Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
disfreak2
Earning My Ears

Which to pick?

We are being joined on our 2012 trip by my sister and her 3 teenagers. She is a single parent who works too hard and this may be their one and only WDW trip. We have decided on a mod because of queen beds and our wish to relax at the resort a little. I want them to have that feeling of being in a completely different setting (as different as central Illinois as possible). We are going to do the dining plan and will probably eat lunch in the parks so resort food courts are not much of a factor in our decision. I usually stay at CS and love it. I think they like the idea of the quiet pools at the mods but Riverside seems so large and from photos it just does not seem as lush and tropical as some of the others. I would love to hear some opinions. I would also love to try something new. I like the size of POFQ but wish they had just one quiet pool. Maybe we should go back to CS or do POFQ and use the POR quiet pools? I appreciate and respect everyone's opinions.
disfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
rs505
Mouseketeer

Having stayed at POFQ just once, you can take my opinions with a grain of salt. However, the whole family loved POFQ (and DW is a reluctant participant). It is small, peaceful and different. I found the pool to be great. Sure there were kids, but we didn't find it too crowded to enjoy. I would wholly recommend POFQ. It really made me believe I was in New Orleans. Plus the boat ride to and from DTD was a great change of pace.
rs505 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Just be aware that as of right now, not all of the mods have queen size beds. CSR and POFQ have them. POR is going to be getting them soon. CBR does not have them, and won't probably until after they're done at POR. Don't know what the size of the beds are at FW Cabins. So that might help narrow things down a bit.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Well CSR has queen beds and quiet pools, so you might want to stick with that resort. As far as lushness though, POR has a lot more landscaping than CSR, but the landscaping at CSR is more controlled and less "wild" IMO.

So I'd stick with CSR if you think your sister would like it there.

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
Well CSR has queen beds and quiet pools, so you might want to stick with that resort. As far as lushness though, POR has a lot more landscaping than CSR, but the landscaping at CSR is more controlled and less "wild" IMO.

So I'd stick with CSR if you think your sister would like it there.
Agreed.

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #6
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I haven't stayed at PO Riverside, but I've stayed at PO French Quarter.

I would go with Riverside. It's a new resort for you so that's always fun It will have queen beds and quiet pools (you won't have the quiet pools at CSR and no queen beds at CBR). Also, it's a great location (you can take the boat to downtown disney). You would be closer to Boatrights, which is probably the best table service restaurant at the mods that have one. I can't imagine PO Riverside is that much larger than CSR...if that's a huge concern, you could pay for a preferred room. Plus, PO Riverside is being refurbished.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
I haven't stayed at PO Riverside, but I've stayed at PO French Quarter.

I would go with Riverside. It's a new resort for you so that's always fun It will have queen beds and quiet pools (you won't have the quiet pools at CSR and no queen beds at CBR). Also, it's a great location (you can take the boat to downtown disney). You would be closer to Boatrights, which is probably the best table service restaurant at the mods that have one. I can't imagine PO Riverside is that much larger than CSR...if that's a huge concern, you could pay for a preferred room. Plus, PO Riverside is being refurbished.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but CSR does have quiet pools
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
ettercap11
Earning My Ears

yes it does, and it has by far the best dining of any of the mod resorts. The main pool is a blast and is open to midnight (much later than most resorts) I am guessing because of the convention center it hosts. CSR is my favorite mod. They redid the rooms recently and I think they look great!
ettercap11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfreak2 View Post
We are being joined on our 2012 trip by my sister and her 3 teenagers. She is a single parent who works too hard and this may be their one and only WDW trip. We have decided on a mod because of queen beds and our wish to relax at the resort a little. I want them to have that feeling of being in a completely different setting (as different as central Illinois as possible). We are going to do the dining plan and will probably eat lunch in the parks so resort food courts are not much of a factor in our decision. I usually stay at CS and love it. I think they like the idea of the quiet pools at the mods but Riverside seems so large and from photos it just does not seem as lush and tropical as some of the others. I would love to hear some opinions. I would also love to try something new. I like the size of POFQ but wish they had just one quiet pool. Maybe we should go back to CS or do POFQ and use the POR quiet pools? I appreciate and respect everyone's opinions.

POR Riverside is our fav moderate. IMO, I think it has just a little more to offer, with Boat to DTD, Evening entertainment in the lounge, Horse & Carriage rides. The landscapping is beautiful. We prefer the mansion section.

Love the quiet pools. As mentioned, in June they are starting renos, Mansion section Acadian Pl being first on the list.

POFQ doesn't have quiet pools, and I doubt you'd bother the walk over to POR quiet pools. It's not that far, but far enough not to want to bother just for a swim. Dunno. Maybe you would
My daughters are older too, and we use the quiet pools quite a bit. Nice for a quick dip after the parks.

We usually eat lunch in the parks too, but once or twice will come back for lunch at POR because we love the make your own pasta bar. We go to parks at opening in summer, and after lunch return for a mid day break. But as i say, sometimes we wait to have lunch back at resort. It's so yummy.

Don't know when in 2012 you plan on but some of the buildings will be finished by then with queen beds.

Have fun planning!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #10
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but CSR does have quiet pools
No you're right, my mistake. I meant POFQ has no quiet pools.

Been a looong day.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Mom2HandR
Mouseketeer

I have to say I think the pool at POFQ is geared to little kids, and if she has teens they would be disappointed. My 10 year old found the pool too young for her.
Mom2HandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
noahandallison
Mouseketeer

If the rooms will be upgraded to queen beds in time for your trip at POR, then I'd vote for that resort. If not, then CS. It doesn't sound like POFQ or CB meet your needs.
noahandallison is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: