Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
sfven
Earning My Ears

Just off Dream, a few tips to share...

Hope to write a trip report soon, until then, thought I could share a few tips/observances from our 5/5-5/8 cruise:

-Got to port around 10:40am, no line to get through security, got up to terminal and filled out health form. They were handing out boarding # cards as you enter check-in lines, got #9. They called boarding #1 at noon, we walked onto ship at 12:40pm

-Did not wait in line at terminal to get Kids' Club wristbands, did that later on the ship with no wait

-Access to rooms was promptly at 1:30pm, got luggage around 2:45pm. The aft balcony (# 8188) was HUGE! Kids loved the inside room virtual porthole (# 8681)

-Stateroom lights, especially porthole switch, were slow to turn on. We thought the switches weren't working and couldn't figure out why nothing would turn on. You just have to wait a few seconds for things to turn on after you turn on switches

-Same thing with tv remote, seconds delay when using

-Didn't use over-the-door organizer or extension cord/power strip. Plenty of shelve/storage spaces, and plugged in camcorder/camera chargers by nightstand and vanity outlets. Maybe on longer 7 night cruises they are needed, but we didn't need them

-AquaDuck line was nonexistent at night, but we didn't have chance to ride with dinner and shows. Early morning line was short, as was early on Castaway Cay day.

-Best times to explore ship was mid-day. There were a couple of times where it was like a ghost town, and we were the only ones walking around (everyone was either off the ship or at the pool deck).

-Had to try the Cheesesteak sandwich and cheese platter from room service, after reading all about it. While the sandwich was good, the meat had a lot of fat. Cheese platter was ok (got extra crackers) and all the fresh fruit on the ship was really sweet.

-Bring water shoes for Castaway Cay. Forgot to bring for kids, and they had a hard time walking on sand with the shells. Also, someone said they were told their kids could not use snorkels at the beach, only at the designated snorkel area.

-Sit Port side (left) looking towards Starboard side (right) to watch fireworks. But don't sit too close to Mickey slide as it will block view.
sfven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Princess Bette
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the tips! What time did you register at the kids club? I am not planning on standing in to do it in the terminal...would love not to have to wait!

March 24-28, 2013 Disney Dream Spring Break Cruise with MaMaw
Nov 30-Dec 8, 2012 Fort Wilderness at WDW
July 5-10, 2011 Disney Dream 5 Night Double Dip Bahama's Cruise
March 21-24, 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Spring Break Bahama's Cruise
Princess Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
sfven
Earning My Ears

I believe registration on the ship started after muster drill, but we went after the 8:30pm show. They were doing it in a conference room on Deck 5, near the Oceaneer's Club/Lab. No wait. Also, the original bands they used deteriorated at the adhesive portion and came apart after swimming. I took both kids bands back the next day and they replaced them with plastic ones that snapped on. They said a lot of people had the same problem and they had been replacing them. Ask if you can get the plastic bands instead of the sticky closure ones.
sfven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Bette View Post
Thanks for the tips! What time did you register at the kids club? I am not planning on standing in to do it in the terminal...would love not to have to wait!
When we were on the Dream at the beginning of April, we avoided the line at the terminal and just walked up to the kid's club as soon as we boarded (we were in boarding group 5 so it was about 12:00). We were the only people there (besides the CM's) so we were able to get DS's wristband and look around the club/lab area with no one else around. We had pre-registered him online so it was very quick and easy. After that we headed upstairs to Cabanas for lunch.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: