Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
lmb
DIS Veteran

Disney store cast member perks

Hi,
I'm a stay at home mom and was thinking of trying to find a part time job in the fall when my littlest is in school. Does anyone know what the perks are for working in the disney store? Do you have to work for a certain period before you get certain cast member privledges? (I have a PhD but this is what I choose to do with the 2nd part of my life - ha!)
lmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

This really is not DVC specific, so I am relocating the thread over to the Community Board. Thank you.
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

I'd like to know the answer to this, too -- but I feel like it's been asked lots of times and I don't remember ever seeing a definitive answer. Hopefully this time will be different
Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
castmember19
DIS Veteran

I'd like to know too. I work at a Disney Store but I seriously have just never questioned it. I think I heard that after working for a year, you get some free park tickets. I think just for one day for your family. I think. I heard that from another cast member. Apparently you can also get discounts on the resorts or hotels? Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm unfamiliar with perks because I haven't been there for over a year yet, so I'm ineligible so far.

The world is a carousel of color.
castmember19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
crazybones27
DVC Member

I too was interested in working part time at the Disney Store. I read though that part time employees might not get as many or any of the perks full timers get. Same goes for seasonal employees. I'd love to get a job there just to have that Disney feeling at all times . I've done retail before, but that was about 10 years or so ago now.

As a heads up I asked our Disney Store a few weeks ago if they were hiring and they weren't, but the manager I was talking too said they normally start hiring seasonal employees around August. I hope that helps a little also .
crazybones27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Lady V
I kept waking up so hot!
I get teary eyed and happy all at the same time!

One thing to consider is you normally need 2 days availability during the week and both Sat and Sun availability. It can vary some by store by that is the actual rule.
-BCV,HRH,AKV,BWV,
2010-BLT, ASSports,ASMusic, AKV, 2011-SSR2012-CBR, DAAR, BCV
2013 -ASMovies, AKV,POP, AKL 2014-SSR(3X),ASSports, Pop, OKW(2X), AKV(Club level!), BWV
Disney Dream-Jan 2014, Disney Magic-Feb 2014, Disney Magic-April 2014
Lady V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
lmb
DIS Veteran

My DH's a physician so my schedule couldn't be that flexible. Oh well. Just a pipe dream I guess!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 AM   #8
NatashaDisneyCM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb View Post
Hi,
I'm a stay at home mom and was thinking of trying to find a part time job in the fall when my littlest is in school. Does anyone know what the perks are for working in the disney store? Do you have to work for a certain period before you get certain cast member privledges? (I have a PhD but this is what I choose to do with the 2nd part of my life - ha!)
All the shifts are part time, only management have 25 plus hours. It is not easy to get a job at one. The perks are 20 %, and park passes, you get them two times a year. January and July.
The pay is not that great, but the benefits are descent. You also get the Hub, where you can make your ressies.
As for shifts, you need to have 3 work shifts available, one which is all day on saturday. You may only be scheduled for 8 hours of work a week, with 3 hour shifts, they tend to be 3, 4 or 5. hours. but you can have 2 work days of 4 hours, and then be "on call" for 3 other days. You will not know till 2 hours before if you are working or not.
NatashaDisneyCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
tomthebarncat
DIS Veteran

Do these benefits extend to other divisions of Disney? as I am in contract negiotations to work for the Publishing division in Shanghai, China. My headhunter, did not really know and told me to ask Disney, but I thought I would just post it here. Interestingly, they are using a UK based headhunter/recruiting company, I thought that was strange, and my contact told me that stateside recruiters were not able to find qualified candidates who wanted to relocate to China. Hence the need for a European firm with a larger employment pool to select from. I am going to Disney...
tomthebarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
NatashaDisneyCM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthebarncat View Post
Do these benefits extend to other divisions of Disney? as I am in contract negiotations to work for the Publishing division in Shanghai, China. My headhunter, did not really know and told me to ask Disney, but I thought I would just post it here. Interestingly, they are using a UK based headhunter/recruiting company, I thought that was strange, and my contact told me that stateside recruiters were not able to find qualified candidates who wanted to relocate to China. Hence the need for a European firm with a larger employment pool to select from. I am going to Disney...
I know that different divisions have different policies, The Disney store has the bottom of what is technically offered. and I believe that the parks do not seem to care to much for Store employes. I know that we all, everyone in the Disney company carries a Cast member ID, and is initialed to discounts, usually 35% if you are higher up in company.

My guess is you would probably get better bennies. I have seen different CM's come and go and they seem to do better.
We have to print out passes off the Hub, where as most CM's can just go to the parks and it is in the system, and they can get in at any time. If I am not mistaken.

My favorite discount is the Apple one, which is higher then the education discount, and the ATT wireless one! oh and Sirius XM radio!!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
lmb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaDisneyCM View Post
I know that different divisions have different policies, The Disney store has the bottom of what is technically offered. and I believe that the parks do not seem to care to much for Store employes. I know that we all, everyone in the Disney company carries a Cast member ID, and is initialed to discounts, usually 35% if you are higher up in company.

My guess is you would probably get better bennies. I have seen different CM's come and go and they seem to do better.
We have to print out passes off the Hub, where as most CM's can just go to the parks and it is in the system, and they can get in at any time. If I am not mistaken.

My favorite discount is the Apple one, which is higher then the education discount, and the ATT wireless one! oh and Sirius XM radio!!
Thanks for the info! Just a few clarifications. How many park passes do you get and do you get them for your entire family? Also, does the 20% apply to everything, e.g. cruises.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
NatashaDisneyCM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb View Post
Thanks for the info! Just a few clarifications. How many park passes do you get and do you get them for your entire family? Also, does the 20% apply to everything, e.g. cruises.
for starters, passes are only good for one day. It is a one day park hopper. so if you have a spouse and say two children living at home. for July, you would get 4 adult and 4 child ...one day park hopper passes. so that is two days worth of passes. Not much in the scheme of things...and then again in January.
I live alone, and I get 2 in July and 2 in January.
and no, 20% is not on everything, travel can get very involved.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
tomthebarncat
DIS Veteran

I found the following on the Disney Publishing Works (DPW):
A Wide Range of Benefits, including Health, Dental, Life Insurance and more
Complimentary Theme Park Passports
Educational Reimbursement
Learning and Development Opportunities
The Walt Disney Company Foundation Scholarship Program
Employee Stock Purchase Program
Disney TEAM Discounts, including Disney products and merchandise
Credit Unions
Educational Matching Gifts Program
Disney VoluntEARS
Service Awards
Personal Assistant Network
Employee & Cast Member Contests
Childcare Centers in Burbank and Orlando
Employee Stores in Several Locations discount

Are these the typical benefits that Disney offers?? I am especially interested in the stock options! Any and all information is needed before I sign a contract and commit my family to a transatlantic move.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
NatashaDisneyCM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthebarncat View Post
I found the following on the Disney Publishing Works (DPW):
A Wide Range of Benefits, including Health, Dental, Life Insurance and more
Complimentary Theme Park Passports
Educational Reimbursement
Learning and Development Opportunities
The Walt Disney Company Foundation Scholarship Program
Employee Stock Purchase Program
Disney TEAM Discounts, including Disney products and merchandise
Credit Unions
Educational Matching Gifts Program
Disney VoluntEARS
Service Awards
Personal Assistant Network
Employee & Cast Member Contests
Childcare Centers in Burbank and Orlando
Employee Stores in Several Locations discount

Are these the typical benefits that Disney offers?? I am especially interested in the stock options! Any and all information is needed before I sign a contract and commit my family to a transatlantic move.
not all that is posted is available.
It depends on what position you are in and etc. like I am not eligible for
any of the health benefits or dental etc. No paid days off or vacations.
I do have a 401K with stock options that I contribute to.

as far as your position you are looking at, I would differently ask what is available to you out of what you posted.

we get to use the Team disney store down in Disney, but most of these do not apply to store CM's
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
tomthebarncat
DIS Veteran

Thanks Natasha, I am going as a corporate trainer, to work for Disney English, a language immersion program. So they have already told me that health, etc I will get, I was just curious, as to what was or is available. I actually am expecting a phone call from them this afternoon, and I will ask them as the benefits need to be in my contract. I will also get a generous housing allowance!! not to shabby! But I do have to wear a silly uniform, black shoes, black belt, khaki pants and Disney shirt, I think this may be a cultural sensitivity issue, who knows???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: