Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Hilton for FREE? Or pay to be closer?

The four sisters in our family are going to WDW in May. We have reservations at a deluxe right now (Poly), but have been offered 2 rooms, for 6 nights, for FREE at the Hilton. I'm happy to be saving the money, BUT...I don't think I'll feel the magic if I'm at the Hilton...I love staying at the "real" onsite properties.

Am I wrong? Or spoiled?

Bummed. Please offer advice. We have to decide within 48 hours.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
WDWisTheBest
This is better than plan one
I hope the clean up efforts are swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisann View Post
The four sisters in our family are going to WDW in May. We have reservations at a deluxe right now (Poly), but have been offered 2 rooms, for 6 nights, for FREE at the Hilton. I'm happy to be saving the money, BUT...I don't think I'll feel the magic if I'm at the Hilton...I love staying at the "real" onsite properties.
Am I wrong? Or spoiled? Bummed. Please offer advice. We have to decide within 48 hours.
It is great to read that you have a chance to get four sisters together at WDW in May. Enjoy your visit.

There is no right or wrong in this decision. It is just a choice.
WDWisTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton? Any insight?

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
WDWisTheBest
This is better than plan one
I hope the clean up efforts are swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisann View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Hilton? Any insight?
Which Hilton, please?
WDWisTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWisTheBest View Post
It is great to read that you have a chance to get four sisters together at WDW in May. Enjoy your visit.

There is no right or wrong in this decision. It is just a choice.
I so agree, we are thrilled to all be getting together (we are all in our 40s, 50s). Doesn't happen often.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
momtoejanda
DIS Veteran

I have that decision everytime we go to WDW. I have a lot of Hilton points and can go for "free". I always pick staying on property because of the dining plan and Magical Express and better transportation to and from the parks.

I really think it comes down to your financial situation. No decision is bad, you are still at Disney.
momtoejanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWisTheBest View Post
Which Hilton, please?
The preferred hotel, across from Downtown Disney.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

I'd probably use the money saved toward upgraded meals, tours, Cirque, recreational activities, spa services etc.

I don't know your finances. Some posters seem to have an unlimited budget. You have enough money to stay at the POLY and do everything you could possibly want to do? Then stay at the POLY.

Could/would you be able to use your free nights at a different Hilton, maybe driving distance from your home, and take an additional vacation?
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
mrmdisneyfl
Mouseketeer

The Hilton in DTD is nice. The ability to have 2 people per room seems nice, but I would miss the Disney Feeling and not being able to see the fireworks on the beach of the Polcy.

If it were me and I was not in need of the extra cash, I would stay with my sisters at the Poly 1 room.

Good luck on making your decision and have a super trip!!!!!!!!
mrmdisneyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I'd probably use the money saved toward upgraded meals, tours, Cirque, recreational activities, spa services etc.

I don't know your finances. Some posters seem to have an unlimited budget. You have enough money to stay at the POLY and do everything you could possibly want to do? Then stay at the POLY.
Money's a little tight this year, but we go to WDW just as much for the resort as we do for the parks, in fact, probably more so. The Hilton looks beautiful on the website, but I feel like it changes the whole dynamic of the trip.

AGH!!!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
amybethchristiansen
Mouseketeer

Hilton for free. That is LOADS of money to save!
amybethchristiansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
momtoejanda
DIS Veteran

Can you extend the trip? If you use the free nights then move over to an on property hotel for a couple nights (for the magic feel). Addding days on to the park tickets are relatively inexpensive....
momtoejanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Disneylover2470
Earning My Ears

I would do the Poly for sure, of course I have always wanted to stay there. You could always stay at the Poly for a few days and the a few days at the Hilton. I just would definitely do the Poly last, save the best for last
Disneylover2470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
plutolovr
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at the Hilton a few times for the same reason, free rooms. The hotel is very nice and rooms are fresh and clean. You get EMH staying at the Hilton which is a plus. To be honest, and this coming from someone who loves staying onsite, I would stay at the Hilton and save the extra money for some nice dining and activities.

Not sure how you got the free rooms, but when we do my husband uses his Hilton Honors points and he's Diamond with them. When we stay at the DTD Hilton we get access to the Executive Club floor which includes access to the Executive Club and we get continental breakfast each morning and appetizers and drinks in the evening.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutolovr View Post
We've stayed at the Hilton a few times for the same reason, free rooms. The hotel is very nice and rooms are fresh and clean. You get EMH staying at the Hilton which is a plus. To be honest, and this coming from someone who loves staying onsite, I would stay at the Hilton and save the extra money for some nice dining and activities.

Not sure how you got the free rooms, but when we do my husband uses his Hilton Honors points and he's Diamond with them. When we stay at the DTD Hilton we get access to the Executive Club floor which includes access to the Executive Club and we get continental breakfast each morning and appetizers and drinks in the evening.
I agree -- the Hilton is a very nice property and although it is slightly different than staying onsite - it has its advantages. I would definitely choose the Hilton. You can still go over to the Poly one night for the fireworks.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: