Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #151
ksdave
DIS Veteran

Our deluxe room overlooked the bocce ball court and the Villa Pool. It was extremely peaceful in the morning. But, it was also 9/11-9/15/03, so the hotel was pretty empty. The patio had small bushes around it, separating it from the other rooms' patios. Our room was a very short walk to both the Villa Pool and the Beach Pool, as well as the dock and the Piazza (sp?). It was in the west wing (a must at PBH), and had an interior corridor you could follow to the lobby area. You could not walk off the patio to the Villa Pool without climbing over some hedges. I would call ahead and request a west wing room if possible.
A definite must for those staying at PBH is a dinner at Mama Della's. Best Italian food I have ever found outside of NYC. Also, the Gelateria is a great place for morning coffee or late night gellato (Italian ice cream - very rich). Also, make sure you save time to explore the rest of the hotel. It is a really beautiful place, even the convention area. The Thirsty Fish is a nice open-air bar down by the dock with sports on the tube. Bar American is near the lobby and serves some great finger foods during happy hour. If you want some awesome pizza, go to Sal's Market for the brick oven pizza. My favorite is Italian Sausage and extra cheese.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #152
Familyof14
DIS Veteran

We love Bocce Ball. Hope our Garden view is near it.
Familyof14 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2004, 12:26 PM   #153
mouseRD
Mouseketeer

PBH

Has anyone stayed there recently? Any insights? Likes/dislikes? No posts since 5/15 about this resort & we are considering staying there this fall.
mouseRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:28 PM   #154
Daryl
DIS Veteran

I'm headed back in a couple of weeks. Was just there in Feb. It is Hands down the best resort, Including the Grand Floridian, that I have ever been to.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #155
mouseRD
Mouseketeer

Thank you, Daryl!
mouseRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:12 PM   #156
ksdave
DIS Veteran

Our stay last month was awesome as usual.
However, the best part was actually caused by a mistake they made at the end of our trip. We checked out on Wednesday morning around 8AM and had the bellhop put our luggage in storage while we did the parks. We went back to the hotel for our towncar pickup at 4PM, they efficiently loaded the car for us and off to MCO we went. When the driver unloaded the baggage at MCO we realized we were short one bag - a very important bag as it contained all of our medicines, work ID, etc. I called PBH, where they immediately put me on with the Bell Captain. He asked when our flight was, I explained it wasn't for (90) minutes. He personally jumped in the hotel's towncar and drove the (25) minutes to the airport, delivering the bag to us right at the Delta counter.
How many other hotels do you think would do that?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:37 PM   #157
MadamG2U
Mouseketeer

Now that is what I call good customer service!
MadamG2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:45 PM   #158
Motherfletcher
Proud Redhead
My username is an obscure line from Shrek 4-D

What Club room do I want?

I have tried to read all threads and have rec'd conflicting info. I want a Club room with 2 queens and a balcony. Do I want 2663 or 2665? What are the hours for the pool table in the club room? How early is the morning offerings?
Thanks in advance.
Motherfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #159
MadamG2U
Mouseketeer

We were there last August and stayed in room 2663. We had 2 queen beds and the balcony. I loved that room! Going this year but we've requested bayview rooms.
MadamG2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:37 AM   #160
WDWmaniac125
Secretly has the un-hots for Cal Ripken

I'm staying at PBH from July 30- August 1. We are a group of 9 people( 3 rooms total) and I was wondering if you guys had any tips about restaurants, parks, etc. This is not my first time to UO but it's my first time onsite so I need all of the planning help I can get!

Thanks!
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'January 15, 2005 6:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to my Disney Youth Group Trip </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'With my pals in WDW!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
WDWmaniac125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #161
cjsmith
We can head over there together after the DIS meet!
Loved Stingray City!

I'm at the Portofino right now and I can honestly say that this is the last time that we'll be staying here! They have screwed up on our rooms the whole time we've been here. They were over booked and gave us a regular room with access to the club even though I booked club. The room was about a 15 minute walk to even get to the club lounge. The manager on duty made all these promises about taking care of us today, finding us a better room, maybe even a suite. We were to have our bags all packed and call first thing this am and they would take care of moving them and setting us up in our new rooms first thing this morning. Well, we come back from the parks at 3:30 and our room isn't even ready and our bags are still in our old room. They sent me to the new room after waiting for 15 minutes, it's not ready still and it's not even a great room. So much for his promises of so overwhelming us that we would be dying to come back.
The lounge is a waste of money. For the cocktail hour last night they had either domestic cheeses or imported cheeses out and that was it! There are too many people using the club for the amount of food they have out and they don't restock. Breakfast as quickly whisked away at 9:55 am this morning. Boy, within 2 minutes, everything was gone!
I can honestly say that this trip has been a huge disappointment. I had such high hopes for this vacation and stay. We've always enjoyed our stay at Loew's hotels prior and are members of their club. Last weekend we stayed at the Ritz Carlton in South Beach and boy do they put this to shame!!!

Carolyn

Way too many trips to Disney to count them!
July 19, 2002 Wonder
January 5, 2003 Wonder
June 7, 2003 Magic
January 3, 2004 Magic
July 23, 2006 Wonder
cjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:24 AM   #162
Motherfletcher
Proud Redhead
My username is an obscure line from Shrek 4-D

Boy, this doesn't sound good for the home team! I have PBH Club a week from tomorrow for 2 nights.
I'm getting a free night. Still not worth it? At $129 per night?
How did they overbook? What time of day did you check-in? Was it just because it was Saturday night?
I know what you mean about the Club Lounge being a quarter mile away! We had the last 2 rooms on the Villa wing last stay and no one believed me when I told them how far it was.
So the club is so crowded just when they put the food out? Like feeding chickens? Or wolves?
You'll have to PM me all the gorey details.
And all the good things at Ritz Carlton South Beach.
Our two Ritz Carlton's in Naples are known for service.

If your still there, you should ask the manager if what he did to "take care of you" would make him want to come back?
Motherfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:45 AM   #163
cjsmith
We can head over there together after the DIS meet!
Loved Stingray City!

Hey Motherfletcher, our two Ritz Carltons in Naples are wonderful! Nice to see another person from Naples on line!

For the $129 a night it's well worth it. We paid $325 per night, plus $25 for a rollaway, so it's not worth it to me. The lounge is a mess right now and there are way too many people booked for this size club lounge. It's amazing to me that they let 2 full floors be club when they don't have the room in the lounge to take care of them. The poor people who work in here can't keep up with the cleaning to be able to restock the food!

Carolyn

Way too many trips to Disney to count them!
July 19, 2002 Wonder
January 5, 2003 Wonder
June 7, 2003 Magic
January 3, 2004 Magic
July 23, 2006 Wonder
cjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 09:19 AM   #164
cpl100
DIS Veteran

cjsmtih, so sorry you are having trouble on your vacation. I hope they do something spectacular to make it up to you. Please keep us posted.
cpl100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #165
Daryl
DIS Veteran

What a horror! I hope you at least had fun in the parks! I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time at the hotel. I am one of the people who love the Portifino Bay for its beauty, The room funishings, size, the Entertainment rates, AP discounts, and proximity to the parks. I go quite often and I'm heading back soon, but you are right, when the hotel is heavily booked they can make a mess of your trip. It has happened to me twice. The first time they released my room, after I had called to say I would be comming in late. They did finally find a decent room for me at a lower price but only after a lot of stress and strife. On my next stay they lost my reservation then charged my card twice by mistake, but I checked in early enough so that I was able to get a manager to retrieve the reservation and work with my bank to correct the over charge. Since then, at this hotel, I always call 5 days and 24hrs before I arrive, I get the names of the people I speak to and check in as early as possible. NONE of this helps you and again I'm so sorry for your trouble. I hope your next trip is much better!:D

Last edited by Daryl; 06-13-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: