Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
girlieeee
Mouseketeer

Kingdom Keepers

I didn't know where to post this, sorry if I chose wrong.

So, I found out today that there is a whole series of books for young readers called Kingdom Keepers!

Has anyone had kids that read these? Are they good? I got the first one in the series for my 10 year old DS to read at the airport & on the plane.

May 2011 -8 Nights Boardwalk Villas "Just the 4 of us" //May 2007 -8 Nights Pop Century with lots of family // May 2005 - 6 Nights Pop Century //August 2002 - Disneyland (only 1 day) // Many times when I was little @ Disneyland
girlieeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

My son, who is 14, just finished reading the 4th one. He loves them. I have read the first 3 and I enjoy them because of the Disney setting.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
girlieeee
Mouseketeer

Oh great! Maybe I will read it when he is done!

May 2011 -8 Nights Boardwalk Villas "Just the 4 of us" //May 2007 -8 Nights Pop Century with lots of family // May 2005 - 6 Nights Pop Century //August 2002 - Disneyland (only 1 day) // Many times when I was little @ Disneyland
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
terbethk
DIS Veteran

I'm on the third one as well. Dh just started on the first one and is enjoying it so far.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
rebelbuddhist
Mouseketeer

They are not just for kids

I am a fourth/fifth grade teacher and have read 3 of the series. They are enjoyable especially since the settings are in WDW and I have been to all the places described/mentioned. It's fun to be able to talk with my students some of whom also have been to WDW.
rebelbuddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I have only read the first book. My library doesn't have any of the others. I have however read the Starcatcher (all) series and the Neverland (first two books).

I really enjoyed them. I have requested the other Kingdom Keeper books so hopefully they will get them. They have the second book on mp3, which they aren't loaning out yet (not sure why they didn't get a book-who wants to listen to it?).
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

I just ordered the first 2 on amazon.com for $0.01 plus $3.99 S/H for my oldest.

Also for others looking at books for the same age group, there is a series "Peter and the Starcatchers" which is Peter Pan pre-Neverland. There are 4 in that series too.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
jillyb
DIS Veteran

I've read all 3 of the Kingdom Keeper books and read them to my 8 y/o DD as bedtime stories. She loved them! We're reading Book 4 together.

I've also read all of the Peter and the Starcatcher books and read those to my DD as bedtime stories as well. We both have read all of the Neverland books too.

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century

Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
jillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
amym2
DIS Veteran

I started to read the first one and honestly it was too creepy for me. I was afraid it would spoil my love for Disney, picturing the characters coming to life and fighting with each other. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but they weren't for me and I haven't encouraged my kids to read them.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Disney's Fab 4
Luv'n The House Of Mouse!

My son (13) has read 2 and in the process of reading the 3rd one. He loves them.

Disney's Fab 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

I love these books, and I'm 42, so they are not just for kids!

Some of the stuff might be a little scary for younger kids, but if you talk about it with them, they should be fine.

I told DH that next trip we take, I'm re-reading all the books before we go and looking for all the stuff the kids have to get, sort of like a scavenger hunt! This last one (Power Play) really got my missing Disney

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
girlieeee
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies. My DS 10 is pretty mature and I think he should be okay with the scary stuff but I will warn him (of course, this may give him MORE reason to want to read them, lol!). If he reads this series and enjoys it, I will recommend the other series (Neverland/Starcatcher).

Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

What is the series about?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

We read the first three, my daughter (13) and I. We thought they were "okay". The story had so many places where it could have been great, but it was lacking in so many ways.

The book has unacceptable innuendos for kids books. The characters lack character and the story lacks detail. One of the things that really bothered me about the books is the near-slam on Disney Cast Members. He wrote most of them as they were stupid, asinine, idiotic jerks.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
girlieeee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookmey View Post
What is the series about?
Product Description
Featuring a new paperback cover to match hardcover of Kingdom Keepers II:

In this fantastical thriller, five young teens tapped as models for theme park "guides" find themselves pitted against Disney villains and witches that threaten both the future of Walt Disney World and the stability of the world outside its walls. Using a cutting-edge technology called DHI--which stands for both Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging--Finn Whitman, an Orlando teen, and four other kids are transformed into hologram projections that guide guests through the park. The new technology turns out, however, to have unexpected effects that are both thrilling and scary. Soon Finn finds himself transported in his DHI form into the Magic Kingdom at night. Is it real? Is he dreaming?

Finn's confusion only increases when he encounters Wayne, an elderly Imagineer who tells him that the park is in grave danger. Led by the scheming witch, Maleficent, a mysterious group of characters called the Overtakers is plotting to destroy Disney's beloved realm, and maybe more.

This gripping high-tech tale will thrill every kid who has ever dreamed of sneaking into Walt Disney World after hours and wondered what happens at night, when the park is closed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: