Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #31
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Great reveal!
And 15 days in Disney sounds just perfect.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #32
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
What a great reveal!! I love the SW puzzle how creative!!!! I need to write down these ideas for the future!!! LOVE IT!!!

WOW your chain looks awesome! I'm sure the boys are having a great time taking a piece down everyday!! Especially with school almost being done!!!

Girls' Trip TR The link to our TR for the East Meets West Girls Only Trip
After I wrote that message to MEK, I decided to go back and look in her siggie and found the link...I'm in, no way I would miss the stories from this zany crew!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Great reveal!
And 15 days in Disney sounds just perfect.
Hi Jennifer! Glad you have you along!!

So somehow I managed to overlook the WHERE in my first post! (and it only took comments from 3 of you for me to catch on that you weren't poor readers...it's actually not there )

Sorry about that!

We talked about various options like POFQ, CB (thinking the boys would love a pirate room!) and possibly a split stay to rent points for BCV (oh how lovely SAB sounds in June!)

In the end, Free Dining was the deciding factor! The summer dining offer was for the QS plan at both value and moderate resorts so really we didn't see any advantage to paying for a moderate. We also weren't going to give up free dining in order to move for a split stay (and once our trip turned into 15 nights, we added the WPF&M so SAB can wait for another trip)

Our choice was for the value resort we have heard the best things about and one the boys have seen pictures of and fell in love with...

POP Century!! When the boys read the message on the puzzle, Patrick's first question was "we're going THIS summer?" and second was "are we staying at POP Century?" We are hoping for a room in the 50's section but I would be happy in the 60's too. I want a lakeview room and Greg and the kids hope for a poolview...we'll see who wins

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #33
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post

Be still, my heart!!!
I hope you love it there!

Just keep in mind it is not a moderate or a deluxe or a DVC. If you acknowledge that going in, you will be fine. I think you'll like the food court and the shopping.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #34
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Only 3 weeks to go til your trip!! I'm so excited about the "two weeks" aspect that I didn't even notice you hadn't told us where you were staying!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #35
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

I adore POP Century!!! I am really really looking forward to the Animator's Studios when it opens up!! You guys will have a great time there!!! The food court is a lot of fun and has a lot of options!!!! I love the pools and decor!!!

YAY

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #36
Megablocks
DIS Veteran

AHH Pop Century! Like MeMom and Jill, that is our Disney "home." As MeMom said, it's definitely not a DVC, moderate, or deluxe resort, but it's a really cute, fun atmosphere. They also play all sorts of fun music on the grounds, and on the bus, and they do the Hustle in the food court every evening at around the same time, I think. I'm so excited for you!

In the moments of our lives
Both the joyous and the tragic
If the truth is to be told
We are all pursuing magic

1994: CBR // 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004: POR // 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013: Pop Century
Next: May 2014, Pop Century!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 AM   #37
MEK
DIS Veteran

You MUST have a lake view! It is essential. It's like a quiet little oasis back there. I love the 50's, although I had a very nice room in the 70's overlooking the lake and that was quite nice too.

YEah for free dining and POP century!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #38
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Be still, my heart!!!
I hope you love it there!

Just keep in mind it is not a moderate or a deluxe or a DVC. If you acknowledge that going in, you will be fine. I think you'll like the food court and the shopping.
Honestly, my requirements for a hotel are pretty minimal...clean and well maintained which I think I can count on at any Disney hotel. I do love the idea that the rooms are all recently refurbed. We just figured our time would be mostly spent away from the resort so why pay more than we need to I talked with my brother this weekend (who has stayed at POP twice) and he was excited to hear that's where we are staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Only 3 weeks to go til your trip!! I'm so excited about the "two weeks" aspect that I didn't even notice you hadn't told us where you were staying!
3 weeks from this moment we will be somewhere over eastern Iowa on our way Funny how when I tell Disers I am going for 2 weeks, they think it's awesome, when I tell non-Disers, they think I'm nuts I told someone the other day and they said "so you are doing Orlando for 2 weeks right?" "Nope, just Disney"

Quote:
I adore POP Century!!! I am really really looking forward to the Animator's Studios when it opens up!! You guys will have a great time there!!! The food court is a lot of fun and has a lot of options!!!! I love the pools and decor!!!

YAY
My brother is planning their next vacation (this weekend was the 600 day mark ) and we were comparing POP with the new resort to figure out which would be better for their family now that they are a family of 5.

I can't wait to get there and get me a drink and sit by the hippy dippy pool. I will know we have arrrived then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megablocks View Post
AHH Pop Century! Like MeMom and Jill, that is our Disney "home." As MeMom said, it's definitely not a DVC, moderate, or deluxe resort, but it's a really cute, fun atmosphere. They also play all sorts of fun music on the grounds, and on the bus, and they do the Hustle in the food court every evening at around the same time, I think. I'm so excited for you!
I don't know how to do the hustle, I might have to learn! (Greg knew once upon a time but he doesn't dance now ) I have no doubt the kids will just love POP! Even if POP isn't my first choice, that goes a long way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
You MUST have a lake view! It is essential. It's like a quiet little oasis back there. I love the 50's, although I had a very nice room in the 70's overlooking the lake and that was quite nice too.

YEah for free dining and POP century!
I really do hope for a lakeview room. I think that would be the one thing that will help my enjoyment. The values haven't always appealed to me because of their theming (I prefer to come back from the parks to a calm, relaxed environment so I have really enjoyed my stays at OKW and CSR)

The 50's is the boys choice, they love the bowling pin pool! I also put the 60's on my request but they think it's a bit too "girly"

Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #39
Megablocks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
I don't know how to do the hustle, I might have to learn! (Greg knew once upon a time but he doesn't dance now ) I have no doubt the kids will just love POP! Even if POP isn't my first choice, that goes a long way!
I actually think that the CM's hold a sign with pictures detailing the steps! My dad wanted me to get up there and do it with them and every time I said I didn't know how, he pointed out that they had the sign

We haven't stayed in the 50's, but we have stayed in the 80's, and the 70's twice. I love seeing all the different years and their different themes!

In the moments of our lives
Both the joyous and the tragic
If the truth is to be told
We are all pursuing magic

1994: CBR // 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004: POR // 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013: Pop Century
Next: May 2014, Pop Century!

Last edited by Megablocks; 05-18-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #40
manntra
DIS Veteran

Yay for free dining....now on to the dining feature please!! You will have my rapt attention!!
Two weeks of fun, fun, fun!!! I bet your boys can't wait! And you too!!

Tracy
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #41
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megablocks View Post
I actually think that the CM's hold a sign with pictures detailing the steps! My dad wanted me to get up there and do it with them and every time I said I didn't know how, he pointed out that they had the sign

We haven't stayed in the 50's, but we have stayed in the 80's, and the 70's twice. I love seeing all the different years and their different themes!
maybe I will give it a try! I wonder if I can convince the boys to do it with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Yay for free dining....now on to the dining feature please!! You will have my rapt attention!!
Two weeks of fun, fun, fun!!! I bet your boys can't wait! And you too!!

Tracy
Probably a dining update tonight!!

today my countdown starts with a 1!! So excited I can now count the days on my fingers and toes (and the weather is finally warm enough I can consider shoes to let me see my toes )

Old 05-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #42
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

YAY for countdown starting with a 1 YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!

Do you know that if it weren't for my ticker I would have no idea how many days I had left, I think I'm less than two weeks LOL!! And the fact I have no idea how I'm packing myself into a suitcase still haven't talked about ADRs, have grades and a room to finish up....oy oy oy oy oy!!!! That's all I have to say!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #43
Happy Elf
DIS Veteran

You will have so much fun at Pop! We loved it there!

Our July 2011 TR: Surf, Sun, and Big Family FUN! Our July 2011 PTR: Big Family Fun...Hopefully!
Our 2009 PTR: Twice the Excitement, Twice the Fun Our 2009 TR:Plans Change with a 4 year old!

Honeymoon-Yacht Club July 2001 All Star Movies July 2003 Hannah's First Trip-All Star Movies September 2006 Owen's First Trip-Pop Century June 2009 Our 10 year Anniversary - Caribbean Beach July 2011
Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #44
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:

YAY for countdown starting with a 1 YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!

Do you know that if it weren't for my ticker I would have no idea how many days I had left, I think I'm less than two weeks LOL!! And the fact I have no idea how I'm packing myself into a suitcase still haven't talked about ADRs, have grades and a room to finish up....oy oy oy oy oy!!!! That's all I have to say!!!
I'm betting you are enough of a pro to make the trip fantastic even if you do it on the fly! How will you manage to travel so light though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Elf View Post
You will have so much fun at Pop! We loved it there!
I'm getting more and more excited for it! My first plan is a swim for the boys in the hippy dippy pool while I enjoy a libation from Petals

Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #45
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Let's eat!!

So discovering I had a code for free dining over the summer was a HUGE push in making this trip happen and allowing us to stay just a bit longer than we originally had planned.

(note to self, always call Disney and ask about a PIN code! I had heard of others getting the code and the CM told me if I had one, I would have received a card or e-mail but I pushed the issue and sure enough, it was in their computer )

I probably would have been OK with taking the quick service plan but Greg felt strongly that he wanted a sit-down meal each day to give us a bit more variety (with the long trip, I’m glad for that too!) and felt it would be a good way to get out of the heat a bit each day. Since I had quite a list of restaurants I wanted to try, I took on the ADR challenge happily!

So what did I manage to get booking at about 90 days instead of 180…

Whispering Canyon Café – This was on my must-do list, we ended up cancelling an ADR for this in 2008 so now it’s on my first night! I’m very excited, canyon skillet here I come

The Plaza – I’ve heard good things about it but never thought I would go since I thought of it as “just sandwiches and ice cream” but it will be a nice in-park lunch!

Yak and Yeti – This one might be a toss up. I think Greg and I will like it OK, not sure about the boys. I’m very excited for those wontons!

Cape May – I ate here last year for breakfast but have always thought the dinner looks yummy so this will be good for a DHS day

Ohana – it took awhile for me to snag this one but it was also on my must-do list. I was so bummed to not make it here last year so this is my do-over

Crystal Palace – I didn’t originally plan a meal here but a couple character breakfasts was a request from the boys. I got a late breakfast ADR so we’ll have a little time for touring before our date with Pooh and the gang

Biergarten – I loved this one last year and I think Greg will like the atmosphere and the boys will think the band is cool. Lots of yummy food here too!

HoopDeeDoo – this was the only 2 credit meal I could convince Greg of (I would have liked more, he would have preferred none) I have heard great things and I think the boys will have a blast!

Sci-Fi – again, a good way to take a lunch break in the park on a day we will only stay through the afternoon. Hoping for a good experience, I’ve heard both good and bad.

The Wave – I’m not convinced we will keep this one just because of how it falls with our park plans but it does sound yummy

1900 Park Fare – this is a bit of a surprise choice from the boys. I have not been able to get a breakfast ADR at Chef Mickeys so this is a substitute. I’ve heard good things and thought the boys would never want to go so I’m happy!

Tutto Italia – wasn’t at the top of my list for WS meals but I figured this would have the most that the boys would eat

Mama Melroses – I didn’t love this one in 2008 but we wanted a Fantasmic package and weren’t willing to do 2 credits for Brown Derby and H&V doesn’t appeal to me.

Kona Café – we did this one in 2008 and liked it. My original plan was to have this ADR but see about getting a walk-up for Ohana instead. Since I managed to get the Ohana ADR, we may or may not keep this one.

If you add them up, there are 15 dining credits listed above. The last 2 trips, I have ended up not making an ADR so I overbooked by one.

There are still a few restaurants on my “someday” list but this sure will shorten that list!!

Next update…QS thoughts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: