Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #226
famviramontes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise View Post
Thanks for the info. We are booked on this---well sorta-- the train one was full so we booked the van up and bikes down. Really wanted the rail but oh well.
Neither of us have ridden in years either but I think we should be ok. My concern is my camera around my neck. It is heavy and expensive but I want to be able to take pictures too. Are there times they stop for photo ops? Just wondering if a small backpack would work for the camera. My regular camera backpack is just too big for a bike ride. If they don't stop for pictures did people straggle behind taking them anyway?
again, thanks for the info
This was the one excursion we didn't take any pictures on. There are opportunities as we stopped several times. I wouldn't take a big camera but I had mine in a small backpack, not a problem.
famviramontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #227
lmcarr
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywesley View Post
thanks! I think we will keep the Whale watch after all and just skip the Salmon Bake...we are thinking of switching from Best of Juneau to the Glacier and Whale Quest...
We did the Best of Juneau through Disney and it was really nice and the food was awesome! The only problems were that it did take up the whole day while in port and that the lunch was late. I highly recommend to eat a really good breakfast and take some snacks. The fish was fresh and very good, definitely worth the wait.
lmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2011, 03:04 AM   #228
buddywesley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcarr View Post
We did the Best of Juneau through Disney and it was really nice and the food was awesome! The only problems were that it did take up the whole day while in port and that the lunch was late. I highly recommend to eat a really good breakfast and take some snacks. The fish was fresh and very good, definitely worth the wait.
I was thinking we'd probably not have too much time to do anything else in port on the Best of Juneau and we really want to try Tracy's Crab Shack...hmmm...what to do...what to do?! I switched to Glacier and Whale quest and then before we could switch our traveling companions it filled up and now we are on 2 seperate excursions. Not sure what to do?

Disney Magic MR May 2005, Disney Magic Eastern Dec 2005, Disney Magic Western Dec 2007, Disney Magic Eastern June 2009, Disney Wonder Alaska June 28, 2011, Disney Fantasy NYE Dec 2012-Jan 2013, DVC AKV owners
buddywesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #229
cruzings
Loving Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcarr View Post
Thanks. We also plan to do the Best of Juneau excursion but I've read that the whale watching part was not optimal because of the number of people on the boat. What was your experience?
Sept 2004 Disney Magic---Eastern Caribbean (first to Antigua), WDW Dolphin Resort
July 2005 Disney Magic West Coast---Mexican Riviera
Dec 05/Jan 06 Disneyworld
October 2007 Disney Magic---Western Caribbean/Disney MGM Studios
November 2009 Disney Magic---Eastern Caribbean
July 2011 Disney Wonder---Alaska
June 2014 Disney Magic---Europe/Barcelona
cruzings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #230
MN Dis Fans
He's a tramp, but I still love him!
I kissed Robert Goulet
I am a Pack leader

Knudson Salmon Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy May View Post
Just off the boat on 5-31, we did zip lining in Skagway.. LOVED IT...
Exlusive Whale watching in Juneau.. LOVED IT MORE... whales were so close,
awesome. The DH and DS did Knudson Salmon fishing, very disappointing for them. They did not actually fish at all, the guide did the fishing and if there was a bite on the line, then they took turns reeling it in. Spent alot of money and had to get a fishing license and salmon stamp to sit on a boat for 4 hours. WILL NOT BOOK THIS AGAIN....
How many people were on this with your DH / DS fishing? Did you file a complaint after your excursion? Did your DH / DS try to say anything during the excursion? I have booked this for my brother who is a big time fisherman, and my youngest DS. I can tell you that neither of them would be happy not to be actually fishing. I am seriously considering cancelling this based on your experiennces above, and trying to find a different fishing excursion for them. Should I drop DCL a note voicing my concerns to see what they say?

Has anyone else done this excursion, if so, what were your experiences?

TIA.
July 2015 - 15th DCL Cruise (12-nt Northern European). March 2014 - 14th DCL Cruise (7-nt Western, 1st time on the Fantasy). March 2013 - 13th DCL Cruise (5-nt on Wonder from Miami). June 2012 - Alaska & 12th DCL Cruise. August - 2011 Vancouver / Alaska & 11th DCL Cruise. WDW & 10th DCL Cruise (5-nt on Wonder) July 2010. July 2009 - 9th DCL Cruise (7-nt Western). June 2009 - 8th DCL Cruise (7-nt Eastern). Nov 2008 - 7th DCL Cruise (4-nt Wonder, no Kids!) Aug 2008 - 6th DCL Cruise. Mexican Riviera on the "Magic!" Woo Hoo!, Mar 2008 - 5th DCL Cruise. 7-night Western July 2007 - WDW, Mar 2007 - 4th DCL Cruise. 1st on the "Magic", Oct 2006 - WDW, MNSSHP & EPCOT F&W Festival + 3rd DCL Cruise on Wonder, Dec 2005 - 2nd DCL Cruise on Wonder + 1st MVMCP (Minus DS's X 2), Oct 2005 - WDW, MNSSHP & Epcot F&W Festival, Oct 2004 - WDW, MNSSHP & Epcot F&W Festival + 1st DCL Cruise on Wonder, Oct 2003 - WDW, MNSSHP & Epcot F&W Festival, Oct 2002 - WDW, MNSSHP & Epcot F&W Festival, Oct 2001 - WDW, MNSSHP & Epcot F&W Festival, Oct 2000 - WDW, MNSSHP & Epcot F&W Festival, May 1994 - WDW (Before Children), August 1992 - WDW (Honeymoon)
MN Dis Fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #231
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Dis Fans View Post
How many people were on this with your DH / DS fishing? Did you file a complaint after your excursion? Did your DH / DS try to say anything during the excursion? I have booked this for my brother who is a big time fisherman, and my youngest DS. I can tell you that neither of them would be happy not to be actually fishing. I am seriously considering cancelling this based on your experiennces above, and trying to find a different fishing excursion for them. Should I drop DCL a note voicing my concerns to see what they say?

Has anyone else done this excursion, if so, what were your experiences?

TIA.
My husband said alot of times the boats troll. Mutiple lines are set and when a fish is hooked the pole is handed off to someone. This is not uncommon but you have to ask if this is how the boat fishes and if you are interested in fishing this way
Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #232
LBollengier
If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Question Ketchikan - Coffee Fix!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boys2girls View Post
Skagway - We did the adventure park zip line excursion. We enjoyed it a lot. Fewer lines (and less expensive for it) than the Mammoth zip line, but still a great experience.

Juneau - we took the bus from the boat over to town and then took a public shuttle bus from there to the Mendenhall glacier. It was so beautiful. A great place to explore. This was one of the highlights for me personally out of all my port experiences.

Ketchikan - we walked to Starbucks in the Safeway so that I could add to my collection of Starbucks mugs and get the Alaskan one. It was the only Starbucks on the trip that I could access easily from port. I didn't get a good impression of the city compared to the other ports we visited. It seemed like the air was more polluted and the buildings hadn't been very well taken care of. We were glad for the sun though.
Thanks so much for your post!! Now, I am totally going to the Starbucks in Ketchikan - for a mug for my collection & a Latte! I miss good coffee on the cruise - just not enough to bring a pot and all!!

Is the Safeway near the Cruise Terminal?

Me DH , DD20 & DD14 DGS8 * * DVC OWNERS ~ BWV, BLT & GCV * *
Planning: Annual Food & Wine Trip Oct 14 with Halloween Dream Cruise with Lennox!! WDW Homeschool Jan 2015 & Norway Magic 2015!!
Need to Scrap!!
DCL: Galveston Nov 2013, WONDERful Alaska 11 & 13, Magic Mexican Riviera 05 & 08, Magic Carribean 01 & 07, Dreamy Bahamas July & Oct 2012
WDW - BWI/V, Cont/BLT, Poly, WL, GFL & AKL 75, 84, 86, 89, 91, 93, 94, 98, 02, 04, 06, 10, Mar+May+Oct 11, Jan+Apr+Oct 12, Jan & Oct 2013, Jan 2014
DL - 1966, 76, 87, 99 - Grand California 05 & 08
LBollengier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #233
LBollengier
If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Excursions -

THese are the ones we booked with the help of a travel agent...
I had a lot that sounded good to me and I needed help!!

Any comments - good or bad choices?

Day 4 - Skagway Friday, July 15, 2011
White Pass Scenic Railway 8:00AM - 12:00PM

Day 5 - Juneau Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 2 EXCURSIONS!!!

Exclusive Whale Encounter 7:45AM - 11:15AM

Historic Gold Panning Adventure and Gold Creek Salmon Bake 1:15PM - 4:45PM

Day 6 - Ketchikan Sunday, July 17, 2011
Rainforest Canopy and Zipline Expedition 12:15PM - 3:45PM

Me DH , DD20 & DD14 DGS8 * * DVC OWNERS ~ BWV, BLT & GCV * *
Planning: Annual Food & Wine Trip Oct 14 with Halloween Dream Cruise with Lennox!! WDW Homeschool Jan 2015 & Norway Magic 2015!!
Need to Scrap!!
DCL: Galveston Nov 2013, WONDERful Alaska 11 & 13, Magic Mexican Riviera 05 & 08, Magic Carribean 01 & 07, Dreamy Bahamas July & Oct 2012
WDW - BWI/V, Cont/BLT, Poly, WL, GFL & AKL 75, 84, 86, 89, 91, 93, 94, 98, 02, 04, 06, 10, Mar+May+Oct 11, Jan+Apr+Oct 12, Jan & Oct 2013, Jan 2014
DL - 1966, 76, 87, 99 - Grand California 05 & 08
LBollengier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #234
siburdue
Mouseketeer

Starbucks bears?

There was a little talk earlier about the starbucks and the coffee mugs a the ports, but my girlfriend collects the little Starbucks bears - do you know if any of the Starbucks in Alaska have special bears with outfits for Alaska or for the specific city in Alaska? Thank you.

Heading to the Disneyland Resort with my BFF to attend Mickey's Halloween Party on September 27 & October 1!
siburdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #235
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
It's been pretty easy to find the excursion providers online through a quick search as there aren't many different options in each port. Trying searching on the excursion name and city and you should find the operator for your questions.
I did this, found the operator and sent them a note. I received an excellent response from Sockeye Cycle Company. They told me they had bikes with SPD cleats so I could bring my shoes. Being able to clip in is a big deal if that's what you're used to. They also told me they would mount my Garmin bike computer on my bike for me. This is cool because now I'll have a GPS record of my bike trek.

Very nice and very professional. I'm really looking forward to it.

For those of you who are not sure what to expect out of your excursion, I suggest trying this method to find your tour operator and then check out their web site and FAQ. You may not need to contact them at all as their web site is generally more extensive than the Disney information.
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #236
catislander
Mouseketeer

Off the beaten track in Skagway

For those looking to do something on their own, my family rented a car in Skagway and drove into the Yukon. The highway travels a very similar route to the train, so you see much of the same scenery. We downloaded Murray's Guide (Google it)for $5 and went through Avis for $120. We were able to stop where we wanted for photos -- particularly helpful when you see bears right next to the road as we did. We had lunch at Spirit Lake Lodge, a quirky little stop just before you get to Emerald Lake. On the way back we stopped at Caribou Crossing. Luckily we were there between buses and had the place nearly to ourselves. Our DD6, loved the dog cart ride (she and I were the only ones on the cart) and the puppy time.
We left Skagway about 9 a.m. and got back around 2:30. We took our time driving, spent about an hour at lunch and an hour and a half at Caribou Crossing and stopped frequently for photos and we still had plenty of time to have a snack and a beer at the Red Onion Saloon before getting back on board.
Having the car was a great way to experience things on our own terms. It worked out really well for us and was a highlight of our trip.
catislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #237
Mouseskis
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if there are bathrooms on the whale watching boats? We are looking at the Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest or the Exclusive Whale Encounter both in Juneau. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #238
brentm3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseskis View Post
Does anyone know if there are bathrooms on the whale watching boats? We are looking at the Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest or the Exclusive Whale Encounter both in Juneau. Thanks!
Yes there were 2 bathrooms on our WW&WQ boat.
brentm3 DIS Dad's Club Member #410
1974-FW (camper) 1977-Poly 1982-Poly 1986-Treehouse Villas 1992-The Disney Inn (now SoG) 1993-GF 1998-Treehouse Villas 1999-Poly (Honeymoon) 2001-ASM 2002-AKL 2003-BCV (First DVC, First DD Trip) 2003-ASM 2003-OKW 2004-OKW 2004-PC+FW Cabin+ASM 2005-AKL+VWL (First DS Trip) 2006-OKW 2006-OKW 2008-AKV 2008-BWV 2010-VWL 2010-Wonder to CC+BLT 2011-Wonder to Alaska 2012-Wonder to MR+VGC 2012-Magic (!!) to Western Carribean
brentm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #239
mouseclick1
DIS Veteran

Still looking for a review on Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4. I've read great things about it on Tripadvisor, but would love to hear from a recent Disney cruiser!
mouseclick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #240
PPFQP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseclick1 View Post
Still looking for a review on Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4. I've read great things about it on Tripadvisor, but would love to hear from a recent Disney cruiser!
We're doing this one also, so I'd like to hear about it too. I will post a review after we return from our cruise (end of June).

Previous Cruises:
Disney Magic Western Itinerary Spring Break 2005
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 4-Night Baja Mexico March 2007
RCCL Mariner of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Christmas Cruise 2007
Disney Magic Eastern Itinerary Spring Break 2009
RCCL Navigator of the Seas Mediterranean July 2010
Disney Wonder Alaska June 2011
PPFQP is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: