Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #121
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you
 
Cinderella's Fella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland, Land of Merry!
Posts: 12,987

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Best book I read all year! Here is a link to a review of it. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...ady-player-one
__________________
DW Jodi Me Randall DISDads Chief Bacon Officer!



Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #122
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Best book I read all year! Here is a link to a review of it. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...ady-player-one
Thanks for the review! I'll definitely check this out.
__________________
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #123
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you
 
Cinderella's Fella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland, Land of Merry!
Posts: 12,987

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
Thanks for the review! I'll definitely check this out.
I finished reading it a week and a half ago, and I'm still thinking how cool it was. I mean cool as in a major geek way.
__________________
DW Jodi Me Randall DISDads Chief Bacon Officer!



Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #124
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room
 
Turkey Lurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Hoth
Posts: 837

Geeks can help people too!

I'm involved with the Extra Life program this year, raising money for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals by playing video games for 24 hours, and I'm looking for sponsors! I have set a modest goal of $100, and as of this posting I am halfway there. Any amount will help get me even closer.

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...cipantID=22273

Won't somebody think of the children?


TL
__________________
Indolence capable of energies.
(Me), (DW), (DD6), (DD1)
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #125
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)
 
BigTex71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Best book I read all year! Here is a link to a review of it. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...ady-player-one
After hearing this, I immediately 'checked-out' this book in ebook format from my local library online. Man, this is such a great read! I lost some sleep last night because I didn't want to stop reading and go to bed. Thanks for the recommendation! <== thumb
__________________
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011


me dw ds(14) dd(7)
BigTex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #126
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you
 
Cinderella's Fella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland, Land of Merry!
Posts: 12,987

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
After hearing this, I immediately 'checked-out' this book in ebook format from my local library online. Man, this is such a great read! I lost some sleep last night because I didn't want to stop reading and go to bed. Thanks for the recommendation! <== thumb
You're welcome John, I'm still flashing back to it every time I see something 80's or old video games, or ready, anything geeky.
__________________
DW Jodi Me Randall DISDads Chief Bacon Officer!



Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #127
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran
 
dsnydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 2,055

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like an interesting book.
__________________
dsnydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #128
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,043

Bought Disney Universe last Friday.

Played a little Friday Night as...we got rained out at the Corn Maze.

DS11 and I played for a few Hours.

Basic run around and bash up little Badguy robots...with a few mini-games thrown in.

Seems there are 6 "worlds" to play with Pirates of the Caribbean being World 1 which is unlocked...other Worlds are :
  • Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton version)
  • Aladdin
  • Lion King
  • Wall-E
  • Monsters Inc
All the characters are little Big headed "munchkin" players which wear different costumes based on Disney Characters.

To start with there are 9 unlocked Costumes to choose from:
  • Mickey (Generic)
  • Donald (Generic)
  • Tron (Generic)
  • Pumba (Lion King)
  • Captain Angelica (POTC)
  • Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)
  • Randall (Monsters Inc...not the Bacon Loving Disdad)
  • Hal (Cockroach from Wall-E)
  • Jasmine (Aladdin)

So far I've unlocked the following new costumes.
  • Quorra (Tron) (Generic)
  • Minnie (Generic)
  • Queen of Hearts (AiW)
  • Captain Jack (POTC)
  • Iago (Aladdin)

From Reading the Literature that comes with the game there are supposed to be new Characters and Worlds available for Download/Purchase through Xbox Live (or similar game system online store)

I haven't played enough to give a really good review...yet...but Corn Maze Season ended last night...so I have allot more free time now.

Just Noticed...this was Post #3000.
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #129
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave
 
theduck619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 9,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennr View Post
Bought Disney Universe last Friday.

Played a little Friday Night as...we got rained out at the Corn Maze.

DS11 and I played for a few Hours.

Basic run around and bash up little Badguy robots...with a few mini-games thrown in.

Seems there are 6 "worlds" to play with Pirates of the Caribbean being World 1 which is unlocked...other Worlds are :
  • Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton version)
  • Aladdin
  • Lion King
  • Wall-E
  • Monsters Inc
All the characters are little Big headed "munchkin" players which wear different costumes based on Disney Characters.

To start with there are 9 unlocked Costumes to choose from:
  • Mickey (Generic)
  • Donald (Generic)
  • Tron (Generic)
  • Pumba (Lion King)
  • Captain Angelica (POTC)
  • Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)
  • Randall (Monsters Inc...not the Bacon Loving Disdad)
  • Hal (Cockroach from Wall-E)
  • Jasmine (Aladdin)

So far I've unlocked the following new costumes.
  • Quorra (Tron) (Generic)
  • Minnie (Generic)
  • Queen of Hearts (AiW)
  • Captain Jack (POTC)
  • Iago (Aladdin)

From Reading the Literature that comes with the game there are supposed to be new Characters and Worlds available for Download/Purchase through Xbox Live (or similar game system online store)

I haven't played enough to give a really good review...yet...but Corn Maze Season ended last night...so I have allot more free time now.
We were thinking about getting it for Christmas. How is the level of violence?
__________________
(me - David) (DW) DS 10 & = 9 (twins) DS 9 DD 7 DD 5

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 11/1/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #130
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
We were thinking about getting it for Christmas. How is the level of violence?
hmmm...hard to say...as the "Bad guys" are robots.

Each Player has an Item to "thwark" (I like that word from Tak: and the Great Juju Challange) the badguys with...for example Mickey has a big Mallet looking thing and Donald has a Boat Anchor...

The robots do attack you...and you attack them...you can also "attack" your co-players.

Lets say it's about the same as a Lego Game.
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #131
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)
 
BigTex71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,462

Anyone hear of James@War? I found his music on Spotify - love it! Think Weird Al, but a little more nerdish and geeky. Is that even possible?! Yes, yes it is, and it's name is James@War!

His song "Huge Dork" is my new personal anthem.
__________________
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011


me dw ds(14) dd(7)
BigTex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #132
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave
 
theduck619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 9,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
Anyone hear of James@War? I found his music on Spotify - love it! Think Weird Al, but a little more nerdish and geeky. Is that even possible?! Yes, yes it is, and it's name is James@War!

His song "Huge Dork" is my new personal anthem.
Man if DW knew there was a song with that title should play it everywhere I went

I'll check it out
__________________
(me - David) (DW) DS 10 & = 9 (twins) DS 9 DD 7 DD 5

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 11/1/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #133
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
Anyone hear of James@War? I found his music on Spotify - love it! Think Weird Al, but a little more nerdish and geeky. Is that even possible?! Yes, yes it is, and it's name is James@War!

His song "Huge Dork" is my new personal anthem.
Apparently...I'm a Huge Dork.

Found it on You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHZCXJfAW8
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #134
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,043

Forgot to mention...back in Sept...wife got me Season 1...2...3 of Animaniacs.

Hellllloooooo Nurse!!!!!!

Been watching with the kids....they like it...
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #135
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,043

Just walked thru Wal-Mart on Lunch break...seen that Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 is coming out tomorrow.

So far I have thought that the Lego HP y1-4 has been the Best Lego Game to date...hope this one will be just as good.

My Personal Rank of the Lego games.
  1. HP 1-4
  2. SW 1&2 (tie)
  3. Batman
  4. Pirates
  5. Indy 1
  6. SW 3
Do not own Indy 2 or SW-CS.
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: