Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
disneyquestions
DIS Veteran
 
disneyquestions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 771

Exclamation Constipated 4 year old... UPDATE Post 46

I hate coming on here for medical advice, but I'm worried about my DD.

This happened once before about 6 weeks ago that we realized she hadn't gone in several days (almost a week) and by the time we realized it, she was in pain (she was scared to tell me). This time, its even worse. I'm home waiting with her for DH to bring an enema (what the Dr. recommended last time), and shes just yelling and crying that her hiney hurts - she can't even sit still, and shes very hot (though I don't think its a fever, I think its just from being in pain). I've given her the pedia-lax already today, and have been giving it to her for a few days already, and nothing. I'm praying that the enema will clear everything out - otherwise, I'm taking her to the ER.

Has anyone had any experience with this before?
disneyquestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
GalDisney
DIS Veteran
 
GalDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,751

you should take her to the ER or Urgent care of your dr. immediatly!
GalDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,958

This sounds like a condition called toddler/preschooler constipation and encopresis. It can, indeed, become very serious. At this point, the poor little ones system just is not working right. If you can get no results or relief... yes, get to a Dr. ASAP.

BTDT with my son when he was that age...

If it is as bad as you describe, it is a problem that needs some real attention. At some point, the toddler just can't 'go'... and it goes from bad to worse.

Changes start setting up in the lower digestive tract...
Changes that can be very, very, longlasting...

I am not sure what is in the pedia lax that you mention...
but, if it is a fiber supplement or a stimulant... this is NOT what you want to do.

1. MiraLax... MiraLax... MiraLax....
Don't be conservative or worry about it.
Contact your doctor, if you wish, to find out about the correct dosage.
This kind of treatment is what is necessary to get the little one's system working again.

2. We actually took our son to a Ped. Gastroenterologis.... Back then, Miralax was by prescription only, so this was the necessary course of action. Now you can get it at Walmart and any pharmacy.

This will be an ongoing therapy. Especially if the problem persists.
In other words, Miralax is not a stimulant that you take only for symptoms... This should be an ongoing therapy for days (or even weeks) at a time... Then, start pulling back on the Miralax, while ensuring your little one eats a healthy diet with plenty of fiber, liquid, fruits, etc..
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,070

Warm bath. Nice warm bubble bath to relax those muscles. Let her soak in the tub. It will help with the pain and just to relax. I've told mine, you may feel the need to go while you are in the tub. Don't worry about drying off, just go ahead and get on the pot.

Miralax is great. No taste. You can put it in cold water and you wouldn't be able to taste it.

My youngest is not big on fruit and is a picky vegetable eater. I steam and puree broccoli and cauliflower to put in foods. It's amazing how quick those veggies will work for bathroom issues. Fruit smoothies are great too. Try to get your DD to drink plenty of liquids. That will help too.

There is a really good book out for kids with this problem. It's called, "It hurts when I poop". It explains about how your body works. It helped my child.

http://www.amazon.com/Hurts-When-Poo...4199790&sr=1-1

ETA- I have made brownies and put about 1/2 a cup of steamed and pureed broccoli in with the mix. You can't taste the broccoli at all, but it must be cooled completely before serving. I also put broccoli or steamed and pureed cauliflower in my quiche and spaghetti sauce. It helps.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown




Last edited by OceanAnnie; 04-30-2011 at 04:57 PM.
OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
disneyquestions
DIS Veteran
 
disneyquestions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 771

Ok, gave my baby the enema, and it worked within seconds. I talked to the Dr. as she was going, and he also said Mirilax - said the Pedi-Lax that the other Dr suggested was worthless.. great..... Anyway, he said that I have to give her the mirilax for 2 weeks. We are also going to give her prun juice once a day, and give her Activia. He said that there was no need for the ER as long as she goes, which she did. I do think that I need to keep a very close eye on her, and if this happens again, get her to a specialist.

Its funny though, out of both my kids, shes the healthiest eater....


ETA - Wishing On A Star & OceanAnnie - Thanks so much for your posts. Like i said Ocean - She actually is a really good, healthy eater when it comes to the food you mention. Getting her to eat a burger is hard! She would rather just some veggies and fruit - thats one reason I don't understand why this is happening to her. However, shes not a big drinker, so maybe that is part of the problem. And Wishing - Thanks for your insite on the meds! I will def. keep the MiriLax on hand at all times, giving her 3/4 of a capfull every morning like the Dr. just suggested. I'm sorry if I freaked out on here - it was just that my was in pain, and it was so upsetting for me. I shouldn't have waiting for DH to come home with the enema, I should have gone and gotten it myself... But I was scared to leave the house with her since she was yelling to go to the bathroom literally every 5 minutes....

Last edited by disneyquestions; 04-30-2011 at 04:59 PM.
disneyquestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
sunnyday123
Someone hand me my drool towel
I think my eyes were crossed for a week
 
sunnyday123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Under The Sea
Posts: 4,736

Is she afraid to go? My Dd had that problem when she was your DD's age and a little younger.

I gave her ( don't laugh!) Rocket-Poop pills, which were guarantteed to produce, well, rocket-poop. Just shot right out. The poor thing would be running to the bathroom, yelling, "I need a pill, I need a pill!!" because she was convinced it made everything easier.

They were Flintsones vitamins-she never noticed because she took them so quickly. I told her she had to take one very day, and she did.

I also tried to tell her prunes were really big raisins. That one didn't fly.

Miralax does work wonders, good luck.
__________________
me DD :and
sunnyday123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,952

Third the Miralax. You has to use it daily for a long while. My dd was on it for about 3yrs?

In the meantime if she does not "go" after the enema, I would get medical attention asap.

If it does work start using Miralax daily and then modify diet. Pototoes, cheese, breads, pasta, crackers, etc are constipating.

It becomes a vicious cycle of a kid constipated and then they are not hungry and so forth....lived it with my youngest. It sucked. Have to use the Miralax religiously otherwise you are back to square one.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday123 View Post
Is she afraid to go? My Dd had that problem when she was your DD's age and a little younger.

I gave her ( don't laugh!) Rocket-Poop pills, which were guarantteed to produce, well, rocket-poop. Just shot right out. The poor thing would be running to the bathroom, yelling, "I need a pill, I need a pill!!" because she was convinced it made everything easier.

They were Flintsones vitamins-she never noticed because she took them so quickly. I told her she had to take one very day, and she did.

I also tried to tell her prunes were really big raisins. That one didn't fly.

Miralax does work wonders, good luck.
Now that is creative! Love it!
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Bilberry
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 716

Recall this article by Dr. Briffa about milk and wheat being linked to constipation in kids. I know for a nephew of mine, he found constipation relief when he stopped eating and drinking large amounts of milk products.

Good luck! Hope an answer is found soon.

"Gluten and milk linked with constipation in kids"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/03/10/g...ation-in-kids/
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
disneyquestions
DIS Veteran
 
disneyquestions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilberry View Post
Recall this article by Dr. Briffa about milk and wheat being linked to constipation in kids. I know for a nephew of mine, he found constipation relief when he stopped eating and drinking large amounts of milk products.

Good luck! Hope an answer is found soon.

"Gluten and milk linked with constipation in kids"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/03/10/g...ation-in-kids/
She has a little bit of milk with cereal maybe 3-4 mornings a week, but thats it. And its always skim milk (though DH bought 2% the other day). I don't think that would be classified as "large amounts." Any other thoughts?? She eats deli turkey with WW bread for lunch... PB&J.... apples, bananas, grapes, chicken.... She enjoys the occasional Poptart.... lol Ooh, and yogurt - I guess thats a dairy product though. She has maybe 2-3 a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.
disneyquestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
5lilfish
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilberry View Post
Recall this article by Dr. Briffa about milk and wheat being linked to constipation in kids. I know for a nephew of mine, he found constipation relief when he stopped eating and drinking large amounts of milk products.

Good luck! Hope an answer is found soon.

"Gluten and milk linked with constipation in kids"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/03/10/g...ation-in-kids/
My 4 yr old is now gluten free and dairy free after a couple years of battling constipation (and bloating/pain). Miralax did nothing for her. Eventually we found that the new diet along with a magnesium suppliment (calls Calm) and a probiotic got her back on track. Her Celiac blood test is negative but the test can be inaccurate. Also, even if she is not truly suffering from Celiac's, I was told that she may still be intollerant to wheat (and lactose intollerant).

Jess
5lilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyquestions View Post
Ok, gave my baby the enema, and it worked within seconds. I talked to the Dr. as she was going, and he also said Mirilax - said the Pedi-Lax that the other Dr suggested was worthless.. great..... Anyway, he said that I have to give her the mirilax for 2 weeks. We are also going to give her prun juice once a day, and give her Activia. He said that there was no need for the ER as long as she goes, which she did. I do think that I need to keep a very close eye on her, and if this happens again, get her to a specialist.

Its funny though, out of both my kids, shes the healthiest eater....


ETA - Wishing On A Star & OceanAnnie - Thanks so much for your posts. Like i said Ocean - She actually is a really good, healthy eater when it comes to the food you mention. Getting her to eat a burger is hard! She would rather just some veggies and fruit - thats one reason I don't understand why this is happening to her. However, shes not a big drinker, so maybe that is part of the problem. And Wishing - Thanks for your insite on the meds! I will def. keep the MiriLax on hand at all times, giving her 3/4 of a capfull every morning like the Dr. just suggested. I'm sorry if I freaked out on here - it was just that my was in pain, and it was so upsetting for me. I shouldn't have waiting for DH to come home with the enema, I should have gone and gotten it myself... But I was scared to leave the house with her since she was yelling to go to the bathroom literally every 5 minutes....

It's can be a vicious cycle. They wait to go and then it hurts. Then they are scared it will hurt again and wait because it hurt the times before. Once you get her past the fear (and she's regular) she should be okay.

ETA- You are welcome! I know what it's like. I've been there.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
This sounds like a condition called toddler/preschooler constipation and encopresis. It can, indeed, become very serious. At this point, the poor little ones system just is not working right. If you can get no results or relief... yes, get to a Dr. ASAP.

BTDT with my son when he was that age...

If it is as bad as you describe, it is a problem that needs some real attention. At some point, the toddler just can't 'go'... and it goes from bad to worse.

Changes start setting up in the lower digestive tract...
Changes that can be very, very, longlasting...

I am not sure what is in the pedia lax that you mention...
but, if it is a fiber supplement or a stimulant... this is NOT what you want to do.

1. MiraLax... MiraLax... MiraLax....
Don't be conservative or worry about it.
Contact your doctor, if you wish, to find out about the correct dosage.
This kind of treatment is what is necessary to get the little one's system working again.

2. We actually took our son to a Ped. Gastroenterologis.... Back then, Miralax was by prescription only, so this was the necessary course of action. Now you can get it at Walmart and any pharmacy.

This will be an ongoing therapy. Especially if the problem persists.
In other words, Miralax is not a stimulant that you take only for symptoms... This should be an ongoing therapy for days (or even weeks) at a time... Then, start pulling back on the Miralax, while ensuring your little one eats a healthy diet with plenty of fiber, liquid, fruits, etc..
Yep to the Miralax. My DD had this problem around 4-5 years of age. The Dr told me to use this. Said we had to get her little system working again. That stuff is great and you can't taste it, so you can mix it in anything that she will drink.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
MommaSnowwhite
DIS Veteran
 
MommaSnowwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,022

We did the Miralax thing when my DD was younger. She was on it for at least 6 months. She was afraid to go because it hurt and the cycle took off. Our ped. at the time said it was super common. She too loved fruit - maybe too much fiber? I don't know - I just thanked God that the Miralax worked becuase she was so miserable.

Good luck.
MommaSnowwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
LynnM
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: IL
Posts: 100

My 15 yr old son had this problem when he was a toddler. What finally worked for us was a product called fiber juice. He would have at least one juice box a day and after a couple months he was going regularly and we were able to stop the juice boxes. They were expensive but we were willing to pay whatever it took to help him.
LynnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.