DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #811
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Glad you're back and had a nice time despite the sad reason for going. We look forward to you in daily discussions and hearing about your upcoming trips.

14X on Star Tours at WDW and 3X at DL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's amazing! I've been on it 12X so far, but hope to do some catching up in a couple months. I do have to say I did see all the possible scenarios in those 12X.
Glad to hear you're back safe and sound and enjoyed yourself.
It was fun... thanks! I'm now 1 scenario away from seeing them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney loving Iowan View Post
Glad things went so well at the memorial service and that you got to see so much of your family. It is just a shame that those are the times when we get to see people we haven't seen in forever. Glad you got to spend some time with your FIL too. Sorry that he is not doing well. I'll keep him in my prayers.
Thanks for the continued prayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Awww. I am so glad that all went well for you and your family. And I'm glad you got to spend some more time with your FIL.

Lifting him up in prayer.

PS can you try texting me again? I am still not sure what happened that I could not receive yours a while back.
Thanks to you too... and yes, I just texted you. Let me know if you get it or not.

Quote:
I got some bad news yesterday about an old friend.

To begin with, his wife died at the end of May (she is early 60's) this year. And yesterday he passed away (same age).

She had cancer and he had ALS and I believe, a broken heart.

My only reason for posting this is that some days I just have to be shaken a little and realize how fragile life is. That and, don't wait too long to talk to someone about their loss of a loved one. I held onto his email about his beloved wife passing away and was waiting for the dust to settle to tell him how much we loved her and that she will be missed.

Chuck and I cried last night and asked the Lord to please tell this wonderful couple
that they are loved and we will see them again one day.

Thanks for listening Groupies.
I'm so sorry to read this Barb. It IS so important to let those we love know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Christopher~glad to hear all went well, and welcom back. Now settle down will ya
That's what my wife said yesterday too...

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #812
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Thanks all for sharing my grief with me. I see his obit is online, so forming the words.....

In the meantime, I really want to be a fly on the wall of a certain Groupie's house today. Hi Stopher

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #813
Disney loving Iowan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I got some bad news yesterday about an old friend.

To begin with, his wife died at the end of May (she is early 60's) this year. And yesterday he passed away (same age).

She had cancer and he had ALS and I believe, a broken heart.

My only reason for posting this is that some days I just have to be shaken a little and realize how fragile life is. That and, don't wait too long to talk to someone about their loss of a loved one. I held onto his email about his beloved wife passing away and was waiting for the dust to settle to tell him how much we loved her and that she will be missed.

Chuck and I cried last night and asked the Lord to please tell this wonderful couple
that they are loved and we will see them again one day.

Thanks for listening Groupies.
So sorry to hear about this.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #814
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Well hey there once again.

Life appears (at least for now) like it might slow down juuuuuuuuussssst a bit for the next couple of weeks around here - so I wanted to jump back in while I could.

As I mentioned last night in my post about being home from CA and the memorial service and all that that trip entailed.... I DID once again get to head off to "mecca"... DISNEYLAND. I actually texted a couple of my Dad's Club buddies while I was in the parks - with pics of Phineas and Ferb in Disney California Adventure with their little mini-parade/show that they put on; and then later from in Disneyland during the "Mickey's Soundsational Parade" with the Princess & the Frog float that has Tianna right up front & center since his daughter Madison loves Tianna. Some of you closer to the west coast may have already experienced or seen some of these pictures... so I apologize in advance, but I'm sharing anyway.

While I was out there I finally saw POTC: On Stranger Tides AND Cars2. I saw POTC on Sunday night at Downtown Disney. It was okay, but let me just say it put mermaids into a whole new light for me... especially considering that I did get to ride the all-new "The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure" in DCA, which will come to the Magic Kingdom next year. It was cool. The Magic Kingdom variety though will have a much more impressive exterior... looking like something out of the film... this one fits in to the overall theme of Paradise Pier at DCA.

That King Triton statue at the top of the building used to be a fountain inside Disneyland in the midst of a pond called King Tritons' Gardens, near the old Ariel meet & greet location. And that building is so absolutely gorgeous at night time, all lit up with all of that popcorn lighting... plus the very cool windows with the interior lighting, and some lit up stained glass on the sides.

It's nothing fabulous, just a glorified dark-ride... in "clammobiles" a la the "doom buggies" variety. But it has a very nice mural in the load area.

It certainly is not an E-ticket, more around a C...maybe a D... but it was cool. Another great people eater to draw in the crowds and get them off the walkways. It has a high hourly throughput too, which is so needed to off-set the various slow loaders nearby in DCA (and the various slow-loaders in Fantasyland at the MK too). The animatronics are the latest and greatest around, and articulate very, very well. The Ursula figure alone was about 8 feet tall, and close to 18-20 feet wide with all of those tentacles... very impressive.

I also like the "dry for wet" atmosphere... if you think about what they did with the Nemo queue at Epcot... then take it up several notches... it was very well done. I will put up a few pics soon. This will be a very good addition to Fantasyland at the MK when it is finished and finally opened!

I once again enjoyed my favorite WORLD OF COLOR that evening, which since I last saw it in December, has already been updated... which had been updated from when it opened last year in June. Gotta love that digital technology that makes upgrades / updates so quick and easy to accomplish.

I also got to enjoy the new Star Tours 3x while there (while I enjoyed doing it 14x at WDW in May... I didn't have as many days to play, so I kept it to a minimum this time) - and while there, I was able to add one more destination to my roster of possible scenarios. That was fun.

I will say also, that I just LOVE Space Mountain at Disneyland. I rode it 3x, and wanted to go back for a 4th, but wasn't able to. For those of you who have never been there - it's a whale of a lot smoother than at the Magic Kingdom. For size (of the park and scale, the entire attraction was built 15' feet below ground), and is a smaller circumference than the MK's version - which meant that it could not be dual track but rather dual seat sleds on a single track. So instead of 6 person individual bobsled seating, you have 12 person seating in 6 rows on a single track. But it is just so smooth - you really glide along. A big part of that is from the 2004-05 rebuild - where the entire track was removed and rebuilt. The last few times I've been to the MK, I've enjoyed SM less and less, and the last visit I refused to even go knowing that it just made a bit naseous the time before thanks to all of the jostling and bumping that it does. I really wish that they would have done the same kind of rebuild when they took SM down for an extended rehab what 2 years ago now. Ride technologies have improved so much since SM was first added to the MK in '75 and to DL in '77. The 2005 version of SM at DL is so much better than the original was. And the soundtrack is just so cool too. I can't wait to go back in October when they overlay the halloween stuff to it for "Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy". This will be the 3rd year they've done that, but my first to experience it as I'm usually out there in either early September, late November or December and miss it.

I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel this time around. It was great. The new monorail themed water slides at the new pool are pretty cool. The hotel is being completely renovated, with the towers being mostly gutted and rebuilt. Each tower is being rethemed to lands across the street at the park... Adventure, Frontier and Fantasy. The pool complex is taking on a Tomorrowland feel with the new slides.

They've recreated the look of the original marquee along Harbor Blvd too, that was removed in 1987. It was always such a welcoming sight as you would drive down Harbor and enter the parking lot.

The redone Frontier tower has one of the scale models of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in the lobby - that was very cool. It was inside a glass case that you could walk all the way around, and follow the track with your eyes. Lots of fun.

Concept art from the various lands and their attractions hangs on the walls of each tower. The lobby furnishings match the overall theme of the tower too. I love the new carpet in the hallways.

Inside the room I was in, there was a "magic" headboard, with a Castle carving to it, that lights up with fireworks and "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" music with the flip of a switch.

This one is a little video of the music playing if you click it.

The new entrance at DCA has been completed now, as they barrel forward towards 2012 and th grand opening of Carsland and the new Buena Vista Street. The entrance now looks identical to Hollywood Studios, which is based on the old Pan-Pacific Auditorium from Los Angeles in the 1930's.

The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at DCA has for the past several years been a place to meet & greet Koda & Kenai from Brother Bear. Last month they were moved out and Russell & Doug from UP! moved in. The retheme is terrific, and the younger explorers can find and earn some different badges while there. It's pretty cool.

While I was there, also, Disneyland turned 56 on Sunday... I haven't been there for a birthday since the park turned 45. That was a nice little bonus.

All in all it was a nice little visit to the Happiest Place on Earth. I can't wait to go back in October.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 07-21-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #815
Disney loving Iowan
DIS Veteran

Stopher - Thanks for all the pictures!!!!! I really wanna make a trip out west again!!! I would love to see WOC. I totally agree with you on Space Mountain. I can't ride the one in WDW but in DL I rode it many, many times! Love it! When DD had a school trip to Ca. in March the kids had a choice between Univ. and DL and they unfortuatly picked Univ. DD and I were mad cause we wanted to ride Space Mountain!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #816
Corinne
DIS Veteran aka DVCTink

Christopher, loved reading about your DL stay. We haven't been since the boys were really young....I am guessing about 17 or 18 years! My brother lived in CA so we would visit often. I hope to get back there one day.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #817
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Muushka - so sorry to hear about the loss of your friends.

Welcome back Stopher! Glad to hear that your trip went well and hope that things settle down for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
The new entrance at DCA has been completed now, as they barrel forward towards 2012 and th grand opening of Carsland and the new Buena Vista Street. The entrance now looks identical to Hollywood Studios, which is based on the old Pan-Pacific Auditorium from Los Angeles in the 1930's.

Wow - that happened fast. I have always liked this entrance at MGM/DHS but I must admit to being disappointed that they removed the beautiful DCA entrance only to copy DHS.

Your report has gotten me excited to try and use my holding points at DL sometime in the next few months. There's quite a few changes to take in although I'm not going to top your 3 Star tours rides much less come close to your WDW record! WOW!!! Star Tours still makes me queasy which is such a bummer since it really is a nice update. However, since I agree with you 100% about Space Mt. maybe I can beat you there. Thanks for the pictures and sharing your trip!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #818
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks

Big hugs Muushka. So very sorry to read of your loss. We Groupies are here to share your grief and offer support.

Nice to have you back Stopher! Thanks for sharing your trip and photos with us. I'll bet you're glad to be home.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #819
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Wow - that happened fast. I have always liked this entrance at MGM/DHS but I must admit to being disappointed that they removed the beautiful DCA entrance only to copy DHS.
Yeah, I kind of agree with you... I miss the old entrance a bit, but more the letters than the giant tile mural. I too have always like the DHS one, but it could / should have been something different. The Golden Gate Bridge was supposed to have started to be removed slowly on Tuesday or Wednesday this week. It should be done in a couple of weeks. They plan to have the entire former Sunshine Plaza / entrance area walled off before Labor Day so that they can work on Buena Vista Street in earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Your report has gotten me excited to try and use my holding points at DL sometime in the next few months. There's quite a few changes to take in although I'm not going to top your 3 Star tours rides much less come close to your WDW record! WOW!!! Star Tours still makes me queasy which is such a bummer since it really is a nice update. However, since I agree with you 100% about Space Mt. maybe I can beat you there. Thanks for the pictures and sharing your trip!
Star Tours is really cool, but I just didn't want to do it more times than I did on this trip. I actually only was able to do both Star Tours & Space Mountain 3x because they gave me a pair of hotel guest Instant FP's (part of the current promotion for the DL resorts this summer) upon check-in. So I used one for each attraction to get that 3rd trip. The Star Tours FP's were gone for the day by around noon, and the Space Mountain FP's were gone by around 2pm.

You're right about all of the changes. I watch the updates weekly on MiceAge and MousePlanet... but website updates just aren't the same as being there in person. It'll be fun to see how much is accomplished on the DCA stuff by October.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #820
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznyDi View Post
Nice to have you back Stopher! Thanks for sharing your trip and photos with us. I'll bet you're glad to be home.
Oh yes! I am glad to be home... and the family is so very glad too.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #821
blossomz
Proud DVC owner since 2002!

Kathy...thoughts and prayers coming your way....

Stopher..glad things went well. Welcome home...and LOVE the Disneyland photos!!

Muush...so sorry to hear of your loss. I truly believe in the broken heart idea. My father died of a broken heart as well...

Old 07-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #822
stopher1

OOOOH, ooooh - and take at look at this! I was so very excited to see something NEW and different in the shops at DL. I just HAD to get a pair of these for DW and I. We both are tea drinkers (not coffee), and so I just HAD to give the mouse a bit of money to bring these home with me. Dishwasher safe, and ready to be used. Green for DW (her favorite color) and white for me. (though I wish they had a blue one which is my favorite). The "box" is round, with a sold base and top, with "Fantasyland" several times around the bottom. Then the top you see in this picture. It's clear plastic around the middle.

There was a set of glass tumblers celebrating the original lands that I would have liked to purchase as well, but they only had 3 of the original lands in stock, and I would have preferred to have all 5, so I skipped them. Perhaps when I return in October they'll all be there. Now I know what to look for!

I love seeing classic imagery and concept art being made into different items at DL. Now if they would start more of that at WDW too, I could come home with some new items the next time I visit...

Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #823
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

Barb - I'm so sorry.

Stopher - great pics! I haven't been to DL since I was 7. Looking forward to getting out there again.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #824
wildernessDad
DIS Veteran

Stopher, nice pics! It makes me want to add on more points at VGC to go there more often!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #825
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Thank you Groupies, for all of your support.

Stopher, those pictures make me want to drag Mr Muush on a plane! I really want to go there now.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: