Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Mickey527
DIS Veteran

Clothing sizes then and now

Does anyone know if they have changed the clothing sizes since long ago?
when I was in HS I wore size 10. I weighed 120 lbs back then but remember most of my clothes being size 10. I made my wedding gown and used size 12 patterns becaue patterns used to run small.
I now weigh 145 and wear size 6.
I don't remember seeing size 0 and 2 in the stores when I was in HS, I don't even remember seeing size 6. I think clothing sizes started at size 8.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

I was 120 lbs when I got married and wore a size 6, sometimes a 4. There were size 0 and 2 back when. Weight really isn't the only way to determine size, your body build has a lot more to do with it I think. I usually have to buy up a size because I have more of a square build, but then end up with pants that bag in the legs so they fit my waist. I have broad shoulders and again, buy up a size to fit there but end up having shirts bag around my middle (so I tuck them in more often than not). My DD weighs 140, but is solid muscle, she wears a size 3 in most clothes, sometimes a size 4, sometimes a size 2. If you looked at her you would never guess she weighs as much as she does. I was surprised too because she looks like she weighs about 120. She is pretty slender but again, solid muscle.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
trip
family trip planner

Yes, it's called vanity sizing. The more money you pay for clothes the smaller size you can say you wear.
trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I really don't understand the appeal of vanity sizing. Telling someone who should be a size 20 that they are a size 12 doesn't make them smaller so why do it? If all of a sudden they tell me that pants I wear have a 12" longer inseam I'm not going to be stupid enough to think I managed to grow a foot through the power of magic.

Last edited by FireDancer; 05-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

I just bought size 10 jeans in the same brand I bought size 10 5 years ago (catalog). My old jeans fit and the new ones fall down without a belt. Believe me I did not loose any weight.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey527 View Post
Does anyone know if they have changed the clothing sizes since long ago?
when I was in HS I wore size 10. I weighed 120 lbs back then but remember most of my clothes being size 10. I made my wedding gown and used size 12 patterns becaue patterns used to run small.
I now weigh 145 and wear size 6.
I don't remember seeing size 0 and 2 in the stores when I was in HS, I don't even remember seeing size 6. I think clothing sizes started at size 8.
When I was in h.s. (35yearsago) the clothing (Juniors) dept I shopped in were the odd numbers, 1,3,5,7. After I grew up and got married and had my kiddos I went to the clothing (Womens) dept that is sized 2,4,6,8.

In h.s. I was mostly a 5&7. Since the kiddos I have been an 8. I am 5'6, 133 and have maybe one pair, maybe two pairs of slacks that are a 6. But I am an 8, 99% of the time when I am shopping both dresses, jeans, tops. etc.

I was very confused by the recent revelations of both Kristi Alley (DWTS)
and Jeana Keogh (RHofOC) stating that they are a size 6. If they are a 6, makes me a negative 0!!!

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
DisneyCher
Mouseketeer

What year were you in high school, OP? I rememebr sizes 00, 0 and 2 back in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

And I have found that there are so many variants in womens' clothes - the 6, 10 or 20 [or whatever] really don't correlate to a specific measurement - that I can buy a size 8 in the same style pants but different colors and still find minor size variations.

I recently noticed a big difference in the width of a pair of shoes made in China versus one made in India (same style, same color, same brand) - the Chinese pair was much more narrow.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

back in HS (1975) the sizes were 3, 5, 7, 9 - it was very very rare to find a 1 or a 0 (both of which i would have fit into since i weighed 90 lbs, had i been able to find them then) - even size 3 was scarce - usually would buy size 5 and have a tailor take in the jeans to fit

now, i'm 118 lbs and wear a size 6 (when did sizes go "even"??!!) - depending on the brand (Lee, Levi, anything at Kohls..) i might be able to squeeze into a 4 (breathing optional)

seriously: kirstie alley is a size 6???!!! - in which alternate universe??!!

i'm with you Momrek06 - if kirstie is a 6, i'm a negative 0!!!!
suzimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post

I was very confused by the recent revelations of both Kristi Alley (DWTS)
and Jeana Keogh (RHofOC) stating that they are a size 6. If they are a 6, makes me a negative 0!!!
wait, what? Um.... that sounds a little off to me.

Sizes in general are so weird to me. Like when I read the People issue that talks about the people that have lost over 100 lbs and what they weigh now and what size they wear. I sometimes weigh what they weigh and don't wear anything like that size. Like the OP. She mentioned that she weighs 145 and wears a size 6. I just weighed myself yesterday and I weigh 144. I wear a size 10 or 12. I would love to wear a size 6! sure it has a lot to do with height too. I'm 5'10, so maybe I make up for it that way? I hate sizes. And I've never heard of this vanity sizing thing. weird.

edited: I just found this quote from Kirstie Alley:

“I started out Dancing with the Stars in a size 12, then an 8, and then I think next week I’ll be in a 6. The real size I want to be in is probably a 4 or a 6. That’s where I look best.”

… says Kirstie.

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagirl87 View Post
wait, what? Um.... that sounds a little off to me.

Sizes in general are so weird to me. Like when I read the People issue that talks about the people that have lost over 100 lbs and what they weigh now and what size they wear. I sometimes weigh what they weigh and don't wear anything like that size. Like the OP. She mentioned that she weighs 145 and wears a size 6. I just weighed myself yesterday and I weigh 144. I wear a size 10 or 12. I would love to wear a size 6! sure it has a lot to do with height too. I'm 5'10, so maybe I make up for it that way? I hate sizes. And I've never heard of this vanity sizing thing. weird.

edited: I just found this quote from Kirstie Alley:

“I started out Dancing with the Stars in a size 12, then an 8, and then I think next week I’ll be in a 6. The real size I want to be in is probably a 4 or a 6. That’s where I look best.”

… says Kirstie.
I read somewhere that it depends a lot on brands. Apparently the higher end brands run their sizing different, so something that is a size 6 in a $$$$$ brand might be the same as a size 10 in a $ brand. I have no personal knowledge of this, as I only shop in $ type stores
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzimar57 View Post
back in HS (1975) the sizes were 3, 5, 7, 9 - it was very very rare to find a 1 or a 0 (both of which i would have fit into since i weighed 90 lbs, had i been able to find them then) - even size 3 was scarce - usually would buy size 5 and have a tailor take in the jeans to fit

now, i'm 118 lbs and wear a size 6 (when did sizes go "even"??!!) - depending on the brand (Lee, Levi, anything at Kohls..) i might be able to squeeze into a 4 (breathing optional)

seriously: kirstie alley is a size 6???!!! - in which alternate universe??!!

i'm with you Momrek06 - if kirstie is a 6, i'm a negative 0!!!!
Even sizes are Misses, odd sizes are Juniors. At least thats how it was explained to me.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagirl87 View Post
Sizes in general are so weird to me. Like when I read the People issue that talks about the people that have lost over 100 lbs and what they weigh now and what size they wear. I sometimes weigh what they weigh and don't wear anything like that size.
Yes! This! Drives me crazy! I am pretty "average" to thin. I am always amazed when people that weigh more than me say they are wearing a smaller size
preschoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Even sizes are Misses, odd sizes are Juniors. At least thats how it was explained to me.
YES, you are right…I stated Womens when indeed I believe Womens tends to be the Plus sizes or the sizes that come after Misses size 20.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

I'm 5'7 and some inches.

I've been wearing Size 16 for a really long time (probably 20 years). Recently the last few pants I've bought are size 14!! But guess what? I haven't lost a pound!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I really don't understand the appeal of vanity sizing. Telling someone who should be a size 20 that they are a size 12 doesn't make them smaller so why do it? If all of a sudden they tell me that pants I wear have a 12" longer inseam I'm not going to be stupid enough to think I managed to grow a foot through the power of magic.
If you don't know it's happening, it can make you feel a little confused, but also a little better about yourself.

If you do know it's happening, it feels rotten.

In the mid-90 I was buying a ton of clothes, and there were two size shifts during that time.

I only noticed b/c I got to talking with clothing store people when I bought a pair of pants in one size one week, then had to buy a size smaller the next week. She said their stock had switched to the new sizing.

In the VERY early 90s I was a bridesmaid and a dress was made for me from a pattern. By measurements I was a size 13, which was absolutely destructive to my mind. But street sizing said I was a 9.

The difference has gotten worse since then....

Basically if a woman goes to buy a wedding dress, she'll figure out her true size, the one she would have known if she were getting clothes in the 50s or so. And unlike with fashion designers, the more expensive the wedding gown, the closer to reality the number on that tag is going to be!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: