Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #316
disneyochem
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thej View Post
Hmmm. We are doing basically the same times for this and I've been concerned about our 9 yearold and lunch. Heck I'm worried about all of us. Not sure we can pack enough food to keep everyone happy from 10-4.
I did this tour on the June 14th trip. I ordered room service on the Wonder (sandwiches and fruit), put the food in plastic baggies that I had brought and then we had lunch on the tour! I have one DD who wanted bagels so I also picked up bagels and cream cheese from the buffet.

I always travel with a variety of plastic bags!
disneyochem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #317
disneyochem
Mouseketeer

On the June 14th trip we did the following:

Skagway: Used Chilkoot Tours for a Train and Dog Camp Excursion. We were met at the dock by a driver of a van that seated about 25 people (20 of whom were on the Wonder). We drove up to Caribou Crossing--stopping along the way for views, wildlife, etc. It was great. Our guide would take us to areas that didn't have lots of buses or people. Stopped by a lake to skip stones as well! We had a little bit of time so we went on to Emerald Lake (an unscheduled stop which was nice!). At Caribou Crossing, we had the BBQ Chicken lunch (which was just okay, the fresh donuts were nice though!) before our dog sled ride. My daughters loved the dog sled ride and loved the huskey puppies even more! The museum was fun to walk through as well as the ice cream cones! We got back on our van and then drove to the train depot at Frazier. The Chilkoot Tour Company had one car for all us (which was nice because we certainly didn't have a lot of people so were able to move back and forward in the train car). The train ride was fantastic; we also stopped a couple of times to pick up hikers. We still had a couple of hours to explore Skagway--went to the Red Onion and had drinks and snacks. I highly recommend Chilkoot Tours--very professional and MUCH smaller than the Disney tour. We met up with the Disney tour at the dog sled camp--the group was just finishing up and getting back on the buses. Was nice to be traveling with 23 people and a guide. And, it was about $150 cheaper than Disney. Chilkoot Tours actually thinks your 12 year old is a child and charges accordingly>

Juneau: We did the Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Tour through Disney. We met in the Walt Disney Theater onboard, received our stickers (Chip and Dale) and bus number. We were in Bus 1. Got on board the bus at the dock and drove to Auck Bay, just outside of Juneau (15 minute drive). Our driver was very informative and told us alot about living in Alaska. I was worried about the number of people on the boat (since there were many, many buses at the dock) but only two buses loaded onto the catamaran (about 75 people). The boat was great--three restrooms and a snack bar. We headed out for a three hour cruise..... Saw lots of whales, eagles and other wildlife. The company provided free coffee, hot chocolate and donut holes. The snack bar sold hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, sodas, candy, etc. They also provided free samples of salmon and kelp pickles. Lots of fun. The boat was two-decked so there was lots of room to roam around. After the whale watching, we got back on the bus and headed out to the Mendenhall Glacier. Only was able to spend about one hour at the glacier--I could have stayed longer but my girls were done! The bus driver dropped us off in Juneau so we walked/shopped our way back to the ship. Juneau had free shuttles that took you from the main drag to the boat.

Ketchikan--That was our slow day. Didn't want to overbook the kids so only had the Disney Exclusive Lumberjack Show (which I'm glad I did!). The girls did not want to do anything but hang out with friends on the ship! Hubby and I left them and went on a walking tour of Ketchikan. Enjoyed walking around (Creek Street was cute). Went back for the girls and grandma for the show. We walked to the show. Everyone (but me!) loved the lumberjack show! It was well done but just not my cup of tea! Also, I was able to get the tickets directly from the Lumberjack site and not Disney (on the website, it identified the show that was Disney exclusive). Again, Lumberjack folks had child prices and senior prices so was able save about $45. The show folks also had free shuttles back to the ship so didn't really see a need to book through Disney!

We spent a couple of days in Victoria before our cruise. One of the activities we did was go to Wildplay. What a blast for the kids! It is an outdoor park that is located in the trees! Girls and I were able to climb and zipline for a couple of hours. Loads of fun! We did so much ziplining that I was able to cancel our zipline tours--girls thought it would be fun to do something else. Cost was pretty reasonable--I'm thinking it was about $50/person. I was really impressed with the staff. In the orientation, my 12 year old unbuckled a strap. They stopped her, said it was important NEVER to unbuckle these straps and made her go back down a level (we were about 20 feet high) for retraining! Momma loved that!

Also had high tea at the Empress Hotel. That was my cup of tea!
disneyochem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #318
NurseNash
Mouseketeer

Taku

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBader View Post
Thanks for posting the reviews on the Taku Glcier Floatplane. We are booked on this for the Aug 30th cruise and are super excited about it

I have read a couple postings about mosquitos--I guess they will continue to get worse. I bought those Off clipons to use, has anyone used them?
There WERE mosquitos when we were at Taku (June 18th). The Lodge did have bug spray available for people to use (it was on a shelf on the front porch of the main lodge). I hope you have fun... Taku was a favorite part of our trip for ALL of us (me, hubby, 7yo son and 9yo son). We'd do it again... food was so good.
NurseNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #319
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNash View Post
There WERE mosquitos when we were at Taku (June 18th). The Lodge did have bug spray available for people to use (it was on a shelf on the front porch of the main lodge). I hope you have fun... Taku was a favorite part of our trip for ALL of us (me, hubby, 7yo son and 9yo son). We'd do it again... food was so good.
By end of August, bug spray won't be needed. Bug season is June/July. I've been to Alaska in August and it is bug free. Going Aug 16th with Disney and will not be taking insect spray.

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #320
PBader

DIS Veteran

Inkmahm, that is NICE to know!! I bought those Off Clipons weeks ago, so I'll still throw them in my bag, but hopefully we won't need them
BC 12/02, 6/12 VWL 3/03, 1/04, 10/10 SSR 10/06, 4/07, 12/09, 12/13 VGC 1/11BLT 6/12, 11/13Hawaii, 7/04, 7/07
DCL MAGIC 7/02, 1/04, 8/05, 4/07, 8/08, 9/08, 9/10, 10/14, 10/14, 10/14DCL WONDER 6/05, 1/11, 8/11,9/12DCL FANTASY 6/12DCL DREAM 9/13
Paradise Pier 8/05, 8/08DLHP 9/10 Costa Rica 1/08RCCL 11/08NCL 12/13

PBader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #321
womanredress
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkmahm View Post
By end of August, bug spray won't be needed. Bug season is June/July. I've been to Alaska in August and it is bug free. Going Aug 16th with Disney and will not be taking insect spray.
Inkmahm,
Thank you for that great information! I'm going on Aug 23rd and I've now heard from two different people that August will not be buggy! That is a relief to me because my younger sister is like a mosquito magnet and will wind up with dozens of bug bites within minutes of going outside. It makes for a miserable time for her. I'm so glad I switched from my mid June reservation to this late August one!

Our bags are already going to be so stuffed, that information on what NOT to bring is super helpful!

Thanks again!

Aug 23rd 2011 Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder

June 1st 2008 Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Disney Magic
womanredress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #322
denise
The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page.............I look for dead people....

pray for no mosquito's next week please....I hate them, they love me...must be my O- blood they are after....I am the universal donor after all
DVC Member since 1992, Old Key West; been to:Disneyland;WDW; DL Paris; DisneySea Tokyo; Lunch at Club 33 on June 12, 2005, July 26,2008 & April 12, 2010. Breakfast at Club 33 with the DIS Unplugged and ABD group April 16, 2010. Sailed on the Magic:September 1999; First Disney cruise to Mexico to avoid Hurricane Floyd;. Sept 2-9, 2001. At WDW on 9-11;Sept 2003, First Disney cruise to go to Costa Maya;June 4-11 2005, Mexican Cruise from CA;07-07-07 MED Cruise; July 6, 2010, Baltic Cruise.Wonder: Repo Cruise April 27, 2011, LA to Vancouver, Alaska July 5-12, 2011, Maiden Voyage Fantasy March 31-April 7, 2012: Wonder: October 7-14, 2012, up the coast of California, The Pixar Cruise, The First Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk aboard a cruise ship, October 13, 2012, Magic:Venice/Greece/Barcelona Repo July 14, 2014, Norway/Iceland Repo June 29, 2015, Wonder: Hawaii to Vancouver Sept 17, 2015 and maybe Vancouver to San Diego if the powers that be allow it!
denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #323
joycsk
Red's my girl

Thanks a LOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyochem View Post
On the June 14th trip we did the following:

Skagway: Used Chilkoot Tours for a Train and Dog Camp Excursion. We were met at the dock by a driver of a van that seated about 25 people (20 of whom were on the Wonder). We drove up to Caribou Crossing--stopping along the way for views, wildlife, etc. It was great. Our guide would take us to areas that didn't have lots of buses or people. Stopped by a lake to skip stones as well! We had a little bit of time so we went on to Emerald Lake (an unscheduled stop which was nice!). At Caribou Crossing, we had the BBQ Chicken lunch (which was just okay, the fresh donuts were nice though!) before our dog sled ride. My daughters loved the dog sled ride and loved the huskey puppies even more! The museum was fun to walk through as well as the ice cream cones! We got back on our van and then drove to the train depot at Frazier. The Chilkoot Tour Company had one car for all us (which was nice because we certainly didn't have a lot of people so were able to move back and forward in the train car). The train ride was fantastic; we also stopped a couple of times to pick up hikers. We still had a couple of hours to explore Skagway--went to the Red Onion and had drinks and snacks. I highly recommend Chilkoot Tours--very professional and MUCH smaller than the Disney tour. We met up with the Disney tour at the dog sled camp--the group was just finishing up and getting back on the buses. Was nice to be traveling with 23 people and a guide. And, it was about $150 cheaper than Disney. Chilkoot Tours actually thinks your 12 year old is a child and charges accordingly>
We're doing this tour without the sled ride. I especially liked that you can leave at 8:30 if you're taking the bus first! Appreciate the review!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #324
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise View Post
pray for no mosquito's next week please....I hate them, they love me...must be my O- blood they are after....I am the universal donor after all
Sorry, you're there at the height of bug season. It's one of the reasons that I go in August!

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #325
thej
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkmahm View Post
Sorry, you're there at the height of bug season. It's one of the reasons that I go in August!
We just got back today, and didn't see a single mosquito, though the only place we ever saw the sun was Skagway it was rainy and overcast the rest of the time.

1977 - 1st trip to MK | 85-95 - day trips | Jun 88 - Disney Inn | May 90 - Grad Nite | May 03 - DCL | Jan 09 - CR
Jan 10 - CSR | Jun 10 - PoP | Feb 11 - ASMu | Jun 11 - DCL Alaska | Jan 12 - PoP/AKL | Jun 12 - AKL | May 13 CSR
Oct 13 - 1st Disneyland visit! | May 14 SWW- AKL

thej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #326
PBader

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNash View Post
Thank you, I am really looking forward to it. I couldn't talk the rest of our travel party into going on the plane, so it will only be me & dh. I don't want to wish away my summer but I wish August 30th would get here a little bit faster
BC 12/02, 6/12 VWL 3/03, 1/04, 10/10 SSR 10/06, 4/07, 12/09, 12/13 VGC 1/11BLT 6/12, 11/13Hawaii, 7/04, 7/07
DCL MAGIC 7/02, 1/04, 8/05, 4/07, 8/08, 9/08, 9/10, 10/14, 10/14, 10/14DCL WONDER 6/05, 1/11, 8/11,9/12DCL FANTASY 6/12DCL DREAM 9/13
Paradise Pier 8/05, 8/08DLHP 9/10 Costa Rica 1/08RCCL 11/08NCL 12/13

PBader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #327
BruceT
Earning My Ears

Hi, I'm local here in Abbotsford, BC, if you want good fishing guides contact STS Guides and ask for Thomas Russchtman,he is a friend of mine here and a fantastic guide.
just tell him Bruce TenHoeve sent you,he will show you a great time.
Depending on when you are fishing before or after the cruise in August we will also have Sockeye running and some late pinks and chinook(kings)

best regards
Bruce TenHoeve
Disney World Port Orleans 2009
Disney World Marathon 2009 finisher
Disney Wonder Alaska 2011
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #328
buddywesley
Mouseketeer

we just got back yesterday so wanted to update what we did.

scagway: white pass railway and trail camp. we were on the 11:45 one and wished we had gone to town earlier as we didnt have time to explore town and be back for Cars 2 that night at our 5pm showing. scagway was my most favorite port. I thought it was prettiest and we had a beautiful day there. train was great. scenery was beautiful. They don't sell snacks though so I'd advise bringing snacks along for the little ones. I was giving out snacks to other families with hungry kids! the liarsville camp was pretty silly. The show was ok and the gold panning was a joke. Fun to see an old town but could have skipped it. This is the only place I saw Mosquitos too. The bus part of the tour was great though. We got out for 2 picture stops and saw different scenery than on the train. Over all we enjoyed the day here.

Juneau: We did the whale watching and mendenhall glacier. This was a great trip! We were lucky to see a residence pod of Orcas(they say they only see Orcas 10% of the time) sea lions, porpoises, eagle trying to feed on salmon in the water and a humpback mama and baby. The Orcas were so amazing, we sat there for half an hour watching them. There were about 15 or so! Then we went to Mendenhall Glacier. Our bus driver was 237 with Evan. he was great. Glacier was beautiful but we only got to spend an hour at the glacier. My son got his jr ranger badge there so he was excited! When we returned we got dropped off into town for shopping and traces crab shack. Use those little coupon books you get at vancouver port and you'll get some great cheap souvenirs. traces was yummy! A little pricey, but the crab bisque is great and the legs are huge! I heard it's on the top ten list of places to eat before you
die! It sprinkled off and on here and was a little colder than scagway but didn't really matter much!

Ketchikan: we did wilderness explored and crab feast. It was nasty weather and the worst day we had. We boarded a smaller boat after a short bus ride(couldn't see much because the windows were so dirty on the bus. Other ports excursions drivers cleaned them) in our opinion the boat ride to pull up crabs was stupid sorry but only word I can use! Didn't see much wildlife and only 2 people got to pull up the pots. My son got to hold a crab but the other 45 minutes or so was just nothingness. After the ride we went to George inlet lodge for a crab feast. This was great! The staff was super fun and informative. The crab was all you can eat yummy and we had a stacking contest and crab dance! we were stuffed after and had to force ourselves to eat lobster that night when we returned we had time to go to town for a bit but kids didn't want to because of the rain. They went to club and I got ready for dinner while my husband went to souvenir shop again crab was great, weather and rest of excursion not so good.

I'm in Vancouver till Friday but will try to answer any questions as I can

Disney Magic MR May 2005, Disney Magic Eastern Dec 2005, Disney Magic Western Dec 2007, Disney Magic Eastern June 2009, Disney Wonder Alaska June 28, 2011, Disney Fantasy NYE Dec 2012-Jan 2013, DVC AKV owners
buddywesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #329
KathyM2
Mouseketeer

Excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrecmc View Post
We were on the first Alaskan (May 3-10). Here are my reviews from another thread:

Skagway: Yukon exploration with White Pass RR and dog sledding through Chilkoot Charters...this was FANTASTIC! Our favorite experience by far

Juneau: Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier...also loved this. Saw humpbacks up pretty close, sea lions, porpoises and bald eagles. They served drinks and snacks (salmon, crackers, chocolate) and had a restroom onboard. They also had a naturalist onboard to talk about the whales and we learned a lot. The boat is enclosed, but you can go out the back or front when they find the whales. Glacier was gorgeous and you could walk pretty close, nice trails and visitors center but only 1 hour there and it goes by quickly. I would probably not do the whale watching again simply b/c we saw so many from our verandah, though the tour was great. The 9:30 whale watchers didn't see whales and got their money back. We also did Historic Gold Panning Adventure that afternoon, since we were back at the ship in time to do another tour. Very fun. They took us to Gold Creek, where Juneau himself struck gold, and let us pan. This is really great for kids, especially in the 7-11 range. Get your feet wet and find some riches! The kids in our tour loved it. They do make sure everyone "finds" gold by giving you your first pan from their stock of sand. You get flakes and they will put them in a vial for you.

Ketchikan: My DD and I did the Potlatch Park with youth activity tour. We really liked this. You visit the totem park with a guide and he did a great job of telling some kid-friendly stories about the totems (like how one is their version of Hansel and Gretel). It didn't last too long and let the kids get up close with the totems. Then we met the carver at Potlatch Park and got to see her studio. After a quick visit to the clan house and some questions from the kids, DCL youth counselors magically appeared to help the kids paint feather-scales for the totem that is being erected. We then explored the town a bit and went to the DCL Lumberjack Show (I just bought tickets for this on the lumberjack show website...you don't have to book through DCL...it isn't literally "exclusive," though I suspect it will fill up later in the season). This was wonderful! You should definitely do it. Kids loved it. Loved. Lots of participation for the 7+ set. My parents did a trolley tour of the town and said it sucked. They also visited Saxman village and said that without a guide, it was a waste of time b/c they didn't know what they were looking at.

Interesting that the next cruise's Whale Watching adventure had loads more people. Ours was probably 35 on the boat and it was a small, fast boat, not a double-decker. We also had longer at the Glacier.
Thanks so much for your reviews! I'm so glad to see that it's feasible to do more than one excursion in the ports. We booked that whale watching and also lumberjack show the same day and I was worried it might be too much.
KathyM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #330
dkmjgal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywesley View Post
we just got back yesterday so wanted to update what we did.

scagway: white pass railway and trail camp. we were on the 11:45 one and wished we had gone to town earlier as we didnt have time to explore town and be back for Cars 2 that night at our 5pm showing. scagway was my most favorite port. I thought it was prettiest and we had a beautiful day there. train was great. scenery was beautiful. They don't sell snacks though so I'd advise bringing snacks along for the little ones. I was giving out snacks to other families with hungry kids! the liarsville camp was pretty silly. The show was ok and the gold panning was a joke. Fun to see an old town but could have skipped it. This is the only place I saw Mosquitos too. The bus part of the tour was great though. We got out for 2 picture stops and saw different scenery than on the train. Over all we enjoyed the day here.

Juneau: We did the whale watching and mendenhall glacier. This was a great trip! We were lucky to see a residence pod of Orcas(they say they only see Orcas 10% of the time) sea lions, porpoises, eagle trying to feed on salmon in the water and a humpback mama and baby. The Orcas were so amazing, we sat there for half an hour watching them. There were about 15 or so! Then we went to Mendenhall Glacier. Our bus driver was 237 with Evan. he was great. Glacier was beautiful but we only got to spend an hour at the glacier. My son got his jr ranger badge there so he was excited! When we returned we got dropped off into town for shopping and traces crab shack. Use those little coupon books you get at vancouver port and you'll get some great cheap souvenirs. traces was yummy! A little pricey, but the crab bisque is great and the legs are huge! I heard it's on the top ten list of places to eat before you
die! It sprinkled off and on here and was a little colder than scagway but didn't really matter much!

Ketchikan: we did wilderness explored and crab feast. It was nasty weather and the worst day we had. We boarded a smaller boat after a short bus ride(couldn't see much because the windows were so dirty on the bus. Other ports excursions drivers cleaned them) in our opinion the boat ride to pull up crabs was stupid sorry but only word I can use! Didn't see much wildlife and only 2 people got to pull up the pots. My son got to hold a crab but the other 45 minutes or so was just nothingness. After the ride we went to George inlet lodge for a crab feast. This was great! The staff was super fun and informative. The crab was all you can eat yummy and we had a stacking contest and crab dance! we were stuffed after and had to force ourselves to eat lobster that night when we returned we had time to go to town for a bit but kids didn't want to because of the rain. They went to club and I got ready for dinner while my husband went to souvenir shop again crab was great, weather and rest of excursion not so good.

I'm in Vancouver till Friday but will try to answer any questions as I can
We are booked for the White Pass Railway tour with the Trail Camp but I'm not convinced I want to do it yet. DH really thinks we should do the train...DS(12) wants to pan for gold but I think he'll be disappointed-DD (15) will probably listen to her iPod the whole time anyway. Should I maybe look to just do the Railway and not worry so much about the Trail Camp? Or is it worth it to have the whole experience - Train -Trail Camp - Bus? Thanks!
2005 7 Day Western Cruise
2006 November - Cruised the Eastern with a bunch of Bananas
2010 August Disney Wonder from Key to Cay
2011 August ALASKA on the Wonder
2013-2014 Midnight Mouseketeers Fantasy NYE
dkmjgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: