Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #136
MickeyMaz
Always Remember the Magic
 
MickeyMaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: King Of Prussia, Pa.
Posts: 923

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennr View Post
Just walked thru Wal-Mart on Lunch break...seen that Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 is coming out tomorrow.

So far I have thought that the Lego HP y1-4 has been the Best Lego Game to date...hope this one will be just as good.

My Personal Rank of the Lego games.
  1. HP 1-4
  2. SW 1&2 (tie)
  3. Batman
  4. Pirates
  5. Indy 1
  6. SW 3
Do not own Indy 2 or SW-CS.
You bring up a thought. Have you noticed that the last couple of months any games advertsied on TV for any of the systems, Wii, Xbox or whatever has older people playing them. Guys or girls, just older. It's as if the game companies know they don't need to advertise to kids and are getting us to play. Our Library rents games for $1 a week. Looks like I'll be picking up HP 1-4.
__________________
Signed, A Big Fan of the Mouse, the Duck , the Lion, the Alien, the Elephant, the ... you get the idea.

The Maz Disney Blog: http://themazdisneyblog.blogspot.com/
The "We're Going to WDW" Podcast: http://wgtwdw.podbean.com/ ]Show # 31 Just Released 5/21/13
MickeyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #137
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMaz View Post
You bring up a thought. Have you noticed that the last couple of months any games advertsied on TV for any of the systems, Wii, Xbox or whatever has older people playing them. Guys or girls, just older. It's as if the game companies know they don't need to advertise to kids and are getting us to play. Our Library rents games for $1 a week. Looks like I'll be picking up HP 1-4.
Yeah...allot of Shooter games coming out...with adults playing them...I don't play those...if it's rated more than a T well chances are I don't get it.

Most popular games are far to graphic and violent. As an aside...Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 for the original Xbox are still in my collection...as i enjoy snipering droids.

Harry Potter 1-4 is VERY good...lots of "hidden" things in Hogwarts and around and Diagon Alley...lots of non-level things you must do to finish the game...I guess that is what sets it above all other Lego Games in my book...heck I never even looked at Harry Potter...Book or Movie until this game...now I've seen all the Movies and read all the Books...I just hope the new Lego Harry Potter 5-7 is just as good.
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #138
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennr View Post
Yeah...allot of Shooter games coming out...with adults playing them...I don't play those...if it's rated more than a T well chances are I don't get it.

Most popular games are far to graphic and violent. As an aside...Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 for the original Xbox are still in my collection...as i enjoy snipering droids.

Harry Potter 1-4 is VERY good...lots of "hidden" things in Hogwarts and around and Diagon Alley...lots of non-level things you must do to finish the game...I guess that is what sets it above all other Lego Games in my book...heck I never even looked at Harry Potter...Book or Movie until this game...now I've seen all the Movies and read all the Books...I just hope the new Lego Harry Potter 5-7 is just as good.
We've held the line against 1st person shooter games so far at our house. I know it is just a matter of time before DS10 wants to play them, but DS12 is kind of freaked out by them, so we've been staying away. Helps that we only have a Wii and DS (don't have as many of those games)

HP1-4 was amazing. That one, the Lego Star Wars Saga and the Lego POTC saga are my favorite Lego games.
__________________
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #139
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,706

Bought the Super Mario 3D Land today for the 3DS. Fun, for the brief time I was allowed to try it, but my son is half way through already and he hasn't been playing that long. Probably too short...
__________________
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #140
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?
 
twokids0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North of Toronto - Canada
Posts: 13,536

Looking to buy the 3DS for my kids for the holidays...

What are your experiences with battery life?
__________________
1982 - Off Site * 1996 - Off Site * 1998 - All Star Sports * 2009 - Pop Century * 2010 - Pop Century * 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS10
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #141
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
We've held the line against 1st person shooter games so far at our house. I know it is just a matter of time before DS10 wants to play them, but DS12 is kind of freaked out by them, so we've been staying away. Helps that we only have a Wii and DS (don't have as many of those games)

HP1-4 was amazing. That one, the Lego Star Wars Saga and the Lego POTC saga are my favorite Lego games.
DS16...almost DS17...really wants one of the shooters...but we've just told him that they are too violent and we do not want that in our house. SW_Battlefront is as far as we go...and it is rated T.
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #142
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
Looking to buy the 3DS for my kids for the holidays...

What are your experiences with battery life?
Curious about Battery Life too...I was playing with a Demo of the 3d Mario game at Best Buy the other day...Graphics looked good with the 3D mode turned off...

Pretty neat technology with it turned on though...my inner-geek-engineering technician side wants to know how they do that.
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #143
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)
 
BigTex71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennr View Post
Yeah...allot of Shooter games coming out...with adults playing them...I don't play those...if it's rated more than a T well chances are I don't get it.

Most popular games are far to graphic and violent. As an aside...Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 for the original Xbox are still in my collection...as i enjoy snipering droids.
I am an old school PC gamer. I played countless hours online of Rainbow 6 (the original), Tribes, Tribes 2, Unreal Tournament (the original), Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, CoD 4 (Modern Warfare 1), and Combat Arms to name a few.

My dilemma: I wanted to play the new CoD Modern Warfare 3. This meant I would either have to upgrade my current PC or try to play on the PS3 or XBox 360. Well, since I am a married man with children - the upgrading the computer was ruled out because of the 'bang for your buck' factor. After some extensive research of PS3 vs XB 360, I finally decided to try the XBox 360 version.

Next dilemma: I suck at using those controllers for FPS games. Like I said, I am old school PC gamer so I am used to a mouse/keyboard setup. Again, after more extensive research I found an excellent solution: XIM3. It is an interface that allows you to use your keyboard and mouse with XBox 360 games (and it works on the PS3 also!) I ordered it and got it set up and I have to say that I was BLOWN AWAY! Finally, I can play FPS games on the consoles with the old school interface I was so used to. I have played through about half of the single player missions on MW3 and did some single player Survival modes. Once I get a little more proficient with the controls and get a better feel of the game, I will be ready to try out the ever-so-addictive multiplayer modes.

I have found a new outlet for my stress. XIM3 + XBox 360 + Modern Warfare 3 = pure awesomeness!
__________________
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011


me dw ds(14) dd(7)
BigTex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #144
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
Looking to buy the 3DS for my kids for the holidays...

What are your experiences with battery life?
Very good actually. A good 4 if not closer to 6 hours.

Our 3 kids use the 3D part very differently when they play it. One doesn't use it at all, one only a little and one all the way up. It does take some getting used to and I find myself adjusting it frequently (or just leaving it off).
__________________
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #145
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
I am an old school PC gamer. I played countless hours online of Rainbow 6 (the original), Tribes, Tribes 2, Unreal Tournament (the original), Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, CoD 4 (Modern Warfare 1), and Combat Arms to name a few.

My dilemma: I wanted to play the new CoD Modern Warfare 3. This meant I would either have to upgrade my current PC or try to play on the PS3 or XBox 360. Well, since I am a married man with children - the upgrading the computer was ruled out because of the 'bang for your buck' factor. After some extensive research of PS3 vs XB 360, I finally decided to try the XBox 360 version.

Next dilemma: I suck at using those controllers for FPS games. Like I said, I am old school PC gamer so I am used to a mouse/keyboard setup. Again, after more extensive research I found an excellent solution: XIM3. It is an interface that allows you to use your keyboard and mouse with XBox 360 games (and it works on the PS3 also!) I ordered it and got it set up and I have to say that I was BLOWN AWAY! Finally, I can play FPS games on the consoles with the old school interface I was so used to. I have played through about half of the single player missions on MW3 and did some single player Survival modes. Once I get a little more proficient with the controls and get a better feel of the game, I will be ready to try out the ever-so-addictive multiplayer modes.

I have found a new outlet for my stress. XIM3 + XBox 360 + Modern Warfare 3 = pure awesomeness!
Nice solution! I've got nothing against the first person shooter games (and would really like to get COD or some of the other games out now), but with a 12 and 11 year old in the house, there's no way I could keep them from playing if I got it.
__________________
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #146
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)
 
BigTex71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
Nice solution! I've got nothing against the first person shooter games (and would really like to get COD or some of the other games out now), but with a 12 and 11 year old in the house, there's no way I could keep them from playing if I got it.
One good thing about MW3 is that you can turn off the excessive violence. But I hear you. I have a DS 11, but I keep him occupied with other stuff while I hook up the 360 in my office to the computer monitor. With the XIM3, (and the 360 hidden around the corner of the desk) it looks like I am just playing a computer game.
__________________
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011


me dw ds(14) dd(7)
BigTex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #147
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave
 
theduck619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 9,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
One good thing about MW3 is that you can turn off the excessive violence. But I hear you. I have a DS 11, but I keep him occupied with other stuff while I hook up the 360 in my office to the computer monitor. With the XIM3, (and the 360 hidden around the corner of the desk) it looks like I am just playing a computer game.
You sir are my hero
__________________
(me - David) (DW) DS 10 & = 9 (twins) DS 9 DD 7 DD 5

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 12/9/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #148
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)
 
BigTex71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
You sir are my hero
No, sir. I am evil. This is the XBox 360 that is the Christmas gift for the family. I just couldn't wait until Christmas to start playing MW3. Hence the reason I have to hide it to make it look like I am playing the PC.

I feel terrible about doing that. Well, maybe not. Does that make me a bad dad? I kept all the packaging and it will appear brand new when they see it Christmas morning. It won't be wrapped anyway -DW grew up in a household that Santa never wraps presents. I find that disturbing, but you all know how that goes - DW wins that battle.
__________________
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011


me dw ds(14) dd(7)
BigTex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #149
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
One good thing about MW3 is that you can turn off the excessive violence. But I hear you. I have a DS 11, but I keep him occupied with other stuff while I hook up the 360 in my office to the computer monitor. With the XIM3, (and the 360 hidden around the corner of the desk) it looks like I am just playing a computer game.
How does one turn off excessive violence...when the object of the game is to shoot and kill?

Sneaky playing with the Christmas gift before Christmas.
__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #150
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....
 
trennr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 4,057

BTW... Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7...every bit as good as LHP:y1-4

We've actually dropped playing Disney Universe...for LHP:5-7

Often me and the kids will converse in Lego Mini-Language. hmmm...ugh...mmmuh...huh....nnnn

__________________
trennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: