonder 4 Day - April 2010
Disney Magic Western Cruise - October 2008
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2006
Disney Magic Western Cruise - January 2005
Disney Wonder 3 Day - December 2003
Disney Wonder 3 Day - August 2001

scrapbookingpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #575
mkladypink
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! Alaska - May 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltl Mermaid View Post
We are going on the 5/28 cruise and are totally indecisive about which excursions to do. We are interested in ALL of the following (though we know we won't be able to do it all): whale watching (Orcas specifically), zip lining, non intense glacier walk, float/rapids trip, dog sledding, and white pass rail.

We cannot decide because so many of the excursions seem awesome! I will say I am not into bugs (last time I went to Skagway I got eaten alive by "no-see-ums"...as they were called by our guide...during our horseback ride and still have a scar near my eye. It was miserable and I would prefer to avoid areas like that lol.

Any and all suggestions based on the above interests would be greatly appreciated!
Your comment about the horseback ride has made me nervous! My daughter and I are booked for that same excurstion in late may...what time of year did you get "no-see-umed"? would bug spray have helped. If it were not for the bugs was the horseback riding fun?
2002-Disney Magic
2005-WL
2007-FWR
2012-Disney Wonder Girls Only Trip with SIL & Niece
Me DH DS(12) DD(12) GM
mkladypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #576
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Bumping this up to help out this year's AK cruisers.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #577
queenbee99
DIS Veteran

I searched this thread but have not got to read all 39 pages. Is there a review for the Liarsville Trail with Disney characters and the White Pass with youth activities? Did anyone do this? I am looking for experiences with both. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #578
queenbee99
DIS Veteran

See we want to do dog sledding but I am not real crazy about the helicopter ride. I am a scaredy cat and I think dd would be too. The only other thing I have found where you don't have to do the helicopter ride isn't dogs in the snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
If it's in the budget and you are looking at dog sledding on the glacier I say go for that one. That was the highlight of our cruise. The helicopter ride was undescribable and mushing was so much fun.

We also did the White Pass Rail and that was pretty interesting.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #579
queenbee99
DIS Veteran

THANK YOU! i am debating this one as well. Is Donald the only one there? Is he in that same outfit on the boat? I am looking for something to do with my dd who is 8. Could you do this one AND the White Pass railroad thing? What other excursions did you do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by staffieri View Post
We did Liarsville booked through Disney. It was very expensive. The advantage through Disney was the characters would be there and you get to roast marshmallows. If you book this on your own with the meal I think it is a nice add on tour. If I would have booked on my own it would have only cost $29 adult and $17 kids 12 and under. This is a fare price because the Salmon lunch is so good. The place is a little silly but the kids liked it. They do a show and it has a puppet, you pan for gold, shop, and camp life to look at. And a great meal. All Disney adds is the characters and the marshmallows , which were great. You see the character so much on the boat you don't need to pay for it. This is a great tour to add on to the Dog mush camp. Why, because you can go here eat a great meal with a little fun for the kids at a good price.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #580
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee99 View Post
See we want to do dog sledding but I am not real crazy about the helicopter ride. I am a scaredy cat and I think dd would be too. The only other thing I have found where you don't have to do the helicopter ride isn't dogs in the snow.
My DD(17) was afraid to go on the helicopter and had been on one before and she loved it. We also had another adult in our group that was deathly afraid of the helicopter ride and when the adventure was over he said that was the best experience of his life and would do it all over again. Even when he got to the terminal he said he wasn't going on the helicopter and decided to just suck it up and get suited up and get on the helicopter, he even took pictures when up in the air. I had never been in a helicopter and wasn't afraid of going up and really enjoyed the ride to the dog camp on the glacier. The pilot talked to us the entire time telling us about what we were seeing and put everyone at ease on the flight.

We all had to put on our glacier boots and a lifejacket before boarding. You are not allowed to take any bags with you. Whatever you want to take must fit in your coat pocket.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #581
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookingpro View Post
We are booked on the May 28th cruise and this thread has been incredibly helpful so far!!!

I have a Skagway question for anyone who took a bus (or shuttle) back down the mountain from Fraser. I have this terrible fear (stupid, I know but can't help it) of taking cliff-like corners at fast speeds. Just thinking about it gives me an ulcer.
How bad is the drive down the mountain? Are there lots of times when you are driving next to a cliff or drop-off? Do the drivers tend to drive slowly?

Thanks for any help!!
We took a bus from Fraser back down. Our driver was really good, and because you're going down, you're not on the "cliff" side of the road - that would be if you were going up. It's a wide road with room to pull over. We stopped at the Welcome to Alaska sign for a photo op. We passed several bicyclists who were on their way down, too - honestly, I'd not have wanted to ride a bike on the highway.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #582
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

I started another thread about Chilkoot tours in Skagway. But quick question for those who did the train/bus excursion. Which is more beneficial -- taking the train up or down -- or is there not much difference?

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #583
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
I started another thread about Chilkoot tours in Skagway. But quick question for those who did the train/bus excursion. Which is more beneficial -- taking the train up or down -- or is there not much difference?
We did train up, bus down. I don't know if one is more beneficial (unless you could predict the weather!). But, it worked out great for us to do it that way. I guess one nice perk of doing it that way is that Chilkoot offered to drop us off wherever we wanted to be dropped off once we got back to town. Since we wanted to shop, he dropped us off at the end of the "main" street, while others went back to the port. Now, Skagway is tiny, so this is not a huge deal! The train depot is not far at all from the port, so I honestly don't know if one would be better than the other. I did like that we were able to get some coffee at the train depot that morning for the ride up, and some milk for DD. We were the first passenger train through that year, so that was actually kind of cool. Otherwise, I'm not sure why doing it one way or the other would matter.
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #584
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee99 View Post
I searched this thread but have not got to read all 39 pages. Is there a review for the Liarsville Trail with Disney characters and the White Pass with youth activities? Did anyone do this? I am looking for experiences with both. Thank you!
We wanted to but the White pass with Youth was not offered on our cruise because there weren't enough kids on-board to justify (we cruised in August after a lot of schools had started back).

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #585
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We took a bus from Fraser back down. Our driver was really good, and because you're going down, you're not on the "cliff" side of the road - that would be if you were going up. It's a wide road with room to pull over. We stopped at the Welcome to Alaska sign for a photo op. We passed several bicyclists who were on their way down, too - honestly, I'd not have wanted to ride a bike on the highway.
Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to hear

Disney Magic ALASKA cruise - May 2012 : Sailing Without Flip Flops Trip Report
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2011
Disney Wonder 4 Day - October 2010
Disney Wonder 4 Day - April 2010
Disney Magic Western Cruise - October 2008
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2006
Disney Magic Western Cruise - January 2005
Disney Wonder 3 Day - December 2003
Disney Wonder 3 Day - August 2001

scrapbookingpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread