Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
Kari-B
Mouseketeer

Just had our ten year anniversary, wish I would have thought of that for then. Oh well, maybe 15?
Kari-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

So, I had time tonight..hehe

I am glad I jumped over... You are lovely and the photo from your wedding is breathtaking!

Let's see. I have a little brother too who is ten years younger. (However, I am more than ten years older than you and he is now close to your age...and he is a new dad!)

Garden Grocer is a great option! We used them twice. However, we ordered way more than needed. Will you be on the dining plan? It is so much food!

I can't tell you about staying at Kidani. Even though I am DVC, I am a Jambo house girl! The Kidani pool is fabulous and your bus stop picks up and drops off before Jambo! You should request a room close to the bus stop end to help out your grandmother.

Even though there is no quick serve, there is a grab and go in the shop (sorry to say I've not even checked it out.)

I heard about other companies that provide the same service as the Disney Florists. You may look into them if DF doesn't offer the items you are looking for. My FIL sent us a fruit basket through Disney florist and it came in a giant Wicker Mickey head that I had to stuff in a suitcase. Something to consider when ordering for your mom--how packable are the items.
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
So my mom was talking to our travel agent yesterday, and she suggested this website for us.

www.gardengrocer.com

Basically you go online, grocery shop, and everything gets delivered to your resort! (for a small delivery fee)

We have a few ADRs booked, but because we are staying in a villa now, we decided to cut the dining plan all together, and we can save some money by buying food and cooking at the resort. They will even deliver it to bell services so we don't have to waste time on our trip waiting for the delivery! We were originally going to go to crossroads or something to shop, but I like this idea much better because we will save so much time.

Has anyone used this service before? How was your experience?

We used it last summer when we stayed in the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. It works great. I liked that I could go on the website and pick things out, since brands and stuff are different in Florida sometimes. This made it easy. I got a confirmation via email I think. Then a day or two before I got a voicemail on my cell phone, the number I had given. I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number, I do that I'm so bad, hate the phone. So it was just confirming everything. Fine. Then I had selected the 9-11am window for delivery since our flight was arriving at 10am. On arrival day, we got picked up by Happy Limo at the airport and it was fast, by 10:30 we were in the car on the way and while in the car I got another message from Garden Grocer saying they had just delivered to Bell Services. We got there 10 minutes later and our room was ready and we just called down to Bell Services and they brought it up to us. It was all packed nicely with cold stuff in a separate bag so Bell Services could keep it cold, etc...

Now, we probably ordered too much, it was just breakfast stuff for the kids and some fruit, bread for sandwiches that we never really made. Although I did use it for breakfast for the kids. I did not want to cook dinners on vacation. I probably won't order from them again. I can bring a few things in the suitcase and just grab some stuff from the store at the hotel if need be. It's more expensive at the hotel, but when you factor in the delivery fee and tipping, it's break even really if you aren't getting a lot. If you are going to cook meals or even just make lunches then it would be worth it to go through Garden Grocer. We intended too, but it just didn't work out that way for us. Service was great though. I would highly recommend them.

beebeeryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari-B View Post
Just had our ten year anniversary, wish I would have thought of that for then. Oh well, maybe 15?
Definitely 15th lol You could start planning soon! Because we all know how much we love to plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
So, I had time tonight..hehe

I am glad I jumped over... You are lovely and the photo from your wedding is breathtaking!

Let's see. I have a little brother too who is ten years younger. (However, I am more than ten years older than you and he is now close to your age...and he is a new dad!)

Garden Grocer is a great option! We used them twice. However, we ordered way more than needed. Will you be on the dining plan? It is so much food!

I can't tell you about staying at Kidani. Even though I am DVC, I am a Jambo house girl! The Kidani pool is fabulous and your bus stop picks up and drops off before Jambo! You should request a room close to the bus stop end to help out your grandmother.

Even though there is no quick serve, there is a grab and go in the shop (sorry to say I've not even checked it out.)

I heard about other companies that provide the same service as the Disney Florists. You may look into them if DF doesn't offer the items you are looking for. My FIL sent us a fruit basket through Disney florist and it came in a giant Wicker Mickey head that I had to stuff in a suitcase. Something to consider when ordering for your mom--how packable are the items.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! We are not doing the dining plan, which is why we figured the website would be good for us. We do have some ADRs booked for dinner, so it will mainly be breakfast and lunch that we will buy for. My mom figured this would save us a bunch of money, and I am okay with that lol And good tip about getting Disney floral items that will be easy to pack - sometimes we don't think about these things until it happens! I will definitely keep that in mind though! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebeeryan View Post
We used it last summer when we stayed in the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. It works great. I liked that I could go on the website and pick things out, since brands and stuff are different in Florida sometimes. This made it easy. I got a confirmation via email I think. Then a day or two before I got a voicemail on my cell phone, the number I had given. I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number, I do that I'm so bad, hate the phone. So it was just confirming everything. Fine. Then I had selected the 9-11am window for delivery since our flight was arriving at 10am. On arrival day, we got picked up by Happy Limo at the airport and it was fast, by 10:30 we were in the car on the way and while in the car I got another message from Garden Grocer saying they had just delivered to Bell Services. We got there 10 minutes later and our room was ready and we just called down to Bell Services and they brought it up to us. It was all packed nicely with cold stuff in a separate bag so Bell Services could keep it cold, etc...

Now, we probably ordered too much, it was just breakfast stuff for the kids and some fruit, bread for sandwiches that we never really made. Although I did use it for breakfast for the kids. I did not want to cook dinners on vacation. I probably won't order from them again. I can bring a few things in the suitcase and just grab some stuff from the store at the hotel if need be. It's more expensive at the hotel, but when you factor in the delivery fee and tipping, it's break even really if you aren't getting a lot. If you are going to cook meals or even just make lunches then it would be worth it to go through Garden Grocer. We intended too, but it just didn't work out that way for us. Service was great though. I would highly recommend them.
Thanks for your input! I agree with you about not wanting to cook on vacation, but it will mainly be breakfast and lunch that we will be preparing ourselves, so I don't think it will be too bad. We will mainly buy things like fruit and yogurt for breakfast, so that doesn't take much work. Plus there are 4 adults, so we can all take turns making things. Hopefully it will all work out for us, but if not, lesson learned!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

So on the weekend we booked our flights! It wasn't the cheapest we've ever got flights, but the price was much better than it has been, so we figured we might as well just book them. So now we are that much closer to our trip!

So because I love lists, I am going to make a list of my must do's for each of the parks.

I will start with

Some attractions I haven't done at all, and some I haven'd done in a few years
- WDW Railroad - It has been a while since I've gone on this, so I would like to do it on this trip
- Swiss Family Treehouse - I don't think I've ever done this one, and I think my brother would enjoy it
- The Enchanted Tiki Room - Again, haven't done this one in a while (before new management) and I don't think my brother has ever done it
- Tom Sawyer Island
- Liberty Belle Riverboat
- Carousel of Progress - I really enjoy this, but my brother hasn't been so I wouldn't mind showing him. Also, Jim would love this one.
- Hall of Presidents - this one is a maybe
- Country Bear Jamboree - it has been years since I've seen this one!
- Parades - lately we haven't watched parades like we used to, so I want to catch at least 1 parade

And of course we have our regulars
- Jungle Cruise
- POTC
- All of the mountains
- The Haunted Mansion
- Mickey's Philharmagic
- Peter Pan's Flight
- It's A Small World - Gramma's favourite ride, which was down for refurb on our last trip, so this is a MUST do
- Dumbo
- Mad Tea Party
- Stitch's Great Escape
- Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
- TTA

*Note - I am aware that some of these could be down for refurbishments and such, but I haven't really checked what is supposed to be closed so I just made a complete list. So whatever is up and running, we will do!

This will be the longest list of them all. MK is our favourite park, so we will spend more time there than any of the other parks.

One other thing we never miss…

There are no fireworks like Disney fireworks!!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Continuing with the lists, I will now post our must do's for

- Spaceship Earth - one of my absolute favourites!
- Living With The Land - We love this one even though it isn't your usual thrill ride lol
- Soarin - no explanation necessary lol
- Test Track - mom and little brothers favourite
- Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure - this is a new one for us, but we have wanted to do it for a while, so I figure now is as good a time as any!
- World Showcase - I spent quite a bit of time here on my last trip, but I really enjoy it! I like to just wander around, take pictures, go in the shops, possibly see a show or two, and catch the 2 rides
- Illuminations - another great fireworks show from Disney! We will catch this at least once!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #22
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Now the list for

- RnR and ToT - My little brother really wants to do both of these, and take me with him but I am not much of a ride person and just thinking about this gives me anxiety, so we will have to see how this works out lol
- Toy Story Mania! - Love it!
- Studio Backlot Tour - We usually do this one
- The Great Movie Ride - Another one we usually do
- Star Tours - now that the new one is opening up we will have to do it!
- Fantasmic
- Streetmosphere - we also hope to catch some good streetmosphere while we are there
- We also might want to see some of the shows like Beauty and the Beast, Lights, Motors, Action, Muppets 3D, etc.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

And now for Animal Kingdom, which I have no pictures of in photobucket at the moment

- It's Tough to Be a Bug
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Kali River Rapids
- Expedition Everest
- Dinosaur
- Festival of the Lion King
- Finding Nemo, the musical - haven't watched this one before
- Trails - also like to walk some of the trails, and go to Rafiki's Planet Watch, which is something we don't normally do

Old 05-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #24
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Hi Krysten!!! I'm joining in on your planning fun!!! I agree with everyone else to say that your wedding pics are absolutely beautiful!!! Wow.....I wished we could have afforded the DFTW, but alas, we opted for our favorite spot in Maine......

Can't wait to read more!!!
Victoriasmom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
Hi Krysten!!! I'm joining in on your planning fun!!! I agree with everyone else to say that your wedding pics are absolutely beautiful!!! Wow.....I wished we could have afforded the DFTW, but alas, we opted for our favorite spot in Maine......

Can't wait to read more!!!
Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words We definitely feel fortunate that we were able to have a DFTW!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #26
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!
This is really not an important update at all haha It is a long weekend where I live, I did a bunch of yard work yesterday, and today the weather isn't so good, so I have some time to be on the boards -- and well I'm a little bored lol

In actual trip planning news, I bought some of those soft cover photo albums (or I guess some call them brag books?) today. One for each of us that is going on the trip. I have already started, but I am making a little book for each of us. I put each person's favourite character on the cover of their book, and I am putting in all kinds of information. I have already done pages for park maps, and each of our "must-do's" for each park. I am planning on adding schedules, a list of everyones cell phone number (Just in case!!), a list of our ADR's (and the info that goes along with them), character meeting spots, and lots of other fun stuff! I am doing this as a surprise for everyone, so I am pretty excited about it!!

**DH just said to me "Planning are we?" What a great man he is, he really gets it

Anyway, I found this survey on someone else's PTR, and thought I would borrow it. I believe the poster was ronmel, but sorry if I am wrong! I just want to give credit where credit is due!

1. What is your name?::
Krysten

2. When was the first time you went to Disney World?::
I believe it was in 1989 or 1990 - I was quite young either way

3. When was the last time you went to Disney World?::
Last September (2010)

4. When is the next time you will be in Disney World?::
A few more months!! August 2011

GETTING THERE

5. How do you usually get to to Disney World?::
It really depends on the trip. We alternate between flying and driving. Since we live in Canada, it is quite a drive, so we don't always do it. Last trip some of us drove because we had all of the wedding stuff to bring and it was just easier. But sometimes we take little short trips (like this one in August) and we fly to waste less time

6. What do you do to pass the time while getting there?::
Sleep I don't like flying, so I usually don't sleep the night before and have to take an anti-anxiety on the plane. When awake, I will listen to my iPod, or do a crossword puzzle, or sometimes read

7. Do you have any particularly memorable or interesting experiences you can recall happening on your journey to Disney World?::
Umm… there have been so many lol This isn't exactly on the journey, but it is so cute I have to share. My brother was 2 at the time, and we were going around Christmas time. So we told him that once there was lots of snow we would leave to see Mickey. We woke up to leave at about 3 in the morning and my mom told my brother that there was a lot of snow so we could leave. His response: "Before we go see Mickey, can we Make…A…Snowmannnnn??" Haha it was much funnier the way he said it, but it is a great memory

LODGING

8. What is your favorite place you have stayed at and why? It does not have to be on property::
We stayed at the Grand Floridian for our Honeymoon, and I have wanted to stay there ever since I first set eyes on the place. It is just the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I must say though, that I love staying on Disney property. I have stayed at the values many times, and I really love the atmosphere. They are always clean, and a lot of fun, so I have nothing bad to say about those either.

9. What is your least favorite place you have stayed at and why? (It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad place, it's just that maybe out of all your list of favorites, this would be your least favorite)::
Off-site. Never again.

MAGIC KINGDOM

10. What is your favorite attraction in the MK?
This is a hard one. MK is without a doubt my favourite park. I love IASW (It's a Classic), Splash Mountain (much more than I thought it would be), Peter Pan's Flight, Haunted Mansion, the list really goes on and on

11. What is your least favorite attraction in the MK?
The Frontierland Shooting Arcade? It costs extra, and doesn't really say "Disney" to me

12. Tell me a random memory you have involving the MK.
I might have to come back to this one lol

13. What is your favorite place to eat in the MK?
I am the absolute worst person to ask "What's your favourite" questions to you because I can never pick just one thing. But my favourites in MK are probably Crystal Palace and Liberty Tree Tavern

EPCOT

14. What is your favorite attraction in Epcot?
Probably Spaceship Earth. It's the ride in the big ball! lol But I love the story, and all of the stars at the end! I also really love Soarin' and Living with the Land

15. What is your least favorite attraction in Epcot?
Mission:Space. I have never ridden it, because I know I couldn't handle it

16. Tell me a random memory you have involving Epcot.
Hmmm… I will come back to this one too

17. What is your favorite place to eat in Epcot?
For breakfast, Akershus, and for Dinner, Le Cellier

18. What is your favorite country in the World Showcase?
France. I just love the way that it is done up, it has a really great atmosphere.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

19. What is your favorite attraction in HS?
The Art of Disney Animation. The drawing classes are so much fun! Other ones I love are the Great Movie Ride, and of course TSM.

20. What is your least favorite attraction in HS?
RnR. I'm really not a ride person haha

21. Tell me a random memory you have involving HS.
Is it bad that I am having a hard time thinking of these? I think I have too many floating around in there.

22. What is your favorite place to eat in HS?
Quick Service - Pizza Planet, Table Service - 50's Prime Time Cafe. I would really like to try the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre though!

22a. What is your least favorite place to eat in HS?
I haven't really eaten at many places there, so none at this time.

23. Do you watch the Citizens of Hollywood?
No.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

24. What is your favorite attraction in the AK?
I love the Festival of the Lion King show and for rides, I would say Dinosaur.

25. What is your least favorite attraction in the AK?
The rides in Dino-Rama. Not really my thing.

26. Tell me a random memory you have involving the AK.
Every time I go on Kali River Rapids, no matter who I sit beside, or where I sit, I get soaked to the bone. Every. Time. lol One time I had to go back to the resort to change, and left a puddle on the bus seat from my wet clothes I usually try to do that one right before we leave the park!

27. What is your favorite place to eat in the AK?
Of the ones I've tried, I would say Restaurantosaurus.

OTHER DISNEY PLACES

28. Which water parks have you been to and which one was your favorite?
I have been to both of the current water parks, as well as River Country (way back in the day!) They are both so different, I don't really have a favourite.

29. What was your favorite part about that water park?
Typhoon Lagoon has a great lazy river and water coasters. I love the theming of Blizzard Beach, and how Christmas music has been played in a water park lol

30. Have you been to Disney Quest?
No I really need to do that one of these times.

31. What was your favorite thing about Disney Quest?
See above.

32. Have you been to the Wide World of Sports?
I don't think I have.

33. What was your favorite thing about the Wide World of Sports?
My grandparents saw a baseball game there last winter, and Mickey threw the first pitch. I think that is amazing!

EXTINCT DISNEY

34. What are some of your favorite attractions that are no longer around?
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! That ride was amazing. Also, the original Main Street Electrical Parade.

35. Have you ever been to Discovery Island when it was still running?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

36. Have you ever been to River Country when it was still running?
Yes! Loved it!

37. What was your favorite part about the now shut down Pleasure Island?
We never really went there a whole lot. But I liked that Disney also had a night life.

38. What is your favorite extinct show/parade?
I'm sure I could find more, but I loved the original Main Street Electrical Parade.

RANDOMS

39. What is one thing you MUST do every time you go to Disney?
Walk slowly up to Cinderella Castle and just soak in the amazingness all around.

40. What is one thing you MUST eat every time you go to Disney?
This is going to sound very juvenile, but I have the palate of a 10 year old, so I would say Mac and Cheese!

41. What is something you haven't done yet that you look forward to doing?
Going to MVMCP. We have been at Christmas many times, but have never done the party for some reason. We have made some unofficial plans to do it soon!

42. What is something you have done and have no interest in doing again?
Nothing!

43. Who is your favorite Disney female?
Minnie Mouse.

44. Who is your favorite Disney male?
Mickey Mouse.

45. Who is your favorite Disney villain?
Maleficent. She is just so charismatic.

46. Your earliest Disney Park Memory::
Driving down in an RV for hours and hours and then finally seeing the signs saying that we were there

47. What other Disney Parks have you been to outside of Disney World?
None. I wouldn't mind seeing the others, but I don't think anything can compare to WDW.

48. Have you ever had to explain your love for Disney to someone who just didn't "get" it?
More times than I could count. We got married there last year, and every time we told someone where we were getting married, I had to explain to people that we were getting married in a chapel with a reverend, not married by Mickey Mouse in a ride line-up.

49. Blasphemous I know, but where is your favorite place to travel outside of Disney?
I have only really travelled to some of the different states and around Ontario, most of my trips are to Disney. But DH and I want to go to Australia and Europe, and I love beaches and sun!

50. Which Disney character reminds you of you?
None. They are all so unique. As am I

Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #27
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Congrats on booking the airfare. Love your lists. We try to do something new each trip while continuing with the favorites!

I will have to stop back for the survey...Maybe I will complete it in parts - unless I find myself unable to sleep one night.

Hope your weather improves, and your books sound like they will be very useful! (and fun to make too)
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

So since this was a long weekend, I have had some time to start my surprise books, and I have uploaded some pictures. I am nowhere near being finished these ones, but I will share what I have done so far. I got the idea for this from someone on the boards (sorry I can't remember the screen name). I am making a book for each member of our trip with different types of info in it - phone numbers, maps, reservations, must do's, etc.

The cover has the persons favourite character on it (or in my case, multiple characters because I cannot pick just one!) and the paper is their favourite colour.

So far on the inside, I only have the MK park map page, and a blank page for notes printed and cut out.

Sorry the pictures aren't great.

Last edited by Disney9.9.10; 07-27-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
Kari-B
Mouseketeer

LOVE the firework pic!
Kari-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #30
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari-B View Post
LOVE the firework pic!
Thanks Disney fireworks are the best!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: