Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #91
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

YAY, pics of AKL coming up. Can't wait to hear more. I'm glad to hear it's not a far walk, it's one of the things that worry's me about staying there. But I'm more and more getting sold...

beebeeryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #92
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebeeryan View Post
YAY, pics of AKL coming up. Can't wait to hear more. I'm glad to hear it's not a far walk, it's one of the things that worry's me about staying there. But I'm more and more getting sold...
The walking really wasn't bad for us. It was only about 5 mins from Jambo to Kidani, and our room was really close to the elevators and lobby so we were lucky there. I would definitely recommend staying there, we loved it!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR*November 2014 - AKL Kidani Village for E's First Trip!

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #93
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Part 2

Because we had never stayed at AKL before, we spent a little time walking around and taking pictures. We also went into the shop and bought our refillable mugs.

At around 11:30 we got on the bus for DTD. We had a lunch reservation at T-Rex for 2pm, so this gave us time to walk around DTD. Since we were up so early, we were hungry a little early. We went into T-Rex to see if there was any way we could get in early. Sometimes they will register you early, and you might be able to get in 10 minutes early or something. Well, we got in right away, almost an hour before our reservation! It really wasn't busy at all. We all really enjoyed our meals - but the portions were HUGE so nobody finished.

Here are some pictures from inside - it is really cool theming.

On the bus back to AKL, is when I experienced my only real problem with the buses on this trip. It wasn't that big of a deal, so I consider myself really lucky, but some people just make me wonder. There was a little boy who kept walking around while the bus was moving. There were only a few people on the bus, so he had the room, but the mom let him keep walking around, he sat down almost right on top of me (despite there being many available seats) and squished my left-over lunch that was on my lap. Like I said, it wasn't a big deal, but I cannot believe that she let him walk all around the bus while it was moving.

When we got back to AKL, we went down to the pool, but didn't stay for long because a storm came. Shortly after, I got a text that our garden grocer order was at bell services. This was a surprise because it wasn't supposed to arrive until later that evening. We went right down and picked it up - we weren't doing much else at the time because of the storm. There was a small mix-up with one of our bags of frozen stuff, but bell services fixed it right away. We spent the rest of the night at AKL. We hadn't planned on going to a park that day anyway, so we spent the time looking at the Savannah, and exploring both Kidani and Jambo.

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR*November 2014 - AKL Kidani Village for E's First Trip!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #94
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Part 3

This update is just going to be some more pictures from Day 2.

Here are some pictures of the rain from our balcony.

At 7 (or 7:30) every night, there was a bonfire out by the Savannah. It went until midnight, so we spent time there almost every night! I have pictures of this in daylight, at night, in the rain, etc. etc. lol It always looked so pretty, and I tried so hard to capture it, but I never really did. My camera is officially on the fritz and I always have a hard time capturing how great the resorts really look. Anyway, here are some pictures from Day 2, when it was still kind of rainy and grey out.

This wonderful CM who was down supervising the bonfire area offered to take a picture of Matt and I.

Up Next… Day 3 - MK!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #95
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

I love your matching T-shirts!

Our bad bus experiences always involve dtd! Usually it is the amount of time spent on the bus though. I am surprised that the bus driver didn't tell the boy to stop. Long story short, our girls were yelled at by a bus driver on an empty bus for moving from one seat to another (not hopping all around, but moving). Dh and I weren't doing our job well enough - or maybe we both were too worn out from reminding them how to behave on a bus...probably not my best parenting moment.

I love that AKV has so much to offer even on rainy days! Your pictures turned out nice. The colors look good. I couldn't get over the lady in red. She was quite dressed up, but maybe they ate at Jiko or Sanaa.
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #96
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
I love your matching T-shirts!

Our bad bus experiences always involve dtd! Usually it is the amount of time spent on the bus though. I am surprised that the bus driver didn't tell the boy to stop. Long story short, our girls were yelled at by a bus driver on an empty bus for moving from one seat to another (not hopping all around, but moving). Dh and I weren't doing our job well enough - or maybe we both were too worn out from reminding them how to behave on a bus...probably not my best parenting moment.

I love that AKV has so much to offer even on rainy days! Your pictures turned out nice. The colors look good. I couldn't get over the lady in red. She was quite dressed up, but maybe they ate at Jiko or Sanaa.
Thanks for your nice comments! I thought that the driver would have told him to stop too - sometimes when those buses stop you can get thrown pretty good, and he was pretty small. But I know what you are saying from the parents point of view too - it is a long day for everyone!

AKL really does have so much to offer! Whenever we were down by the fire, I noticed that a lot of people had restaurant pagers, and it is right by Sanaa, so a lot of people went out to look at the Savannah while they waited for their table.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #97
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 3 - Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011

Today was a day that I always look forward to - our first MK day of the trip! I was up super early this morning. I was the first to have a shower (like usual lol) and then we all got ready to go. We were at the bus stop by 7:00am and caught the first bus to MK!

Matt and Grandma on the bus

Mom and I on the bus

This morning was am EMH, and we arrived in great time! We were in the second row of people behind the rope! We couldn't see the rope drop show too well from where we were (the sun, being so close to the rope, etc) but the music does it for me anyway lol After waiting for a time that felt longer than it really was, I saw some of my favourite sites in the world (the real world, not just WDW )

We didn't really come in with a plan. This is one of the things that I enjoy about the fact that I have been lucky enough to visit the world so many times - we just do whatever we feel like doing on that day, no real rushing around or anything. We had a few issues with rides stopping this morning, but it wasn't anything major. We got to ride quite a bit in a short period of time - IASW, Pooh, Stitch, HM, Splash Mountain, Pirates - all of our favourites.

Me and grandma on IASW - we had the whole boat for just the 4 of us! This is her favourite ride, and her and I share a real bond with this ride, it is very special to us both. We didn't get to ride it last year because of the refurb, and every year she says it is going to be her last year going to WDW lol so we make sure we ride it!

I really wanted to ride Winnie the Pooh because of the refurb, and I was really impressed with the new queue! It was so cute, and there is lots for the little ones to do while they are waiting in line.

We didn't get the dining plan on this trip, but there are always a couple of Disney snacks that you just can't pass up! We decided to split a funnel cake from Sleepy Hollow - and it was delicious! I took a couple of castle pictures from where we sat - didn't turn out nearly as beautiful as the sight really is, but they will do lol

We then spent some time walking around the shops (mainly on Main Street). This is something that I really enjoy doing. I love Disney, and I love to shop, so even if I don't actually buy anything, I like walking around all of the different shops. By this point it was the afternoon and starting to get quite hot, so we decided to go back to AKL for a swim break.

Up Next…Day 3 part 2 - Did we get our swim?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #98
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

It has been forever since I last updated! So I need to hurry up and finish this TR!

Day 3 Continued

We had some quick lunch in our room and then headed to the pool. It was very very hot, but thankfully there were lots of available chairs and space at the pool. We relaxed by the pool, swam, watched some of the poolside games, and I did a little reading. When it got close to dinner time, the clouds started rolling in once again, so we went back up to our room.

Mom and Matt playing ping pong.

The weather went from this:

to this:

It was a LOT of rain! And it just kept coming down! We waited for a bit after dinner, but when the rain still wasn't stopped, we decided to put on our ponchos and head to Epcot. It wasn't very crowded, which was nice, so we rode quite a few things, and spent some time in mouse gears. We went on Living with the Land after it was dark, and I tried to get a picture of it, but my camera really wasn't cooperating lol The rain did finally let up while we were at Epcot.

When we got back to the room, everyone went to bed except my grandma and I. We went down to the pool to sit in the hot tub for a while, and it was lovely - this became one of my favourite things to do on the trip!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #99
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 - Part 1

We decided to sleep in this morning! We had a 9:30 reservation for breakfast at 'Ohana, which gave us plenty of time to get there, and we had some time to browse around the Polynesian resort before our reservation. I love this resort, and haven't stayed there in many years - I think it is time I stay there again! We sat down with our pager at about 9:15.

I don't have many pictures from this breakfast - they were all taken with my moms camera, and therefore don't get online lol Here is one of my grandma, brother and I.

I loved this breakfast! The food was delicious. We always make a point to have breakfast there - Matt's favourite character is Stitch, I love the juice, and we love the Polynesian.

After breakfast, we took a little walk around the resort, and then walked to the TTC to catch a monorail to Epcot.

It was a little bit busier at Epcot today than we had experienced so far in our trip, but nothing that was going to stop us from having a great time! Matt's and my mom's favourite Epcot ride is Test Track, so we went there first to grab some fast passes. As you can probably tell, we really took our time and enjoyed ourselves on this trip, with no set plan. We also rode figment this morning - I have heard some bad things about this ride, but Figment himself brings back some great childhood memories for me, so I love riding it!

Here is a picture of Matt cooling off - it was super hot out!!

We also went into Mouse Gears and took some silly pictures

We then spent some time walking around the World Showcase. This is something that my mom hasn't done in a while and really wanted to spend some time there. I really enjoy seeing all of the different countries, and find it really relaxing. Here are a couple of pictures.

After spending some time in the World Showcase, we went back to use our FP's for Test Track, and then took the bus back to AKL!

Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #100
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Part 2

For our regularly scheduled afternoon rain, we played Tower of Terror Clue! Matt is a big fan of board games, so this was one of his souvenirs! We had some fun and lots of laughs! Of course, I had to take a couple of pictures of the board…

Matt had heard about filling the jacuzzi tub with shower gel to make it a "bubble tub". This was something that he HAD to try out. So he put on his bathing suit and filled the tub. He had a blast! Here is a picture of the bubbles part way through - yes, the bubbles did grow higher! And he didn't even use half of one of those mini shower gel bottles.

After dinner, Grandma, Matt and I went to Downtown Disney. I had really wanted to see the new Lego sculptures!

We walked around for a while, and picked up a few of the things on our shopping lists! It was still really warm out, and it was super busy! (at least for DTD at this time of the year). We didn't stay there for too long.

When we got back to the resort, we went down to the pool/hot tub.

The blow-up movie screen was set up, and Alice in Wonderland was the movie of the night! I love that Disney has so many great poolside activities for everyone to enjoy! And I also love the warm Florida nights that are perfect for swimming

After our evening swim, it was time to head back to the room. We had an early morning planned for DHS rope drop!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #101
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 5 - Thursday, August 25th, 2011

So I am pretty much writing this for myself at this point lol but I want to finish it anyway! It feels like this trip was so long ago - I really need to hurry up and finish this TR!

So on day 5 we woke up and got ready in time to be on the 8:00am bus for DHS! We were there with time to spare for rope drop - along with TONS of other people.

Once the park opened, there was a mad rush for TSM. I have read about how crazy this can be, but I have never experienced it until this trip! In the rope drop ceremony, they told people not to run or they wouldn't open TSM! lol But that didn't stop people! A little boy had to stop to tie his shoes and almost got trampled. By the time we got there, the line was already at 30 minutes and the fast pass line was HUGEEEE. We didn't end up waiting the full 30 minutes before we rode. This was my moms first time riding, and she was nervous because she gets motion sickness, but she ended up really liking the ride! I ended up with the highest score!

From there, we went to One Man's Dream. I love this attraction, and it was closed last year when I was there, so it was nice to be able to go in. Walt is such an inspirational man, and it is great to see everything that he accomplished in one place.

We also went on The Great Movie Ride (which we ran to, in order to get out of the rain!), and we did the Magic of Disney Animation. Matt had been waiting to ride ToT and RnR all week - and finally it was time! The wait times were really minimal for both, so he rode them both. We then walked around some of the shops before heading back to AKL. As you can see, this is a recurring theme of this trip! Doing some rides, mainly taking in scenery, walking through the shops, and swimming in the afternoon!

We had a relaxing end to our day around the fire at AKL!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #102
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 6 - Friday, August 26th, 2011

This morning we had another thing planned that was new for all of us - playing mini golf at Blizzard Beach!

We got there around 9 (which was an hour too early because we forgot to check opening time - oops!) so we walked around and took pictures until 10. When we first arrived there were CM's at the entrance, and they let us know that BB was closed that day because of the weather. They told us that many of the attractions cannot run with winds over 20mph and it was fairly windy because of the pending hurricane. It was such a beautiful day though! There were people who kept arriving and were told the same thing - some of them got quite upset! And the bus driver from our resort didn't tell us when we got off of the bus (which was alright for us because we were playing mini golf and not going to the park) but some people got off of the bus and had to sit and wait for the next bus back to AKL.

We got a really good deal on the mini golf, with discounts from our travel agent and from my annual pass.

Here are some pictures! It was a lot of fun, and we would recommend it if you haven't tried it!

He is an ice hockey goalie, so we had to have some fun with this one lol

Since it was such a beautiful day, we spent the afternoon by the pool. A few trips ago we stayed at Pop and they had poolside BINGO - this was Matt's favourite!! We won a ton of prizes, and it was really fun. Today, they had poolside BINGO at AKL, so we decided to play! It was a little different from the last time we played, and none of us won any of the games (:O) but we had a good time anyway!

Last edited by Disney9.9.10; 12-07-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #103
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 6 - Part 2

We left AKL, and went to MK at around 5. Since we had already been to MK (a few times that trip!) we walked around and picked what we wanted to ride when we saw it. We got a fast pass for Peter Pan and then headed towards our dinner reservation.

We had dinner reservations at Liberty Tree Tavern for 7:30. It was pretty busy tonight!

I really love the simple vegetables and potatoes dinner here. We eat here on almost every trip.

When we were finished dinner they were setting up for MSEP - we decided to stay and watch! I really love this parade and haven't done much parade watching on my last couple of trips, so I made a point of seeing at least 1.

After the parade we went over and used our FP's for Peter Pan and watched Wishes from Fantasyland. I can't get enough of that show!

After the fireworks, since it was EMH night, we walked around some more, grandma bought a Christmas present for someone, and then we headed back to AKL. We were really not thinking and ended up leaving the park at a really busy time, and the bus stops were packed! There was this amazing CM at our bus stop named Kyle. He was really friendly and made sure that everyone was respectful and waited their turn. There were bunches of people who tried to walk up to the front of the line (despite the whole bus stop being full - not sure what they were thinking) and one guy in an ECV got really angry because he was not immediately let onto a bus. Other than that, the line moved really quickly, they had a lot of buses running, so we didn't have to wait in line for very long.

Then it was back to AKL and off to bed!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #104
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 7 - Saturday, August 27th, 2011

It has been forever since I have updated, and I am almost finished with this TR! The holidays were super busy, and my husband and I just got a puppy!! So I haven't had much time for the boards. I hope that everyone had a great holiday as well!

Now, on with the rest of my pictures!

Today was Animal Kingdom day!

When we first walked in, they had these adorable dwarf deer (I can't remember what the actual name is)

One of the first things we did was watch It's Tough to be a Bug. There was no line and we walked right in! It's a great little show!

Since Matt loves the big rides now, we also had to ride Everest! 4 of us went on the first time, and the longest part of the line was the actual walking! I am not a big fan of roller coasters, so I only went on once, but Matt and Jim went on a couple of times since the line was so short. I browsed the store at the end of the ride while I waited. We always seem to pick the hottest day to go to Animal Kingdom, so it was nice to be in the air conditioning!

We spent a lot of this day doing shows. We watched the Festival of the Lion King, which I have seen a bunch of times before, but it is a great show! At this point in our day, it was raining a little, so the show was packed!

We also went to see the Finding Nemo Musical. I had not seen this one before, and I love Finding Nemo! This show wasn't as busy, so we had lots of space in the theatre. It is a really cute show, and if you haven't seen it before, I would recommend it!!

Here are a few pictures from the show.

I was feeling really tired this afternoon, so I decided to go back to AKL after we ate lunch. I went back by myself for a little quiet time. By the time I arrived back in the room, it was pouring rain!! I managed to get back to the room dry, but I wondered whether my family would be as lucky…

They got back to the room and they were all dripping wet! Soaked right to the bone! I guess I knew what I was doing by leaving earlier lol

I spent the rest of my day quietly around AKL. Wall-e was the movie of the night by the pool, so we went down and watched some of it.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #105
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Day 8 - Sunday, August 29th, 2011

Our last day at AKL was already here The week flew by so quickly.

I got up early this morning and went down to the pool by myself. There was pretty much nobody there, so I took the opportunity to take a bunch of poolside pictures (surprise, surprise lol) and relax in peace and quiet. Here are some of the shots that I got.

AKL has an absolutely gorgeous pool area. If you haven't gone, it is definitely worth going, even just to look around. I was so relaxed, it was a really great vacation.

Here are a few more pictures that Matt and I took around the grounds before we headed to MK that night.

and one of my favourites

That night we went to Magic Kingdom for EMH.

A lady was kind enough to take a picture of us at the bus stop before we went.

I am working on compiling pictures from all over WDW, so I wanted to get some shots of the buildings on Main Street.

We went on a bunch of our favourite rides that we wanted to get done before we left, and then we shared a funnel cake while we watched Wishes. It was the perfect last night on a great trip! I can never get enough of the atmosphere at MK!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: