Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
lovethedream
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyhugger View Post
We've done DCL, CCL and RCCL.

IMHO, Disney is the best as far as:

Palo (and they offer a brunch, which is not available on CCL and RCCL)

Customer service

Characters (even as adults, it adds so much to our enjoyment..who doesn't love Mickey?)

Castaway Cay (haven't been to RCCL's island, but have been to CCL's.)

Entertainment

Deck Parties (RCCL's were lame compared to DCL's)

Pirate night..worth the price difference..you'd have to see it to believe it.

Food..we thought it was MUCH better on DCL, our RCCL food in the MDR..I won't even go there..

To each his own though. We sailed RCCL twice, that was enough for us. Disney also offers 10% off to rebook, and a $200.00 room credit (or higher) per room, depending on your status.
lovethedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #17
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethedream View Post
Kinda how we felt when we were on the RCCL Freedom. And yes, two thumbs up for Johnny Rockets!
The only reason that my family did not starve to death
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #18
Edd

Mouseketeer

You have got a lot of good comments. Whether you like big ships or little ships. The ships are all fun and when you come back you will have gained 5 - 15 pounds. They really fix some great meals on all of the ships. There are a few comments that are just plain rediculous. The best thing to do is to read over those comments and give them little consideration.

On the RCI's if you don't show up for the main dinner you don't have to tip the waiter, assistant waiter and the head waiter. Some passengers are known to try to save that tip money and eat at the many free places on the promenade. RCI does not put tips on your credit card until you request they do it.

The entertainment is definitely different. DCL is the only ship that feaures live entertainment that is put on by Disney. If you like the Mickey Mouse stories than you would love the DCL shows. The shows do get old as many have been on the ships since the time DCL has been in the cruise business.The other cruise lines have professional dancers and singers in professionally choreographed shows. They are very good also.

The bigger the ship the more there is to do on it. The is true for the RCI three big ships Oasis, Allure and the Freedom. The are definitely in a class by thmselves. They are the ships of the future.

Labade is really beautiful. It is hilly and has many hidden coves and places to go. It is the complete opposite of the DCL beach which is just flat, small and crowded. The comments about the beggers is obviously exaggerated. They are there, but do not present themselves in ways that comments say they do. The people were polite and friendly. I spoke to a few of them and never offered a tip to any of them because my cash was on the ship. It is worse if you go into any town in any port city and face the locals.

I don't think DCL can compare with the parties I have seen on the promenade in the RCI ships. The DCL party is great and only because that is the only space DCL has for their parties. The bigger ships have other spaces for parties.

No matter what cruise line you go on you will have a great time. I have found that the people who criticize any cruise line are generally the people who shouldn't have gone on a cruise anyway, and probably should have stayed home and let the rest of the family have fun.

Last edited by Edd; 05-12-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #19
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I recently wrote up a comparison between the two lines after our first Royal Caribbean cruise last month. Here it is:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2712985

For what it is worth, all of us greatly preferred Disney and our fourteen year old daughter is by far the one most strongly in the "Disney is better" camp (and she couldn't care less about characters and loves to climb, ice skate and roller blade).

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #20
scottishwee35
DIS Veteran

Okay...

After we had been on Wonder/Magic Disney cruise for 4th times...

We went to Freedom of the seas which I always want go on as we went last month...

Our point of views...

On first date - I disliked it and thought I made a huge mistake as it was very busy and too busy at restaurant... I thought I cannot copy with it everyday...

But on second day/every day - it was much better and plenty space...

I start like it...

Our point of view for RC/DCL

Balconly was best at RC, we had a huge balcony with two sunbeds and 2 chairs with table...
Palo is best DCL than RC
Soda - disney included but RC had to paid for
Johnny Rockett - kids loved it RC
Kids club - our kids loved DCL but my son back off at kids club RC, daughter went once and never went back... DCL best
Actitives - RC
Foods - We enjoyed it and thought it was much better than DCL
Flowrider - we watched it and look like fun but we didnt try it...
Promenade - we love it...
Swimming pool - H20 I vote RC best...
Adult Spa at RC - oh it was very hot I think heat throught the window as we were sailing at Eastern Caribbean...
Spa - I didn't go at all at RC...
Private Island - Coco Cay - it was lovely beach... I think Castaway is best...
Ice Skating show was fab.. thump up...
Pity we never went to ice skating...
Mini golf was fun RC

Nothing wrong with Freedom but it was a huge ship and I think I used Magic lot and feel different from Freedom... It was a lovely ship...

Show - average and I like DCL... as we are deaf and we see/sight it.

Staff - DCL more pleasant and nice ...

Room attendant was very nice at RC too...

My husband said that he want try different ship Oasis or Allure but I think it is bigger... I am not sure...but

My heart is at Disney Cruise Magic... is best....nothing wrong with Freedom as I had a lovely times....

Scottishwee35
Disney Wonder Cruise, 6-9 April 06Disney Magic Cruise Med 18-28 July 07Disney Magic Panama Canal, 10 -28May 0828 July 10- Dover to Barcelona RCCI Freedom 10 April 11, Splendour of the Seas July 2013 WBTA Sept 2014

scottishwee35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #21
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
You have got a lot of good comments. Whether you like big ships or little ships. The ships are all fun and when you come back you will have gained 5 - 15 pounds. They really fix some great meals on all of the ships. There are a few comments that are just plain rediculous. The best thing to do is to read over those comments and give them little consideration.

On the RCI's if you don't show up for the main dinner you don't have to tip the waiter, assistant waiter and the head waiter. Some passengers are known to try to save that tip money and eat at the many free places on the promenade. RCI does not take the tips off your credit card until you request they do it.

The entertainment is definitely different. DCL is the only ship that feaures live entertainment that is put on by Disney. If you like the Mickey Mouse stories than you would love the DCL shows. The shows do get old as many have been on the ships since the time DCL has been in the cruise business.The other cruise lines have professional dancers and singers in professionally choreographed shows. They are very good also.

The bigger the ship the more there is to do on it. The is true for the RCI three big ships Oasis, Allure and the Freedom. The are definitely in a class by thmselves. They are the ships of the future.

Labade is really beautiful. It is hilly and has many hidden coves and places to go. It is the complete opposite of the DCL beach which is just flat, small and crowded. The comments about the beggers is obviously exaggerated. They are there, but do not present themselves in ways that comments say they do. The people were polite and friendly. I spoke to a few of them and never offered a tip to any of them because my cash was on the ship. It is worse if you go into any town in any port city and face the locals.

I don't think DCL can compare with the parties I have seen on the promenade in the RCI ships. The DCL party is great and only because that is the only space DCL has for their parties. The bigger ships have other spaces for parties.

No matter what cruise line you go on you will have a great time. I have found that the people who criticize any cruise line are generally the people who shouldn't have gone on a cruise anyway, and probably should have stayed home and let the rest of the family have fun.
Maybe you should take your own advice seeing how you like to put down DCL all the time
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #22
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
Maybe you should take your own advice seeing how you like to put down DCL all the time
Oh the irony

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
Sue (mom of 3 boys!)
DIS Veteran

We have done both, and can honestly say we loved both.
Just for reference, we have cruised the Wonder (3nt-too short!), and the Magic (both eastern and western), RCCL (4nt Soverign), 6nt on the Jewell, and 6 nt on the Independence of the Seas.

Aside from the too short cruises, we thoroughly enjoyed both. Each line had something better than the other-it was like comparing apples to oranges.

That being said, our kids now prefer the RCCL Freedom class. (The Oasis class does not appeal to any of us.) They are all very much into athletics, and lived on the sports deck, ice rink, etc. They found the food offerings more to their liking.

DH and I love both, and will continue to cruise both.

Our kids all have said they will definitely want to cruise DCL when they have their own children. DH and I will definitely be there for that!! DCL blows everyone else away for young kids IMHO.

Whatever ship you go on, don't go with a comparison in mind. Research the itineraries and activities offered and do what's best for your family. Your priorities may be completely different from someone else's. They are both great lines with positives and negatives. IMHO you can't go wrong with either.

1972 WDW-off site, 1981 WDW-Poly, 1989 Big Red Boat & Contemp., 1994 WDW-WL, 2000 WDW-ASM & POR, 2002 WDW-ASMu, 2004 RCCL 4 nt, 2005-DCL 3nt Wonder, 2006 WDW-ASSp & RCCL 6nt Western, 2/2007 Universal and DCL 7 nt Eastern, 2/2009 Busch Gardens, Red Sox Spring Training and RCCL Independence of the Seas, 1/2012 mini stay at WDW and DCL Eastern cruise on the Magic--25th Anniversary trip with DH

Sue (mom of 3 boys!) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
uziel5000
Mouseketeer

You are going to have fun at both. However, if the Disney "thing" does nothing for you or yours, then I would suggest RCI.

I love Disney and my DD's live and breathe Mickey and Princesses so for us it makes sense to try DCL at this point. But we have young kids and I'm kind of a big kid as well.

I have taken two RCI cruises and had a lot of fun. I'm sure you guys would too.

On November 24, 2012, the Pink Elephants were on Parade in the Caribbean
uziel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
I-Bike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfalla818 View Post
I literally just walked off the Oasis on Saturday. I was on the Western itinerary. The Oasis is basically a gigantic suburban shopping mall that's floating. If you are a teenager who is active and likes sport activities then RCCL has the perfect ship. However, I found their kids' pool area wanting. Not even a basic slide. There's nothing nautical about the ship. They went out of their way to bring the land to sea instead of helping their guests meet the ocean. DCL may seem like it costs more on the outset, but the rooms are larger, soda is included, and the main themed restaurants are included. On the Oasis, I found the food better in the casual buffet than at the main dinner. When it comes to private destinations--RCCL did a bad thing with Labadee, Haiti. Castaway Cay is outstanding.

I want to address the port thing. Oasis went to their private "peninsula" that RCCL fenced off from Haiti: Labadee. The beaches were not clean, the Haitians are all over asking for tips for everything and their market there is VERY aggressive. One lady working there told me to watch my money from pickpockets. There were ladies in the bathrooms expecting tips for handing out paper towels which reminds me of many places I've been but it does not speak of a resort or private getaway. Really unfortunate because the area is stunning. Second stop is RCCL's port of Falmouth. Go read about Falmouth on cruise critic. It's not remotely done and Falmouth in 10 years may have tourists walking around but not right now. Falmouth is an hour from all the places you want to go so RCCL found another way to grab your money--excursions. DCL parks at more convenient ports in Jamaica. 3rd stop was Cozumel except we were on the furthest pier out--because Oasis is too big for most ports.

Oasis:
Positives-lots of sports activities; amazing shows; nice adult area
Negatives-most restaurants for fee ($20-35 a head); soda is $8/day for package; cupcakes are $2.50, ice cream is a la carte (there's a theme here); 6000 guests/ 2500 crew on board; limited port stops because of size; their private peninsula is Labadee, Haiti; shops line their main promenade (looks like my local mall AND they have $10 sales and everything--with fake trees!!); no grand staircase; inside is covered in laminate and chrome; service really lacking in main dining; Oasis's spa was just not right. It had no water views from any room and their thermal areas were just lackluster.

DCL
Positives: huge cabins; split bathrooms; dining rotation through main restaurants where you keep your server; many drink options are free; a slide; nautical; beautiful, classical ships; Disney whimsy and touches; service!!!!; Port Canaveral!!!; Castaway Cay; BETTER SPA and nicer spa rooms; way better "kids" areas; a movie theater (no separate movie theater on Oasis/ Allure); Disney shows
Negatives: No climbing wall? no ice skating rink to pack pants for? Ok, I'll miss the flow riders.

My $.35 (I wrote a lot, I figured it's more than $.02! ha!)
We chose DCL because people rave about Castaway Cay, plus we love Disney. I don't like the 4000-6000 passenger ships and a lot of the comments I've read about the Oasis are while it's a breathtaking ship inside, it's also like a mall. If I wanted to visit the mall I'd drive 20 minutes up the road.

The bolded comment, however, makes me so sad. I know how badly Haiti was affected by the earthquake and they haven't recovered. The only way some of these people can survive is asking for tips for handing out paper towels. They need to feed their families too.
I-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
Viva Pataca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Actually I enjoyed the on deck party on the Wonder more than on the Dream because it was more intimate on the smaller ship. That's just me.
Viva Pataca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #27
maryisme
DIS Veteran

Hi,

We've cruised 9x with DCL and currently have 3 more booked. We love DCL! With that said, we also really, really enjoy cruising RCL. We've sailed on the Oasis, Freedom and more recently the Explorer. Had great times on all.

No, its not disney and there are no characters running around but thats ok. When I cruise with RCL, I don't do so expecting it to be like DCL because it is not going to be but that does not make it inferior it is just a different product.

We've had bad meals on DCL and we've had bad meals on RCL. It happens. When we vacation, we take everything in stride and enjoy just being away. Believe me, you will not go hungry.

As far as Labadee goes, we were not harrassed by anyone. It is a beautiful island and we absolutely enjoyed the time we spent there. Castaway Cay is my favorite!

Experience RCL for yourself and keep an open mind. I think you will come home with some wonderful memories of time well spent with your loved ones.

Mary
maryisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #28
brucechase
DIS Veteran

My post is not to compare since I have never sailed on RCCL, but I really did want to give this a try back in 2008/2009 and I am considering it again since the cost is pretty high on DCL. All that said, what stays in the back of my mind is a similar thread in 2008.

I will try to summarize what I read and what really bothered me. The post was a trip report on cruise critic about the ship. It was a very positive report, there was just things on it that bothered me.
Oh, by the way, you will no longer find this thread on cruise critic. They are very good about deleting anything that is posted bad about RCCL (just Google the RCCL cruise champions) and this thread got heating on cruise critic if I remember correctly.

Here is the original thread from 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1873096 I started posting on page 19 post 285. I never did get any good answers to these questions.

Here is what I wrote:

Quote:
Some of what I read that I am concerned with I need some help in understanding if I am over-reacting or if I need to lighten up?

I would be very concerned about sending a 12 YO out for a hottie picture contest.

Private island where people grabbing you trying to get you to buy things? Is this normal. I wouldn't like strangers grabbing my 9 or 11 YO.

People on the island asking kids to take food for them? That would make me uncomfortable.

Do you have to pay $15 to do anything in the water or is that just the waterpark?

Standing up and eating breakfast. Is that normal?

Being bitten by a racoon? Wow, I thought sea lice were bad. I know they did this on their own, but was it similar to the ship's excursion?

It seems like most of what I've read on that thread and others that most of what there is to do on the ship concerns alcohol. Is there really a lot to do to keep you busy if you are not a drinker?

Just looking to make decisions on if we can cruise again and on which line we will cruise on.
My biggest problem was the ship giving 12 YO girls cameras and telling them to go take pictures of hotties to bring back. This was not on any schedule and it wasn’t told to anyone before dropping the kids off in the club. There was never any good explanation to this so I have never looked at booking the RCCL cruise.

My hope is after reading many of these comparisons, I would see things get a LOT better.

2nd Trip Report - I need a round tuit.

I NEED A NEW CRUISE SO I CAN PUT A COUNTDOWN CLOCK HERE!
brucechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #29
mom2brooke76
Proud Redhead who doesn't think that Universal is the most wonderful place on earth!

Why did everyone ignore JillJill's request (post #2) to please search the site/look back through the threads for threads exactly like this one where these questions have already been answered? I think that we should respect the moderators and their requests

The internet: A system of computers linked together to send garbage back and forth and spread rumors.
mom2brooke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #30
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
If you compare the Disney Fantasy to the new RCCL ships Oasis of the Seas and the Allure of the Seas, you'll find they are closer in price. But Disney sails from Port Canaveral and the two new RCCL ships go out of Ft. Lauderdale.
Unfortunately that's no longer true for the Fantasy. It used to be when the prices first came out.

We are booked on the June 2, 2012 cruise and we are paying about $1,300 less than the Oasis for a nearly identical itinerary on the Fantasy leaving on the exact same day.

However, the price of our cruise has gone up by more than $3,000 making the Fantasy over $1,700 more than the Oasis currently. I'm not sure I could justify that price difference.

For us, we would either consider postponing our cruise and waiting to take advantage of lower pricing on DCL or we would consider booking on RCCL to save some cash.

OP:
FWIW, the RCCL FOS is about the same price we paid which means that it is currently $3,000 less than the Fantasy for our family!!! It leaves the very next day. Personally, $3,000 is a lot of money to me and I am surprised at how many families still book the June 2, 2012 Fantasy cruise despite RCCL offering two nearly identical itineraries leaving on the same or next day.

If you do choose the Oasis, please note that it stops in St. Maarten and St. Thomas the same day as the Carnival Dream. When the Fantasy stops there, it will be alone. The other two alternatives also stop at Nassau instead of CC. They don't stop at any private island.

Good luck deciding as I think that Disney has raised their prices too much this time! I'm so thankful we booked early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2brooke76 View Post
Why did everyone ignore JillJill's request (post #2) to please search the site/look back through the threads for threads exactly like this one where these questions have already been answered? I think that we should respect the moderators and their requests
There is always new information to be shared. Perhaps not everyone contributed in those old threads and some of them are closed and got into some fairly heated arguments over minute details that for most cruisers have no relevance on making a decision to cruise or not.

I think the advice to search before asking is great advice, but when a question is asked, it's often a desire to be helpful and give your perspective. I find these boards to be quite friendly most of the time. That's why you often see many people chime in to help answer questions that have been asked numerous times before.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream cruise, rccl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: