Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #16
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I'm in!! I am very embarrassed to say that I live 40 miles south of D.C. and have only visited it twice in 9 1/2 years (I know....shame on me!)

I came to screeching halt when viewing your pics...was that Dumbo? In one of the museums?!! Can't wait to read more
You caught the Disney reference!!!

Oh… wait a minute; I got that out of order…

Welcome! I’m glad to have you along for the ride.
Now then…

You caught the Disney reference!!!

That most certainly is one of the “cars” form the original “Dumbo” ride at Disneyland. It's located in the Smithsonian Museum of American History. You’ll find it along side Edith & Archie’s chairs, Fonzie’s jacket and Dorothy’s ruby slippers.

Like I said, our week in DC was a smashing success, so I selfishly decided to add a little plug for that trip here as well. It was worth a TR of it’s own, but being as this is the Dis Boards, I figured I’d better not dwell too long on it. Now having said that, please feel free to ask questions about that trip as well (and that goes for the rest of y’all too).

BTW: Here’s another “Hidden Mickey" that I found in a compleatly different part of the Smithsonian:
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Chapter 2: A Diabolical Plan

As I said, this expedition was not supposed to happen. We’ve done “The Mouse” before (many times before) but we keep coming back because we just love the way that Disney does things. So despite having other plans in the works, I still really wanted to go back down to The World (selfish I know). With this in mind… I set a diabolical plan into motion.

First, I started a discussion on what all everyone wanted for Christmas that year. I knew what the important answers would be, because they’re usually the same in our house. I wanted everyone to keep their money and not buy me anything (which they never do). Max really didn’t want anything specific either so he said that cash would be best. Disclaimer time… This is normal for all the guys on my side of the family. We love the Christmas season and especially the family gatherings that generally take place, but we just aren’t so big on the gift receiving aspect (gift giving is a different matter, especially to charity). I certainly don’t mind giving gifts to others; I just don’t really want any given back to me (I think I just repeated myself). What I need I already have and the unnecessary things I might want are entirely too expensive to be given as gifts... By anyone… But this point of view is neither normal nor very “Modern American” and causes problems for everyone else, as you’ll see.

The wife’s family is far more traditional (and far more normal). It’s not a materialistic thing either (so don’t read that into the story). They’re also a very family oriented bunch, but there was always an importance assigned to giving a good, thoughtful gift and on giving one that was both wanted and would be enjoyed for years to come. Needless to say, Tamara was just frustrated by the fact the boys (and for the ump-teenth time, mind you) didn’t know what they wanted and for that matter never knew what the wanted. So she retaliated by pointing out that every man in this house was more stubborn then an old cat, and that included our old cat (and she’s right on this point as well). So, for that reason she was also refusing to pick anything for herself. Luckily for me, this is exactly the result I was looking for (yah… I should be beaten, but it get’s better I promise).

Given this set up, (and a little bit of time for all to calm down) I then suggested that we skip the expense of presents entirely (for each other that is) and go down to Disney during the Christmas season. It’s something that we’d all enjoy and besides, memories are better then things (and believe me, I wish I’d learned that last part years ago because it just gets truer and more evident with each passing year). From this point it didn’t take all that long to talk her into at least looking at what kind of deals were available. Of course that would lead to the next hurdle. There are plenty of good deals at Disney during the early part of December, but (as all you veterans know) not generally during the week of Christmas. We, however, are bound to the school calendar, so traveling earlier in the month wasn’t happening. At first we considered staying off site, which would have been fine, but I really like being in the World. Options-2: was to stay at Pop Century (which we really like) and try to eat on the cheap (which we can do if necessary). But then Option-3 reared it head in the form of a DDP offer, which allowed us to upgrade to a moderate resort, for 4 nights with meals included for only a little more then we were originally budgeting for the room and park tickets in the first place.

That settled it. We were going. We were staying at Port Orleans – Riverside (which would be a new resort for us). We were going to be “On World” during Christmas time (which we’d never done before). And, based on those fateful decisions we would end up adding another highly enjoyable trip to Disney, but we’d also learn a few new lessons along the way.

More to come…

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 05-09-2011 at 07:02 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #18
BookTrout
Earning My Ears

Hey, this looks so interesting and I really enjoy seeing the Capital photos. I would love to go there and spend a week sometime but, for now I'll just be visiting through your pics. Can't wait to read your WDW TR, too.
Sharon
Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookTrout View Post
Hey, this looks so interesting and I really enjoy seeing the Capital photos. I would love to go there and spend a week sometime but, for now I'll just be visiting through your pics. Can't wait to read your WDW TR, too.
Sharon
Howdy Sharon and welcome aboard.
I’m honestly surprised that I’ve attracted any interest at all. My English teachers would certainly be stunned (based on the grades they generally gave me). If you get the chance to visit DC, take it. You’ll see much and learn much.

If all y’all keep asking, I might just have to post additional DC pictures every once and a while. Kind’a like a PSA randomly distributed throughout the TR.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #20
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Love the DC trip pictures...anxiously awaiting more trip report
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
Love the DC trip pictures...anxiously awaiting more trip report
Thanks for joining in Steve. Glad to have another Mountain Man along for the ride.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip…
Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Well butter my buns and call me biscuits… I really didn’t expect to hear this much response form the Washington DC pictures. Since I’m still in the process of writing up the next chapter, and I’ve gotten such tremendous (and unexpected) response to those images…

Here are a few more to tide you over while I finish spiffing up the next segment.

The USS Maine Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery
With the Canada Memorial in the foreground

Part of the World War II Veteran’s Memorial
Between The Lincoln and Washington Monuments in the center of the Mall

The Revolutionary War Gun Boat: USS Philadelphia
In the Smithsonian Museum of American History

I’d also like to take this opportunity to talk about pictures. I intend to post a good number of them within the confines of this Trip Report, but as I’m sure you’ve noticed, the image quality is only so-so. It’s an equipment thing. I don’t have the best camera, so I’m hoping that at least I have composed interesting pictures for y’all to look at. The next thing you’ll notice is that there won’t be a lot of pictures of “Us”. I’m usually taking them, so I don’t show up very often in them. Everyone else in my house is rather camera shy. Despite my pointing out to my “Lovely” over and over that I believe she’s absolutely beautiful, and meaning it, she just won’t have it. And the boy is typical of all teenage guys. He’ll let you take the picture if he can’t possibly get out of it (meaning only if it’s a direct order), but smiles ain’t happening (except under extreme circumstances).
Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,8)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Old 05-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherem I Now View Post
Welcome sir, welcome.
Glad to have one of our founding members along for the festivities. Anyone who can hang on through all 10 DDC threads is deserving of an honored spot in the doghou… errrr…. At the table, yah that’s it, an honored spot at the table.

So… When are y’all leaving for Port Canaveral? I’m looking forward to hearing your reaction to that trip.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Welcome sir, welcome.
Glad to have one of our founding members along for the festivities. Anyone who can hang on through all 10 DDC threads is deserving of an honored spot in the doghou… errrr…. At the table, yah that’s it, an honored spot at the table.
I'm a glutten for punishment

Quote:
So… When are y’all leaving for Port Canaveral? I’m looking forward to hearing your reaction to that trip.
Just got back this past weekend. Ready to go back!
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,8)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Old 05-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #26
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Chapter 3 / Part 1: D Day

Driving is our normal method of transit to The World. I live in SC (also known as the “State of Succession”), but I’m only 5 miles as the crow flies from the boarder of the next state to the north. The nearest airport is CLT. Unfortunately, that also happens to be a hub airport for US Air (also known as “Agony Air”) and that means that there is dang little competition and certainly no Southwest flights (and therefore no affordable flights to anywhere much less MCO). On the up side… It’s only about 8ish hours to Orlando, so the drive is not that awful. We decided that it would be nice to get into our first park fairly early on Saturday (our first day on site), so we planed to head out on the Friday before and camp out somewhere else the first night. One little problem though… School wasn’t yet out for the winter break. They kids had to be there that one more day.

Now this particular subject is a whole lot like a live hand grenade on these boards. It generally results in some very strong responses and recriminations (and even a tantrum or two). So, “let me say this about that”… Every family, child, school system, schooling method, and set of circumstances is different, so I ain’t one to pass judgment on anyone else for the decisions they make. That being said, this is how we feel about it. My boy attends a public school system (which I like and support) and were he still in the first three or four grades of elementary school, I might also have considered taking him out earlier in the month. Probable not if he were still in middle school, and defiantly not now that he’s in high school (at least not for more then a day or two at the maximum because they expect too much out of them and move too quickly). Max also had a major algebra test that morning, but he checked with his teachers, and the afternoon was clear. As such, we decided to take him out this one time just as he would have been heading for lunch and then we’d hit the road.

I was off work that day, so I packed up the car and showed up at school at about 11:30. Originally I was thinking it would be 12:30, but I was off by an hour (so much the better). Now I’ve never tried to do this before, and was ignorant of the exact nuance and phrase required to extract a child from school at mid-day. So I walked into the office and started asking how you go about picking your young’en up early and expecting a whole lot of grief would be heading my way very quickly. The folks at the counter point me to the attendance clerk and I re-explain the situation. She digs into her files. When she finds my son’s records, she gives them a read and then exclaims, “Lord, I wish all my other students had attendance records like this!” She said that there was no reason for me to worry about this one little half of a day and didn’t even need the “Parental Sign-out Letter” that I’d spent a good bit of time trying to compose correctly. That was easy. Too easy… So I figured I’d have to pay for that somewhere else. That somewhere else would end up being the weather (but I digress)

We now pause for a brief intermission. Please remaine seated in your time vehicle and Chapter Three will continue momentarily.

In the mean time, this Trip Report proudly presents… One of our feature entertainment extravaganzas!!! Making a special and previously unscheduled stop in their critically acclaimed world tour… I Give You!!!!!

............THE DANCING FEDERALES!!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #27
nat1234
Mouseketeer

I like the pictures of your Nation's Capital. One day I would love to go to the Smithsonion (sp?) and Mount Vernon. I know how you feel about pulling your child from high school. My youngest just started high school and I can't imagine pulling her out right now. Great start so far. I can't wait to read more.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #28
nutz2notz
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying your report so far and love the DC pictures.

I won't judge you on taking the kid out of school as I have been known to do that more than once myself!

Looking forward to your next update.

June 2013: OKW
December 2012: SSR June 2012: OKW
March 2011: OKW First Solo
Janaury 2011: SSR then AKV Kidani
January 2010: Grand Californian
December 2007: SSR
January 2007: SSR
January 1996: Offsite
Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #29
mkandjpsmom
Mouseketeer

Great trip report so far! The DC pictures are great. We took a trip to DC about 9 years ago and loved it. I can't wait to hear about Christmas at WDW!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #30
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Looking good so far. I've been to DC a couple of times and absolutely love the history and significance of everything there. I had the honor of spending some time there for work when I was with the USDA. It was in July/August and was hotter than hot, but it was awesome walking outside after a day at work and seeing the Washington monument right in front of me. I love the pictures!

Quote:
So despite having other plans in the works, I still really wanted to go back down to The World (selfish I know). With this in mind…
So, what exactly is the selfish part?

Quote:
I set a diabolical plan into motion.
Diabolical is the best kind of plan!

Quote:
First, I started a discussion on what all everyone wanted for Christmas that year.

Given this set up, (and a little bit of time for all to calm down) I then suggested that we skip the expense of presents entirely (for each other that is) and go down to Disney during the Christmas season. It’s something that we’d all enjoy and besides, memories are better then things (and believe me, I wish I’d learned that last part years ago because it just gets truer and more evident with each passing year).
That is awesome! Great strategic play there.
That is kind of what our plan is for this year. We're just going to do Disney as our gift to each other.

Quote:
Now this particular subject is a whole lot like a live hand grenade on these boards.
Eh... to each his own. I don't even get why people argue about it. I personally probably wouldn't pull my kid out for vacation, but a half a day never hurt anybody. And if you wanted to pull him out for a week, that'd be between you, him and the teachers, not somebody on a message board that doesn't even know you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: