Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Mom-to-2-Princesses
Lovin' It!

Please explain Netflix to me!

We are looking to add Netflix to our TV service. (Currently we are paying for basic cable which gives us the local stations and a few Cable stations)

So I have the basics -- stream it in our Wii, etc........but
So how recent are the tv shows that you can stream in? Like Mythbusters? I see it in the "browse selection", but is it only shows that have been released on DVD or can you get last weeks episode?

And since this is the DisBoards and my girls have been really missing their Disney Channel -- how soon do you get their movies and tv shows?

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Thx.

Mom-to-2-Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
uk_wildcat
Mouseketeer

Most of the TV shows are not current season shows. They are shows you can get on DVD, so about a season or 2 behind.
We get our movies in 1-2 days in the mail. When I send movies back, it usually takes 1-2 days for them to get it.
It really depends on where you live and where the closest processing center is.
I think Netflix is trying to work on getting current TV shows, but I don't think they have been able to get networks to agree yet.
Hulu is better if you want recent episodes of shows.
uk_wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
Sparx
DIS Veteran

The television shows are not the current season.
If I send out my dvd on monday, I should get a new one on Wednesday, but it depends on how close you are to the processing facility.

mighty putty can fix everything but my broken heart
rip billy mays
i love, i have loved, i will love.

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
wtrmlnlabs
DIS Veteran

Yeah, unfortunately the shows are not current... dying to get DH to let me drop the dish but even though he never watches anything "live" he won't do it... can't get it current enough, doesn't like watching it from the computer

However, I'm happy with netflix and hulu. You can get a lot of current things there. Not quite at convenient as netflix, but current! We have the computer hooked into our tv so it plays right off the tv, really don't miss a thing. I think if you combine the cheap netflix with all the free things you can find like hulu and the channels websites, you wouldn't have any problem.

Good luck!
wtrmlnlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Purseval
DIS Veteran

We signed up for a free month because of the tv shows (we cancelled our cable tv) and cancelled a couple of days later because it was worthless for new shows.
Purseval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
nroush313
Mouseketeer

Hey I am not sure what Disney shows your girls watch but all of the Hannah Montana shows are on there and when a new episode of Wizards of Waverly Place or Good Luck Charlie airs it usually shows up on Netflix the next day or two!
nroush313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
buzz2400
The TF waves to buzz2400's DS

I just tried netflix for free for a month and will be cancelling it as soon as the month is over. The movies that are streamlined are either old or not worth watching. I will say they do mail out the movies in the mail pretty fast. I get one on wed. watch it put in mail on thurs, get next one on sat. put in mail on monday and get the next one on wed. However, I find it is easier to go to redbox when I want to actually watch the movie.

Anyway the tv shows are the ones that are released on dvd, not the current season. Some tv shows are streamlined on the internet (ie abc.com, nbc.com)
buzz2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Mom-to-2-Princesses
Lovin' It!

Thanks for all the info!

Maybe I should change my title to "tell me about Hulu?"

My girls can become "tv-aholics" so I am not really looking to give them access to many movies. But we are looking at ways to bring in some of the cable shows (pretty much Disney and Discovery) in without paying $50 - $60.

As for Disney -- it's all about Wizards, Charlie, Phineous...

Mom-to-2-Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
nroush313
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-to-2-Princesses View Post
Well your in luck with Netflix all these shows are on instant. And like I said new episodes usually show up the next day. I am not sure about Hulu and the disney shows though. Also most of the newer disney movies are on netflix instant as well such as Princess Protection Program, The Suite Life Movie, etc.
nroush313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Jaime4004
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-to-2-Princesses View Post
Thanks for all the info!

Maybe I should change my title to "tell me about Hulu?"

My girls can become "tv-aholics" so I am not really looking to give them access to many movies. But we are looking at ways to bring in some of the cable shows (pretty much Disney and Discovery) in without paying $50 - $60.

Hulu is not good for disney shows. All of the ones i've ever checked are not on there. You can check on hulu.com. It will show which shows are free, and which ones you would need to play huluplus ($8 or $9/month, we just got it) on. Just do a search on the shows you are looking for. It does not have wizards, but netflix does. We have basic cable, netflix and huluplus. Netflix like PP said does not have new episodes. It has the shows when the seasons come onto DVD, then some of them are streamed, but not all. Hulu has most of the current shows, but not so much of the cable channel shows. I got that one for me because i was way behind on the network shows that I watch (glee, grey's anatomy, etc,) and it has all of those. My kids almost exclusively use netflix instant streaming.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Perhaps you should look into getting Playon streamed to your WII. This one time fee service includes Hulu, Amazon video on demand, sports, PBS, etc.

This is what we do; tv antenna for local channels, Playon, and Netflix. Our only "tv" expense is the $40 month Internet and $7.99 Netflix. We stream to 2 PS3's and 1 WII.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Arusha * POFQ * POR

Lehuaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
cruella4me64
Mouseketeer

We're newbies to Netflix, but so far, happy. The dvd turnaround via USPS is very fast where I am. A viewed movie is mailed one day and the next day I receive an email that it's received and the next is on its way to me. One day mailing each way is fast imho. Very happy with that.

Netflix has some classic movies that we have watched that I cannot believe I have never seen.

I thought my college-aged children would be too busy to watch Netflix, but I told them about my subscription. They can streamline it from their laptops to their tvs in their dorm rooms and have people over to watch. They love things like last season's of Glee, Grey's Anatomy and movies they were too busy to see when they were new.

I've reserved movies on redbox.com and went to pick them up and they were not there. I mistakenly thought as soon as I reserved, and received confirmation, it would be waiting for me. Not so. Someone has to return one and then it has to be my turn in the ressie line. And then I have to return to the store to check on it. If there is a way to check on that without driving there, I do not know about it.

Hope this helps!

Maybe we will tire of Netflix, but for awhile, we like it!
cruella4me64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #13
Sparx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz2400 View Post
I just tried netflix for free for a month and will be cancelling it as soon as the month is over. The movies that are streamlined are either old or not worth watching. I will say they do mail out the movies in the mail pretty fast. I get one on wed. watch it put in mail on thurs, get next one on sat. put in mail on monday and get the next one on wed. However, I find it is easier to go to redbox when I want to actually watch the movie.

Anyway the tv shows are the ones that are released on dvd, not the current season. Some tv shows are streamlined on the internet (ie abc.com, nbc.com)
I completely disagree. In both of my combined queues there are about 900 items. If you can't find something to watch, you're not really looking or you didn't want to watch anything to begin with.

mighty putty can fix everything but my broken heart
rip billy mays
i love, i have loved, i will love.

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #14
wtrmlnlabs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I completely disagree. In both of my combined queues there are about 900 items. If you can't find something to watch, you're not really looking or you didn't want to watch anything to begin with.

Yeah, I've found some great stuff on netflix, lots I've never heard of. My favorite finds are Liberty's Kids and Beakman's World, not to mention all the neat Discovery stuff... as a home schooling mom I've found netflix to be be a great teaching aid!!!
wtrmlnlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #15
SookieStackhouse
"I'm Sookie Stackhouse, and I'm a waitress"

I don't know if I could depend on Netflix as my only source of TV, but there is some pretty decent stuff out there on the streaming. They may not have all the current seasons of stuff, but they have some interesting looking stuff on there. I have noticed (but have not seen) some pretty popular shows like Dexter, the Tudors, Weeds etc... on "Instant View". They may not have the entire show in the instant, but they have the first few seasons. When I get a chance I want to check out the Tudors. Seems like they don't do HBO shows on "Instant View" though.

I recently found a cool little show called "Party Down", it was only 20 eps for the whole series, but it was a cute show, great if you were a fan of Veronica Mars (which is probably still available) too.

There is some really good stuff on there if you haven't already seen it, and some stuff is worth a re-watch. I guess it is a matter of taste. Stuff like: Veronica Mars, The Office, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I am not a big movie watcher, but there is some pretty decent stuff on the movie list if you are willing to look. I THINK the movie selection is pretty in line with if you had Starz because of the StarzView feature. We have Starz for free on our Dish Network, and I have noticed A LOT of stuff on Starz and Netflix overlaps.

In my opinion it is worth it to have Netfix as an Option. I guess it depends on what you like.

I cannot vouch for it, but a friend at work was talking about how Crackle was a pretty good service...and it is FREE. Cannot beat the price.

SookieStackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: