Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
jessp1021
*Dreamin of Disney*

Fairy GodMother, Kids Night Out, and more

I have seen a couple different questions asked about hiring a sitter while in the world and I want honest reviews of the best and the worst..We will be down in November with our 10yr old and 4yr old and I would loveeee to surprise my husband with a night out for just us (this is our 5th yr anniversary and we went to Disney on our Honeymoon so it would be somewhat sentimental!) With that in mind I do have questions that hopefully some of you can answer or direct me to the answers:
1. Are these people background checked before being allowed to sit with children
2. Do they have up to date CPR training?
3. Are they allowed to take your children out of the room? Do they have a specific place that watch them at?
4. Do they plan anything to do with the children or it is it your typical sitter style deal?
5. Are these teens that watch them or adults?
6. With the programs that are at the other resorts how would we get more info about them?
7. How much does it run? Do you tip them in addition to their base pay?
Again I know it is ALOT of questions but I would rather be prepared before hand
'06 Honeymoon..Brought back an extra special souvenir..our own little minnie mouse 9mo's later!!! '07 First Family Trip '08 First time on the Dining Plan AND first flight for both kids '10 Birthday Celebration trip for DS '12 Princess Trip for DD '14 Birthday Celebration for DD

"A Christian walks by FAITH...not by FEELINGS"
jessp1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Have you been to KNO's website? Many of the answers to your questions are there.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

I've used Kids Night Out and can answer a few of your questions.

First, I must say that I highly recommend them. Top to bottom, out experience was great!

Yes, they are background checked. Not sure about CPR, but I think I remember that they are certified. Our sitter came armed with age-appropriate games and activities, but in the end, they ended up singing songs and watching a movie before my 3-year-old fell asleep from disney-induced exhaustion. Our sitter was an adult, I would say in her 30's ... maybe late-20's, definitely not a teenager. We always tip sitters and do so with Kids Nite Out, however, I think are sitter was a bit surprised that we did and it didn't appear to be a requirement....

Are you nuts? It's Spring Break at the Grand Flo, March, 2015! Blowout Trip for Seven to the GF Villas! August, 2014! Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

I recommend KNO too. My girls were taken care of by a young lady in her early 20 and they LOVED her. It was the first time since they were born, 4 years ago, that we got them babysat. It was our anniversary day and we wanted to celebrate a bit. We left at 7pm and returned at 1am and the girls were in bed and sleeping which to me tells me how confortable with her their were. We had told her not to force them to go to bed and they could wait out for us. We called at 10pm and they were already sleeping. She had brought them to the POR playground and had bought snacks with our key to the world as we had instructed her to do if they were hungry. She did puzzles, colored with them, sang and watched a movie during whic h they fell asleep. She had them in their pj's and had them brushed their teeth too which we didn't expect. We felt VERY confortable with her and plan on having her again in August. We had told her to feel free to order anything if she was hungry, which she didn't, and she was really greatful for the tip.

The girl we had has a University diploma in childcare and was CPR certified. She arrived with a bag full of stuff to do with the kids. She was also alloud to administer medication if instructed to do so. They however can't bring them to the swimming pool nor give them baths.

1. Are these people background checked before being allowed to sit with children
Yes they are!
2. Do they have up to date CPR training?
YES!
3. Are they allowed to take your children out of the room? Do they have a specific place that watch them at?
Yes they can take them out if you allow them. You can tell them to not leave the room. they can even take them to a Disney park but you have to pay for their ticket.
4. Do they plan anything to do with the children or it is it your typical sitter style deal?
ours had a bag full of toys and games age approrpiate for our girls.
5. Are these teens that watch them or adults?
We had requested someone full of energy so they sent us an early 20 yo girl. they also have older ladies grandma type age if you would prefer that which I would if I had a baby.
6. With the programs that are at the other resorts how would we get more info about them? Check the website for us it was cheaper to get someone from outside Disney to take care of our 3 girls. We also prefered someone in our room because we didn't want to have to wake the girls up if they had fallen asleep at Disney kidsclub.
7. How much does it run? For us it was $21/hour for our 3 girls. as per their site, here's the prices
1 child $16.00 per hour
2 children $18.50 per hour
3 children $21.00 per hour
4 children $23.50 per hour

Do you tip them in addition to their base pay? Yes I did tip her because they only get a part of the money you pay to the agency and we felt she deserved more. Ads per their site, Our caregivers are able to accept a gratuity in cash if you feel that you were extended exemplary service

something else to consider taken directly from their site...
The Fine Print
*All rates are hourly based. Four (4) hour minimum charge. Caregiver transportation fee is $10.00. Reservations that begin after 8:59pm require an additional $2.00 per hour premium. Cancellations require a twenty-four (24) hour advance notice. Advance reservations are required. Holidays and special events require an additional premium. Rates are subject to change. Payment is by credit card only. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover are accepted.

In-Room Caregiver Qualifications
Our professional caregivers:

are at least 18 years of age
are certified in child/infant CPR and basic first aid
are trained by Kid’s Nite Out & must complete Walt Disney World “Traditions”
have previous childcare or teaching experience
are thoroughly interviewed, screened, references are checked,
and criminal background checks are performed
Many of our professional caregivers possess advanced training,
a state teaching certificate or a CDA certificate.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

I like and have used several times Fairy Godmothers.... all the ladies are older moms or young grandmothers with LOTS of experience. FG was the ORGINAL babysitting service for WDW long ago.

But, for the ages of your children I would recomend using one of Disney's Kid's clubs.... older kids can get bored sitting in their room even with a great sitter (unless you want them to be sleeping.... which is a good reason to have some one come to your room) My boys LOVED the Neverland Club so much and we were always back in time for a reasonable bedtime that we did it twice last trip . It costs a little more... but I think it is so much more fun for the kiddos....

DS 11 DS 8

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

I have used KNO.

These are not teen sitters, but adult women hired to a nanny service.

I have only had my infant son watched. Never occurred to me to bring toys on that trip...I tend to travel light. But she came with age appropriate toys for him. I imagine with older children, they might have some age appropriate activity.

Our sitter seemed college aged (young adult). She handled my son very well.

I would not hesitate to us them again.

I am sure they might fall under some state licensing guidelines that may or may not require the CPR training as such. But my sitter was trained in all of that.

They could not leave the room at all--other services, may.

The Kid's clubs may be better for your kids. My kids love those type of things. As a kid, I did not like that at all. Was okay for a bit--but I kind of felt abandoned as I was a daycare kid at home and did not like daycare on vacation.

My kids are home all the time, so they love the opportunity to go play elsewhere.

You may ask your kids what they prefer.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: