Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Bike Rental on Castaway Cay

We are going on a Dream double-dip this summer, and it recently occurred to us that with two whole days at Castaway Cay we'll need to mix up our activities a little! Has anyone every done the bike rentals there? How lengthy are the paths and how long could you reasonably spend biking around the island? Any good scenery or pics to share?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
serrem
Earning My Ears

I rented a bike on a visit to CC in November, 2009. There are basically two paths, both of which depart from the old runway that connects the family beach area with Serenity bay. They are well marked -- look for signs along the runway.

Here is a plot from my GPS:

The first path, which leaves the runway about 150 yards west of its south end (near the Family Beach), is a loop of (my guess) about a mile. It goes through dense jungle, so there isn't much to see until you get to a three-story observation platform at about the midpoint of the loop. There are good views of the island, Serenity Bay, and back to the boat.

The second path starts at the Serenity Bay end of the runway and goes north about a mile. It's a beautiful road, lined by trees on both sides, and has occasional glimpses of the beach, Bay, and marshes. It was completely deserted the day I rode there and refreshingly shady.

You can probably do both bike paths with plenty of time for breaks, sightseeing, and snacks in under an hour.

Some photos from the observation platform:

Last edited by serrem; 05-04-2011 at 07:31 AM.
serrem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
scootch
DIS Veteran

My dd 11 and I rented them a couple weeks ago. Bikes are plentiful, so you don't need to make advance reservations for them. It is a very relaxing ride. A plus for me is I had her sit on the bench and get a drink of water and I walked over to Serenity Bay and at least got to see it. You really can spend as much time as you want. We rode all the way out and back with stops at the lookout tower and such in less than an hour. I would have liked to go a bit longer, but she was ready to do something else.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

I'd suggest renting the bike early in the day before the island becomes crowded. We were stalked by people waiting to get bikes with child seats as we were returning. We barely got DD out and the bike was gone. You get an hour and you can see everything within that time. I'm not sure how picky they are with the hour limit as there was not check out/check in system to know how long you've been gone.

"Locals" by ssanders79, on Flickr

ssanders79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
marhs
DIS Veteran

Do they have tandem bikes too, for adults with kids, or only childseats?
marhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Thanks for the info! We are two adults cruising solo (our only child has a tail, four paws, and a cold, wet nose...and will be staying with his puppy grandparents this cruise). Seems like this will definitely be a fun time.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhs View Post
Do they have tandem bikes too, for adults with kids, or only childseats?
I do not recall seeing tandem bikes, but I could be wrong.

ssanders79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Mmketeer
DIS Cast Member- no really, but now retired after 10yrs
Where's my free room service I want a cookie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
Thanks for the info! We are two adults cruising solo (our only child has a tail, four paws, and a cold, wet nose...and will be staying with his puppy grandparents this cruise). Seems like this will definitely be a fun time.
Love it, sounds like DH and I. We rented the bikes in November on the Wonder and we got to keep the bikes as long as we wanted per the CM. They had alot of bikes available. They are kinda like beach cruisers and their are no tandem bikes. We rode them around, jumped off took pictures along the way and then took them over to the adult beach where we had a few drinks. It was only like $6 per person.
We did not try to rent them on the Dream (we stayed onboard and rode the Aqua Duck instead), so I don't know if they have gone back to their normal rental policy.

DCL- Wonder(twice in '06 & '01) last one-2010/ Magic/ "Dream"ed it! Apr. 28 2011!
RCCL- Granduer/ Enchantment/ Mariner/Navigator 'Jan.08 & 2010/ Allure/ 5/27/12
Carnival- Fantasy/ Miracle and Inspiration 9/17/09
Mmketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Purdue Mouse
Mouseketeer

We did the getaway package (booked online) which included the bike rental, tube and snorkel rental for the day. It is cheaper than renting separately. The bikes were a lot of fun to ride.

Wonder Alaska 7/23/2012
Dream 2/10/2011
Pop Century 12/27/03
Royal Carribean 2002 Phi Kappa Theta Reunion Cruise.
WDW Boardwalk Inn 10/16/01
Purdue Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Mamalificent
Earning My Ears

I agree that the bikes are great, much nicer than those at Disney's Hilton Head resort. It was a lovely experience, away from the crowds, and easy enough for once-a-year riders like me! There are drinking-water stations every half-mile or so.

We also did the package that included the stingray adventure, snorkeling, and biking. That made the bike rental basically free, compared to non-pkg pricing.
Mamalificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue Mouse View Post
We did the getaway package (booked online) which included the bike rental, tube and snorkel rental for the day. It is cheaper than renting separately. The bikes were a lot of fun to ride.
I was going to do this package. Forgot that it needed to booked in advance. Just as well. It was a coll December day and I did not want to go in the water.

I enjoyed the $12 bike ride.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: