Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #61
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

From my just completed trip.....EPCOT monorail races ahead of an approaching storm

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #62
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim View Post
I'm looking to get a new lens for my 510. Right now, I'm looking at the 35mm F3.5 macro ($229) and the 50mm F2.0 macro ($499).

If I get the 35mm, will I wish that I had just waited and got the 50mm? I'm wanting to improve on portrait/people shots and in lower light. Any pros and cons with these two lens? I'd love to hear your opinions on these lenses or if you have them and how you use them--which would you choose?

Thanks!!
I have the 50mm and it's a fantastic lens! I've never used the 35mm but people who do have it seem to like it a lot. Even though the 50mm is f/2.0, I find it's slow to focus in low light. I was trying to use it at a wedding reception once and I got frustrated with it. When I switched back to the 12-60mm lens, I didn't have any problems. That one stays on my camera most of the time.

But I've gotten some nice portraits with the 50mm.

Pugrpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #63
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDif View Post
From my just completed trip.....EPCOT monorail races ahead of an approaching storm

Nice shot Joe! Topaz? Looking forward to more shots from your trip!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #64
kim
Mouseketeer

The 12-60 is a bit much out of my price range. Actually, the 50mm is stretching it. I really want to work more on people pictures. Anyone got any good suggestions that I'm probably not looking at for another lens? I've only got the two that came with the 510--14-42mm and the 40-150mm.

Here's a few of my pictures.

I know the baby pic has a little fuzziness to it, but it's REALLY hard getting a picture of a baby/toddler. Thanks for any input---I love looking at all your pictures.

Last edited by kim; 06-07-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added additional info
kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #65
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Kim, I've gotten most of my lenses on Craigslist for about half their price new. The lenses I've bought have been kept meticulously and I'm always able to try them out before I purchase. You can't always find what you're looking for right away, but keep your eyes open and eventually they turn up. I waited two years for the 50-200 and jumped on it when I saw it. I actually had a friend go to the bank, take out some cash and go to get it for me, lol.

On the pictures, are you using a tripod?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #66
kim
Mouseketeer

I just bought a tripod a couple of weeks ago. These pictures were just plain hand held.

I'll keep a watch on Craigs List.
Thanks!
kim
Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #67
Pugrpooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim View Post
The 12-60 is a bit much out of my price range. Actually, the 50mm is stretching it. I really want to work more on people pictures. Anyone got any good suggestions that I'm probably not looking at for another lens? I've only got the two that came with the 510--14-42mm and the 40-150mm.

Here's a few of my pictures.

I know the baby pic has a little fuzziness to it, but it's REALLY hard getting a picture of a baby/toddler. Thanks for any input---I love looking at all your pictures.
Kim,

Rather than picking up another lens, I'd recommend picking up an external flash. You can get the FL-36R from Amazon for $199. Your portrait of the girl could have benefited from some fill flash to brighten her face, since the sun was coming from behind her. I resisted getting one for a while, but it really improved my photos after I picked it up and now I don't leave home without it. Metz also makes flashes fully compatible with Olympus, but I'm not familiar with them. JoeDif recently picked one up though.

Which lens did you take these with? I haven't tried it much, but a lot of people like the 40-150mm lens as a portrait lens. Try searching over at dpreview.com in the Oly forum to find examples and settings.

I'm with you about baby pics! My grandson is 5 months old now and it's getting a lot more difficult to get clear pictures! A flash would also help in this situation to use a faster shutter speed for less motion blur.

Do you use S-AF for focusing? I always use the center point focusing spot and try to focus on the eye, then recompose if I have to.

I feel like portraits is one of my weak points. I have gotten some I really like, but I don't feel very competent taking them. One thing that I've seen reiterated over and over again and that I try and do now is to take LOTS of pictures. You're bound to get a couple of good ones then.

If you do end up wanting a new lens, keep an eye out for rebates. Olympus offers them at times and places like Adorama and BH Photo will sometimes have them marked down in addition to the rebate. I ended up getting my 12-60mm lens, from Adorama I think, for what used lenses are going for now.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #68
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

In good light the 40 - 150 can be a really nice portrait lens. In poor lighting I've found that it hunts focus too much to be effective.

I definitely agree with Lynn about getting a flash. It's amazing how just a bit of fill light can really make a portrait pop. As Lynn also said, the Olympus FL36R is a good choice. New they run about $199, used on Ebay about half that. I just got a Metz 50 AF for $239 and really like it but navigating the menus isn't as simple as the Olympus flash.

My SmugMug

Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #69
kim
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the help! I have the FL 36R flash--just never occurred to use it in sunlight. I'll definitely practice more with it. I have found that it really takes a while to recharge after each flash. I do use the 40-150mm more when taking people pictures as it works much better and I'll check out the Oly forums you suggested. It's a work in progress, but I love it.

Again, thanks for all your advise!!
kim
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #70
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Grand Floridian

My SmugMug

Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #71
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDif View Post
Grand Floridian

Nice, Joe!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #72
Buzzguy
Earning My Ears

Back up to top

Total experiment here. 5 shot handheld HDR. I used a bunch of the NIK filters making this. I need more practice as I couldn't get this more naturalistic. Oh well.

The other side of the view by Scott Future, on Flickr
Buzzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #73
plyeng2ff
DIS Veteran

Olympus Sp 590 uz

Walt Disney World Pop Century Jan. 15-20, 2009
Second Cruise on Disney Wonder to Alaska May 31- June 7, 2011

plyeng2ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #74
plyeng2ff
DIS Veteran