Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2002, 12:13 PM   #1
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Exclamation PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL Information

BY POPULAR REQUEST!

This will be a thread dedicated to information for the UNIVERSAL PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL.

Add all of your information about rates, discounts, room types etc. here!

:D

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 12:37 PM   #2
MadaboutMIB
Earning My Ears

Bay Rooms-what location do I request

I just booked PBH through Expedia for $132.50/night. Was just wandering what should I request, as far as location, to be close to (if possible) the boat, pool and restaurants? If only one is possible than I would like to be close to the boat. Thanks. I have never stayed here I am really looking forward to it - heard great things. Although, I still can't seem to drop my ressy at HRH for deluxe room just yet (just in case).

Kim
MadaboutMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Daryl
DIS Veteran

I'm on my way back to PBH in a week. Its the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in! I love it more than the GF at Disney, Have a great trip!:D
Old 10-02-2002, 10:20 PM   #4
E.Jane
Mouseketeer

PBH booked for 5 nights April 3 - 7 at $230 for a deluxe, fan club rate. 5 night minimum to qualify.

My problem is I only can stay 4. Any thoughts on whether they'll allow me to pay the 5 at discounted rate vs. 4 nights at rack when I check out. Believe it or not, paying for 5 nights at $230 is still cheaper than 4 nights at $329!
E.Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:40 AM   #5
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

What rates are people getting for between Christmas and New Years (not before)? I got a rate of $209 a night, but if better rates are out I want to know if I shoud start calling again. Anyone?
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:28 AM   #6
Seahag
yes...I'm a natural blue...

stuffy ???

Aisling :

The PBH is in NO way stuffy, granted, it is beautiful & the first time, we were ovewhelmed by the grandeur , HOWEVER, it is a real nice place & if we didn't feel uncomfortable, then everyone else should be fine. The way you are treated makes you feel like royality.
This will be out 3rd trip back, we can't get enough.
I say go for it, I can't imagine you would regret it.
Haggy
Old 10-03-2002, 08:52 AM   #7
SuAnne
Mouseketeer

We are going for two nights in early December and I have the Entertainment Rate for RPH for $99 ( plus still have to buy the Entertainment book). I can get a rate of $169 for a Bay View at PBH through Expedia. Since we are only ther for the two nights, I was thinking we should splurge and stay at PBH.... but not sure what to do Is PBH nicely decorated for the holidays? Also... at the Universal hotels is there somewhere to buy a container of milk for DD? Thanks!!
SuAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 11:29 AM   #8
Daryl
DIS Veteran

If a hotel is just a place for you to sleep while you enjoy the parks don't bother switching, I've heard and read great things about the other on property hotels, on the other hand, if the hotel is an very important part of the overall vacation experience for you then
you will not do better than the PBH. Whatever you choose I know you will have fun:D
Old 10-03-2002, 04:58 PM   #9
PartyofSix
TripMomma + 4

KIM: Requst East Villas there a hop to the boat and the resturants don't skip Mama Della's it's wonderful and the kids will love it.

Offically PARTYOFNINE
PartyofSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 07:39 PM   #10
E.Jane
Mouseketeer

Looking for recommendation on room location

We have a deluxe room booked, and wondered if these room types are available overlooking the villa pool. Or is the bay view better (or is a bay view even an option)?

A balcony is also very important to me and I've heard a few deluxe rooms don't have balconies. The first part of our week will be at the HRH, and we've always stayed at moderates at WDW, and never had a balcony. I want to be able to sit out there at the end of the day and sip a drink! From the pictures I've seen, the balconies don't look very big. Are they big enough to sit out on, and are there chairs out there?
Old 10-04-2002, 10:08 PM   #11
Fan2CSkr
If you can judge a wise man by the color of his skin, then mister you're a better man than I

E.Jane,

"We have a deluxe room booked, and wondered if these room types are available overlooking the villa pool. Or is the bay view better (or is a bay view even an option)?

A balcony is also very important to me and I've heard a few deluxe rooms don't have balconies. The first part of our week will be at the HRH, and we've always stayed at moderates at WDW, and never had a balcony. I want to be able to sit out there at the end of the day and sip a drink! From the pictures I've seen, the balconies don't look very big. Are they big enough to sit out on, and are there chairs out there?"

You have a deluxe pool view booked (beautiful rooms) so I would like to make a suggestion. Prior to our first visit a balcony was very important to me also. I didnt realize that most rooms do not offer balconies no matter what the view. So we ended up in a bayview with a very small balcony no table. While we were there I looked at the deluxe pool view rooms (like you have booked) and decided next trip we would request this. I was thrilled with our room ground floor that offered french doors opening to a patio overlooking the villa pool. The patio was more spacious than the balcony, table and chairs.

I prefer the west wing to the east wing rooms. If you do decide to try for a patio we stayed in room #2258 (2 queen room)
Another room #2665 is a deluxe also with a balcony. (King room)
The other room was room #2461 (small balcony)

One other mention, if you are staying during a busy time dont be too upset if you get neither. If that happens have a nice relaxing drink at the main piazza and you can also stop by the Gelateria for authentic gelato to savor on the patio.

Hope you are able to get a room you desire!
Fan2CSkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:34 PM   #12
CPM
Stands up in the Spider-Man ride for a better view
Universal Orlando onsite resorts expert

PBH Stuffy??????????????????

I always laugh to myself when I see that people describe PBH as stuffy. It *IS* a luxuious resort. You *DO* see people in tee shirts & bathing suits. There *ARE* kids everywhere. It is by no means stuffy. I lug my cooler in, I have my kids, they do what kids do,even like they do at Disney's All stars. It has two family style restaurants, pizza place, ice-cream place, arcade, three pools and so on. It's a relaxed luxuious resort.
If you don't care about the amenities at club level, book PBH .t's a great rate! I love club level at RP but we use it, if I didn't use it then I would book PBH hands down. hopefully some day they will bring club or concierge back to PBH!
CPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:42 AM   #13
corvair
Doesn't need a fancy tag

Where is a good location to request to be near the main pool? I have 2 DDs that will want to be running back and forth from the pool to the room. thanks..amy
corvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 08:21 AM   #14
CPM
Stands up in the Spider-Man ride for a better view
Universal Orlando onsite resorts expert

Quote:
Originally posted by corvair
Where is a good location to request to be near the main pool? I have 2 DDs that will want to be running back and forth from the pool to the room. thanks..amy
Just ask for the west wing near the beach pool.
CPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 10:48 AM   #15
E.Jane
Mouseketeer

Thanks Fan2Cskr - I will request #2258 - sounds perfect!

And to those trying to book rooms with discounts who are faced with "minimum nights" required. I booked 5 nights to get a fan club discount, but was unable to change my flights and can only stay for 4 nights. I called back to see if checking out after 4 nights, but paying the cheaper rate for 5 would be a problem. The woman on the phone was very helpful and changed my ressie to 4 nights at the discounted rate! I was totally shocked that they were willing to do this. I'm not sure WDW would ever give me such a break, so hats off to Universal and the PBH hotel!

I also got an explanation on how the discounts are released. Apparently they are all computer-generated. The computer goes back to last year's occupancy records, and if it was really busy then, they will hold off releasing discounts. I'm planning on arriving March 31st next year, which just happened to be easter week this year. Although she checked and said there are tons of vacancies for that week next year, the computer has not yet realized it's not easter week. Eventually (hopefully soon) they'll see that they have to release something to fill up the rooms that week. So to those of you getting worried about getting a discount, keep phoning - every day!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: