Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #31
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2997 View Post
Interesting....on the DVC website it still states the 1 bedroom at OKW is a 4 person room.

I would imagine, if we were DVC owners, we would be better with food too and not need a full DDP. Usually, when we vacation now, we snack for breakfast and pack a lunch and only eat out for dinner. So we may be able to get away with now DDP if we wanted.

I know OKW has a shorter contract length, but it is less expensive because of that - which makes it really attractive...plus having a 5 person occupancy is a big plus as my wife and SIL are attached at the hip (not literally...but you know what I mean).
One of my favorite things about the 1 bedroom villas - full kitchen! Everything that you need is there - pots, pans, utensils, plates, glasses, silverware, full size fridge, stove, oven, microwave & dishwasher. If you bring or rent a car there are several grocery stores 5 minutes away. DVC also offers grocery delivery (the prices are a bit high, but still cheaper than, say a character breakfast). There is also a 3rd party service called Garden Grocer that will deliver. I haven't used them, so I can't speak to their quality or price.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #32
unclescrooge_0707
I'M ON THE RIGHT!!!
DDC 418

I have one!
We're a family of 6.
We have a DD, and she's 8 months. So, In POR, all 6 stayed and we were fine (ish).

When would DVC make us move up to a 2 BR?

My completed first Trip Report:
I'm not a foodie, but I play one at WDW - completed through lack of updates 6/14/11!
unclescrooge_0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #33
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Not in the sense of having a reservation - but it is on the long-term calendar yes. We're looking at 2013. We only bought enough at this time to do the every 3 plan. Our first points will be this December which we'll bank, so with the borrowing, summer of 2013. But we're cool with that. The airfare every year would kill us, so every 3 is good until the kids are grown and gone.
Good idea. I know I want to stay in Aulani, but the distance from KY every 3 years is a bit much. We would be more likely to stay at Vero.

Quote:
NON-DVC guy here....but have DVC envy....

My wife is all for it which is a huge plus.

My main debate is - do I purchase a smaller point contract (i.e. 200 points at SSR) and only go over other year to the world (since we always go during high peak season due to mine and the DW's jobs.).

Or do I save money until I can afford that 400 point contact?

I definitely like the cost of the maintenance fees for the 200 pt contract better!

SSR is attractive for the resale cost...since it is less expensive. But I think we would really prefer either BLT or an EPCOT DVC resort.
I would buy where you think you would be happy. SSR is nice, but if you want a MK resort, then you won't like SSR. It is cool to take a monorail into the parks.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #34
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescrooge_0707 View Post
I have one!
We're a family of 6.
We have a DD, and she's 8 months. So, In POR, all 6 stayed and we were fine (ish).

When would DVC make us move up to a 2 BR?
Yes you were fine(ish) at POR... but for how long? Once that 8 moDD gets past three you'll be out of luck at POR anyway.

Yes, with a party of 6 in DVC you would need a 2 BR. It's a sad reality. That or just go with 2 regular cash rooms - or if they fit 6 (I'm not sure) one of the Family Suites at All Star Music, or the under construction Art of Animation resort next to POP.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #35
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
One of my favorite things about the 1 bedroom villas - full kitchen! Everything that you need is there - pots, pans, utensils, plates, glasses, silverware, full size fridge, stove, oven, microwave & dishwasher. If you bring or rent a car there are several grocery stores 5 minutes away. DVC also offers grocery delivery (the prices are a bit high, but still cheaper than, say a character breakfast). There is also a 3rd party service called Garden Grocer that will deliver. I haven't used them, so I can't speak to their quality or price.
Mine too Barry! We love making meals in the room. We've made all three types of meals - and don't just limit them to quick and easy. We love grilling - so we've done burgers & brats, but also chicken and steaks. In the kitchen we've also done stuff like spaghetti, pizza, tacos, all variety of breakfast foods - we've even baked our own cake.

In addition to the DVC grocery delivery, and Garden Grocer (we have used them), there's also a company called WeGoShop that will deliver as well. With WeGoShop, you contact them and set up a list - and they will shop where you tell them to shop - even use coupons for you, if you provide the coupons. The prices are what they pay in the stores, but the delivery charge is fairly hefty plus a tip. With Garden Grocer, you order from their website, with a fairly wide variety of things. The prices are what they post, but the delivery charge is more nominal - free if you hit a certain spend level.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #36
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!
I'm not sure what I'll be tied up in at home tonight

Any DVD Dads interested in renting some points to me?

I'm entertaining the option of renting points for a Studio in BLT for 3/31/12-4/7/12 I believe it would run around 176 points or so.

Dis Dads Member #543

April 2012 Spring Break TR

Trips:April 2014 (BLT), January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
MK Only (1 day visits) - 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Offsite - 2013, 2005, 1990
scott2997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #37
Mrmrezg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Any DVD Dads interested in renting some points to me?

I'm entertaining the option of renting points for a Studio in BLT for 3/31/12-4/7/12 I believe it would run around 176 points or so.
I may be able to help you out there. I have banked points (186) that I don't plan to use. But I have never rented points so I am not real sure about how to do it. I'd like to hook you up.
Greg DisDad #577
2007 POP (First Family Trip),
2010 PoR,
2011 AKL
2012 SSR
Mrmrezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #38
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!
I'm not sure what I'll be tied up in at home tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmrezg View Post
I may be able to help you out there. I have banked points (186) that I don't plan to use. But I have never rented points so I am not real sure about how to do it. I'd like to hook you up.
Just sent you a PM. <---thumb

Dis Dads Member #543

April 2012 Spring Break TR

Trips:April 2014 (BLT), January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
MK Only (1 day visits) - 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Offsite - 2013, 2005, 1990
scott2997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #39
RAlexander84
Mouseketeer

I have been looking into renting some points for our trip in 2012 to stay at AKV. Been looking at the Savannah view studio, anybody know if this is actually part of the villas or just a special part of the lodge or what?
DIS Dad's Club Member #564

RAlexander84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #40
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

dvc? whats that? stopher, you do a great job at explaining everything about dvc. i nominate you the disdads dvc spoke person!! (i have little red x for my smilies for some reason so heres a big thumbs up!!)
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #41
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlexander84 View Post
I have been looking into renting some points for our trip in 2012 to stay at AKV. Been looking at the Savannah view studio, anybody know if this is actually part of the villas or just a special part of the lodge or what?
They are all in same area. AKL has rooms for cash guests and villas. They're types of villas - value, standard, savannah view, club concierge, in studio, 1 br, 2 br, or GV. Think of it as 2 semi-circle hotels located in football end zones with the playing field as savannah. The two hotels are Jambo House and Kidani Village. You will have a savannah view at either hotel. Kidani advantages are the 1st bus stop to parks (not DTD), splash park & bigger water slide, Sanaa restaurant is there, and the 1 br and above have an extra bathroom. Jambo was the first built and has a bigger pool, kids water slide, QS at Mare, Jiko, and Boma restaurants. The values are only at Jambo and are less points, but smaller and views of parking lot. The others are same number of points.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #42
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

I've been debating the DVC membership for a while now. We go about every year, and stay in deluxes most of the time, but I still can't get past the down payment. Would love to hear from current owners about why it makes fiscal sense... Thanks guys...
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #43
dadio
DIS Dad #501
glassblowing dad to 3!

well your gonna save going re-sale, but your gonna need the $$ or a home equity line of credit/personal loan, ect......If your tapped in those regards, Disney will be the bank and finance you directly, and from what I read , they are pretty generious on who they finance

now as a fer-instance....we are going next month....my father has been talking about taking all the grandkids there when they get older...now we love disney, so we bought into it SIGHT UNSEEN....we actually came into a little bit of cash and used it....but the upcoming trip was the main reason we bought in...now with 15 people, a grand villa and a deluxe studio for a week, would have cost $10500 for the week,which is about half of what we paid for our contract..granted we are using up all of this yrs and next yrs points for the trip, but it will be worth it....and if we are jonesing to go next yr, we can borrow a bit from 2013....now that isn't taking into account we will pay about $1200-$1300 a yr in fees...but I feel that it is a good deal...plus our rooms are taken care of till 2042!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #44
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBelding View Post
I've been debating the DVC membership for a while now. We go about every year, and stay in deluxes most of the time, but I still can't get past the down payment. Would love to hear from current owners about why it makes fiscal sense... Thanks guys...
We did resale the 1st time through Time Share Store, and they were great. You have to find the right contract (where you want to stay, UY, # points). Look at how many points you would need for your stay and fund a resale contract that meets it. Once you own a DVC, you can add on points in increments of 25 w no financing or 50 w financing through WDW. You may be able to get a resale contract for around $7500 or less. The financial piece for us was that we own outright, bought 1 add on contract for BLT. And, since we go every year (or twice), we spend less time at parks and more enjoying the resort.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #45
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
We did resale the 1st time through Time Share Store, and they were great. You have to find the right contract (where you want to stay, UY, # points). Look at how many points you would need for your stay and fund a resale contract that meets it. Once you own a DVC, you can add on points in increments of 25 w no financing or 50 w financing through WDW. You may be able to get a resale contract for around $7500 or less. The financial piece for us was that we own outright, bought 1 add on contract for BLT. And, since we go every year (or twice), we spend less time at parks and more enjoying the resort.
Thanks! That's helpful, I'll look into the Time Share Store.

One more Q; didn't Disney change the perks you get if you buy resale as opposed to through Disney recently? Anyone know what the changes were?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: