Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

My Laid-Back, Stress-Free, Solo Trip (REFLECTIONS)

Hello Disboarders, please join me on my latest solo trip. I had a great time with pleasant weather, low crowds, a refurbished room, and a slow touring plan.

I am Mike, a retired teacher living in the Ozarks of Missouri who had to make this trip alone as all other family members are busy. I guess not everyone is retired and can go whenever they want.
I did do a PTR and it is located Here:
I like to read Trip Reports that are divided into chapters making it easy to follow the trip, so I will attempt to do the same thing. I hope that you enjoy the trip!

DAY ONE (May 2)
Getting There - Missouri to the PoP Century Resort

First Night - The Magic Kingdom

DAY TWO (May 3)
Morning - EPCOT
Evening - DHS

Flower and Garden Festival Photos Part 1 Part 2

A Video for my Granddaughter

DAY THREE
Animal Kingdom Kilimanjaro Safari Expedition Everest The Trails NEMO and Lunch
Downtown Disney
EPCOT

DAY FOUR
Magic Kingdom Pt 1 Pt 2 AKs Jammin' Jungle Parade Wishes

DAY FIVE DHS EPCOT

LAST DAY

Reflections on my trip
Our 2008 Christmas Trip Report
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos

Last edited by MOmousefan; 06-25-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Trails!)
Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Sorry
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
bzlady2
Earning My Ears

Looks like you are off to a great start. Have a magical journey!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Solo Trip

Thank You bzlady2 - I am still organizing all of the photos and video I took over the six days I was there. Day One should be up shortly.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

My Solo Trip

Today's the day! My flight out of Kansa City (MCI) was at 12:55, so I left home at 8:30. My DW was already gone to school and my DS was at work. He has moved home after a fire at his apartment caused smoke damage and he will be here for several months. I really missed his truck when he left home, but it is now available. I had planned to wear shorts, but it's 47 degrees and long pants are a must. It is a scenic three hour drive from our house to MCI through the Ozarks.

Rather then park out in the middle of nowhere at the airport I used a shuttle service called Park Air Express. Their rates are $6.00/day and I had one free day with a coupon. Upon arrival I got out of the car and was greeted by a young lady who handed me a ticket, another person loaded my two bags on the, I grabbed my camera bag, and we were off to the airport, all in less then 90 seconds. I'm glad I had everything in order before arriving. The drive to the airport took 10 minutes. The driver told me to check my bag with the Skycap rather go inside to the ticket desk. Keep in mind I am a vary infrequent flyer and am out of my comfort zone at the airport. The Skycap was a wise choice as the ticket desk was swamped. It is time for lunch and they have a Burger King, something we don't have at the Lake of the Ozarks. I know, I am easily amused, but their burgers are good.
Security was a breeze even with a camera bag, carry-on, laptop, belt, and shoes in bins. I had to hold my pants up until I retrieved my belt! I sat by a couple who were going to visit their daughter who was a CP at Wide World of Sports. She worked in food service and was near the end of her term. Of course she hadn't saved any money, but that what college students do.
The flight was uneventful, the best kind. I arrived on time at MCO and proceeded to Level 1 and DME.
Isn't this a pleasant sight?

Have any of you stayed in this hotel?

On my last trip I breezed through DME and right on the bus without a pause. This trip, the same thing! I got a front row seat to take a picture of the WDW entrance and waited 15 minutes for the rest to load and off we went. Our bus driver never exceeded 45MPH all the way to PoP Century. Come on! We're on Disney time and the Magic Kingdom is calling. I thought I saw several ECVs pass us at one point. He even slowed down to catch red lights adding to the agony.
And now, the long-awaited WDW entrance sign!!

I guess the love bugs are here.
After a stop at Caribbean Beach, we reach hallowed ground POP CENTURY! Check in is a breeze and I am off to building 6, room 6101, ground floor.
How about a picture of my room.

I change into shorts and went to Everything POP for something to eat.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken hits the spot, and I grab the cameras, and head for the MK.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Solo Trip

AHH... The Magic Kingdom. I chose this park as it stays open until 1:00 AM and I am determined to close this park.

Is there a better sight then the first view of the castle?

I stroll, yes stroll, down Main Street and turn right to Tomorrow Land and get a Fastpass for Space mountain. I don't need to wait 50 minutes.

I pass the Fantasy Land construction and head for the Haunted Mansion.
Can this time be right?

The new interactive queue is very entertaining and I would like to spend more time here, but HM is a walk-on.

There is a breeze and the temperature is ideal, far from what I expected.
It's now time to stake out a spot for the Electrical Parade and I want to try Liberty Square at the corner facing the Parade. I chat with the people around me. I hope being a single man does'nt make other parents nervous, so I talk to the adults unless a child initiates the conversation.

I video the parade, planning to take photos another time. It is a good parade, but Spectro was better (In MHO). Time to use the FP for SM. As I come out of SM, Wishes is bursting overhead and I watch it from the Speedway.

I never get tired of this show. As I head for the hub The Laugh Floor is starting and I walk right in. The audience interaction is the best in this attraction and yes we fully charged the battery. It is time for a Dole Whip Float so off to Adventure Land. My favorite snack! I again watch the Electrical Parade from the Hub and there are few people watching it. I can walk from one side of the Hub to the other taking pictures.

The crowds are thinning out and I take more photos just wandering around the Park. I want to close the Park, but fatigue is setting in and at midnight I gravitate towards the bus back to Pop. I download today's media, 740 photos and videos and go to bed at 12:45.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I love spending time alone at WDW but get lonely after 3-4 days. Sounds like you are making the most of your first day

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Solo Trip

heaven2dc -I try to make the most of every day that I am in the World. While I do not get lonely, I am ready to come home. Usually the last night has me thinking about tomorrow's departure.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Fairy Godnana
Earning My Ears

I seem drawn to solo TR's !! I guess I need to start planning one for myself!!
Great first day. I visited Camdenton for the first time last July and we have another trip planned this July. It's a beautiful place and we're all looking foward to it !
Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Solo Trip

I wake up at my normal time,6:00 AM, and get ready for the day. I have not used an alarm clock for years, the result of a daily routine getting ready for school. Besides that I decided if I slept in, I must be needing the sleep.
EPCOT is the EMH park today, so that will be my destination. I had decided to skip breakfast on this trip and instead toast a Poptart in the foodcourt on my way to the bus. I also carry two granola bars with me. Well, the best laid plans and all that..... when I received my checked bag, it was demolished. One side was stove in 8" and all of the Poptarts I had placed in the inside zippered compartment were smashed into a pasty mess. I ate little pieces, but using the toaster was out.
As I walk to the bus stop I realize this is going to be a beautiful day. The temp is 70 degrees according to the thermometer on my camera bag. This is one of those days where the bus arrives as I get in line and I board immediately.

EPCOT has always been my favorite park with the technology and variety of attractions. I proceed through bag check and there are less then 100 people ahead of me in my line. I notice the time 7:52 and the park opens at 8:00, so the crowd is light at this time.

Promptly at 8:00 the turnstiles open and we all proceed towards Soarin'. I get a FP and then experience my favorite attraction in all of WDW.

We are directed to the right theater and I notice there is still grit and dirt in the movie. They look like UFOs during the flight. They were in the film in 2009 and I wonder why can't they use some compressed air to remove the grit. It is still a great attraction. Normally I would then head over to TT and M:S, but I haven't seen Captain EO since 1992 so this is next. The first part of the film shows how it was made. The film itself definitely shows the 1986 technology, but I am glad I saw it. While here I visit Figment in Imagination. Still a classic IMHO.

The Seas is next. I can see how the Nemo addition appeals to kids, but I liked the 270 degree view of the old attraction had. I now walk around checking out all of the topiaries as this is the Flower and Garden Festival and there is lots to see.

I would like to have these guys spend several days working on my yard. Lunch is at the Liberty Inn.

I had a bacon double cheeseburger here two trips ago and it was so I try another one. Alas, this one isn't as good as I remember. It's dry with little flavor.

I travel around the World until I reach Mexico and ride the El Rio del Tiempo.

It is now around 2:00 PM and I head back to PoP for a rest.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Disney_Jill
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you are off to a great start! I love your pictures. Looking forward to more.
I am a teacher too and I get up a 6 am naturally every day also. I imagine when I retire I'll be the same way.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Solo Trip

Disney_Jill: I retired after 31 years of teaching and enjoyed almost every year I was in the classroom. It is nice seeing former students wherever I go in this community, in fact the technology department of our school district has had six former students of mine employed there.
Retirement is great as I do whatever I want (If my wife will let me) and substitute teach 25-30 days a year. This pays for a trip to WDW and more.
What do you teach?
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 05-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
bzlady2
Earning My Ears

Love the photos!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 AM   #14
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Solo Trip

bzlady2 - Thank You. I am trying to become a better photographer and I am pleased with lots of my photos.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #15
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Great TR thus far..can't wait to read more! I am loving all the wonderful photos!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: