Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #106
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

The tilapia looks great! Too bad the chicken wasn't...I wasn't a fan of their shrimp tacos either. If I ever feel like going back, I'll hope that the tilapia is still around.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #107
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

We are really looking forward to trying La Hacienda in August and DS has been eyeing that tilapia! So glad to hear that it was good! We will probably share the same appetizers as well so again, really happy to hear that everything was good. DH and I will probably split the combo plate so we won't be trying that chicken but I admit it looked good and I do tend to prefer dry to 'wet' chicken.
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #108
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox.jea View Post
My brother will cross the park after eating a large meal for this funnel cake & I'm a huge fan of the simple rootbeer floats. I'm gonna have to try this funnel cake. I recently had one @ a carnival near home & it was sooo good. I gave in to this fried food. Oh well, life is short. Eat FUNNEL CAKE!!! Reviews are very entertaining!!

I just want to add what a great deal on the 5 beer choices my husband will LOVE that & I LOVE the wine passport! Wayy less money than what we spent last time! Thanks for posting that. I wonder if they'd pour the beer as you finish. I don't like warm beer. Would you know? & Do you know if we both wanted the Rosa in Italy if we could sub & get 2 rosa??

Sorry to take so long to reply to your question Rox.jea. About 10 days ago DH and DS decided that we should take a family vacation this summer (flying out on July 6th) to Boston and the New England area. That gave me less than 3 weeks to plan a 10 day vacation to an area we had never been before! So while the trip planning this last week has been fun, it has also been very time-consuming and consequently I've had no time to check the DISboards.

Anyway, getting back to your question regarding the wine passport. No, unfortunately you can not make any substitutions. The wines listed on the passport are exactly what you get. Sorry

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #109
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
The tilapia looks great! Too bad the chicken wasn't...I wasn't a fan of their shrimp tacos either. If I ever feel like going back, I'll hope that the tilapia is still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
We are really looking forward to trying La Hacienda in August and DS has been eyeing that tilapia! So glad to hear that it was good! We will probably share the same appetizers as well so again, really happy to hear that everything was good. DH and I will probably split the combo plate so we won't be trying that chicken but I admit it looked good and I do tend to prefer dry to 'wet' chicken.

Thank you both for continuing to read and make comments. It's encouraging to know I still have some readers out there.
I'm sorry I haven't had any updates in almost a week (see my above post), but I promise to post my review of our Brown Derby lunch tonight. And I'll try to get a few more reviews in before we leave on the 6th, then I'll finish them up once we return on the 16th.

BTW, GoofySon'sMom, I see you are from Upstate New York. You probably know quite a bit about the New England area. Do you have any tips for me???

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 06-27-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #110
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post

BTW, GoofySon'sMom, I see you are from Upstate New York. You probably know quite a bit about the New England area. Do you have any tips for me???
Unfortunately, I don't. I visit Boston once or twice a year but just for a weekend mostly to see the Red Sox and we just do the typical tourist stuff. I definitely know more about Disney than my own "neighborhood"!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #111
jagmom
Mouseketeer

I was in Boston 2 years ago. It is an expensive city, but lots of historical places to visit. I rode a bus around that you could get off at certain stops for as long as you wanted. That was nice.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #112
jabead
DIS Veteran

Today we went to Hollywood Studios. After riding Toy Story Mania, we ventured over to the Star Tours ride to see if they might again be having a soft opening (I’d heard they had had their very first soft opening day for the new, improved version of this ride the day before, in the afternoon of May 14th). Although the CMs working in the area would not confirm that the ride would be opening, there was much activity in the area of the ride so we figured there was a good chance that it would be and joined the small line. We waited about 1/2 hour (as the line behind us continued to build) and then the ride did in fact open!

DD and I both enjoyed this very much and thought it was much better than the previous version. When leaving we noticed that they also had the fast pass machines open, so grabbed passes so that we could ride again later. After a few more rides, it was then time for our 11:30 reservation for…

Lunch at THE HOLLYWOOD BROWN DERBY

THE SHORT VERSION

Highlights – Birthday Card (with our pictures) & Complimentary Dessert, Cocktails, Pork Chop, Excellent Service

Disappointments – Crab cake, Cobb salad

Would We Return? – Probably

THE LONG VERSION

Since our reservation was for 11:30 we got to see the opening ceremony for the restaurant. They had chosen a guest who was celebrating her birthday to cut the ribbon and walk down the red carpet.

Once she and her husband had been seated they began seating the rest of the guests, including DD and me. Here is a picture of the still-empty restaurant…

Our server, Darrin, soon introduced himself and took our drink orders. We both decided to order a cocktail, as there were several on the menu that caught our eye. We chose the Cheryl’s Peach Tree Punch, which was Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Orange Juice, Grenadine and a splash of Sprite for $9.50. So if you like Fuzzy Navels, then I think you will like this drink.
I don’t know who Cheryl is, but we really liked her punch!

For our other cocktail, we chose the Celebrity Status for $8.50. This was Kahlúa, Vodka, and Half & Half with a splash of Coca-Cola. If you like Kahlúa drinks (especially White Russians), then I think you will like this one. We both liked these two drinks equally, so decided to share them.

Cheryl's Peach Tree Punch and Celebrity Status

About this time, our server came to our table with a camera and asked if he could take our picture. He later then presented me with a birthday card which included two of the pictures he had taken. I thought this was really nice.

Anyway getting back to the food now, we were brought a basket of rolls which were warm and quite good.

We had decided to pay for this meal OOP, as I really wanted to try the Cobb Salad (never have in my previous two or three times here) but thought it would be too much food if I had it as an appetizer in addition to an entrée and dessert with the DeLuxe Dining Plan.

So for our shared appetizer, we chose the Blue Lump Crab Cake with Potato Crust, Green Cabbage Slaw, Cognac -Mustard Sauce, and Rémoulade. This was good, but IMHO paled in comparison to the crab cake at the Flying Fish Café.

Blue Lump Crab Cake with Potato Crust

For her entrée, DD had the Sterling Silver Pork Chop topped with Smoked Gouda and Apricot Preserve served over Napa Cabbage, Bacon, and Potato Hash with Apple Cider Jus. She liked this alot and gave it very good marks in her dining review notes.

Sterling Silver Pork Chop

For my entrée, I followed through with my plan to try their signature Cobb Salad. This consisted of Finely-chopped Greens, Turkey Breast, Bacon, Egg, Tomatoes, Crumbled Blue Cheese, Avocado, Chives, and Cobb Dressing.

The Famous Cobb Salad (before mixing)

When ordering, our server asked if I wanted my salad mixed and if I wanted the dressing mixed with the salad or served on the side. I chose to have them mix it for me and to include the dressing. Another server, other than Darrin, came to our table to mix the salad.

Cobb Salad being mixed

And then...

The Famous Cobb Salad (after mixing)

Although the salad was good, it was a little “too wet” (too much dressing) and I wished I had chosen to have the dressing served on the side. IMHO, as far as Cobb salads go, this was just good, not great. In fact, I’d have to say that I like the Southwestern Cobb salad at Chili’s better than this one.
However, I might try this again sometime with the dressing on the side, which might change my opinion.

I had had thoughts of trying the famous Brown Derby Grapefruit Cake for dessert, but when it came time to order it we decided we were too full for dessert. But that didn’t stop us from devouring this delicious chocolate mousse dessert that they brought me for my birthday. I don’t see anything like this listed on their dessert menu so it must be something they serve only for guests celebrating birthdays, etc.

Complimentary Chocolate Mousse Dessert

I have one last thing to add regarding this meal. From start to finish we had excellent service here from Darrin and the various other waitstaff (our salad tosser, etc.) They made us feel like we were actually Hollywood stars. On this trip, there was only one other Signature meal (still yet to come) where we received this level of service. Stay tuned to find out where.

So all in all, we had a pretty good meal at the Brown Derby. There were a few minor disappointments, such as the Cobb salad but I think that if I order the dressing on the side next time that might remedy the situation. Which brings to mind a scene from one of my favorite movies, When Harry Met Sally.

Scene: Sally placing her order at a restaurant

Sally: I'd like the chef salad please with oil and vinegar on the side, and the apple pie a la mode.
Waitress: Chef and apple a la mode.
Sally: But I'd like the pie heated, and I don't want the ice cream on top. I want it on the side, and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it. If not, then no ice cream, just whipped cream, but only if it's real. If it's out of the can, then nothing.
Waitress: Not even the pie?
Sally: No, just the pie, but then not heated.

I really love that movie…so many great lines and scenes!

Well, as they say in Hollywood, That’s a wrap!

So here are the numbers…

Total OOP cost of meal (including 18% TIW required gratuity plus a little extra) – $82.00

20% TIW Discount on meal - $15.60

NEXT UP: Snacks from the Writer’s Shop

Last edited by jabead; 06-28-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #113
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Good review of Brown Derby. It used to be my 4th favorite signature, but it's recently dropped to #8 (only ahead of Citricos). I'm a Cobb salad fan, and I like the one at HBD with dressing on the side, but I had a salmon entree there that wasn't amazing.

I liked your comments on the ribbon cutting ceremony and the service at Brown Derby - the old Hollywood touches are wonderful!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #114
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Unfortunately, I don't. I visit Boston once or twice a year but just for a weekend mostly to see the Red Sox and we just do the typical tourist stuff. I definitely know more about Disney than my own "neighborhood"!
I'm the same way. I know way more about Disney World than I do about Chicago, a city in my own state. I've been to downtown Chicago several times, but I wouldn't be able to give anyone directions, give them advice on where to eat, or tell them which hotels are good, etc. Now if they asked me those same questions about Disney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmom View Post
I was in Boston 2 years ago. It is an expensive city, but lots of historical places to visit. I rode a bus around that you could get off at certain stops for as long as you wanted. That was nice.

Was that the trolley? I think I remember reading something about a trolley that you can get on/off while seeing the sights. We will only be in downtown Boston for two of our 10 days and plan to walk and see all the historical sites on the Freedom Trail, which is 2.5 miles long (kind of like walking around Epcot for a full day ) So anyway, that will probably take most or all of one of those days. The 2nd day we are thinking of maybe the Duck Tour and/or the Museum of Art (DD2's request). And you are quite right, from what I've read so far, Boston is a pretty expensive place to visit. Oh well, maybe DH won't complain so much about Disney prices anymore.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #115
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Good review of Brown Derby. It used to be my 4th favorite signature, but it's recently dropped to #8 (only ahead of Citricos).
Thanks Donald!

Ahhh, yes...Citricos. I too was not impressed with it on my first visit there with my DH last year. But it is so highly regarded here on the boards that I decided to give it another try on this trip. Stay tuned to find out if my opinion of Citricos has changed.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #116
jabead
DIS Veteran

After riding a few more rides, including a second time on Star Tours (which btw, was even better than the first) using our fastpasses, it was mid-afternoon and we were ready to share a snack. We happened to be in the area of the Writer’s Shop (near Sci-Fi Dine In Theater) so we went in to check it out. We had never been inside this place before and were pleasantly surprised to find that it was nice and cool (on a hot day) and very quiet (only a few other people there). And the best part was that they had a large display case full of baked goodies.

Just a few of the things available at the Writer's Shop for a snack credit

I sooooo wanted to get one of these Giant Mickey Chocolate Chip Cookies, but sadly they were one of the few things not available for purchase here with a snack credit.

Mickey Giant Cookie

Then I spotted the Carrot Cake Cookie, which I’d heard about here on the boards, and happily we were able to use a snack credit for it. We also got an Iced Latte, again for a snack credit, to have with it.

Iced Latte and Carrot Cake Cookie

Just in case you are not already familiar with it, the Carrot Cake Cookie has two soft carrot cake-like cookies with a layer of cream cheese frosting sandwiched in between. This was quite good but very filling and the two of us couldn’t finish it.

Carrot Cake Cookie (inside view)

This place was a great find for us! It would definitely be a good place to have breakfast in the morning, as I’m sure it would be much less crowded here (being more off the beaten path) than at Starring Rolls. In addition to a wide variety of muffins and cookies, they had cinnamon rolls and other pastries (most of them available for a snack credit). For drinks, besides regular coffee, they had hot and cold coffee drinks (including cappuccinos, lattes, mochaccinos, etc.), hot chocolate and tea, milk, soda, etc. They don’t have a lot of seating available, but what they do have is inside so that can be a plus when it’s hot or rainy outside. So that concludes my unpaid endorsement for the Writer’s Shop.

2 snack credits used (Value approx. $6.50), 7 more to go

NEXT UP: Happy Hour at the Tune In Lounge

Last edited by jabead; 06-29-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #118
Schmoodle
DIS Veteran

Just joined in, great reviews so far. Late Happy Birthday! That's what grabbed me, as I'm in the beginning stages of planning a 59th birthday trip for me and my friend in fall 2012. Anyway, thanks for the reviews. The Writer's Stop is one of my favorite places! I always make sure to have a little quiet time there in the squishy armchair.

1974 - Family Camping Trip
January 1991 - Family Trip to Westgate Vacation Villas
May 1996 - Best Girlfriend's Trip, Vacation Villas at Fantasy World
July 1998 - Hottest Trip Ever! Parkway International Resort
December 2002 - Multi-Family Dance Trip to Sheraton Vistana Resort
December 2004 - Anthony and Gabbie's First Visit (Can't remember the name of the condo and don't want to try)
October 2008 - The Kids and I stay at Marrott Grande Vista
September 2009 - The Quest for Grownup Food and CSR (First On-Site) stay
January 2010 - Gabbie's Birthday Trip to Carribean Beach Resort and Wilderness Lodge
March 2010 - Sneaking away from work for a day at Epcot and the Boardwalk Inn
August 2011 - Cheating on Mickey Trip

Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #119
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
We love to go to Writer's Stop for the frozen drinks, the passionfruit mango one is excellent!
Darn! I didn't know they also had frozen drinks too. And passionfruit mango sounds delicious. Thanks for the heads up, Nicki! I hope I remember this next time I'm there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Just joined in, great reviews so far. Late Happy Birthday! That's what grabbed me, as I'm in the beginning stages of planning a 59th birthday trip for me and my friend in fall 2012. Anyway, thanks for the reviews. The Writer's Stop is one of my favorite places! I always make sure to have a little quiet time there in the squishy armchair.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Schmoodle and thanks for joining in! And now that you mentioned it, I do remember seeing the squishy armchair there. We sat at a table since it was easier to share the cookie and drink that way, but that armchair did look pretty comfy.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #120
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

Love Writers Stop!! Never knew it was there until I found out here on the Dis a couple years back

And the Carrot Cake Cookie I so could eat one right now
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: