Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #91
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_stace View Post
Oh Katie you're a real pal! Thanks for the offer! I do usually pick up a mix when I head across the border (I keep American food stockpiles! Cherry coke, cornbread, toaster streudles, yoplait whipped yogurt and red velvet cake mix - plus a stop at Olive Garden! ) but we all know I don't have amazing cooking skills and I swear it has never come out right! Never! I don't know how I screw it up but it's always dry and crumbly....gross! I guess it's good that I can't have it all the time or it wouldn't feel like a treat anymore! Just promise you'll think of me when you eat it!
You know you can add stuff to it, like a can of creamed corn, a can of Mexican corn, or some cheese and/or taco meat, maybe sausage.... and make it have different flavors and textures. Check out allrecipes.com for a million recipes along with reviews. You can do a lot with a package of cornbread mix.

Cherry Coke - I rarely drink sodas, but Cherry Coke is one of my favorite ones when I do.

Katie - get ready to count on ONE HAND how many days you have left!
And then you have to have THREE HANDS to count how many days you're staying!
Man, you are livin' right!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #92
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
only 6 days - woo hoo!!!
If I don't count the rest of today...I'm down to 4 NOT READY!!!!

Quote:
Oh Katie you're a real pal! Thanks for the offer! I do usually pick up a mix when I head across the border (I keep American food stockpiles! Cherry coke, cornbread, toaster streudles, yoplait whipped yogurt and red velvet cake mix - plus a stop at Olive Garden! ) but we all know I don't have amazing cooking skills and I swear it has never come out right! Never! I don't know how I screw it up but it's always dry and crumbly....gross! I guess it's good that I can't have it all the time or it wouldn't feel like a treat anymore! Just promise you'll think of me when you eat it!

Congratulations on less than a week to go!
Just let me know, I'll be happy to send a package of USA yumminess! However, I think I will not attempt to send the beloved Olive Garden, you'll just have to make a trip for yourself for that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
You know you can add stuff to it, like a can of creamed corn, a can of Mexican corn, or some cheese and/or taco meat, maybe sausage.... and make it have different flavors and textures. Check out allrecipes.com for a million recipes along with reviews. You can do a lot with a package of cornbread mix.
One of our family's favorite has sour cream, creamed corn, kernel corn, corn muffin mix and a little sugar. SO yummy! Super easy and a big hit at potluck dinners! The only problem is we rarely get many leftovers to bring home

Quote:
Katie - get ready to count on ONE HAND how many days you have left!
And then you have to have THREE HANDS to count how many days you're staying!
Man, you are livin' right!
Oooh, I do love the way you think MeMom!!

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #93
kschafer
DIS Veteran

One more day with kids tomorrow, a weekend to prepare and a final workday on Monday SO excited I have managed to cross off a few things from my to-do list but still have a lot to do. I realize it's a lot but am not panicking...yet

I havenít really done much sharing of our plans (other than the all important food issue of course!) So I thought I would jot down our must-doís for each parkÖ.

Magic Kingdom Ė we have a lot of them so itís a good thing we have 3 days scheduled!
  • Pretty much all of Fantasyland LOL! Itís the classics and we love them!
  • The 3 mountains, Iím very excited the boys think they are ready for these
  • Haunted Mansion, but only for Greg and I, the boys do NOT want to ride!
  • Pirates of the Caribbean and hopefully catch the pirate tutorial!
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Monsters Laugh Floor
  • Honestly, there is very little we donít want to do (Stitch is the only thing I refuse to do) so our days will have some strategy in terms of ride order and FP use but mostly we will focus on a couple lands each day and hit up a second time the ones that we want most

Epcot Ė
  • Soarin of course, and no visit to the land would be complete without seeing Living with the land!
  • The seas and Turtle Talk
  • Test Track
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Explore WS including several Kim Possible missions
  • Again, not much I wouldnít do here but with only 2 days Iím sure we wonít get to it all

DHS Ė
  • TSMM of course!
  • Star Tours, Iím sure several times
  • Indiana Jones
  • Lights Motors Action
  • ToT and RnR for Greg and I only, another the boys have no interest in
  • Muppets
  • One Manís Dream
  • Animation Academy

Animal Kingdom Ė
Pretty much I think we will try to hit everything here since we will spend most of 2 days. The only one we will likely skip is Itís tough to be a Bug, not sure the boys will enjoy that one!

Water Parks Ė
Iím still a bit fuzzy on all the different rides. None of us particularly enjoy slides that are enclosed but like just about any open slides and definitely love the lazy river!
I anticipate each of our visits will only be 2-3 hours so we will more or less wing it

DTD Ė
  • OK, Iím really not a big shopper ( please donít disown me!) so we will browse a bit through a few of the main shops Ė World of Disney, Once upon a Toy, Basin and Goofyís
  • DisneyQuest, we will either love this and spend lots of time here or do once or twice to see what itís all about and move on

Iím really working to find the balance between planning all the things I want us to be able to experience and allowing ourselves to go with the flow a bit and do what feels right at the time. Most everything will still be there when we come back again!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #94
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Hi, I'm here! Better late than never!

- Katie

Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #95
MeMom
DIS Veteran

If you can, try to go to Toy Story Midway Mania on a Saturday or Sunday. That's when Ed (Cheena's dad) works. He's a nice guy.

How about Ridemakerz and Lego Store at DTD for the boys?

Doing a few things and having lots of pool and rest time will make for nice days for everyone. I love our long trips.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #96
sunny_stace
DIS Veteran

Those must-do's are definitely pretty awesome! Just kickin' back and relaxing and doing things at your own pace and not commando pace is nice!

I bet the boys would like Stitch though...At AK though I don't know if the boys would like Dinosaur - it scares me! Im surprised you think they wouldn't like Its Tough To Be A Bug! Do you think it's the pretend bug spray? Thats where I usually hear the most children crying.

I'm afraid I am no help with planning for waterparks. I've never been to a Disney one...I'm not a waterslide girl. Everything else sounds pretty awesome! I'm anxious to hear about DisneyQuest at DTD....and don't worry about not enjoying the shopping! I'm sure the rest of us do enough of it for you!

Quote:

Cherry Coke - I rarely drink sodas, but Cherry Coke is one of my favorite ones when I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
Just let me know, I'll be happy to send a package of USA yumminess! However, I think I will not attempt to send the beloved Olive Garden, you'll just have to make a trip for yourself for that one!

One of our family's favorite has sour cream, creamed corn, kernel corn, corn muffin mix and a little sugar. SO yummy! Super easy and a big hit at potluck dinners! The only problem is we rarely get many leftovers to bring home
Thanks for the tips ladies. I don't know about putting actually large kernals of corn and I don't eat much that's spicey (like taco meat or sausage) but I will definitely look into the sour cream and sugar idea! That should help it be sweet and stay moist! Usually when I try it's extra-dry and crumbly and tastes like sour cardboard bits! Don't worry Katie, I'm only about an hour from Michigan so I can take care of the Olive Garden I have tried to bring it back with me in a cooler but it doesn't travel well....I wouldn't mind that cornbread recipe that your family loves! Perhaps if you have time when you come back all nice and relaxed....lucky!

MeMom - there was one summer about 10 years ago when all of a sudden we got cherry coke and vanilla coke and then as quickly as we got it, they took it away.... I don't understand why these companies feel that Americans deserve flavoured sodas but we Canadians have to go without I'm just glad I live close enough that I can drive down and stock up on it! I watch the target and meijer flyers and buy multiple cases when it's on sale!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #97
MEK
DIS Veteran

on the Must Do's, although I am surprised the kids don't want to do HM. Maybe they will change their minds.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #98
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Four days!! I bet you are going to have a fun weekend getting ready.

Congrats for getting Teppan Edo. I haven't eaten there but it's on my list and as MeMom said an experience in addition to dinner.

Your must dos look great. So much fun you have ahead of you!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #99
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
Hi, I'm here! Better late than never!

- Katie
Yay Glad you found me!!

Quote:
If you can, try to go to Toy Story Midway Mania on a Saturday or Sunday. That's when Ed (Cheena's dad) works. He's a nice guy.

How about Ridemakerz and Lego Store at DTD for the boys?

Doing a few things and having lots of pool and rest time will make for nice days for everyone. I love our long trips.
Hmm..we do have a DHS day on a Sunday, I'll have to remember to look for Ed!

How could I have forgotten the LEGO store!!! I'm certain we will spend much time and $$ there!

Quote:
Those must-do's are definitely pretty awesome! Just kickin' back and relaxing and doing things at your own pace and not commando pace is nice!

I bet the boys would like Stitch though...At AK though I don't know if the boys would like Dinosaur - it scares me! Im surprised you think they wouldn't like Its Tough To Be A Bug! Do you think it's the pretend bug spray? Thats where I usually hear the most children crying.

I'm afraid I am no help with planning for waterparks. I've never been to a Disney one...I'm not a waterslide girl. Everything else sounds pretty awesome! I'm anxious to hear about DisneyQuest at DTD....and don't worry about not enjoying the shopping! I'm sure the rest of us do enough of it for you!

Thanks for the tips ladies. I don't know about putting actually large kernals of corn and I don't eat much that's spicey (like taco meat or sausage) but I will definitely look into the sour cream and sugar idea! That should help it be sweet and stay moist! Usually when I try it's extra-dry and crumbly and tastes like sour cardboard bits! Don't worry Katie, I'm only about an hour from Michigan so I can take care of the Olive Garden I have tried to bring it back with me in a cooler but it doesn't travel well....I wouldn't mind that cornbread recipe that your family loves! Perhaps if you have time when you come back all nice and relaxed....lucky!

MeMom - there was one summer about 10 years ago when all of a sudden we got cherry coke and vanilla coke and then as quickly as we got it, they took it away.... I don't understand why these companies feel that Americans deserve flavoured sodas but we Canadians have to go without I'm just glad I live close enough that I can drive down and stock up on it! I watch the target and meijer flyers and buy multiple cases when it's on sale!
The boys did say they want to do Stitch but that will have to be a Dad thing cause I'm NOT doing it! I explained Dinosaur to them and they both said they want to do it ITTBAB, I think the seat effects will freak them out more than anything

I'm not a huge pool person honestly but I do like a good waterslide and love a few laps on the lazy river! As long as they don't want to stay all day, I'll be good I think!

Here ya go!
Corn Casserole
1/2 c melted margarine
8 oz sour cream
2 beaten eggs
1 can cream style corn
1 can corn kernels
1/2 c sugar
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix (if you don't have Jiffy, it's a 8.5 oz box)

Mix ingredients one at a time in the order listed
Pour into greased 9x13 pan
bake 45-60 min at 350 degrees until the edges are browned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
on the Must Do's, although I am surprised the kids don't want to do HM. Maybe they will change their minds.
someday I hope they'll change their minds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Four days!! I bet you are going to have a fun weekend getting ready.

Congrats for getting Teppan Edo. I haven't eaten there but it's on my list and as MeMom said an experience in addition to dinner.

Your must dos look great. So much fun you have ahead of you!!!
Can't wait can't wait I don't think Teppan Edo will be my favorite meal ever but I look forward to the experience

Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #100
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Today brought the final day of school with kids A work day on Monday and this year is a wrap

On Tuesday, Daniel came home from school complaining of a tummy ache. he wound up with fluids coming from both ends (sorry if that's TMI!) He stayed home with Greg on Wednesday. This morning Greg said he wasn't feeling well and by lunch was complaining that he had no energy at all. Right after lunch, we got a call from the school nurse informing us Patrick had thrown up at school this morning.

SO that's 3 out of 4 of us...send healthy thoughts that I don't get it next! Daniel is pretty much normal again today so if they time out the same, Greg and Patrick will both be OK by Monday.

My to-do list for the weekend is quite long, mostly things I need to do at home to be ready but tomorrow morning I have several errands: bank to get $$, post office to stop mail, YMCA to make deposit on Patrick's b-day party, mall to find new shorts for me and the boys and haircuts for all the males in the house.

Once that is done I will focus on cleaning the house and doing laundry before packing, which I hope to have done by Sunday night.

Hopefully our van which is in the shop waiting for a new part to come in will get done on Monday! We plan to have it loaded up before we head to bed Monday night

Last edited by kschafer; 06-03-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #101
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

OH NO!!!!! This is not the update we want to see with a few days to go!

Fingers crossed everyone is healthy and raring to go by departure day.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #102
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Oh no Katie!!!! I'm sending lots of pixie dust your way that everyone gets healthy fast and that you don't get sick!!!! Take lots of Vitamin C and drink a lot of fluids!!

Can't wait to see you soon!!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #103
Megablocks
DIS Veteran

Oh no! Hoping everyone is healthy and feeling better by Monday

In the moments of our lives
Both the joyous and the tragic
If the truth is to be told
We are all pursuing magic

1994: CBR // 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004: POR // 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013: Pop Century
Next: May 2014, Pop Century!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #104
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Get well soon everybody -
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: