Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
njsweetP
DIS Veteran

Why is my iPhone 4 battery draining so quickly?

All of a sudden my iPhone 4's battery (verizon) is draining too quickly. Usually with my usage of the phone I can go about 2 days without charging. Last night I got home, the phone was down to less than 20% battery, so I plugged it in and let it charge overnight. This morning it was at 100%, I texted a few times and that was it. By 10:30 it was down to 38% I haven't done anything different ..any suggestions?

1985 First ever trip to WDW!! WDW 1992 WDW 1995 WDW 1996 WDW 1998 WDW 2001
WDW 2004 WDW 2006 WDW 2009 WDW June 2010 WDW June 2011
Disneyland June 2014WDW January 2015 -DD's runDisney!
All trips offsite.
njsweetP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Make sure you don't have any apps running in the background taking up usage (there shouldn't be any, but just in case).

If you press the main button twice, it should pop up a window on the bottom showing your open apps, close them out.

You can also try shutting your phone completely off, and rebooting it. Hold the power button down for about 5 seconds and it asks you if you want to power it off....wait about 30 seconds, then hold down the power button again to turn it back on....see if that helps

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I just upgraded to an iPhone 4 from a 3Gs and I spent about an hour yesterday googling "iPhone 4 battery life" because my phone charge life cycle was significantly worse than my old phone.

a couple issues off the top of my head

Google email and push seems to be problematic. If your using a google email account - stop it or at least turn off the part where it automatically downloads. All your other accounts have them only check the server like once every 30 minutes or hour if possible.

All the apps that use location services that you really don't use - turn it off if you don't use it.

If you don't need Bluetooth etc turn that off.

I did those things and then got 11 hours off my phone yesterday including some time my kid spent playing Angry Birds so it seemed to work.

There was more, if you Google you'll find lots of blogs and message boards discussing it. To me it's kind of like "Here's a whole bunch of toys but if you want to actually use your phone for more than a couple of hours ---- turn them off."
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
kesha
Dreaming of Mickey

I am searching for information on the i phone 4 from Verizon and I run onto this. Does this mean I shouldn't purchase one?
1997-CBR
1999-CSR
2002-CBR
2005-CBR
2007-CSR
2009-CBR
2011-CBR
2013-CBR
2014-CSR
kesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Well - I really do like the iPhone. But between the reception thing (I did have to get a bumper case for mine) and my experience with the battery life I'm not sure I would make the decision to upgrade from a 3Gs to an iPhone 4 again -- I bought mine refurb from ATT and it cost me $199 and I had to sign a two year contract. I did go from 16GB to 32GB which is good because I was out of room, but I'm glad I didn't pay new prices at least.

You might look at some of the refurb deals around and also check out some of the other smartphones. There are many good options now, Apple is by no means the only game in town.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
kelly1218
DIS Veteran

Check your location services....if it's constantly looking to see where you are it drains it.

I've had it drain quickly a time or two (I've had mine since last July) and it's always been because I've left an APP running.

RitaE gave some good ideas of where to look.

Philly
~Walker 2010 ~ ~Crew 2011~ walking with my daughter in 2012
kelly1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
kesha
Dreaming of Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
Well - I really do like the iPhone. But between the reception thing (I did have to get a bumper case for mine) and my experience with the battery life I'm not sure I would make the decision to upgrade from a 3Gs to an iPhone 4 again -- I bought mine refurb from ATT and it cost me $199 and I had to sign a two year contract. I did go from 16GB to 32GB which is good because I was out of room, but I'm glad I didn't pay new prices at least.

You might look at some of the refurb deals around and also check out some of the other smartphones. There are many good options now, Apple is by no means the only game in town.
I thought I had my mind made up to get a droid, then the guy tells me how much better the iphone is. Still not sure what I am doing.
1997-CBR
1999-CSR
2002-CBR
2005-CBR
2007-CSR
2009-CBR
2011-CBR
2013-CBR
2014-CSR
kesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

After i'd bought my iPhone 4 I hadn't realized how quickly the battery drains. I think it's a great phone for apps and internet searching, but if you need a phone for business or often, the battery life would be the one reason not to get one.

With that being said, I love my iPhone4 and am glad I bought it. I just get into the routine of charging it often and turning off any apps when not in use.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
njsweetP
DIS Veteran

OP here, I"ve had the phone since Feb., and this is the first time I experience such a drastic battery drain. Besides pushing the phone button twice, how can you close an app?

1985 First ever trip to WDW!! WDW 1992 WDW 1995 WDW 1996 WDW 1998 WDW 2001
WDW 2004 WDW 2006 WDW 2009 WDW June 2010 WDW June 2011
Disneyland June 2014WDW January 2015 -DD's runDisney!
All trips offsite.
njsweetP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

what apps are you guys using that are draining the bat?

i got my iphone about a month ago and didn't allow the push option since i didn't really understand what it was - guess thats a good thing now.

but i don' tknow what apps would cause bat draining.

i've got a few games for dd (and myself whos kidding who lol) gots some news feeds but none of them suck bat life.
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Is there an app killer app for the IPhone? I know there is one for the Droid-but since the last software upgrade you don't need it.

I know if I leave my GPS feature on that my battery drains faster on my Droid X-is that similar on the Iphone?
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

They just came out with a new upgrade 4.3.3 that supposedly cures that sudden battery drain issue. I have heard it can be caused by an application that gets stuck and reboot will cure it

webmasteralex@wdwinfo.com
No Tag, No Signature.....no Need
WebmasterAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
SookieStackhouse
"I'm Sookie Stackhouse, and I'm a waitress"

I just dumped my Droid X for the iPhone... I love it. The iPhone's battery life seems to be better than the Droid, of course I am bad about spending A LOT of time on it. Somebody said that turning off the wifi will help with battery life.

SookieStackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
MonkeyDishwasher
Yes!!! I got the first non-topic starter post! Do I get a medal or something?

Also- if you constantly have your 3G on, that can drain the battery as well.
MonkeyDishwasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsweetP View Post
OP here, I"ve had the phone since Feb., and this is the first time I experience such a drastic battery drain. Besides pushing the phone button twice, how can you close an app?
Just X out of anything at the bottom of the phone after you see them. Anything you have ever opened on the phone runs until you close it out. Just remember to do this every few days. It did help me.

But, also, go by an apple store. They can check to see if the battery is working properly. Mine wasn't and they reinstalled something. That along with closing apps (No one had ever told me to do that) has helped.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: