Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

Question about standard view room at GCH

I just booked a standard view room at the GCH for early June. We are a family of four traveling with a special needs child who uses a wheelchair for safety-sensory reasons (we don't need a handicapped accessible room).

I'm not concerned about the view, or a balcony. I want to request a room that would be convenient to the DTD entrance to the GCH, as there are times we need to get back to the room quickly, plus he is quite heavy to push in that wheelchair, so if we can save some steps, I'm all for it.

I've read that some of the standard view rooms about the entrance are a little larger; that would be nice since he does a lot of stimming and moves around a lot. But are those convenient to the DTD entrance to the GCH? Where are the elevators?

If anyone has any advice/suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUTBAM View Post
I just booked a standard view room at the GCH for early June. We are a family of four traveling with a special needs child who uses a wheelchair for safety-sensory reasons (we don't need a handicapped accessible room).

I'm not concerned about the view, or a balcony. I want to request a room that would be convenient to the DTD entrance to the GCH, as there are times we need to get back to the room quickly, plus he is quite heavy to push in that wheelchair, so if we can save some steps, I'm all for it.

I've read that some of the standard view rooms about the entrance are a little larger; that would be nice since he does a lot of stimming and moves around a lot. But are those convenient to the DTD entrance to the GCH? Where are the elevators?

If anyone has any advice/suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
You need to contact the hotel and explain the problems and what you need. They are very accomadating for individuals with mobility problems. You may not get exactly what you want but they will do their best.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Well, I have only stayed at the GCH once, but I thought I would point out the map on the GCH Superthread: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=450

It shows the locations of the elevators. We used the elevators right next to Napa Rose for our standard view room. This made it super convenient to go in and out of DCA. We had a little more of a walk to go to DTD. I am guessing maybe you would prefer to be closer to DTD? It should be easy enough to request.

Per the hints on this board and the superthread, I faxed in my room request to the front desk of GCH for a king bed a week before and two days before arrival. Upon check in, they had put us in a king bed. Just from that one experience, it seems that faxing request reminders may work.
GCH front desk fax: (714) 300-7300
Since the nature of your request is for special needs, I would explain why you are requesting a specific location.

Hopefully someone more experienced with GCH might be able to give you specific room numbers or other tips. Have fun!
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

Thank you both!

I was starting to make my way through the GC Superthread, but it's so long, lol, so I hadn't seen everything yet. The map is helpful, and now I see where the elevators are. It looks like there is one off the Lobby/Great Hall, which is fairly close to the DTD entrance, so a room on one of the upper floors near that elevator would be great. I'll ask them about that.

Thank you again.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand california, handicapped, special needs, standard view

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: