Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #1156
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Mary Ellen - First - I was really behind! I might have missed something, but I still LOVE this TR!

I looked at that same 100 pt AKL contract too! Just didn't have the budget! I think we will add to our tiny AKL contract in the next couple years.

great review of Jiko! I really want to try it someday. Maybe without the kids... Your meals looked delish!!

Earthquake - I had a friend from Philadelphia telling me she felt it too. My SIL lives in southern VA and they had it. They are about 2 hours from the epicenter. Now they get to wait for the hurricane to hit them!!

I hope you're okay in Williamsburg this weekend Mary Ellen!! I love that area. That's near my SIL and we always go exploring - Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown...Lots of cool stuff to see and do there. What are you going for?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #1157
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wowsa folks! I felt that earthquake here on the East Coast. I felt like I was on an amusement park ride. I felt the building sort of rise up and my chair moved to the right. Crazy.

My cell phone won't send out text messages and I can't post on FB with my phone. I can't even call out cause all circuits are busy. Crazy Stuff!
I felt it too!! My chair was rocking back and forth...it was so weird! It's definitely crazy how far away from Virginia that was felt!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #1158
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I was terribly behind, but I'm finally caught up! I'm so glad you loved Jiko Mary Ellen!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #1159
MEK
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone!!!!!!!

If you saw my FB post you know that we got Brian all the way to Salisbury University (which is on the Eastern shore of Maryland 30 mins from Ocean city Maryland), only to find out that all orientation for this weekend has been canceled. Classes will start Wednesday (at the earliest) and the soonest Brian reports back is Monday.

The good news is we got the whole dorm room set up. I wish I had taken a picture, but we just got it done before his roommate arrived. The only thing he stills needs is a rug and a small table for the TV. Oh, and I am going to buy him a floor light, to put near the head of his bed, and a few extension cords.

His roommate seems very nice. I think he may be an only child. I could be wrong, but I just got this sense.

Brian picked up most of his books. There were a few I couldn't order until yesterday, so he still needs those. We went out to lunch and then came home. I am whooped.

As far as Williamsburg - at this point I don't see how we can go at all. Brian can probably get a ride back to school with a friend on Monday, but we are dead in the path of this hurricane. We are afraid to leave the house ( and leave Brian alone in it). I may have to take a total loss, but I am pleading with the owner to let me completely change the weekend.

So - I want to do an update AND I want to do replies, but I just feel really beat and really unfocused right now. Bear with me. I was up early the last two days to get everything packed and organized. I am officially whooped!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #1160
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Mary Ellen - First - I was really behind! I might have missed something, but I still LOVE this TR!
Hey Sheree - So glad you are still hanging in there!!!!!!! I have been pretty good about updating my links, so I hope that helps!

Quote:
I looked at that same 100 pt AKL contract too! Just didn't have the budget! I think we will add to our tiny AKL contract in the next couple years.
I hear ya on the $$$$$$! I wanted to do a cruise next summer, but didn't because we bought the new contract! Oh well - you gotta make choices - Right? I know that Denny and I will eventually do a couple's cruise and we will probably do a 4 days cruise on points one of these days.

Quote:
M
great review of Jiko! I really want to try it someday. Maybe without the kids... Your meals looked delish!!
Thank You! You really should try it! It's wonderful! We loved it! Date night - you need one, right?

Quote:
Earthquake - I had a friend from Philadelphia telling me she felt it too. My SIL lives in southern VA and they had it. They are about 2 hours from the epicenter. Now they get to wait for the hurricane to hit them!!
The earthquake was crazy. But the hurricane is what's really concerning me! We East Coast people are usually so isolated from this kind of stuff, but not this time!

Quote:

I hope you're okay in Williamsburg this weekend Mary Ellen!! I love that area. That's near my SIL and we always go exploring - Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown...Lots of cool stuff to see and do there. What are you going for?
I think we are going to have to scrap the trip and we may lose all the money. We are really more concerned about our house here in Delaware because we are very close to the Delaware Bay and we are right in the line of the storm. If we didn't have to worry about our house I think we would head to Richmond tomorrow and then move in to Williamsburg. But we really can't leave the house and we don't want to leave Brian now that school has been delayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I felt it too!! My chair was rocking back and forth...it was so weird! It's definitely crazy how far away from Virginia that was felt!
Really crazy! That was a strange experience, but I am honestly more worried about the hurricane, as I'm sure you are too because NYC is right in the path of the storm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
I was terribly behind, but I'm finally caught up! I'm so glad you loved Jiko Mary Ellen!
Hey Girl- Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you are caught up and Jiko was seriously wonderful!!!! You must try it!

You know - everytime I read your TR I am doing it without the pictures. It drives me crazy. I will definitely get caught up in unison!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #1161
celeste.
DIS Veteran

That's good that you got Brian's dorm all set up.
& Too bad about Williamsburg. & Stay safe from the hurricane!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #1162
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Sorry that Irene is horning in on your plans.

Hopefully the owner will be considerate of a NATURAL DISASTER and realize that it would probably be best for everyone if you stay put.

We are inland and may not even get rain from Irene but I hope you all stay safe.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #1163
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I was thinking about you guys with the college setup and the hurricane coming! It's great you got Brian's dorm all set! That stinks you had to turn right around though!

I hope you guys don't get hit too hard with the storm! We are definitely right in its path too, DBF went out and bought gallons of water, batteries, flashlights, I got candles...I'm slightly nervous, but I'm hoping everything will be alright! I now have a fear the stores will be sold out of bread and stuff...Targets here have apparently been entirely wiped out of any sort of provisions (water, food, candles, flashlights, batteries), but I'm sure we'll be able to get some things and be fine!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #1164
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

You've had a big few days! This hurricane is crazy; its supposed to hit us up here in CT pretty hard, too. I am praying that we're all OK. Sorry about Williamsburg. Hope you get to change it.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #1165
KatMark
DIS Veteran

MaryEllen, glad to hear that Brian's dorm room is all set up and he only needs a few other items. I am keeping ALL of you in my thoughts and prayers with the hurricane, and I hope you can change your weekend for your trip.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #1166
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

MEK I'm glad you got the dorm room set up, but so sorry about your trip this weekend.

Having had some hurricane experience I just wanted to throw another suggestion out there. After Katrina we got real crowded her in Baton Rouge with all the extra people. Stock up on all the regular stuff but I'm also gong to suggest you get extra toliet paper. Once the stores started opening back up that was one of those things that ended up being hard to come by.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 08-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #1167
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeste. View Post
That's good that you got Brian's dorm all set up.
& Too bad about Williamsburg. & Stay safe from the hurricane!
Happy about the dorm!

Sad about Williamsburg.

I hope you and your family also stay safe from the hurricane since I guess you will be feeling the brunt of it as much as I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Sorry that Irene is horning in on your plans.

Hopefully the owner will be considerate of a NATURAL DISASTER and realize that it would probably be best for everyone if you stay put.

The owner keeps trying to get me to leave early or wait out the storm in an inland Virginia location. It's a tropical storm advisory there. The problem is our house here. Unless we are forced to evacuate we don't feel comfortable leaving the house unattended without electricity and possible damage. I think we are going to have to lose the $ which stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post

We are inland and may not even get rain from Irene but I hope you all stay safe.
Really? No rain! Nice! and Thank you!

Quote:
I was thinking about you guys with the college setup and the hurricane coming! It's great you got Brian's dorm all set! That stinks you had to turn right around though!
Yeah - it was a bummer. He was actually getting quite nervous on the ride there, so I think he was happy to come back home. He was also happy to get the room setup and meet his room mate.

Quote:
I hope you guys don't get hit too hard with the storm! We are definitely right in its path too, DBF went out and bought gallons of water, batteries, flashlights, I got candles...I'm slightly nervous, but I'm hoping everything will be alright! I now have a fear the stores will be sold out of bread and stuff...Targets here have apparently been entirely wiped out of any sort of provisions (water, food, candles, flashlights, batteries), but I'm sure we'll be able to get some things and be fine!
Walmart did not have one loaf of white bread. Unbelievable. Worst part - I did not realize we were almost out of cat food this this morning. Denny has been feeding them this week (its whose ever up first) and never said a word. GREAT! Looks like I'll be standing in more lines today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
You've had a big few days! This hurricane is crazy; its supposed to hit us up here in CT pretty hard, too. I am praying that we're all OK. Sorry about Williamsburg. Hope you get to change it.
Yeah - I heard New England was going to get hit pretty hard, too. Hopefully it dies down some before its hits CT. I don't know though. Originally we had planned to go to New England for the weekend. I'm not sure which would be worse - Williamsburg or New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
MaryEllen, glad to hear that Brian's dorm room is all set up and he only needs a few other items. I am keeping ALL of you in my thoughts and prayers with the hurricane, and I hope you can change your weekend for your trip.
Thanks Kathy. Yeah - I knew there would be something I still needed after we got there. But - I didn't do too bad considering this was my first time setting up a dorm room.

As far as the weekend plans - the guy I rented from is giving me the run around and I really don't feel like challenging him or dealing with it. I will probably just end up taking a loss. The resort is staying open and they say they do not anticipate any adverse outcomes from the storm. It's really leaving here that's the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
MEK I'm glad you got the dorm room set up, but so sorry about your trip this weekend.
Thanks. The dorm room looks good. I like it. I wonder if they will end up moving the furniture all over the place. It will be interesting to see if they leave it alone or change it.

Quote:
Having had some hurricane experience I just wanted to throw another suggestion out there. After Katrina we got real crowded her in Baton Rouge with all the extra people. Stock up on all the regular stuff but I'm also gong to suggest you get extra toliet paper. Once the stores started opening back up that was one of those things that ended up being hard to come by.
That is a really good suggestion. I would never think of that, but its something that's so essential. I can't imagine living through Katrina. Wow - I'm sure you have some stories to tell.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #1168
chloe770
Isn't it just more fun to be surprised?
Without SpongeBob I would never get anything done

Quote:

I think I'll follow that suggestion too. Thanks.

MEK- Be safe this weekend. It looks like it's going to be a cat 2 when it hits us. That is a little unsettling to me. I would prefer the tropical storms we usually end up getting over a cat 2. Hope my house and my nerves) can take it.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #1169
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Hey Mary Ellen-

Bless your heart! I'm not sure I'd leave my house either, EVEN with maybe having to lose some $$, with the storm being there! And I know what it's like to be unfocused, so much that you can't write even replies. I'm in the middle of that with some heavy-ish stuff PLUS the normal extreme busy-ness of summer going on. Keep up posted, Dear!

Congrats on getting your son out there! I just sent mine BACK off today to Kentucky, and it does get easier. Hope he has a really wonderful experience despite no orientation.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #1170
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Hey ME-
Very happy to hear you got the room set up and everything, but I am so sorry about your change in plans- I hope everything works out, including rescheduling with the owner of the Williamsburg timeshare.

Good luck with the Hurricane- I don't want to leave my house this weekend, either! YIKES!! This is some crazy stuff, huh?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: