Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
megsablue
Mouseketeer

Bringing the Wonder home (LA to Vancouver Repo) - 04/27-05/03 - (Lots of food pics)

Index to Posts

(Note: Personal Navigators are included with their respective days, as are photos of any menus)

- The Plan & Who We Are

- Crazy Planning

- Vancouver to LAX/DLR Travel & Shopping Day

- Our Suite at the Villas at the Grand Californian

- Disneyland & DCA

- Cruise Day 1 - Embarkation Day

- Cruise Day 1 - Dinner at Palo

- Cruise Day 2 - Day at Sea

- Cruise Day 2 - Day at Sea - Part II

- Cruise Day 3 - San Francisco

- Cruise Day 3 - San Francisco - Part II

- Cruise Day 4 - San Francisco & At Sea

- Cruise Day 4 - San Francisco & At Sea - Part II

- Cruise Day 5 - Day at Sea

- Cruise Day 6 - Victoria

- Cruise Day 6 - Victoria - Part II

- Cruise Day 7 - Back in Vancouver!

- Epilogue - Would we do it again?

WDW - January 2014 - AKL; September 2010 - AKL; August 2006 - Pop Century

Disneyland - October 2012 - DLH & VGC; April 2011 - VGC; GCH - December 2009, May 2007, May 2005, April/May 2004... many many day trips!

DCL - Sept 2015 - Wonder HI to Vancouver; May 2013 - Wonder to Alaska; April/May 2011 - Wonder LA to Vancouver - TR Here

Last edited by megsablue; 05-26-2011 at 07:14 PM.
megsablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
megsablue
Mouseketeer

Who We Are/The Trip Overview

The Trip Overview:

We flew to LAX on April 25th and we spent the afternoon doing some shopping, then we were on to DLR, where we stayed in a 1-bedroom villa at the VGC, which is our home resort (though this was our first time staying at our home resort). Then we spent the 26th in Disneyland and DCA before driving to the San Pedro port on the 27th where we boarded for the LA to Vancouver repo cruise on the Wonder. Though we would have liked to have more time at DLR, this time around it wasn't feasible unfortunately. We also not doing any official excursions since we were in SF two years ago (and did all the touristy stuff then) and visit Victoria every couple of years or so (my Mom grew up there). This is our first cruise ever, but we're huge Disney park people, so we figured this would be a perfect first cruise for us - Disney AND bringing the Wonder home!

Who we are:

Greg, my amazing DH - Quiet and shy, though lots of fun once you've gotten to know him. Late 20's, smart as a whip with computers (and other things) and pretty easy going. I infected him with the Disney bug during our first trip to DL together, when we were still teenagers.

Meg (me!) - (side note: I'm no longer blonde, but I like this photo!) Homemaker, though I have a BA in Anthropological Archaeology (I'm probably going to go back and get my MA in a couple of years). I'm pretty easy going as well, though I'm crazy about being organized (you'll see what I mean in all of my printouts for this trip!). I'm not as quiet as Greg, but I'm pretty reserved around people I don't know well. I'm also pregnant with our first child and I was 21 weeks when we sailed (made it right under the wire!). I'm a big reader (love my Nook colour!) and I love old movies as well.

We've been together since 1999 (11 years in September - we were high school sweethearts) and have been happily married for 7 (we'll celebrate our 7 year anniversary on our trip). We got engaged in the Blue Bayou at DLR, so DLR holds a very special place in our hearts. We live downtown Vancouver (we sailed by our apartment), so it's nice to be literally bringing the Wonder "home" for us!

Why This Trip:

Though we just did WDW in September, we had some extra DVC points to use up, and we thought it would be a great to only have to pay for airfare one-way, get a chance to spend a little time in DLR, perhaps see my parents (they live in AZ) and also get to experience a DCL cruise to places we've already been (so it will be a bit more relaxing).

Disneyland - October 2012 - DLH & VGC; April 2011 - VGC; GCH - December 2009, May 2007, May 2005, April/May 2004... many many day trips!

DCL - Sept 2015 - Wonder HI to Vancouver; May 2013 - Wonder to Alaska; April/May 2011 - Wonder LA to Vancouver - TR Here
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
megsablue
Mouseketeer

Crazy Planning

I tend to be quite a crazy planner and like to be super organized on our trips. I grew up in a VERY disorganized family (but I love them!), so I tend to overcompensate for the chaos I grew up in (and luckily, Disney is one of those places where I find if you're organized, the better it is).

The reason being (other than my ADHD which makes me a little scatterbrained if I don't plan and write things down), is that Greg and I like to prepare beforehand so we can relax more on our trips because we're organized. At DLR, we tend to not plan our meals (unless we're going to the Blue Bayou, where you need ADRs), but I like to look at the menus online so I know where I want to eat instead of wandering around aimlessly trying to decide.

Things I do to plan:

- I do a lot of research before we leave and as a result, often I find it hard to remember all of the dates, confirmation numbers, addresses, opening times, etc. that are so important to our vacation. So I've started typing everything out and putting it on 3x5 blank cards (you can get them from any office supply store) and then print the information out on these cards (my OCD won't allow me to merely write it - typing is so much prettier!). I got this tip off of a Disney board (I'm pretty sure it was here on the DISBoards, but I'm not sure) and it was AMAZING when I implemented it during our last WDW trip. I hole punch the corners of the cards, then use a metal ring to keep them together. On longer trips (like 8 days at WDW) I rotate the cards for whatever park we're visiting that day - I have a "daily" card, then park specific cards for places I want to eat, etc. The cards are small enough that they're easy to pop in our day bag and we can head off. My family thinks I'm nuts, but if they saw them in action, I know their minds would be changed. (My immediate family, DH & I - think they're brilliant! :-P)

- I also highly recommend bringing a pocket folder along to keep all paperwork in (i.e., print outs of confirmations of hotel, airlines, etc). This has helped us in SO many situations because we know exactly where our paperwork is and then it's great for bringing those papers from the resorts you want to bring home. (Side note - this also saved us this trip because Enterprise "lost" our reservation - they had to honour the price we were given)

- In the file folders, since we often renting car that doesn't have GPS, I print out Google maps for everywhere we're driving. This has been a lifesaver in many occasions! This time around, we had to reroute ourselves several times due to traffic/construction and because we had maps, it was really easy to do.

- And, as a given, I use the DIS boards as a major planning resource. As this was our first cruise, we relied a lot on the amazing people here to share all of their wisdom and it did not let us down!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
megsablue
Mouseketeer

Phew, doing all this takes some time! I have a whole new respect for all of you who do trip reports all the time (this is my first one). I'll start scanning our Personal Navigators tonight and hopefully will get our travel day & DLR day done tonight as well. We have lots of photos of food (both DLR & DCL) to come, so bear with me as it might take awhile

Old 05-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Toria
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to hearing more!
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Raeryan50
Earning My Ears

So far so good.... Can't wait to hear more

::Me DH :DD16 DD14

Raeryan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
megsablue
Mouseketeer

Vancouver to LAX/DLR Travel & Shopping Day

This day (April 25th, which happened to be our 7th wedding anniversary), we had planned to leave at around 4:30am since we were flying out of Bellingham, WA. We had an early flight and weren't sure how bad the border would be since it was a long weekend and the Canadian dollar was/is above the US right now. I set the alarms for 3:30am (I had pre-packed everything so we just had to get ready & go), but unfortunately, the baby had other ideas and at 1:45am, I was up for the day since he was kicking and wouldn't stop (I'm guessing he was excited to be headed to Disneyland too!). It gave me lots of time to make sure we had everything though!

Luckily for us, the border was great (5 minute wait) and we ended up getting to Bellingham early. We have a ritual where when we come down on vacation we stop at IHOP for breakfast and since we had the time we got some yummy breakfast. They had WAFFLE COMBOS people! WAFFLE COMBOS! It was so good...

After breakfast, we headed to the airport, checked in and got settled. Once we got settled in the terminal, it was announced that our flight was delayed by an hour. Luckily, we knew that the Bellingham to Seattle flights were often delayed and we still had plenty of time to make our Seattle to LAX flight. We ended up being delayed by only 45 minutes (not an hour) so we had enough time in the Seattle Airport to hit the Alaska Airlines Board Room between flights (we were flying first class from Seattle to LAX because we had some credits to use up, so had free access).

I have to say, while the Board Room is a nice place to rest and have WiFi, I wasn't super impressed with the snack selection. It might have been the time we were there (10:30-11:30) but there really wasn't anything to snack on - so if you're having to pay to go in there and counting on a selection of nibbles, in my opinion it really wouldn't be worth it.

Our flight from Seattle to LAX was non-eventful and we soon were in LAX. We hopped the shuttle to Enterprise Rent-A-Car, where unfortunately they had lost our reservation. Luckily I had a print out, so they re-created the reservation. So just a note to anyone using Enterprise at LAX - if you're doing a one-way rental and not returning to LAX, you're in a different reservation system and your reservation *may* be lost. Make sure you have a print out of your rental agreement.

We then headed to the Trader Joe's in Long Beach for some breakfast items, then the Westminster Mall in Westminster, CA since we wanted to do some serious shopping before we hit the DLR. There's a Target, Macy's, DSW, Babies R Us, etc. What more could a woman want? We picked up everything we needed and wanted (& more!) and then headed to the DLR.

Check-in at the Grand Californian was smooth as usual and we were given "Happy Anniversary" buttons, balloons and a signed photo from Mickey & Minnie, which I thought was a sweet touch. We then headed up to the most amazing room that I've ever stayed in….

Last edited by megsablue; 05-05-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
megsablue
Mouseketeer

Our Suite at the Villas at the Grand Californian

Though we're DVC members and our home resort is the Grand Californian, we hadn't been able to stay there yet as we had visited WDW (Animal Kingdom Villas) first, so we were very excited to have our first stay there. My DH and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Grand Californian 7 years ago, so since then, it's always had a very special place in our hearts (not to mention it's a fantastic hotel!).

Here's some pictures of our amazing 1 bedroom suite:

As you enter into the 1 bedroom suite

The kitchen

Sitting area just off of the kitchen

View of the pool/garden area from the sitting area

Looking back into the kitchen from the sitting area

Hallway from the kitchen/main area that leads to the 2nd bathroom, Master Bathroom and Master Bedroom

The 2nd bathroom

Master bathroom shower

Master bathroom jacuzzi tub

The Master bedroom (nice big comfy bed!)

My DH surprised me and had some sparkling cider and chocolate covered (tuxedo) strawberries in our room when we arrived. Such a sweet man he is!

After checking in and getting settled into our room (we had quite a bit of luggage due to us bringing down an extra suitcase, all of our purchases that we had made that day and then the couple of packages we had sent from Amazon to the hotel, so it took a bit for Bell Services to get everything up to us - no reflection on them, they had a lot to get together!), we relaxed for a bit before heading off to dinner at Storyteller's Cafe. Once there we decided to get the buffet for dinner and I have to say, while the buffet was slightly overpriced in my opinion (but I may be a bit biased, I'm used to Vegas buffets, the Wynn in particular) - the food was great! I'll definitely eat there again - but probably once I don't have to share my belly with a baby so I can eat more. And the yummy bread they serve with the buffet was SO good - it was like a brioche, but slightly sweet. We got back to the room and I started repacking everything until I was exhausted and we then headed off to bed.

Last edited by megsablue; 05-06-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
jtiggerb
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear more

Can't wait to hear more about your trip. I'm on the other repo cruise... Van to LA. Did you guys ever hear more about the medical emergency that caused you to go back to San Fran?
jtiggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
megsablue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiggerb View Post
Can't wait to hear more about your trip. I'm on the other repo cruise... Van to LA. Did you guys ever hear more about the medical emergency that caused you to go back to San Fran?
They didn't officially announce anything, but another DISer said that it was a woman with appendicitis and that she rejoined the cruise in Vancouver (sounds like she was a B2Ber). When it happened, I figured it must have been either appendicitis, stroke or heart attack to have the whole ship turn around and head back. Sounds like she's doing well though!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
megsablue
Mouseketeer

Disneyland & DCA (in one day)

DH & I kept wavering if we wanted to sleep in or hit the ground running at Disneyland for the Magic Morning. We decided to see what happened and not set the alarm - but luckily for me, it was another early morning (this time it was 6am). I ended up getting up and letting DH sleep since the day before had been so busy with our traveling and shopping, so I popped some thawed croissants in the oven.

Thanks Trader Joe's! They were yummy!

After we finally got up and ready for the day, we got to the gates at around 8:45. Unfortunately there were no Magic Morning gates open anymore (I didn't realize that they "stopped" letting people in for Magic Mornings after a certain amount of time - I guess to get people ready for the regular opening), so we had to wait until the gates opened at 9am so we could head into the park. We weren't too worried about it though as I was still exhausted from the day before and with my swollen ankles, I knew I wouldn't want to be riding too many rides - I was there more to take in the ambiance of Disneyland!

In my family, we have a family tradition of hitting Pirates of the Caribbean first - and since that was one of the few of my favourite rides that I could still ride this trip, we hit that first.

After Pirates, DH rode went through the single rider line for Indy while I shopped and rested for a bit. After that we grabbed a Dole Whip Float to split (second breakfast anyone?). I think it's the first time that we've never run into a line at the Tiki Juice Bar!

We then toured around the park a bit more before we headed over to DCA. DCA was actually pretty busy, so we grabbed Fastpasses and then grabbed a burger (to split) at Taste Pilot's Grill before heading back to our suite for a rest (sorry, I was so tired I forgot to take a picture, but it was a messy burger because I like lots of BBQ sauce, mustard & ketchup on my burgers - so it probably wasn't pretty!). I found that this time, we did much better with smaller meals - usually splitting an entree at one place, then a couple of hours later, splitting an entree at another place. One major difference I noticed this trip is that usually we are very commando style and attack the parks at a fast pace. This time, I was totally unable to hit the parks for a couple of hours without being totally exhausted - but it was kind of nice to see the parks at a slower pace this time.

After a couple of hours, we headed back to Disneyland, where we rode the Haunted Mansion, then headed over to Hungry Bear to try their new menu. As you can see, we got the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich (with the zesty slaw), then an order of Sweet Potato Fries and Trixie's Blueberry Pie.

Here's a close-up of just the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich:

I have to say, I found the menu change to be really good - we both LOVED the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich (if I had to criticize it in anyway, I'd have to say that I would have liked it better on a little bit thinner of a bun because I really wanted to taste the fried green tomato) and the Sweet Potato Fries were pretty good (great flavour, would have liked them a little crispier, but they were still good). The flavour of the Zesty Slaw was really good, but it was a little soggy for me (I have a weird thing about textures) and Trixie's Blueberry Pie was SO good! I think next time we'd definitely need two of those!

After Hungry Bear, we walked back to New Orleans Square and I realized that the Mint Julep Bar was open - it NEVER seems to be open when we're there, so of course we had to stop. We decided to split a 3-pack of Mickey-shaped Beignets and a Fantasy Funnel Cake with strawberry topping (my DH's favourite food in the whole world I think).

(Sorry, it was hard to get a good shot of the beignets since they came in the bag and not a plate).

It was our first time having the Mickey-shaped Beignets and I have to say, they did not disappoint. They were warm, sweet and so good! (And I loved the touch of having them in a bag and you had to shake the powdered sugar in the bag to coat the beignets).

The Fantasy Funnel Cake was much bigger than we thought it would be, but I have to say, the last time I had a funnel cake, I wasn't a huge fan. This time around, I absolutely loved it (as did my DH). We weren't able to finish it because of our sugar coma, but it was so good! Crunchy and sweet all at the same time.

After the Mint Julep Bar, we figured that we should walk around a bit to burn off the sugar and calories we had just indulged in. We walked over to Tomorrowland where we picked up a 2011 pin for the baby (We're getting him started young! ) and generally just hung out in DL for awhile, did some more rides and then decided to head over to DCA (the lines weren't crazy busy, but the park itself seemed busy).

My DH went over and rode California Screaming (single rider line) and I was amazed at how fast he was in and out (in fact, the regular line for CS wasn't over 10 minute either). We then walked around, rode Soarin' and Monsters Inc before heading over to Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill. There we split a Beef Burrito Sonora.

The burrito was really good and I'd definitely order it again. It had a little bit of spice to it (and I love spicy stuff) so it really hit the mark for me. It was a huge amount of food though - I don't think we even finished it between the two of us.

After a bit longer in DCA, we decided to call it a night and try to condense our 13 (seriously) shopping bags and two boxes into the large (empty) suitcase we had brought so we wouldn't have to do it in the morning.

I have to say, usually we are in the park from open to close, but this time, since our suite was so nice, I wanted to spend more time in it so that we could really enjoy it, even if it was just watching tv on the comfy bed after an awesome jacuzzi bath!

As you can see, we really did eat our way around the DLR...

Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Toria
DIS Veteran

Lovin the TR! Can't wait for the rest.
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Mindyjoy
DIS Veteran

I'm in, love the food pics. We are getting married at Grand Californian next year and I wanted to try to rent DVC points for a suite at GCH. Did your room have a balcony?
Mindyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Great TR so far -- I love all the photos! I'm looking forward to reading more about your trip.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
jtiggerb
Mouseketeer

Keep up the excellent work

Great pictures and info. Can't wait for the cruise pictures. Also if you have them would also love to see the Nav's from cruise as well.

Justin
jtiggerb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: