Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #31
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
I agree you must see a show. Madam Tussaud's is up there as well. I love London Dungeon. So gruesome it's borderline campy! But a must do? Ehh..
You should squeeze in Harrod's. They have everything. EVERYTHING! And while you're there you might as well stay for afternoon tea.
Thanks! What exactly is the London Dungeon?

I do intend to hit Harrod's. A lot of folks on the tour have said they intend to hit Harrod's during our free time, so I'll probably save it for that.

Is Harrod's a good place for afternoon tea? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a good spot? I'd really love to do a traditional afternoon tea!

Thanks!
Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #32
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareH37 View Post
The Prince of Wales I feel is the best of the bunch, they serve real ales and the food is standard pub fayre, I've attached the pub's website here, and there's a link to the main menu.

If you want more of a restaurant, there's a restaurant directly opposite the Palace called Blubeckers which is pretty good (I've eaten there numerous times and never had a bad meal), details here.

Also the cafe in the Palace itself serves lighter food such as sandwiches and light hot lunches, nothing fancy but pretty good.
Thanks for the recommendation. I would love to do a meal at a good pub, with standard pub fare. Maybe for a spot of dinner before heading back to Waterloo...

Thanks!
Sayhello
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #33
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post
SayHello, this cafe is where I had the fabulous Bacon Roll sandwich. You could kill two birds with one stone that way!

Also, on the food front, be sure to eat breakfast one morning at a Pret A Manger (they're everywhere). Best. Porridge. Ever.
Oh, cool! I definitely need to go back & read your post about your day at Hampton Court Palace!

And I assume Pret A Manger is like a chain restaurant? This sounds SO good to me! I never have time to make hot cereal, and I love a good porridge. I will DEFINITELY check this out. It would be so cool if there's one near my hotel in Waterloo. Breakfast solved!

Sayhello
Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #34
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

When we did Knights and Lights a few years ago, Harrods was included (along with tea)--is that still part of the tour? If so, you'll have some time to roam around there--and do hit the food area!

Leeds: great maze as mentioned by another poster (we went to Leeds with Disney as a pre-tour before the Baltic cruise). The castle tour is interesting (multi-generation owned it--many periods represented), but I especially loved the grounds and the walk to and from the castle to the parking lot (fairly long walk), and got lost in the maze!!

Another dining option: they have redone the central area of the British Museum, with a cafe there--so that is a possibility; and the crypt cafe in St. Paul's is cafe style--quick, not too expensive--have tea in the crypt area of St Pauls for a cool experience!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #35
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Harrod's--I highly recommend the food halls. There are a couple of restaurants as well. Not to be missed is the toy department. When we were there, a long time ago, there were wonderful wooden rocking horses. Also the linens area--I remember seeing a complete set of linens for a four poster bed. Amazing!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #36
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I have never been on the Adventures by Disney trip but I went in college and my favorites were Princess Diana's fountain, the big park I forget the name, Harrod's- it smelled so yummy, and just walking around the streets.

I am not sure if you are going with family but my absolute favorite was the Absolute Vodka Ice Bar! It was pricey but I loved it. They give you a drink with the price and it is served in an ice glass. They give you robes as well.

Forgot to say the Changing of the Guards at the palace. That is a definite must do as well!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #37
DisneyDee27
Disney fanatic since '75

The London Eye just before sunset was awesome

We took a boat ride on the Thames from the Tower of London. There's so much to do...get the Oyster card it was quite useful.
Honorary Diva
Dee

DL 1975, WDW 1998, Tokyo DL/DS 2006, 2007 & 2013, Paris DL 2009, DCL Dream B2B 2011, 2013 & 2014, DCL Fantasy 2012 & 2014, HKDL 2013, DCL Magic 2014
DisneyDee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #38
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Imperial War Museum, definitely. If you're brave, do the WW1 trench experience; really creepy in the tunnels. There is also a Blitz Experience; my sister and I did it and she starting shaking -- she was 5 during the Blitz, and it all came back to her instantly. Also, the building itself is actually the old Bethehem Hospital, aka "Bedlam" -- it was once the most infamous insane asylum in the world. The Cabinet War Rooms are part of this museum complex, though they are in a separate location, so I think you can still save money on a joint ticket.

If anyone in your party likes to sew, the Victoria & Albert Museum is an absolute must. The costume galleries are out of this world. The V&A is a decorative arts museum, so it also houses a lot of furniture and silver, and some really magnificent Rembrandt "cartoons" -- pencil drawings for large room size murals.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #39
Tiggeriffic79
Mouseketeer

Just as a heads up Leeds Castle is in Maidstone, Kent which is on the outskirts of London (approx. 40 miles from the centre) in the South of England. Leeds (the city), Yorkshire, is approx. 200 miles from London, in the North of England and several hours away. This is probably where your family lives.

Also know that, much like WDW, prices in London are highly inflated compared to comparable prices in the rest of the UK.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #40
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

And the Tate Gallery. DH and I like the size of the Tate, and the content--the Pre-Raphaelite pictures alone make the trip to the Tate worthwhile.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #41
blondietink
DIS Veteran

We have also done an evening pub crawl walking tour ..... it was a cold and rainy night and we were soaked by the time we got to each pub, so those drinks sure did hit the spot. And the thing we love best about England is not the beer, but the cider. Oh so good and gets you nice and warm in just a few minutes.

The best dinner theater tour we ever did was dinner at Hatfield House, Elizabeth I palace. There were wenches serving us mead and dinner, musicians playing, sat on Henry VIII's lap, jugglers, fire-breathers, etc. The dining area has huge chestnut beams, just gorgeous!

Now I wish we had a vacation planned back to England.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #42
blondietink
DIS Veteran

DH just walked in and told me to say "Don't forget to go on the Jack the Ripper tour at night." Yes, it was awesome.

Lastly, I believe you can order from AAA a tube/underground pass for unlimited travel on the London subway/bus system for a specific amount of days. You have to order this in the US as it cannot be bought in England. So, if you are going to be touring for 3 days, you would order a 3 days pass. We have always done this and the only time we had to pay for an actual train ticket is when we traveled outside of London proper and went to someplace like Stratford-upon-Avon.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #43
magicgirl
Mouseketeer

Have a look at the website for The Royal Albert Hall and see if they have anything on you like. It is an amazing place and make sure you cross the road and look at the Albert Memorial. They do tours round during the day and it is just up the road from the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum
magicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #44
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Definately do St. Paul's...go all the way up to the viewing gallery. Incredible view. Also try to do Westminster...very beautiful and just awe-inspiring.
We stayed at the foot of the Eye...great area. Used Waterloo station a lot. Also quick walk to the Embankment station. Very easy to get around.
We booked a special tour of the banks of the Thames...got to learn a ton about the history of the river and then muck about on the shore at low tide. Actually found some wonderful things that we were allowed to keep!
We did the Harry Potter walk...a ton of fun. We did one for Westminster Abby that took us through some beautiful parks and down by Buckingham Palace. http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Ho...s/default.aspx

We found it very easy to get around the city...lots to see and do. I would save some 'free' time and just poke around.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #45
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisney View Post
In addition to the places mentioned, here are few more:

Hyde Park. It is sorta like Central Park in NYC. The Princess Diana Memorial is in Hyde Park.
A lot of folks have mentioned The Princess Diana memorial. That bears checking out!

Quote:
Harrods. Large department store. Not too far from Hyde Park. I recommending eating lunch in the "food court".
I think a bunch of us on the ABD tour are interested in going to Harrods, so I'll probably "save" that one for during the tour!

Quote:
London Eye. Giant Ferris Wheel. Great Views.
This is definitely on the list! I've been told ABD "treats" us to a ride on the Eye!

Quote:
British Museum. I know this was mentioned but it is an absolutely do not miss.
I'm definitely getting the impression this one is a "Must do!"

Quote:
Westminster Abbey.
This one is on the ABD tour. Very much looking forward to it, especially after watching The Wedding.

Quote:
Here are a few activities not to miss:

Take cab somewhere

Ride the Tube (Subway)

Take a train

See a show (play, musical, anything). If you are flexible, you can get discounted tickets the day of the show. There are a million 1/2 price ticket places in London. We saw Blue Man Group for $35 per ticket a few years ago.

Have Afternoon Tea. Go to a hotel and order afternoon tea.

Eat a Pasty
I think there's a good chance I will do several of these!

Quote:
Here is a list of don'ts

-Don't eat at McDonalds. It is even worse than the US
I don't eat at McDonalds here in the US. I have *NO* intention of eating there in London!!!!
Quote:
-Don't get run over. Look three times before crossing the road.
I know the biggest challenge is remembering which side of the road the traffic will be coming from!
Quote:
-Don't complain that everything is expensive. All large cities are expensive.
That's true. But it doesn't mean I can't complain about it! I complain about it here, too!
Quote:
-Don't expect London to be like the US. Be a gracious visitor.
ALWAYS!

Thanks for all the info!
Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: