Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #31
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
On the RCI's if you don't show up for the main dinner you don't have to tip the waiter, assistant waiter and the head waiter. Some passengers are known to try to save that tip money and eat at the many free places on the promenade. RCI does not take the tips off your credit card until you request they do it.
Is that really true? Does RCI add tips automatically and then you have to go adjust them? I hope that doesn't adversely affect service. If I were a waiter on RCI, I'd probably want to transfer to a ship with a higher tip.

Quote:
The entertainment is definitely different. DCL is the only ship that feaures live entertainment that is put on by Disney. If you like the Mickey Mouse stories than you would love the DCL shows. The shows do get old as many have been on the ships since the time DCL has been in the cruise business.The other cruise lines have professional dancers and singers in professionally choreographed shows. They are very good also.
On longer cruises, there are more than just Disney productions. They bring in comedians and other entertainers for the main shows. They will also show a current movie on some nights. Yes, it's often a Disney movie, but could be something like the movie "Flightplan" with Jodie Foster, etc. I don't know if they are showing Marvel films in the main theater, but I did notice them on the stateroom TV.

Also, do amateurs put on Disney productions?

Quote:
The bigger the ship the more there is to do on it. The is true for the RCI three big ships Oasis, Allure and the Freedom. The are definitely in a class by thmselves. They are the ships of the future.
Out of curiousity, why leave off ships like the Epic, Carnival Dream and the two new Disney ships. I didn't think you had sailed on the Oasis or Allure yet?

Quote:
Labade is really beautiful. It is hilly and has many hidden coves and places to go. It is the complete opposite of the DCL beach which is just flat, small and crowded.
Have you ever been to Serenity Bay? Very very uncrowded.

You are correct in that the family beach can get crowded around mid-day, but we thoroughly enjoy it. I wouldn't call it small though, especially with the addition they did last year.

Quote:
No matter what cruise line you go on you will have a great time. I have found that the people who criticize any cruise line are generally the people who shouldn't have gone on a cruise anyway, and probably should have stayed home and let the rest of the family have fun.
So comments that the Disney beach is "small or crowded" or that the ships are the "world's largest floating nurseries" or that the food is "theme park quality" or the entertainment is "Mickey Mouse" and not professional or that Disney is not a good choice for adults without kids are not criticisms?
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDisneyDad View Post
Is that really true? Does RCI add tips automatically and then you have to go adjust them? I hope that doesn't adversely affect service. If I were a waiter on RCI, I'd probably want to transfer to a ship with a higher tip.

On longer cruises, there are more than just Disney productions. They bring in comedians and other entertainers for the main shows. They will also show a current movie on some nights. Yes, it's often a Disney movie, but could be something like the movie "Flightplan" with Jodie Foster, etc. I don't know if they are showing Marvel films in the main theater, but I did notice them on the stateroom TV.

Also, do amateurs put on Disney productions?

Out of curiousity, why leave off ships like the Epic, Carnival Dream and the two new Disney ships. I didn't think you had sailed on the Oasis or Allure yet?

Have you ever been to Serenity Bay? Very very uncrowded.

You are correct in that the family beach can get crowded around mid-day, but we thoroughly enjoy it. I wouldn't call it small though, especially with the addition they did last year.

So comments that the Disney beach is "small or crowded" or that the ships are the "world's largest floating nurseries" or that the food is "theme park quality" or the entertainment is "Mickey Mouse" and not professional or that Disney is not a good choice for adults without kids are not criticisms?
great post
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #33
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2brooke76 View Post
Why did everyone ignore JillJill's request (post #2) to please search the site/look back through the threads for threads exactly like this one where these questions have already been answered? I think that we should respect the moderators and their requests
I did not read it as a directive to respondents not to share their views and experiences I just thought it was helpful advice to the OP to let them know there was a lot of information available to them beyond what might get posted here and they could search for it.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #34
I-Bike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2brooke76 View Post
Why did everyone ignore JillJill's request (post #2) to please search the site/look back through the threads for threads exactly like this one where these questions have already been answered? I think that we should respect the moderators and their requests
This is a discussion board correct? I didn't see anyone getting out of hand here. Matter of fact, I've learned quite a bit about both cruiselines.
I-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #35
TXDCLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
Thanks for the review, farfalla818. Those huge RCCL ships don't seem like they'd be my thing. I'm not interested in a floating shopping mall.

Our favorite cruise ever was 5 days on a schooner in Maine, so I'm probably not the typical large ship customer.
Same here we have been on 2 rccl ships that were like floating malls...no thanks give me the elegance of the Disney ships any day
Old 05-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #36
Edd

Mouseketeer

First off I said RCI does not add tips automatically. Carnival does. Their basic tip of about $12.00 per person per day is put on your account the minute you check into the ship. Not really sure how DCL does it, haven't sailed on them for a while, but I think they do the same as RCI. It doesn't affect the waiter because they are still working for tips and give you the best of service on all the cruise lines. It effects the cheaper passengers because they don't eat in the dining rooms and get the benefit of the great meals. It also happens on the DCL, passengers skip the dining rooms to avoid paying the tips.

I don't think I said the entertainment was amateurish. The kids in the shows, on the DCL, are well qualified dancers and singers, but their roles are limited by the Disney boundaries and limitations on their productions. I have personally known a few. That is why so many of the kids move on from Disney to find dancing and singing roles that challenge their abilities.

I think I am entitled to an opinion and that is my opinion. I am not criticizing the DCL, just offering my views from cruising on both the Disney ships. I have only toured the Disney Dream while she was in Port Canaaveral being previewed. I really can't base my comments on cruising the Disney Dream. I did have a great time on them, but have found great times on the other ships also.

In fact I do favor the agenda of the RCI's more than any of the others for some of the reasons I stated in the above posts.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #37
CruisingSarah
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to add a comment about tips on RCI as I think I read that one post said that RCI does not add tips automatically.

That is not our experience and we have done 5 RCI cruises. But that could just be for European bookings/itineraries.

Here in the UK you are encouraged to pre-pay your tips, you then receive coupons on the last night which you put in envelopes and pass to the servers etc.

If you do not pre-pay then the recommended tip amounts are automatically added to your SeaPass account 'for your convenience'

This may be particular to Europe based cruises or cruisers, I am not sure, due to the reputation for not tipping I guess.

If you want to pay cash (or not tip ) then you have to go to the desk and formally request that your tips are not automatically added to your account. We do this as we prefer to tip in hard cash as it is faster for the CMs than coupons.

Magic in the Med again! Aug 23rd 2014

Past:

Many great cruises on RCI

Fantasy 7 night Western Oct 26th 2013

Wonder in Alaska Aug 23rd 2011

Magic in the Med Aug 7th 2010
CruisingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #38
EdTreo
Mouseketeer

The CROWD.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
TXDCLfan

Quote:
First off I said RCI does not add tips automatically. Carnival does. Their basic tip of about $12.00 per person per day is put on your account the minute you check into the ship. Not really sure how DCL does it, haven't sailed on them for a while, but I think they do the same as RCI. It doesn't affect the waiter because they are still working for tips and give you the best of service on all the cruise lines. It effects the cheaper passengers because they don't eat in the dining rooms and get the benefit of the great meals. It also happens on the DCL, passengers skip the dining rooms to avoid paying the tips.

I don't think I said the entertainment was amateurish. The kids in the shows, on the DCL, are well qualified dancers and singers, but their roles are limited by the Disney boundaries and limitations on their productions. I have personally known a few. That is why so many of the kids move on from Disney to find dancing and singing roles that challenge their abilities.

I think I am entitled to an opinion and that is my opinion. I am not criticizing the DCL, just offering my views from cruising on both the Disney ships. I have only toured the Disney Dream while she was in Port Canaaveral being previewed. I really can't base my comments on cruising the Disney Dream. I did have a great time on them, but have found great times on the other ships also.

In fact I do favor the agenda of the RCI's more than any of the others for some of the reasons I stated in the above posts.

On the RCI's if you don't show up for the main dinner you don't have to tip the waiter, assistant waiter and the head waiter. Some passengers are known to try to save that tip money and eat at the many free places on the promenade. RCI does not take the tips off your credit card until you request they do it.

here is were you said that you have to request RCI to remove the tips
Old 05-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #40
Edd

Mouseketeer

Thank you, I corrected my mistake.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #41
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm glad there is this forum to express opinions about DCL - some enjoy DCL and others don't and that's fine.

However, you tend to give DCL a lot of backhanded compliments. I am not sure if this is intentional or not. These comments come across to me as criticism. That's fine as it's your opinion - I just wish you'd admit that you're criticizing DCL with your so-called "compliments". You don't seem to like it when others express unfavorable opinions about RCI - even calling some of them ridiculous or saying they shouldn't go on a cruise anyway.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #42
TXDCLfan

Quote:
I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm glad there is this forum to express opinions about DCL - some enjoy DCL and others don't and that's fine.

However, you tend to give DCL a lot of backhanded compliments. I am not sure if this is intentional or not. These comments come across to me as criticism. That's fine as it's your opinion - I just wish you'd admit that you're criticizing DCL with your so-called "compliments". You don't seem to like it when others express unfavorable opinions about RCI - even calling some of them ridiculous or saying they shouldn't go on a cruise anyway.

I think that most of us feel the same way
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #43
lovethedream
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I just think it's funny that anytime anybody mentions their dislike of RCCL food in the main dining hall and their choice to eat elsewhere we are suddenly treated to the "opinion" that most do it to simply skip out on paying the tips. Especially us poor inexperienced cruisers that simply do not know any better.

Funny part is, we probably paid more eating at Johnny rockets than we would have saved in not paying the "tips".
lovethedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #44
Edd

Mouseketeer

Maybe because you may be DCL biased they seem to be backhanded comments, but I have enjoyed DCL cruises also, but not as much as I have enjoyed other cruises which seem to me to offer more "bang for the buck" activities and itineraries. DCL doesn't mean to me as much as they may mean to someone else with kids. That is just the difference between the cruise lines.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #45
lovethedream
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post

here is were you said that you have to request RCI to remove the tips
At least on the RCCL Freedom, there is only one place to eat for free on the Promenade and that is the "pizza" place. I do not remember seeing "many" free places to eat otherwise, at least on the promenade. They had ice cream on the Promenade but you had to pay for that!
lovethedream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream cruise, rccl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: