Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #511
MEK
DIS Veteran

Haha....Cynthia....did you and I just post replies at the exact same time! You know what they say about great minds!

OK - I must tear myself away from the DIS. Nick and I are going to Rehobeth beach tomorrow to spend the night. My brother and his kids will be there. That includes LJ who is now 11. We are also taking Nick's GF. They have been "dating" since the fall. They rarely see each other outside of school so I thought it would be nice to invite her. She seems nice enough. If she can put up with a beach-ful of little boys then she's alright in my book. I also did a Costco run and I am dropping off some food at Brian's senior week beach house. He told me they are out of food already. 14 boys.....Out of food.....shocking! He asked me to PLEASE take him out to dinner in Rehobeth. Sheesh - they have only been gone a little over 48 hours!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #512
MEK
DIS Veteran

Hey - has anyone seen Melissa or Christine lately????? I miss them!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #513
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
What did you think about Dilaudid? I prescribe it all the time because people love it, but I was always hesitant to take it myself and I never thought I would ever need it for anything. Here's my experience. I literally had a 8/10 headache that went completely away after the Dilaudid - within seconds. I did not feel the least bit sedated or high. I just went from having a ton of pain to being completely pain free. It was like magic. No wonder people love it. It must block every pain receptor in the body.
The Dilaudid definitely took the pain away, but I actually stopped taking it very quickly after I got home. I felt entirely not like myself while on it, and I really really disliked it actually. I pretty much stuck with Tylenol and Advil after that (Aleve kept being suggested too, but it did absolutely nothing), which obviously wasn't as pain-free as the Dilaudid would have been, but I just couldn't take it anymore.

But I'm glad that it works so well for you!!! I must be in the minority with my experience!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #514
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
The Dilaudid definitely took the pain away, but I actually stopped taking it very quickly after I got home. I felt entirely not like myself while on it, and I really really disliked it actually. I pretty much stuck with Tylenol and Advil after that (Aleve kept being suggested too, but it did absolutely nothing), which obviously wasn't as pain-free as the Dilaudid would have been, but I just couldn't take it anymore.

But I'm glad that it works so well for you!!! I must be in the minority with my experience!
No - I think your experience is really similar to most patients after open heart surgery. A lot of patients hate the way the narcotics make them feel. Others, who already take pain medicine chronically, love the stuff and can't get enough of it. I think being on the heart-lung machine and getting anesthesia and all the other physiologic changes that happen with heart surgery just really make people feel terrible. And the narcotics can add to that overall unwell feeling.

I don't even know if its so much the pain as it is the entire experience. It looks very intense. It brings new meaning to, "having the wind taken out of your sails". I think the younger you are, the worse you feel. That's just my observation from doing this kind of work for a long time. I could be wrong. Plus I think the pain and discomfort changes. Especially for women it can become a neuropathic pain where they can't stand the touch of anything over their incision and their chest burns for quite some time.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #515
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Haha....Cynthia....did you and I just post replies at the exact same time! You know what they say about great minds!
Ninja post!

Quote:
OK - I must tear myself away from the DIS. Nick and I are going to Rehobeth beach tomorrow to spend the night. My brother and his kids will be there. That includes LJ who is now 11. We are also taking Nick's GF. They have been "dating" since the fall. They rarely see each other outside of school so I thought it would be nice to invite her. She seems nice enough. If she can put up with a beach-ful of little boys then she's alright in my book. I also did a Costco run and I am dropping off some food at Brian's senior week beach house. He told me they are out of food already. 14 boys.....Out of food.....shocking! He asked me to PLEASE take him out to dinner in Rehobeth. Sheesh - they have only been gone a little over 48 hours!
Have fun at the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Hey - has anyone seen Melissa or Christine lately????? I miss them!
Melissa is MIA! AACK! I have "seen" Christine but not Melissa, must be busy, quiet on FB too.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #516
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

Have fun at the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. We Did!

Notice Pennsylvania and Jersey people that we call it THE BEACH, NOT THE SHORE! Technically you are going to sit your rump on THE BEACH! I actually had a little trouble switching over when I moved from PA to DE, but I can know see the error of my past ways.

Anyway - here's a few iphone pix from Rehobeth Beach!

Never leave home without a reminder of where you REALLY rather be:

Can I touch your towel?(Oh wait, we haven't gotten to that part of the story yet)

Does anyone remember LJ from my 09 Trip Report? Still cute and polite and smart as ever!

LJ's little bro:

Random beach people

Castles in the Sand

No trip to THE BEACH is complete without a trip to Funland (serving Rehobeth for 30 plus years)

I did NOT go on this ride!

But We all took a nighttime whirl on the paratrooper

No trip to Funland is complete without a ride through the ever popular haunted house:

Not bad, actually!

Wilmington Ave, where my bro stayed and where I should have stayed because parking was a drag! See those meters? Need I say more!

I took "real" pictures, too. But they are not uploaded yet.

Back soon with an update - "Oh, My aching head".

Old 06-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #517
sunny_stace
DIS Veteran

Ooooh MEK the beach looks so lovely....I wish I were there....how nice! Where is it exactly? The rides look like so much fun! I think I might have to go to Grand Bend or Port Stanley this weekend now.....are there little boutique shops and that at Rehobeth? That could prove to be an interesting road trip destination some day! I'm excited to see more of your pictures!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #518
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No - I think your experience is really similar to most patients after open heart surgery. A lot of patients hate the way the narcotics make them feel. Others, who already take pain medicine chronically, love the stuff and can't get enough of it. I think being on the heart-lung machine and getting anesthesia and all the other physiologic changes that happen with heart surgery just really make people feel terrible. And the narcotics can add to that overall unwell feeling.

I don't even know if its so much the pain as it is the entire experience. It looks very intense. It brings new meaning to, "having the wind taken out of your sails". I think the younger you are, the worse you feel. That's just my observation from doing this kind of work for a long time. I could be wrong. Plus I think the pain and discomfort changes. Especially for women it can become a neuropathic pain where they can't stand the touch of anything over their incision and their chest burns for quite some time.
You definitely described it well, the surgery is just so many things at once! Also in my case, I was very very symptomatic before the surgery (to the point that I could barely have conversations anymore, I'd be totally out of breath and exhausted), so that was my starting point for recovery! Nowhere to go but up!

I was told that too, the younger you are, the more difficult the recovery is. I think it has to do with nerve sensitivity or something? I definitely still have some weird sensations to the touch around my chest area. Slowly but surely was the mantra of my recovery, to be sure!

On the not-cardiac related end of things, your shore trip looks like it was a great time! (Yes, I call it the shore! )
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #519
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_stace View Post
Ooooh MEK the beach looks so lovely....I wish I were there....how nice! Where is it exactly? The rides look like so much fun! I think I might have to go to Grand Bend or Port Stanley this weekend now.....are there little boutique shops and that at Rehobeth? That could prove to be an interesting road trip destination some day! I'm excited to see more of your pictures!
Rehobeth is on the Delaware coast. It is across the Delaware bay so you actually have to take a ferry to get from the New Jersey "shore" resorts to the Delaware beaches. It is north of Ocean City Md which is north of Assateague Island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehoboth_Beach,_Delaware

It attracts vacationers from Delaware, Md, and Washington DC. It is a big DC vacation destination.

There are all types of shops there - yes. There is a lively bar and restaurant scene. There is also a very active gay community. It's really a location for everyone and people mix well there. It's a little over an hour from my house. It gets crazy crowded in the summer time, but fall is a spectacular time to visit. There are all types of special events - jazz festival, film festival.

I'll be curious to see how my pix turned out because there is the first time I've ever taken pix down there.

Quote:
You definitely described it well, the surgery is just so many things at once! Also in my case, I was very very symptomatic before the surgery (to the point that I could barely have conversations anymore, I'd be totally out of breath and exhausted), so that was my starting point for recovery! Nowhere to go but up!
Wow. Interesting. I know a lot of my patients who have mitral valve repair are minimally symptomatic but their ventricle has already started to dilate so they have no choice. The surgery must have been almost a relief for you, because at least you knew the future meant less symptoms.

Quote:
Y

I was told that too, the younger you are, the more difficult the recovery is. I think it has to do with nerve sensitivity or something? I definitely still have some weird sensations to the touch around my chest area. Slowly but surely was the mantra of my recovery, to be sure!
I bet. I tell you - the patients who can have this surgery through a right chest incision really have it made. My surgeon does that type of repair. It's technically more challenging, but I think the smaller incisions definitely help with recovery. Unfortunately, not every patient is a candidate for the minimally invasive approach.

Quote:
On the not-cardiac related end of things, your shore trip looks like it was a great time! (Yes, I call it the shore! )
Nah Nah Nah Nah - I'm not listening! We did have a great time. I think I am gonna talk Denny into an overnighter down there in September. It was really fun!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #520
chloe770
Isn't it just more fun to be surprised?
Without SpongeBob I would never get anything done

Did they add sand to Rehoboth? It doesn't look as rocky as it has been. We usually skip Rehoboth and go to tower Beach or Fenwick because of the crowds and sand. I am thinking of taking the kiddos to the boardwalk sat tho. I have a ton of ride tickets for Funland. Enough for at least 3 trips.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #521
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great beach pics, MaryEllen. And so glad you took "Mickey" wth you.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #522
MEK
DIS Veteran

Oh My Aching Head

In my last update the ladies and I had just finished our first dinner together at Raglan Rd. We had a lovely meal and I was so excited that we were finally all together. WOOT! as Jen would say.

I left off at 1am when a nasty headache woke me up and kept me awake. I couldn't understand why my head hurt so bad when I had already taken 3 Motrin. I laid in bed, wide awake, wondering how I could get to the ED for a quick dose of Dilaudid. I knew that was in the realm of possibilities, but logistically it would mean no sleep. Plus, how would I tell Cynthia. There was no way I was going to wake her up. And a trip to the Emergency Room would ultimately result in a Cat Scan of the Head. You can't really walk into an ED, ask for narcotics for a head ached, and not get a Cat Scan. At least not in America.

So I made a deal with myself. I said if I wasn't feeling any better in a couple hours, I would go. I would just call and get a ride and I would deal with the lack of sleep later. I felt pretty anxious, but I just forced myself to be calm. And....then.....miraculously - I fell asleep. And when I looked at the clock again it was 6am. At this point I knew what I needed to do. I had to get up and fix some caffeine, I mean coffee. Fortunately, my skill at filling the premade coffee filters was improving, and I managed not to make a pot full of grinds.

As I sat there sipping my coffee, Cynthia woke up. I told her what had happened and that I really wasn't in any shape to rush out the door. She completely understood and was super supportive. So, Cynthia is officially the ....BEST ......ROOMMATE.....EVER! As the caffeine started to sink in, I started to feel immensely better. Just knowing that Cynthia did not think I was a hysterical hypochondriac made me feel a million times better. We talked - for a long time - about all sorts of things and a lot of things that will never leave that room. So thank you Cynthia for making a dark moment a lot brighter.

After we were sufficiently caffeinated and buffed and puffed, we rolled our luggage out the door and in the direction of the main lobby. We had a coffee in one hand, a camera in a second hand, and I have no idea how we were managing all our crap. It didn't matter. We were enjoying the slowness of the morning and the ability to take more pictures of this beautiful resort. After leaving POR we were checking into the Beach Club Villas for the last four nights of our trip!

[

Cynthia's Stuff:

Our first stop was on the bridge. Our next stop was near the pool.

I am a sucker for any "fossil" in the concrete sidewalk

I enjoyed taking pictures through the trees.

And then without the trees

When we reached the front of the main building I was able to grab only a couple pictures before our cab arrived.

I forgot that Melissa had called or texted us shortly after we left the room. I explained that we were moving very slow and I advised her not to wait. Our plan today with MK with lunch at the Plaza.

I don't have any pictures of our arrival to the BC. All I can say is that the CMs there were the absolute nicest CMs I have met anywhere. They could not have been more gracious and helpful. Before I knew it we were escorted directly to the main check-in desk. Naturally, our villa wasn't ready, but we were told we'd receive a text when it was.

After check-in we were escorted to bell services who took care of storing our luggage. Everything was quick and painless.

I have a feeling it must have been 10:30 or later now. I felt bad because I had really held up Cynthia. We went outside and over to pool drink dispenser for a quick drink. Then we headed over to Christine's private entrance. The plan - Soarin FPs and then MK. Only, the further we walked, the more I knew I was not in the right shape to head over to MK. I felt weak and a little dizzy and definitely not 100%. I told Cynthia to go on without me. I planned to stay at Epcot until our villa was ready.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel like doing too much. But I forced myself to take a few pix.

I stopped at sunshine seasons and got a pastry (no - I did not get strawberry shortcake). I people watched for awhile and I remembered when I sat here on one of my previous trips watching a poor woman in tears while the rest of her family went off to do a ride. Now, I felt like the woman who was going to burst into tears. I was frustrated and I just couldn't make myself feel the way I wanted to.

I didn't feel much better after eating, but I got up and went outside. I had a Soarin FP, but I doubted I would be in Epcot long enough to use it. I thought about going to see Captain EO, but I knew loud noises was not what the doctor ordered.

Continued......

Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #523
MEK
DIS Veteran

I found this cute little alcove which I have never noticed before. I got the impression they may have been using the area for some smaller dance shows.

My next stop was the butterfly house. I wanted to go in this last year, but never got around to it.

Butterfly homes:

One word about the butterfly house - HOT! I can only imagine what it's like on a 90 degree day. OUCH!

Let's just say that I did not stay in the butterfly house all that long. In fact, when I got out I found the closet building with AC. I pulled open the door to the building across from Innoventions and here's what I saw on the wall.

A Time Line Depicting all the Major Epcot Milestones.

I would say that of all the billions of people who have visited Epcot, very few have stumbled on this cool little time line.

Once I was sufficiently cooled after my near suffocation in the Butterfly House, I set back towards the direction of the World Showcase. I was really not in the mood to do any rides. I just wanted to use my down time to take some more pictures.

Don't even try coaxing me back into that butterfly house, because I'm NOT going!

Horrible Eeyore pix (and he's my favorite)

Up Next: Relaxing In Canada, A Villa with a View, and Rum Therapy!

p.s. I am going to recruit the ladies to write about their adventures in the MK, so hopefully THAT will be the next update!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #524
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe770 View Post
Did they add sand to Rehoboth? It doesn't look as rocky as it has been. We usually skip Rehoboth and go to tower Beach or Fenwick because of the crowds and sand. I am thinking of taking the kiddos to the boardwalk sat tho. I have a ton of ride tickets for Funland. Enough for at least 3 trips.
The beach looked in Excellent shape so perhaps they did do a replenishment. I usually go to Tower Beach as well, but since my brother was staying in Rehobeth I had no choice. I actually really enjoyed hitting the beach there. It surprised me. But there is something to be said for being 3 minutes from Grotto's.
Thumbs up to the ride tickets. I sure as heck burned through a bunch of them the other night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great beach pics, MaryEllen. And so glad you took "Mickey" wth you.

Thanks Kathy. I'll upload this weekend and see what I got for "real". Oh - and I never leave home without some Disney Item. I have a feeling I'm not alone in that respect!

Last edited by MEK; 06-17-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #525
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I'm originally from northwestern PA, so I call it "the beach" too. This whole "down the shore" thing that people around here say, drives my wife crazy.

Sorry about your headache troubles. But I'm glad that you were able to deal with it without having to make a trip to the ER. I'm sure that would have been a major ordeal.

I'm glad you liked taking pictures of POR. I think it's a beautiful resort.

Hey, was the butterfly house hot?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: