Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
TallandGoofy
Mouseketeer

Thor?

Does Thor make any appearances over at IOA?
TallandGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallandGoofy View Post
Does Thor make any appearances over at IOA?
No.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
La2kw
DIS Veteran

Location: 90 miles from the happiest place on earth, and the original Disney park- Disneyland.

Maybe he'll start showing up at Disney, since they own him now.
I've slept here: Disney Wonder, Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian, Paradise Pier Hotel, OKW, WL, WLV, AKV (Kidani and Jambo), BC, BCV, BWV, VBR, HHIR, Contemporary, SSR, POFQ, CBR, ASSports, ASMusic, ASMovies, Pop Century, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay Hotel

[/url]
La2kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
TallandGoofy
Mouseketeer

Darn! I didn't think so but my son and I just saw the movie over the weekend and really liked it. Thought it would be cool if we could actually see or meet him.

Oh well.

Yeah, I wonder if/when Disney will start doing more Marvel stuff. Really curious how that's going to go with IOA already having the whole Marvel Super Hero Island already.

I hear there IS Thor merchandise over at Norway in EPCOT so we can look at that when we are there.
TallandGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

Quote:
Darn! I didn't think so but my son and I just saw the movie over the weekend and really liked it. Thought it would be cool if we could actually see or meet him.

Oh well.

Yeah, I wonder if/when Disney will start doing more Marvel stuff. Really curious how that's going to go with IOA already having the whole Marvel Super Hero Island already.

I hear there IS Thor merchandise over at Norway in EPCOT so we can look at that when we are there.
Yea Universal only has it under contract to use the x-men,spiderman,the hulk,captain america,doctor doom and fantastic four and thats it unless I am missing one
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Thor is one of the Marvel characters Disney can use at WDW since Universal does not have that character on the current contract. Any of the characters you see at IOA can not be used at WDW as long as Universal has the contract with Marvel is in force.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Thor is one of the Marvel characters Disney can use at WDW since Universal does not have that character on the current contract. Any of the characters you see at IOA can not be used at WDW as long as Universal has the contract with Marvel is in force.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
I'm not sure this is entirely clear legally. Thor IS used for part of the decoration around IoA.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I'm not sure this is entirely clear legally. Thor IS used for part of the decoration around IoA.
Well...I'm not going to get into a legal battle over my statement. I'm just remembering what I read when all the information was released after the Disney/Marvel announcement was made. I seem to remember Thor's mug somewhere over at IOA but I doubt Universal would argue with them about it. I mean...he's mentioned no where else unless I've missed something.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

I would imagine there is a list of characters that Universal has licensed. It will be clear to them what can be used and not used. I had read that as long as the characters were used in some shape or form at Universal, then they could not be used by anyone else east of the Mississippi, or something like that. And that contract was to last until Universal broke it off.

Here is some info I found:

Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke has the list of characters specifically licensed for Universal's theme parks:

For starters, here's the main list of licensed characters at Marvel Island inside Universal Orlando's Islands Of Adventure (provided me by Universal): Spider-Man (also attraction), Dr. Doom (also attraction), Hulk (also attraction), Storm (also attraction), Captain America, Cyclops, Green Goblin, Rogue, Storm, Wolverine, "and lots more if you include stores and dining," a Uni exec tells me.
Paramount tells me Iron Man and Thor also are included.

According to other sources, here are the characters by Attractions, Walk Around, and Shop:

Attractions (Characters licensed for the attraction use, but not necessarily for walk-around. Some in the attractions list are also licensed for walk-around, but not all.): Spider-Man, Doc Oc, Scream, Electro, Hydro-Man, Hobgoblin, J. Jonah Jameson, Hulk/Bruce Banner, Dr. Doom, Fantastic Four (as a group, not individually), Storm, Magneto, Professor X.

Walk around and/or Shop: Green Goblin, Cyclops, Rogue, Wolverine, Fantastic 4 (restaurant / walk around), Captain America (restaurant / walk around), Kingpin (shop / walk around), Merch (shop)
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Well...I'm not going to get into a legal battle over my statement. I'm just remembering what I read when all the information was released after the Disney/Marvel announcement was made. I seem to remember Thor's mug somewhere over at IOA but I doubt Universal would argue with them about it. I mean...he's mentioned no where else unless I've missed something.
I know the contract is online somewhere, but too lazy to look it up. But I think it included all the characters depicted in cut-outs up along the buildings--which ties up Thor and Iron Man even tho they've never really been used. Or at least it could be argued it includes them, which may be incentive enough for Disney to avoid this can of worms for a simple meet & greet.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I know the contract is online somewhere, but too lazy to look it up. But I think it included all the characters depicted in cut-outs up along the buildings--which ties up Thor and Iron Man even tho they've never really been used. Or at least it could be argued it includes them, which may be incentive enough for Disney to avoid this can of worms for a simple meet & greet.
True enough. Disney might just want to let it ride...unless they are/were planning on something Iron Man related.

You know what I'm a little surprised about? With LegoLand opening right down the road from DTD, I'm surprised they are apparently going to leave the store at DTD open. I would think LegoLand would want those people to come down the road and buy there...not at Disney.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
ariellover3
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Is there really??!!! *beeline for Norway Epcot*. This just made my day. There's not enough of Thor out there
ariellover3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: