Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2002, 10:52 AM   #1
Disney Debbie
Survivor
Disney Queen
Would like a self-cooking stove
Fly paper couldn't be any tackier!

The Perennial Question-Off site or On?

I'm going to post this on the resort board and the other Orlando board!

We're staunch On Site people - usually! But this June we're going to bring our teen age niece and nephew with us for 5 days. That will make us a party of 5 - it's a whole lot easier to stay on-site with just 3!!!

Soooo - I'm seeing 3 bedroom condo's on Dreams website for $105.00 a night for the first week of June. That's really hard to resist. My choice is between doing something like that - or maybe a suite in DD - as opposed to getting 2 All Star's rooms - hoping I can get a code to keep the price down.

I'd like to hear from those of you who've maybe done both in the past or have made this choice for yourselves. I really like the idea of on-site for the convenience - but I don't relish the idea of squishing 5 in a room - including a teen age boy who's NOT my son! And I want to keep it affordable!

Opinions and advice please!

Disney Debbie @ Blizzard Beach 6-7-08 with her nieces, DH, DD & brother
Disney Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Rhonda
Quote of the Day: Happiness is a Warm Puppy!

Talking

Have you looked into the FW cabins? They're beautiful - and they sleep 6 people! There's a fold-out murphy bed in the living room, and a bedroom that has a double bed and a set of bunk beds.

They have full kitchens, full housekeeping service (they even do your dishes!), a deck with a grill and picnic table, and beautiful surroundings! There's a lot to do at FW too, in the evenings when you're not at the parks!
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
susy
3000+ post veteran!

Hey! we are doing the same thing in just a few weeks. It will be myself, DH, DS (age 4) and my niece(13) and nephew (16). We got a good rate (there should be codes available for June) at All Satr Sports, so we have two rooms reserved. I also thought about doing a suite/condo offsite.

Here are the reasons I decided to stay onsite:

1. I wanted the kids to experience staying onsite. They always stay offsite with their parents.

2. the ease and convenience of transportation. This was a big one. Much easier and cooler getting onto a bus than loading everyone in and out of a car. The farthest point is Mk- about 15minutes.

3. If we separate- the kids will have their own room keys, so if that happens- nobody is lost. They have their key and can use the bus system to get around.

4. convenience of the food courts/mugs

5. two rooms/two bathrooms. I will let the kids have their own room- but it will still be connected to us.

Once you are offsite, everyone pretty much has to stick to the same plan. If one is sick, everybody must leave. Onsite, we can split up if we want . Also, we like to take a mid day break and swim. The kids are not use to that either. They are used to going nonstop and leaving exhausted.

I will post a trip report when we come back, so you will get to see how it worked out.
11/05-BWI CL, 9/06-YC CL, 11/06-WL,1/07-AKL CL,
3/07-CSR, 9/07-BC CL, 11/07-WL CL, 5/08-YC CL, 4/09-BWV, 3/10-AKL

First trip to US/IOA-
9/08- Royal Pacific CL
5/09-Portofino CL
9/09- Hardrock CL
9/10-Hardrock CL
susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:53 PM   #4
Disney Debbie
Survivor
Disney Queen

Thanks Susy - Please PM and let me know you've posted your report when you do - I don't usually check the trip reports but I definitely want to hear about it. All the reasons you stated are the same reasons I'd like to be able to stay on-site! I'm just not used to having to shell out so much money since it's usually just the 3 of us!!

Rhonda - I have considered the FW Homes. I'm not sure how much $$ I could get it for and don't see much about them here! Any insight would be appreciated!

Old 10-02-2002, 02:51 PM   #5
Rneighh
This is a horse of a different color! :)

We have stayed off-site once. And will never do it again. The hotels just don't have the magic. I love never having to get in a car and drive for a week. You know a Disney hotel will be wonderful others can and are bad. We stayed at Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort and it was awful. No theme, no magic -- just room.

I would stay Disney if you can.

Renee
Rneighh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:23 PM   #6
cinder1
Mouseketeer

We've never stayed off-site, but there is a Doubletree Suite hotel at Downtown Disney. Mousesavers.com gives it a good review and they have specials for Mousesavers.com patrons. Check out the review. At least you would be in DD, near restaurants and DQ.
cinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:02 PM   #7
Rhonda
Quote of the Day: Happiness is a Warm Puppy!

Here's a link to our Fort Wilderness discussion board - you'll get lots of information over there! Fort Wilderness Board
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
anne60
DIS Veteran

on vs off

This November we are staying off site to save $$$ and have a little more breathing room. We are driving down, so will have our own car for transportation. If I did not have a car, I would definitely stay on site. I have an AP, so parking at the parks will be free. I have 2 teenagers and a 10 year old, and the thought of all of us in one room at POR or the Poly was just too much for me this year (my 16 year old takes 20 minutes to blow dry her hair - such a joy to listen to!). We are spending 3 nights at Hard Rock (my daughter's 17th bday present), so we will get lots of atmosphere there. In the end, I chose cost and space over atmosphere and busses. We are usually so beat by the time we get back from the parks, we barely notice eachother, never mind the surroundings, and the extra space will make getting ready for the day much easier. I will save $480 by staying off site (Comfort Suites Miangate East) for 4 nights as opposed to the Poly.
anne60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:12 AM   #9
montessori
I just pack it all and then bring it all back home again
Had a Jeb Bush sighting at the Boardwalk

Hi Disney Debbie,
This is always such a tough decision!

My first thought is...you need 2 bathrooms!

How was your Vegas trip?

Good luck deciding on this upcoming vacation. I'll be interested to see where you end up. Have fun!!

montessori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:21 AM   #10
peachgirl
DIS Veteran

If we couldn't stay onsite, we wouldn't go. That's just us, but it's a deal breaker! On our last trip to WDW we stayed offsite for our last night and that gave me enough of a taste of what it was like to know I'd never stay offsite for the entire trip. The offsite hotel was fine...nice room, good continental bf...but it was just not like being IN Disney. We had stayed till the parks closed that last night so it was just a matter of a place to sleep before heading home, but the mood of the entire day was different knowing we didn't have a "home" to go to during the day! We stayed at FW many years ago and I'm sure a lot has changed ( I know they recently renovated the "cabins") but we loved it there and they have a private bedroom and full kitchen! With an AP rate the cost might not be too bad. Also, because you'd be right there it would be fairly easy to eat most meals in the cabin which could save you a ton of money. Just my opinion, but we would cut costs everywhere else we could if need be, but onsite is a must.

peachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:15 AM   #11
Disney Debbie
Survivor
Disney Queen

Keep those opinions coming!

And for those of you who have stayed off-site - liked it or not - please tell me where.

montessori - Our Vegas trip was AWESOME! We had a wonderful time. I've written a thorough trip report on a Las Vegas board I go to if you'd like EVERY detail!! The best part was my DH got us free tickets to see "O" at the Bellagio. This show is well worth the big bucks it would have cost - so it was that much sweeter getting to see it for free!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: