Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
With just 2 adults going it makes it MUCH easier to just go and do whatever you feel like doing at that moment.
This. Exactly.

We did a no-kids long weekend several years back. It was fabulous. We ate at places the kids would not enjoy, we did things the kids would find boring. We had a great time.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
StrawberryTink
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post
Thanks for the support --- heres the sit

Its not that there is nothing to do.. or that we won't find something to do..

I am terrified of the repeat of the last experience with an adult trip.
When we go as a family, if there is an attraction the kids want to go on, and one of US didn't want to that was fine.. the one who didn't want to didn't.. saw a show, browsed the shops, had a snack as suggested and we would meet up after the attraction,

In this situation... we don't have that option. I would never just leave her to go on a ride/attraction alone. She would never leave me to go one an attraction alone. Although there are attractions that one of us LOVE and the other HATES.
Gosh you poor thing, dont stress so much. Your wife is going to be so super happy with you, its her birthday treat, withouth the little ones/big ones!!lol.
Just think of all that babysitting you wont have to do, you wont have to cut your snogging short, because the kids think its gross and you can stay up all night, order room service, go swimming together, walk together until the late hours, take carriage rides, eat at places that are beautiful and not filled with kids.

You can literally do whatever you want, whatever rides, eat where ever and whenever. Its going to be magical.

You are going to have the best time.

And really i think we all know why you didnt end up marrying that crazy girl you dated (who didnt enjoy Disney) back whenever. You married a woman who appreciates Magical Times!!

So stop worrying and start planning all the little places you can take her and things you can surprise her with.

How exciting for you both!! Wait until you see the look on her face when she finds out, you'll know you've made the right choice!!

StrawberryTink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
kehlyrsmom
Mouseketeer

My husband and I went last year for our anniversary for 6 days/5 nights without the kids the only other time we had been there just the 2 of us was our honeymoon. We had a blast we spent a lot of time at the parks. But we also spent some of our time going around to the different resorts and also took in a DVC presentation which was something we had been wanting to do to find out about it.

We had started to plan a trip back for our 20th anniversary this year but then my dad gave us some frequent flier miles so we could go to Hawaii. To be honest while we both enjoyed Hawaii and glad that we got to see it, we where both sad that we did not go to Disney. We did find Alunia and took in a tour there to at least get in a small Disney fix also we stopped by the Dole plant to have a dole whip.
SSR - Sept 2007, Sept 2009, May 2012, Dec 2013
ASMU - Sept 2008
POFQ - May 2010, Sept 2012, Sept 2013
POP - Sept 2010, Sept 2011
BWV - May 2012
AKL - Dec 2012
BCV - May 2013, May 2014
OKW - Aug 2014

Me DH DD14 DS12
kehlyrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

So far, it is STILL a secret. I actually got the reservation package yesterday which is what prompted me to come back here (been very busy summer and i had almost forgotten about it!!)

So far things are working out.. Epcot (her favorite park) has Extra Magic hours on her birthday, i have breakfast booked @ Chef Mickeys (her fave Character experience) and Dinner booked at Bistro de Paris, and a couples relaxation spa package at the Saratoga .

Then we have a full week after that to chill relax and do Disney like kids.

(and the "little ones" are 14 and 12 .... its harder to keep it from them, cause they will spill the beans..)
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
MinMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So far, it is STILL a secret. I actually got the reservation package yesterday which is what prompted me to come back here (been very busy summer and i had almost forgotten about it!!)

So far things are working out.. Epcot (her favorite park) has Extra Magic hours on her birthday, i have breakfast booked @ Chef Mickeys (her fave Character experience) and Dinner booked at Bistro de Paris, and a couples relaxation spa package at the Saratoga .

Then we have a full week after that to chill relax and do Disney like kids.

(and the "little ones" are 14 and 12 .... its harder to keep it from them, cause they will spill the beans..)
Sounds like a great trip is planned. DH & I are going in October to celebrate our 20th anniversary! We did the same thing for our 15th anniversary. Had so much fun we thought we'd do it again. Our little ones aren't so little either. They were better about it the last time (we really had NEVER done a multi-day trip away from them at that time). It is so much fun to just do exactly what we want to do. Have a great time!

Been there. Done that. Can't wait to go back!
MinMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
libcon
Mouseketeer

My DH and I go alone every year for our anniversary. We really take it easy and don't really make much of a plan. Last year we splurged on the DDP and it was a ton of food, but we ate at many 2 DC restaurants and tried a lot of great food! Don't worry, you'll have a great time!
libcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #22
bdoyledimou

All that planning and secretiveness all gone to waste --

I was making lunch and the doorbell rang, and my wife being ever so helpful went to answer the door and the UPS driver just handed my wife the ME package ...

She is .. but boooo!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

OH nooooo!!!!
Well, at least she is !
Have fun...this is something I would love to do but I think my kids would disown us!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #24
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

That's funny. Maybe ME would have delivered to your workplace if you had asked.

We love our couple only trips. Our DD is older and very easy to travel with (and loves fine dining), but it's much nicer in a studio with just two people! Heck, we even get a 1 bedroom for just the two of us.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #25
Linleedo
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up You will both love it!

We went last year for our 35 anniversary. It was the first time without kids.It's a totally different experience. We had sooooooo much fun. Actually, we liked it so much, we are returning this October. Next year, we return with the kids& grandkids. It was great to enjoy delicious meals at fine restaurants(Narcoosees was our favorite). We loved being little kids again. The rides were a blast. We strolled through Epcot & had time to spend in each country.Hollywood Studios was great. We went in September & there was no wait in lines at all.The Animal Kingdom was so much fun.We were able to enjoy the shows. I specially for her birthday. Disney will give her a pin to wear.So, whereever you go to eat; she will receive an extra birthday surprise(card, cupcake, etc.) It will certainly make her feel special & she will never forget this birthday!
Linleedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My wife is turning 40 this year, and i am planning a surprise trip to Disney world for the two of us.. no kids for the first time..

I am terrified..!! When we go as a family, the kids kind of set the pace of the day. Where we go, what attractions we see, where/when we eat etc .. this time, it is just the two of us, for 5 days alone at the world.

Many years ago (before my wife) i had an adult only trip with a girl i was dating. It was her first time there, and she HATED it. She hated the heat, the food, the crowds, even Disney itself and we ended up spending the entire week in the hotel room... and no it wasn't fun.

My wife does love Disney and she has been hinting that she wants to go for her birthday (by telling me how cool it would be to go for her birthday) so it won't be as bad as a situation as before but.....

I could really use some adults only advice to make this trip wonderful!
Wow! So much information! You are "terrified" about vacationing with your wife alone without the kids. Great relationship.

I don't know how to proceed. You have been to WDW with you wife and kids. Your wife knows what to expect. Why did you even bring up the girl your were dating years ago? Is she anything like your wife? Your wife wants to go to WDW for her birthday, so I don't think the issues your former girlfriend had any impact on this current trip.
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s

Last edited by Krissalee; 09-03-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #27
kathie859
DIS Veteran

It's a different trip sans kids......

It's a more relaxed, laid back trip without kids. DH and I celebrated my birthday/ anniversary last year and he surprised me by having flowers delivered to the room. Very sweet and unexpected. We lingered over dinner, sat and watched people and just took things at our own pace. We had fun! When we travel with our now grown daughter, DSIL and grandkids, it's a bit more hectic. Kids need to be entertained, fed, watered, and tended first.

We're doing 5 days in early December (just the two of us) to see the decorations. The trip after that will be a multigenerational trip--not particularly relaxing(but I love seeing the grands enjoying WDW)
Old 09-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #28
bdoyledimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancind View Post
That's funny. Maybe ME would have delivered to your workplace if you had asked.
I did have them delivered to my workplace We both work from home (work for the same company as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissalee View Post
Wow! So much information! You are "terrified" about vacationing with your wife alone without the kids. Great relationship.
We have been together for 6 years now. Every vacation we have taken has been with the kids. This will be our first vacation NO kids. When we go there with the kids, we usually move at the kids pace, and do the things the kids want to do. (think this was clear in the last post). As this trip will be our first adult only trip, i was originally concerned we would end up sitting in the hotel watching tv just like last time.. I really wasn't sure if she loved Disney , or loved the experiences with the kids at Disney -- these are two different things.

She is very excited now though..

Note that since we work together, at home, we basically spend 24/7 together. The fact that we have survived 6 years 24/7 -- and we don't argue, and we love each other, and have fun together, means we have an awesome relationship if ya ask me.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #29
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

you MUST have ADR's to any place you really want to eat. MUST.

and now that she knows...and is sooo excited...you can ask HER what she'd like.

I think a carriage ride at FtW would be wonderful...as well as just sitting on the Poly beach and watching wishes.

We go without people more than with..(*well, we USED to...our last few trips have been with and we are eager to go alone again) and it is wonderful. You can also have a special birthday cake made for her (check out the cake chatter thread)...I did that for DH and he loved it.

I can't wait to have a report when you get back.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #30
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Now that she knows - I, too, would suggest making a few more ADRs for "adult only" meals. You still have a bit of time before your trip - so you can probably get a few things.

I book some ADR's I'm not 100% sure about it because we can't plan all our days that well - as my other half doesn't like that. I program the Disney number into my phone and call each morning to cancel or try to make different reservations.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: